- --March 2014--
- 2014/03/31: DemNow: Egyptian Activist Alaa Abd El-Fattah on Prison & Regime’s "War on a Whole Generation"
- 2014/03/31: BBC: Turkey hijacks [Domain Name] servers in social media crackdown
- 2014/03/31: CSM: When Pollard comes up, it's a sign Israeli-Palestinian peace talks have derailed
- 2014/03/31: RT: Turkey elections: Erdogan won’t show white flag
- 2014/03/31: RT: Christians flee Syria’s Kessab, Twitter cries atrocities, Armenia accuses Turkey
- 2014/03/28: 972Mag: Iranian nuclear talks: Not what Israel wants you to believe
How are the Iranian nuclear talks really going? The answer is: very well, thanks for asking.
- 2014/03/31: AntiWar: US May Release Pollard to Extend Israel Talks Through December -- White House's Usual 'No' Becomes 'No Comment' Amid Latest Reports
- 2014/03/31: AntiWar: Syria Ups Border Defenses Near Turkey as Tensions Soar -- Accuses Turkey of Arming Foreign Fighters in Latakia
- 2014/03/31: AntiWar: Palestinians Slam Israeli ‘Blackmail’ as Kerry Tries to Salvage Talks -- Won't Extend Talks Unless Israel Follows Through on Releases
- 2014/03/31: BBC: US 'may free Israel spy Jonathan Pollard'
- 2014/03/31: Guardian(UK): John Kerry returns to Middle East with peace talks close to crisis
US trying to convince Palestinians to prolong talks beyond deadline and Israel to release fourth tranche of prisoners
- 2014/03/31: Guardian(UK): John Kerry returns to Middle East at critical point in peace talks
- 2014/03/31: Guardian(UK): Ehud Olmert found guilty of corruption by Israeli court
- 2014/03/31: Guardian(UK): Three al-Jazeera journalists denied bail in Egyptian court once more
The trio are accused of aiding terrorists and include a former BBC journalist, Peter Greste, and a Canadian ex-CNN journalist
- 2014/03/31: Guardian(UK): Egypt's al-Jazeera trial was inspired by America's global war on journalism
From a War on Terror to a war on leaks, now comes America's shadow influence on a media crackdown
- 2014/03/31: Guardian(UK): Egyptian journalist shot dead
An Egyptian journalist, Mayada Ashraf, was shot dead on Friday (28 March) while covering clashes in Cairo. It is unknown who was responsible for her death.
- 2014/03/30: CCurrents: Arab League Impotence Continues And What A Mess The Arab World Is In
A thought constantly in my mind, and which was reinforced by the Arab League’s 25th Summit in Kuwait, is that with Arab leaders and governments as "enemies" the Zionist state of Israel does not need friends.
- 2014/03/31: IndiaTimes: Egypt accuses Al Jazeera editor [Ibrahim Mohamed Hilal] of Morsi-linked espionage
- 2014/03/31: IndiaTimes: Israeli court convicts ex-PM Ehud Olmert in bribery case
- 2014/03/31: RT: Obama in Saudi Arabia: Will Riyadh really go it alone?
Saudi officials are highly displeased over Washington’s overtures to Iran and reluctance to strike Syria and have threatened to break away from the US sphere, but the monarchy may still see an oil-for-security partnership with the US as the safest policy.
- 2014/03/31: RT: Israel’s Netanyahu lashes back at UN over ‘march of hypocrisy’
The Israeli PM harshly criticized the UN Human Rights Council for condemning Israel in five resolutions lately. Tel Aviv is under heavy pressure of the international community trying to prevent the collapse of the peace negotiations with the Palestinians.
- 2014/03/29: RT: Turkey: Turning mayoral elections into Armageddon rehearsal
- al Shorfa
- 2014/03/28 al Shorfa: Syrians suffer as al-Qaeda, Chechen fighters pursue their own agendas: analysts
- 2014/03/30: DefenseNews: Israel Banks on 10 More Years of US Aid -- Promised Funding Pact To Cover Commercial Debt
- 2014/03/30: AntiWar: Protesters Slam Israel on Prisoner Release, But PA Waiting for US Action
US Warns Israel: We Can't Stop Palestinian Statehood at UN If Talks Collapse
- 2014/03/29: SST: A note from Turkey
- 2014/03/29: SST: Why is Saudi Arabia still thought a "vital ally" for the US?
- 2014/03/28: SST: "Secrets about suspected Israeli theft of U.S. weapons-grade nuclear material declassified" IRMEP
- 2014/03/24: SST: Egypt sentences 529 to death
- 2014/03/23: SST: Prisoner Exchange: Pollard for Palestinians? - Peggy
- 2014/03/31: BBC: Israel's ex-PM Ehud Olmert convicted of bribery
- 2014/03/31: CBC: Turkey municipal elections spark deadly violence
8 killed in isolated clashes as Erdogan allies seek re-election in key cities
- 2014/03/31: al Jazeera: Egypt comes full circle: The end of the Arab Spring
The death sentences for 529 defendants in Minya are a step back for democracy in Egypt.
- 2014/03/31: al Jazeera: Sisi mocked in Egypt internet campaign
Presidential hopeful subject of sarcastic "vote for the pimp" movement on social media, leading to calls for a ban.
- 2014/03/31: al Jazeera: Israeli ex-PM Olmert convicted of corruption
Tel Aviv district court finds former prime minister Ehud Olmert guilty of corruption linked to property development.
- 2014/03/31: al Jazeera: Israel offers Palestinians new talks proposal
The move aims to prevent collapse of peace process, after Tel Aviv failed to free 26 Palestinian prisoners.
- 2014/03/29: al Jazeera: 'Despising' Judith Butler and the future of Zionism
The only hope for a lasting peace in Israel and/or Palestine lies in a reimagination of the two nationalisms.
- 2014/03/30: BBC: Turkey's Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has claimed victory in a local election, and vowed that his enemies would "pay the price"
- 2014/03/30: Guardian(UK): Turkish local elections: AKP set for victory
- 2014/03/30: Guardian(UK): General begins Israel visit as US mediators seek to save peace talks
- 2014/03/30: Guardian(UK): Spanish journalists freed in Syria after six-month ordeal
- 2014/03/30: Guardian(UK): Egypt's presidential election to be held in late May
- 2014/03/30: EUO: Erdogan sues Zaman editor-in-chief
- 2014/03/29: flc: Saudia to Obama: "Hey Mr. President; we have done our job. We have antagonized our al Qaeda friends for you. Now it's your turn to help us finish Assad!"
- 2014/03/29: BBC: Soldiers killed by Lebanon car bomb
A suicide car bomber has attacked a Lebanese army checkpoint near the Syrian border, killing three soldiers, reports say.
Four more soldiers were reported wounded in the blast, on the outskirts of the town of Arsal.
Tension has been high since the Syrian army captured Yabroud, a strategic town just over the border, a fortnight ago.
- 2014/03/29: Guardian(UK): Top US general to meet Israeli defence minister in Jerusalem
Martin Dempsey, joint chiefs of staff chairman, flies to Israel - Defence minister Moshe Yaalon ridiculed US foreign policy
- 2014/03/29: Guardian(UK): The Arab renaissance is a centenary we must honour in 2014
The Arab world should again embrace the principles behind this great intellectual awakening and its dream of a borderless nation
- 2014/03/28: CSM: Obama meets with Saudi king. Could they counter Russia with oil?
- 2014/03/29: IndiaTimes: Obama defends not using force in Syria
- 2014/03/28: RT: YouTube ban: How Turkish officials conspired to stage Syria attack to provoke war
"I'll make up a cause of war by ordering a missile attack on Turkey." This leaked conversation is coming back to haunt the highest echelons of the Turkish government as it plans a provocation in Syria, while scrambling to contain social media internally.
The leaked audiotapes that reveal Turkey’s highest ministers staging an anti-Assad military intervention in Syria, have already caused YouTube to be shut down in the country, as well as leading to fevered accusations of treachery and betrayal of Turkey’s political interests -- "a declaration of war," as Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu put it.
- 2014/03/28: RT: Obama considers sending anti-aircraft weapons to Syrian opposition
- 2014/03/27: RT: Historical Iranian nuclear deal to be shelved again?
- 2014/03/26: DemNow: Egypt’s Courts Further Repression with Journos on Trial & Mass Death Sentence for Morsi Supporters
- 2014/03/26: DemNow: Obama to Visit Saudi Arabia, Key Source of Funding for Growing Jihadi Militarism in Middle East
- 2014/03/28: TheIntercept: US Takes a Break From Condemning Tyranny to Celebrate Obama’s Visit to Saudi Arabia
- 2014/03/28: AntiWar: Israel Reneges on Prisoner Release in Major Blow to Peace Talks -- Deputy DM: Peace Talks Going Nowhere Anyhow
- 2014/03/28: AntiWar: Settlers Prepare to Move Into East Jerusalem Commercial District -- Move Part of Far-Right Group's Effort to Settle in Palestinian Areas
- 2014/03/28: AntiWar: Obama May Allow Anti-Aircraft Missile Shipments to Syria Rebels -- Rebels Have Vowed to Attack Civilian Aircraft
- 2014/03/26: DerSpiegel: Israel's Wildcard: The Man Who Could Stop The Peace Process
Naftali Bennett, the head of the the settlements party Jewish Home rejects negotiations with the Palestinians and says he will allow the Israeli government to collapse if necessary. A decision on whether talks will proceed is expected this week.
- 2014/03/29: WSWS: Turkish officials plan false-flag attacks to create pretext for war with Syria
- 2014/03/29: WSWS: In talks with Saudi monarch, Obama prepares escalation of US-backed war in Syria
- 2014/03/29: al Jazeera: Israel shuns Palestinian prisoner deal
Israel tells Palestinians it will not release fourth group of prisoners by March 29 deadline, jeopardising peace talks.
- 2014/03/29: al Jazeera: Egypt police clash with anti-Sisi protesters
Five killed, including a female journalist, in violence at anti-government rallies in Cairo and Alexandria.
- 2014/03/28: flc: Western MSM almost totally avoid the Turkish false flag attack plans for Syria
- 2014/03/28: flc: Kerry encouraged Erdogan to invade Syria
- 2014/03/28: flc: Turkish nomenklatura up in arms. Reason? the 'Inside job' & not the 'planned false flag attack on Syria'
- 2014/03/27: NYT: Recordings, Posted Online, Rattle Officials in Turkey
- 2014/03/28: AANS: U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry repeatedly asked about and seemed to encourage a Turkish invasion of Syria
- 2014/03/28: AANS: The Turkish plot in Syria
- 2014/03/28: BBC: Egypt detainees 'routinely tortured'
Brutal beatings, sexual abuse, and electric shocks are being carried out on detainees, including teenage children, in Egypt, according to testimonies gathered by the BBC.
- 2014/03/28: Guardian(UK): Iranians sue UK banks over closed accounts, claiming racial discrimination
- 2014/03/28: Guardian(UK): Libya poised to retake oil ports from rebels in move that could split country
- 2014/03/28: Guardian(UK): Release Marwan Barghouti. He can be Palestine's Nelson Mandela
- 2014/03/28: Guardian(UK): Saudi Arabia: Obama seeks to ease backlash over Syria
US president said to be considering sending air defence systems to Syrian rebels following discussion with King Abdullah
- 2014/03/28: Guardian(UK): Morsi's overthrow helps Egypt's pork farmers get their sizzle back
Coptic Christian breeders enjoy surge in sales but pig farming still illegal and recovering from 2009 swine flu cull
- 2014/03/28: Guardian(UK): Turkey's YouTube and Twitter bans show a government in serious trouble
- 2014/03/28: Guardian(UK): Obama lands in Saudi Arabia to help soothe relations with key ally
- 2014/03/28: MoA: Media Neglect Turkish False Flag Attack Leak And Its Implications
- 2014/03/27: CSM: Turkey bans YouTube as Syrian incursion plan is exposed
Turkey banned YouTube today, a week after banning Twitter in response to damaging leaks connected to the Turkish government.
But today's ban followed the leaking of an audio recording of top officials discussing a possible military strike in Syria – a security breach that prompted a furious reaction from the government.
- 2014/03/27: AntiWar: Leak: Turkey Officials Talk Invasion of Northern Syria -- Furious Turkish FM Dubs Leak a 'Declaration of War'
- 2014/03/27: AntiWar: Qatar Announces $23 Billion Arms Purchase -- Deal Includes Attack Helicopters From Both US, France
- 2014/03/28: WSWS: Egyptian coup leader al-Sisi announces presidential candidacy
- 2014/03/28: Asia Times: Palestinian leaders' showdown turns ugly
- 2014/03/27: BBC: Turkey moves to block YouTube access after 'audio leak'
- 2014/03/27: FDL: Academic Freedom & the Suppression of a Professor Who Teaches the Reality of Israeli Military Occupation
- 2014/03/27: Guardian(UK): Waste not: Egypt's refuse collectors regain role at heart of Cairo society
- 2014/03/26: CCurrents: Mahmoud Abbas vs Mohammed Dahlan: The Showdown Begins
- 2014/03/26: CCurrents: The Deviants Of Tel Aviv
- 2014/03/27: Xinhuanet: Egypt's Sedki swears in as new defense minister
- 2014/03/27: IndiaTimes: Recep Tayyip Erdogan: Turkish strongman under corruption cloud
- 2014/03/26: NYT: ‘Environmental Poisoning’ of Iraq Is Claimed
- 2014/03/26: AntiWar: Egypt Junta Orders More Mass Trials: Over 2100 Now Face Death -- Many Are Being Tried in Absentia for Links to Ousted Govt
- 2014/03/26: AntiWar: Report: Al-Qaeda Has Long-Term Plans for Westerners in Syria -- Pakistan Jihadists Sent to Train Westerners for Attacks Elsewhere
- 2014/03/26: WSWS: Egypt on the verge of a social explosion
- 2014/03/27: al Jazeera: Opposition fail to get Syria Arab League seat
SNC unable to convince body to hand it Syria's seat but will attend ministerial meetings on an "exceptional basis".
- 2014/03/27: al Jazeera: Kerry meets Abbas as peace process founders
Kerry and Abbas spoke for more than four hours over a working dinner as efforts to salvage peace talks continue.
US Secretary of State John Kerry has met the Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas in a bid to salvage foundering peace talks that were dealt a new blow when Arab leaders said they would never recognise Israel as a Jewish state.
- 2014/03/27: al Jazeera: Egypt's Sisi quits army to run for president
Military chief who toppled Mohamed Morsi says he has decided to give up his uniform so that he can "defend the nation."
- 2014/03/26: BBC: Egypt's military chief Sisi quits to run for presidency
- 2014/03/26: Guardian(UK): Palestinians renew calls to free 'leader-in-waiting' Marwan Barghouti
- 2014/03/26: Guardian(UK): Syrian crisis: where the US stands on Assad, the rebels and the refugees
- 2014/03/26: Guardian(UK): The Syria conflict has lethal momentum
Bloodshed, not just refugees, is crossing the border from Syria -- and the picture gets bleaker by the day
- 2014/03/27: Guardian(UK): Iran and Iraq account for global rise in capital punishment
At least 778 executions were carried out in 2013, 538 of them in Iran and Iraq, according to Amnesty International report
- 2014/03/26: Guardian(UK): [Letters] Kurdish recovery
- 2014/03/26: Guardian(UK): Abdel Fatah al-Sisi resigns from Egypt military to run for presidency
- 2014/03/26: Guardian(UK): Egypt prosecutor orders third mass trial for 919 islamists
- 2014/03/26: Guardian(UK): John Kerry meets Mahmoud Abbas in bid to rescue Middle East peace talks
Meeting comes hours after Arab League releases statement saying it will never recognise Israel as a 'Jewish state'
- 2014/03/26: Guardian(UK): Osama bin Laden's son-in-law found guilty of conspiring to kill Americans
Kuwaiti imam Suleiman Abu Ghaith faces life in prison after being found guilty on three terrorism charges in New York court
- 2014/03/26: CBC: Egypt's Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi resigns from military to run for president
- 2014/03/26: BBC: Court in Turkey moves to suspend ban on Twitter
- 2014/03/24: FAIR: Suspect Ships: Is Everything About Iran Threatening?
- 2014/03/25: FAIR: Pundits Never Have to Say They're Sorry -- but They Can Demand Others Apologize for Being Right
- 2014/03/25: CPunch: The Irrelevance of the Israel-Palestine Talks
US Desperate to Keep Futile Peace Process Show on the Road a Little Longer
- 2014/03/25: CPunch: Is Israel Running Scared? BDS: Non-Violent Resistance to Israeli Occupation
- 2014/03/26: al Jazeera: Erdogan's 'megalomaniac' projects
The value and utility of three mega projects developed by the Turkish government is under question.
- 2014/03/25: Guardian(UK): Plan to transfer Arab-Israelis to new Palestinian state seeks legal approval
Israel's hardline foreign minister Avigdor Lieberman who suggested the controversial idea is seeking secret legal advice
- 2014/03/25: Guardian(UK): Bashar al-Assad's home village under threat from Syrian opposition forces
- 2014/03/25: Guardian(UK): Syrian refugees arrive in the UK as part of scheme to relocate conflict victims
- 2014/03/25: Guardian(UK): Egyptian policeman's wife casts doubt on death sentences handed out to 529
- 2014/03/25: Guardian(UK): A death sentence not just for hundreds of Islamists, but Egypt's democratic future
The judiciary's role in the sentencing of almost 530 Muslim Brotherhood supporters could destroy faith in the electoral process
- 2014/03/25: Guardian(UK): New Muslim Brotherhood mass trial opens in Egypt with 683 defendants
- 2014/03/25: Guardian(UK): Israeli boycott case: Sydney academic's lawyers say claims are pumped up
- 2014/03/25: RT: Turkey sprawl: Only real model of democratic Islam is rapidly crumbling
At the end of this week month there will be a very special rendezvous in Turkey.
The local elections March 30 will decide not only the new mayors of Istanbul, Ankara and Izmir, among others: after the current season of scandals and rampant authoritarianism, it will be a crucial test to assess whether Prime Minister Erdogan is still able to play the old game. The dream of a moderate Islamism ‘alla Turca’ is indeed crumbling away.
- 2014/03/25: TAP: Disrespecting Your Defender
As he insults the Obama administration, Israeli Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon weakens his own country.
- 2014/03/24: flc: "No wonder western governments and journalists who hailed the success of the Libya intervention are so silent"
- 2014/03/24: Belfer:IranMatters: Will US sanctions scuttle a nuclear deal with Iran?
- 2014/03/25: WSWS: US-backed military junta in Egypt sentences 529 Brotherhood members to death
- 2014/03/25: al Jazeera: Arab League summit to begin amid divisions
Leaders hold annual meeting in Kuwait amid diplomatic fallout among Gulf countries and tension over Syria and Egypt.
- 2014/03/24: Guardian(UK): As Iran's new year dawns, sanctions keep economic outlook in the dark
- 2014/03/24: Guardian(UK): Libya is a disaster we helped create. The west must take responsibility
- 2014/03/24: Guardian(UK): Anger in Egypt as 529 Morsi supporters sentenced to death
- 2014/03/24: Guardian(UK): Egypt has no evidence against us, says detained al-Jazeera journalist
- 2014/03/24: Guardian(UK): Egypt sentences to death 529 supporters of Mohamed Morsi
- 2014/03/24: Guardian(UK): TV news presenters join campaign to free jailed Al-Jazeera journalists
- 2014/03/24: RT: Egypt court sentences 529 Muslim Brotherhood supporters to death
- 2014/03/20: UNZ: Al-Qa'Ida, the Second Act: The Hate Preachers Fuelling Sectarianism
In the final part of his series, Patrick Cockburn explains how Sunni fundamentalist groups are successfully winning recruits through well-funded internet propaganda
- 2014/03/24: al Jazeera: Twenty soldiers killed in Yemen attack
Military blames al-Qaeda for attack targeting checkpoint in Hadramawt province.
- 2014/03/24: al Jazeera: Yes, we ban: Deconstructing Erdogan's language
Erdogan's increasingly personalist authoritarianism should be taken seriously.
- 2014/03/24: al Jazeera: Can the Kuwait Summit prevent another Arab Cold War?
Summit will be successful if it prevents further escalation between rival brothers and the breakout of a mini Cold War.
- 2014/03/24: al Jazeera: Muslim Brotherhood members sentenced to death
Egyptian court sentences 529 members of the outlawed group to death on charges of murder.
- 2014/03/24: al Jazeera: The Dahlan factor
The Israeli and US betting on the Dahlan horse will only increase the resolve of the Palestinians and their supporters.
- 2014/03/24: BBC: Egypt court sentences 528 Morsi supporters to death
- 2014/03/24: ABC(Au): Egypt unrest: Court sentences 529 Muslim Brotherhood members to death
- 2014/03/24: CBC: Egypt sentences 529 Muslim Brotherhood members to death
- 2014/03/24: Asia Times: Egypt becomes battleground for Arab world
- 2014/03/23: flc: Embattled Erdogan avenges the downing of a Turkish jetfighter while assisting al Qaeda
- 2014/03/23: flc: 'You are wimps, but please help!'
- 2014/03/19: SST: Israel attacked Syria for no good reason
- 2014/03/17: SST: "Pro-regime Sunni fighters in Aleppo " Al-Monitor
- 2014/03/23: BBC: Turkey downs Syria military jet 'in airspace violation'
- 2014/03/23: Guardian(UK): Iran says replica US aircraft carrier is really a movie prop
US intelligence suspected ship was for propaganda use - Film is about US shooting-down of Iranian airliner in 1988
- 2014/03/23: Guardian(UK): Erdogan tells critics: 'I'm not listening'
- 2014/03/23: Guardian(UK): Turkey shoots down Syrian warplane
Turkish reports say jet went down in buffer zone along border as Syria says incident is a 'blatant aggression'
- 2014/03/23: Guardian(UK): Peter Greste and his al-Jazeera colleagues due back in court
- 2014/03/23: BBC: Turkish Finance Minister Mehmet Simsek has defended his government's ban on Twitter, accusing the website of failing to comply with court orders
- 2014/03/23: BBC: Lebanon clashes: Violence in Beirut among Syria rivals
- 2014/03/23: al Jazeera: Clashes flare in Lebanese capital
Pro-Damascus gunmen clash with rivals in Beirut, in the latest apparent spillover of the conflict in neighbouring Syria.
- 2014/03/22: Guardian(UK): Senators urge Obama to stand firm over Iran nuclear talks
- 2014/03/22: Guardian(UK): US sailors hand over control of captured oil tanker to Libyan forces
- 2014/03/22: Guardian(UK): Israeli forces kill four Palestinians in West Bank shootout
- 2014/03/23: Guardian(UK): Egypt's spring 2014: is the counter-revolution now complete?
- 2014/03/22: Guardian(UK): Al-Jazeera journalist, Mohamed Fahmy, jailed in Egypt loses full use of arm
- 2014/03/22: UN: UN envoy gravely concerned at reported plans for new Israeli settlements
- 2014/03/20: UNZ: Al-Qa'Ida, the Second Act: Syria’s Secular Uprising Has Been Hijacked by Jihadists
- 2014/03/21: AntiWar: Senators: Despite Budget Cuts, US Aid to Israel Secure
- 2014/03/21: AntiWar: Syrian Army Kills 93 Rebels at Crusader Fort
- 2014/03/22: BBC: Three Palestinians killed in Israeli raid on Jenin
Israeli security forces have shot dead at least three Palestinians during a raid to arrest a Hamas member in the Jenin refugee camp in the West Bank.
- 2014/03/18: PostMedia: Minister mum on probe into allegation Mossad assassin got new Canadian identity, passport
The office of Citizenship and Immigration Minister Chris Alexander is evading questions about a probe related to allegations that an Israeli Mossad assassin is in Canada under a new identity provided by the government.
Public Safety Canada, which oversees the RCMP and the Canadian Security Intelligence Service, also has avoiding talking about the case, which has upset senior security intelligence officials after being reported by the Citizen and other news media in February.
- 2014/03/22: al Jazeera: Anti-coup demonstrators rally in Egypt
Thousands of protesters stage fresh rallies in Cairo for a third straight day as part of an 11-day anti-coup campaign.
- 2014/03/22: al Jazeera: Twitter users ridicule Turkey ban
Turkish and global social media users mock moves by Turkish government to restrict access to social media platform.
- 2014/03/22: al Jazeera: Palestinians killed in West Bank clashes
At least three Palestinians are killed and 11 others injured in confrontations with Israeli forces in Jenin.
- 2014/03/22: al Jazeera: Morsi supporters face mass trial in Egypt
Judicial sources say more than 1,200 supporters, including Muslim Brotherhood supreme guide Mohamed Badie, face charges.
- 2014/03/22: BBC: Thousands join rare Algeria rally
Thousands of Algerian opposition supporters have called for a boycott of next month's presidential election, during an unprecedented mass rally.
Islamist and secular opposition parties at the rally denounced 77-year-old President Abdelaziz Bouteflika's attempt to win a fourth term of office.
They say a stroke last year has left him unfit to govern.
- 2014/03/21: Guardian(UK): We tech-savvy Turks are more than a match for Erdogan's Twitter ban
- 2014/03/21: Guardian(UK): Turkey's Twitter block and propaganda be damned: revolutions will be tweeted
- 2014/03/21: Guardian(UK): Despite the cruelties heaped on them, Palestinian refugees' spirit has not broken
- 2014/03/21: MoA: After Twitter Ban Erdo-gone
- 2014/03/21: UN: UN expert calls for assessing legal status of prolonged Israeli occupation of Palestinian lands
- 2014/03/20: AntiWar: IAEA: Iran Meeting All Commitments in Nuclear Deal
- 2014/03/20: AntiWar: Iran, West Far Apart, But Hopeful on Final Nuclear Deal by July
- 2014/03/21: CPunch: The Origins of the Israel Lobby in the US
- 2014/03/21: CPunch: How Syria’s Secular Uprising Was Hijacked by Jihadists
- 2014/03/21: BBC: President Abdullah Gul has challenged a ban on Twitter in Turkey after Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan vowed to "wipe out" the micro-blogging service
- 2014/03/21: al Jazeera: Palestine: From pillar to post
Far too many countries are quite eager to shelve the Palestinian conflict in return for a spurious deal.
- 2014/03/21: al Jazeera: Gun battles flare in Lebanon's Tripoli
At least three people are killed in latest clashes linked to the civil war in neighbouring Syria.
- 2014/03/21: al Jazeera: Egypt's 'shallow state' and Hamas
Egypt's banning of Hamas is unique throughout the history of Arab relationships, and it's likely to backfire.
- 2014/03/19: al Jazeera: US and Iran: More work needed on atomic deal
Officals from both nations indicate more time needed for deal on Iran's nuclear programme after latest talks in Vienna.
- 2014/03/20: Rediff:B: Syrian endgame triggers realignments by M K Bhadrakumar
- 2014/03/21: Asia Times: Saudi grant kills Iran-Pakistan pipeline
- 2014/03/20: Guardian(UK): Turkey blocks use of Twitter after prime minister attacks social media site
- 2014/03/20: Guardian(UK): Saudi Arabia's human rights 'rebrand' is fooling no one
- 2014/03/20: Guardian(UK): Israeli architecture association faces ban from international forum
- 2014/03/20: Guardian(UK): Jordan hopes controversial Red Sea Dead Sea project will stem water crisis
- 2014/03/17: UNZ: Al-Qa’ida, the Second Act: Is Saudi Arabia Regretting Its Support for Terrorism?
- 2014/03/15: National(Ae): The loaded terms Israel uses to justify its inflexible stance
- 2014/03/19: AntiWar: New Israeli Budget Includes Billions for Attacking Iran -- Army Chief: We Can Operate in Iran Whenever We Need to
- 2014/03/20: BBC: Almost half of Syria's chemical weapons removed - OPCW
- 2014/03/20: WSWS: US Navy SEALs seize tanker carrying Libyan oil
- 2014/03/20: WSWS: Israel air strikes on Syrian military raise Mideast tensions
- 2014/03/20: al Jazeera: Libya asks world to help it fight 'terrorism'
Appeal comes after wave of bombings and assassinations, and clashes between government and militias.
- 2014/03/20: al Jazeera: Syria closes Lebanon border amid clashes
Syria closes Bqaiaa crossing in Wadi Khaled region amid intense fighting that has spilled over into Lebanese territory.
- 2014/03/20: al Jazeera: Dozens killed in another bloody day for Iraq
Clashes and shelling in Fallujah, and violence in Baghdad and elsewhere kill 37 as elections loom.
- 2014/03/19: Guardian(UK): Israel is warned of being sucked into Syrian conflict after Golan bombings
- 2014/03/19: Guardian(UK): Israel bombs Syrians on Golan Heights
- 2014/03/19: Guardian(UK): Sydney man killed in Syrian fighting revealed to be former Australian soldier
- 2014/03/19: CCurrents: Palestinian Authority: Israel's Doppelgänger
- 2014/03/18: CCurrents: Counterproductive Reactive Saudi Policies
- 2014/03/17: DemNow: Endless War? As Syria Conflict Enters 4th Year, Deadly Stalemate Favors Assad Regime
- 2014/03/19: DerSpiegel: Three Years of Revolt: What Has Become of Syria's Revolutionaries
They have fled, they are hungry, they are doing what they can to survive: The Syrian civil war has caused great suffering since the protests agains President Bashar Assad began three years ago. We revisit some of those people we have met in our reporting.
- 2014/03/19: DerSpiegel: Erdogan and the Traitors: Scandal and Protests Threaten Turkey's AKP
Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan is facing the most difficult challenge of his premiership. Corruption scandals, a weakening economy and a draining battle with the Gülen movement have the leader reeling ahead of important local elections.
- 2014/03/19: CBC: Syria says Israeli airstrikes kill 1 soldier, wound 7
Israel says airstrike a response to roadside bombing in Golan Heights that wounded 4 soldiers
- 2014/03/19: al Jazeera: Iraqi Kurds: Yesterday's victims show little compassion?
Syrian Kurds have historically stood in solidarity with the Kurdish movement in Iraq, but the feeling is not mutual.
- 2014/03/19: al Jazeera: Deadly shootout in Egypt's Nile Delta
Brigadier general, colonel and five fighters killed in clashes between military and armed group in Qalyubia province.
- 2014/03/19: al Jazeera: Crude disputes stain Palestinian oil tender
Palestinians want to start oil production but some worry Israel will stand in the way.
- 2014/03/19: CTV: Israeli air force warplanes strike targets in Syria
Israeli warplanes unleashed a series of airstrikes on Syrian military posts early Wednesday, killing one soldier and wounding seven in one of the most serious clashes between the countries in the past four decades.
The airstrikes came in retaliation for a roadside bombing a day earlier in the Golan Heights that wounded four Israeli soldiers on patrol along the tense frontier with Syria.
- 2014/03/19: Asia Times: Gulf an 'Eldorado' for arms sales
- 2014/03/18: Guardian(UK): Obama and Abbas meeting 'difficult', says chief Palestinian negotiator
Saeb Erekat said delegation showed US president ‘very ugly map’ of recent Israeli settlements at ‘candid’ meeting
- 2014/03/18: Guardian(UK): Seven Syrian migrants drown off Greek coast
- 2014/03/18: Guardian(UK): US closes Syrian embassy [in Washington] and orders diplomatic staff back to Damascus
- 2014/03/18: Guardian(UK): Suffering on two fronts in Qabaait, Lebanon: Part 2 [12 pix]
- 2014/03/18: Guardian(UK): Egypt police captain jailed for 10 years over death of 37 prisoners gassed in van
- 2014/03/18: Guardian(UK): Egypt's 'Military Inc' expands its control of the economy
From bottled water to the Suez Canal, the Egyptian army is tightening its grip on the country's business activities
- 2014/03/18: Guardian(UK): Interim Egyptian president, Adly Mansour promises a ‘speedy resolution’ that would see jailed journalists freed from jail
- 2014/03/17: IranReview: Israel Provided IAEA with Fake Documents on Iran’s Nuclear Program
- 2014/03/17: AntiWar: Lebanon Fears Syria Spillover After Fall of Yabroud -- Rebel Stronghold's Loss Could Add to Strikes in East Lebanon
- 2014/03/18: ABC(Au): Serving Australian soldier killed fighting alongside Syrian rebels
- 2014/03/18: WSWS: Israel backs far-right coup in Ukraine
- 2014/03/18: al Jazeera: What now for Syria?
Syria's unprecedented human disaster renders nonsensical all talk about possible victory by either side of the conflict.
- 2014/03/18: al Jazeera: World powers and Iran start nuclear talks
Negotiators hope to reach an agreement that trims Iran's nuclear activities in exchange for end to sanctions.
- 2014/03/17: Guardian(UK): Obama urges Mahmoud Abbas to take 'tough political risks' with peace talks
Visiting Palestinian leader pressed as hundreds of his West Bank supporters staged rallies calling for him to stand up to Obama
- 2014/03/17: Guardian(UK): Nicholas Teausant, California man arrested for trying to join extremists in Syria
- 2014/03/17: Guardian(UK): US navy Seals take over oil tanker seized by Libyan rebels
- 2014/03/16: Going2Tehran: The Use of Force, the Reflexive Resort to Economic Sanctions, and the Trials of America’s Hegemonic Mindset
- 2014/03/17: CCurrents: Israel’s War On American Universities by Chris Hedges
- 2014/03/17: AntiWar: A Compromise With Iran Is Possible, if It Is Not Asked To Surrender
- 2014/03/17: AntiWar: If Spying on Senate Is So Bad, Why Is It OK for Them To Spy On Us? by Rep. Ron Paul
- 2014/03/16: AntiWar: Syrian Rebels Offer to ‘Trade’ Golan to Israel for Military Aid -- Wants Israeli Cash, IAF-Imposed 'No-Fly Zone'
- 2014/03/17: SST: Saudi Arabia turns away from the jihadis in Syria
- 2014/03/17: BBC: Navy Seals board rogue Libya oil tanker Morning Glory
- 2014/03/17: al Jazeera: US Navy SEALs board rouge Libya oil tanker
Commandos take control of ship that escaped Libya loaded with oil rebels plan to sell independently.
- 2014/03/17: al Jazeera: Lebanon car bomb kills Hezbollah leader, Abdul Rahman al-Qadhi
At least four people, including a local leader of the group, dead in latest attack related to war in neighbouring Syria.
- 2014/03/17: BBerg: U.S. Navy Seizes Tanker, Foiling Libya Rebel Attempt to Sell Oil
- 2014/03/16: Guardian(UK): Iran does not expect nuclear agreement in latest round of talks
- 2014/03/16: Guardian(UK): Syria claims to have captured rebel stronghold on Lebanese border
Fall of Yabroud, a key rebel supply line into Lebanon, would be latest success for President Assad as conflict enters fourth year
- 2014/03/16: Guardian(UK): Mosa'ab Elshamy's best shot: aftermath of protests in Rabaa al-Adaweya Square, Cairo, 14 August, 2013
'This moment showed defeat in its most bitter form ... It sums up today's Egypt in one image'
- 2014/03/16: Guardian(UK): Egypt's coup has plunged the country into catastrophe
There's no doubt Mohamed Morsi's government made mistakes, but now Sisi's regime is bringing the country to its knees
- 2014/03/16: al Jazeera: Palestinians protest UN food cuts in Gaza
Cuts to the UN Relief and Works Agency food programme have left thousands of Palestinian refugees without support.
- 2014/03/16: al Jazeera: Syrian army captures strategic border town
Backed by Lebanese Hezbollah fighters, Syrian troops clear out rebels holed up in Yabroud for months, says state TV.
- 2014/03/15: Guardian(UK): Partition of Libya looms as fight for oil sparks vicious new divide
- 2014/03/15: Guardian(UK): Six Egyptian military police killed as gunmen attack Cairo checkpoint
- 2014/03/13: LobeLog: Bibi’s Epic Fail
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s trip to the United States has ended in an unprecedented failure. On the Palestinian front, the Iranian front and the domestic US front, Netanyahu’s efforts last week ran badly aground. Let’s review the categories.
- 2014/03/13: UNZ: Israel Is No Ally - But is it even a friend?
- 2014/03/15: MoA: Syria: A "Stalemate" When One Side Is Advancing?
- 2014/03/13: ABC(Au):TDU: Silencing BDS supporters in the land of the free
The BDS movement is a logical and non-violent response to human rights abuses in Palestine, so why is it being threatened in a country like America that prides itself on free speech, asks Antony Loewenstein.
- 2014/03/13: DemNow: A War on Campus? Northeastern University Suspends Students for Justice in Palestine Chapter
- 2014/03/14: AntiWar: Al-Qaeda Faction Attacks Israel at Border with Lebanon -- Israel Shells Hezbollah Targets 'in Retaliation'
- 2014/03/15: WSWS: Protests in Turkey threaten Erdogan government
- 2014/03/15: WSWS: Ukraine coup intensifies conflicts within Iran’s elite
- 2014/03/15: al Jazeera: Syria troops make push on rebel stronghold
Government forces backed by Hezbollah fighters clash with rebels on outskirts of strategic border town.
Syrian soldiers and rebel forces are clashing at the eastern outskirts of the town of Yabroud, the last rebel bastion near the Lebanese border north of Damascus.
- 2014/03/15: al Jazeera: Cairo army police die in checkpoint attack
Six officers die as gunmen open fire in attack on outskirts of Egyptian capital, state media reports.
- 2014/03/15: al Jazeera: Iran 'thwarts sabotage at nuclear reactor'
Official at Iranian atomic authority says intelligence uncovered plot against unfinished Arak heavy water reactor.
- 2014/03/15: BBC: Six Egyptian soldiers have been killed by gunmen at a checkpoint in the northern Cairo suburb of Shubra al-Khayma...
- 2014/03/14: Guardian(UK): Syria's war, 3 years on: 'a horror film', in faces of the dead and voices of revolt
- 2014/03/14: Guardian(UK): Britain to tackle big rise in Syrian refugee girls forced to marry
- 2014/03/14: Guardian(UK): Syrians on Manus Island offered repatriation despite prospect of 'certain death'
- 2014/03/14: Guardian(UK): Egypt launches first prosecution for female genital mutilation after girl dies
- 2014/03/14: CCurrents: Return Of The Righteous by William A. Cook
- 2014/03/14: CCurrents: Why I Didn’t Make It To Gaza For International Women’s Day by Medea Benjamin
- 2014/03/13: AntiWar: Kerry: Mistake for Israel to Demand ‘Jewish State’ Recognition in Talks -- Israeli Polls Show They Want Peace, Not Recognition
- 2014/03/14: al Jazeera: Syrian rebels claim Alawites' kidnapping
Video obtained by Al Jazeera shows rebels saying they have 94 women and children who belong to Assad's minority sect.
- 2014/03/14: al Jazeera: Attacks continue despite Gaza truce claims
Israeli air raids on camps of Palestinian armed groups follow new barrage of rockets fired from Hamas-ruled territory.
- 2014/03/14: Rediff:B: Oman shows the way for India by M K Bhadrakumar
- 2014/03/13: IndRus: US dictates India’s Iran ties by M K Bhadrakumar
The reality is that the Indian-Iranian relationship atrophied in the recent years in almost direct proportion to the rising US-Iranian tensions and is nowhere near its full potential.
- 2014/03/13: Guardian(UK): Turkey protests: two more deaths feed growing discontent
- 2014/03/13: Guardian(UK): Ousting of Libyan PM Ali Zeidan brings threat of civil war
- 2014/03/13: Guardian(UK): David Cameron renews criticisms of humanitarian situation in Gaza
British PM pessimistic about prospects for agreement but says Netanyahu and Abbas are 'willing to be partners for peace'
- 2014/03/13: Guardian(UK): Gaza's Islamic Jihad says truce restored after Israel confrontation
- 2014/03/13: EUO: Two people die in Turkey protests
- 2014/03/13: CCurrents: Al-Aqsa Mosque vs. Israel: The Lurking Danger Beneath
- 2014/03/13: al Jazeera: Israeli jets hit Gaza after heavy rocket fire
Bases of Hamas and armed wing of Islamic Jihad targeted following most intense barrage since 2012 conflict.
- 2014/03/13: al Jazeera: Gaza cross-border fighting enters third day
Palestinian fighters fire more rockets at Israeli cities in a third day of cross-border flare-up.
- 2014/03/13: al Jazeera: Gaza clashes as ceasefire claim crumbles
Rockets fired into Israel and Gaza targets hit by Israeli jets after Islamic Jihad claims deal agreed to end violence.
- 2014/03/13: al Jazeera: Gulen, Erdogan and democracy in Turkey
What will come out of the struggle between the Gulen movement and the AKP?
- 2014/03/13: al Jazeera: Turkey presses on with Gulen school closure
President Gul approves law to close Gulen-inspired schools, in a move seen as expressing solidarity with PM Erdogan.
- 2014/03/12: BBC: Israeli warplanes have attacked 29 Palestinian targets in the Gaza Strip in response to an Islamic Jihad rocket barrage into Israel earlier on Wednesday, the military has said
- 2014/03/12: BBC: UK police charge man with Syria-related terror offence
A 29-year-old man has been charged on suspicion of terror offences linked to Syria, Greater Manchester police has said.
Jamshed Javeed was arrested at a property in Cringle Road, Levenshulme, Manchester.
Greater Manchester Police said Mr Javeed had been charged with intending to assist in acts of terrorism abroad.
- 2014/03/12: Guardian(UK): Iraqi Kurdistan inundated as refugees flee fighting in Anbar province
Area has become refuge for hundreds of thousands of Syrian Kurds and Iraqis fleeing fighting in western region of country
- 2014/03/12: Guardian(UK): Controlled by Iran, the deadly militia recruiting Iraq's men to die in Syria
The Middle East's most potent new political force, Asa'ib Ahl al-Haq, is stepping up its support for the Bashar al-Assad regime
- 2014/03/12: Guardian(UK): Ban Ki-moon rebukes Iranian president [Rouhani] for human rights failings
UN secretary general condemns continuing abuse, highlighting 'executions, unfair trials and bias against minorities'
- 2014/03/12: Guardian(UK): Bashar al-Assad makes rare public appearance outside central Damascus
- 2014/03/12: Guardian(UK): Aid money follows the cameras, which is why Palestine is suffering so badly
- 2014/03/12: Guardian(UK): Turkish police fire teargas at crowds mourning boy injured in protests
- 2014/03/12: Asia Times: Israel stokes holy row over mosque
- 2014/03/12: EurActiv: Protestors clash in Turkey ahead of local election
Protesters clashed with police in cities across Turkey yesterday (11 March) after the death of a 15-year-old boy who was hit in the head by a tear-gas canister during anti-government demonstrations last summer. Turks will vote in local elections on 30 March.
- 2014/03/12: EUO: Boy's death spurs anti-Erdogan feeling in EU parliament
- 2014/03/11: FAIR: What if NYT Factchecked Netanyahu's Claims?
- 2014/03/12: BBC: Turkey tense ahead of teenage boy's funeral
The funeral is to take place in Istanbul of a teenaged boy who died nine months after being injured during Turkish anti-government protests.
- 2014/03/11: al Jazeera: Bomb explodes near Israeli embassy in Cairo
Nobody hurt in blast outside building in Egypt's capital, hours after police shot dead man suspected of January bombing.
- 2014/03/11: al Jazeera: Clashes in Turkey over death of boy in coma
Fifteen-year-old bystander slipped into a coma after being hit on head with tear gas canister during last year's unrest.
- 2014/03/12: al Jazeera: Turkey braces for protests over boy's death
More demonstrations expected ahead of funeral for 15-year-old boy who was killed in last year's protests in Istanbul.
- 2014/03/11: al Jazeera: Libyan assembly ousts PM over escaped tanker
Ali Zeidan loses confidence vote, called after oil tanker from rebel-held port breaks through naval blockade.
- 2014/03/11: al Jazeera: New Israeli law kills minority representation
Legislation makes it hard for small parties to enter the Knesset, including groups representing minority Arabs.
- 2014/03/11: Guardian(UK): Libyan prime minister ousted by parliament
Ali Zeidan removed by vote of no confidence after militia seized port of al-Sidra and tried to sell oil to North Korean tanker
- 2014/03/11: Guardian(UK): Rebel group manoeuvres over Libya's oil could lead to renewed civil conflict
- 2014/03/12: Guardian(UK): David Cameron to tell Israel: peace deal would be 'great prize'
- 2014/03/11: Guardian(UK): British PM Cameron 'coming as a friend' on first official visit to Israel
- 2014/03/11: Guardian(UK): Judge shot dead at border after trying to strangle soldier, Israeli army says
- 2014/03/11: Guardian(UK): Inside a refugee camp in Jordan three years after the Syrian uprising began
- 2014/03/11: Guardian(UK): Syria's unknown victims: the thousands missing or dead in regime custody
- 2014/03/11: Guardian(UK): Syria: fears of a lost generation as UN and World Vision highlight cost of war
- 2014/03/11: Guardian(UK): Four arrested in Manchester and Oxford for Syria-related offences
- 2014/03/11: AntiWar: What’s Going On in the Gulf? Unsurprisingly, It’s Probably About Iran
- 2014/03/10: AntiWar: Pentagon Pledges $429 Million More for Israel’s ‘Iron Dome’ System -- Israel Touts Missiles as 'Game-Changer' But Doubts Remain on Effectiveness
- 2014/03/11: BBC: Syria fighting: Police make four terror arrests
Three men and a woman have been arrested [in the UK] on suspicion of travelling to or supporting fighting in Syria.
- 2014/03/11: al Jazeera: Israeli airstrike kills fighters in Gaza
Three Palestinians dead in air strike after two Palestinians killed in separate incidents in West Bank.
- 2014/03/11: al Jazeera: Turkish teen injured in protest dies
15-year-old bystander slipped into a coma after being hit in the head last year with a tear gas canister.
- 2014/03/10: al Jazeera: Debunking some myths about Israel's water politics
Ending the occupation is a crucial first step if Israel wants real peace with its neighbours.
- 2014/03/10: al Jazeera: Is Iran really changing under Rouhani?
The outcome of the struggle between the country's moderates and conservatives will shape its policy choices.
- 2014/03/10: Guardian(UK): Israeli troops shoot dead a Palestinian-Jordanian judge at border crossing
Palestinian Authority and Amman demand investigation over incident at crossing between West Bank and Jordan
- 2014/03/10: Guardian(UK): Greek Orthodox nuns arrive in Syrian capital after release by rebel captors
- 2014/03/10: Guardian(UK): Kidnapped nuns thank negotiators after being freed in Syria
- 2014/03/10: Guardian(UK): UN report calls for independent investigations of drone attacks
- 2014/03/10: Guardian(UK): EU's Catherine Ashton criticised for meeting Iranian women activists
Catherine Ashton has infuriated hardliners in Tehran by meeting a group of leading women's rights activists during her first visit to Iran as EU foreign policy chief.
- 2014/03/10: Guardian(UK): The Prisoner X case highlights why Australians deserve more transparency
Australia has many secrets which are kept hidden for good reasons. But our security and military agencies would be strengthened – not weakened – if we knew more
- 2014/03/10: MoA: Syrian Nuns Freed - Media Is Concealing the Villains
- 2014/03/10: Asia Times: The real enemies of Islam
- 2014/03/10: Asia Times: Turkey walking a tightrope over Crimea
- 2014/03/10: Asia Times: 'Yesterday Stalin, today Putin'
- 2014/03/10: BBC: Syria crisis: Kidnapped nuns released in prisoner deal
- 2014/03/10: BBC: Syria: Assad forces 'using starvation as weapon of war'
- 2014/03/09: Guardian(UK): Libyan government forces besiege North Korea-flagged tanker
- 2014/03/09: Guardian(UK): Libya threatens to bomb North Korean-flagged tanker if it takes oil from rebels
- 2014/03/09: Guardian(UK): Nuns held by Syrian rebels released after three months
- 2014/03/09: CCurrents: The Face Of Falsehood
There are those who stand in regal splendor in halls resplendent with brilliantly colored flags and emblems of rank testifying to their positions as leaders in the world, acknowledged with respectful applause, as the audience standing in adulation of that position, witness the entrance of the announced Lord of the realm as he ascends to the podium to declare his moral righteousness before the world spread out through the nations in the Temple of Television, and boldly, shamelessly lie before all humankind -- they are the face of falsehood.
- 2014/03/09: BBC: EU's foreign policy chief [Catherine Ashton] says there is no guarantee of final Iran nuclear deal - Iran's FM says it could be done in months
- 2014/03/09: al Jazeera: The Ukraine crisis: A Middle East perspective
Is there a link between Syria and Ukraine conflicts?
- 2014/03/08: CBC: Syrian troops take rebel-held town [Zara] near Lebanese border
- 2014/03/08: Guardian(UK): The Syrian refugee children of Zaatari camp -- in pictures
- 2014/03/07: AntiWar: Syrian Al-Qaeda Splinter Group Slams Nusra ‘Betrayal’ -- 23 Killed in Fighting Between Factions in Markada
- 2014/03/07: BBC: Saudi Arabia declares Muslim Brotherhood 'terrorist group'
- 2014/03/07: BBC: Turkish ex-military chief Ilker Basbug freed from jail
- 2014/03/08: BBC: Turkey PM Erdogan threatens to ban Facebook and YouTube
- 2014/03/06: MEM: Israel cuts off water supply to 45,000 Palestinians
- 2014/03/07: al Jazeera: Is Zionism compatible with democracy?
- 2014/03/08: al Jazeera: Turkish court orders release of ex-army chief
Ilker Basbug, serving a life sentence for an attempted coup, will be freed by court order citing violation of rights.
- 2014/03/07: Guardian(UK): Turkey may ban Facebook and YouTube if Erdogan wins elections
- 2014/03/07: Guardian(UK): Muslim Brotherhood is a terrorist group, says Saudi Arabia
Statement on Saudi TV also lists Nusra Front and the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isis) as terrorist organisations
- 2014/03/06: AntiWar: Battles Escalate, Spanning Borders at Syria-Lebanon Frontier -- Rebels, Hezbollah Fighters Pour Across Border for Yabroud Fight
- 2014/03/06: AntiWar: Syria to Miss Deadline on Destroying Chemical Weapons Sites -- Sites Dismantled Months Ago, But Buildings Remain
- 2014/03/07: al Jazeera: Egypt envoy 'will not return' to Qatar
Cairo welcomes decision by three Gulf states to withdraw ambassadors to Qatar and says no plans for its own to go back.
- 2014/03/07: al Jazeera: Erdogan sounds social media ban warning
Turkish PM says YouTube and Facebook among networks in crosshairs as online leaks fan flames of corruption scandal.
- 2014/03/07: Asia Times: Raid boosts 'trigger happy' Israel claims
In the West Bank town of Birzeit early on February 27, Israeli troops seemingly acted determinedly to vindicate an Amnesty International report released only hours before, entitled "Trigger-happy: Israel's use of excessive force in the West Bank".
- 2014/03/06: Guardian(UK): Muammar Gaddafi's son Saadi extradited to Libya to stand trial
- 2014/03/06: Guardian(UK): Saadi Gaddafi extradited to Libya - from Niger
- 2014/03/06: Guardian(UK): [Unnamed] Man arrested at Gatwick airport under suspicion of attending [Syrian] terrorist camp
- 2014/03/06: Guardian(UK): Sarin gas in attack on Syrian civilians probably government's, says UN
- 2014/03/06: Guardian(UK): Brutality, torture, rape: Egypt's crisis will continue until military rule is dismantled
- 2014/03/05: NBF: In a now ignored War, Assad appears to have won in Syria
- 2014/03/06: CCurrents: Tears Of Yarmouk: The Palestinian Lesson That Every Syrian Should Know
- 2014/03/05: CCurrents: At AIPAC, Netanyahu Launches "Desperate" Attack On BDS Movement
- 2014/03/05: CCurrents: In Birzeit, ‘Trigger Happy’ Israel Vindicates Amnesty’s Report
- 2014/03/05: AntiWar: Israel Seizes Arms-Laden Ship Near Sudan, Blames Iran -- Iran: Allegations False
- 2014/03/06: CBC: Saadi Gadhafi extradited to Libya, held in Tripoli prison
- 2014/03/06: MoA: Syria: Insurgents Attack Chemical Weapon Depot
- 2014/03/05: Consortium: Netanyahu Shape-Shifts Iran Reality
- 2014/03/06: NNW: Libya: Niger extradites Gadhafi’s son al-Saadi
- 2014/03/05: Asia Times: Baggage must be dropped for Iran deal
- 2014/03/04: Asia Times: Syria's liberators face Palestine legacy
- 2014/03/05: Guardian(UK): Arab states withdraw ambassadors from Qatar in protest at 'interference'
- 2014/03/05: Guardian(UK): Peter Greste and other al-Jazeera journalists return to court in Egypt
- 2014/03/05: Guardian(UK): Al-Jazeera trial: prosecution presents contents of journalists' hotel rooms
- 2014/03/05: Guardian(UK): Israeli forces seize rockets 'destined for Gaza' in raid on Iranian ship in Red Sea
- 2014/03/04: DemNow: "Help. They Broke My Arm. Egypt Police": Peace Activist Medea Benjamin Detained en Route to Gaza
- 2014/03/04: DCMG: No Explanation for Abuse and Deportation from Egypt, U.S. Activist Medea Benjamin Says
- 2014/03/04: UNZ: Designed to Fail -- Negotiations with Iran Become More Difficult
- 2014/03/04: AntiWar: Palestinians See Netanyahu’s AIPAC Speech as End to Peace Talks -- Speech Barely Touched on Palestine, Rehashed Old Demands
- 2014/03/04: AntiWar: Al-Qaeda Joins Other Syrian Rebels Amid [Army] Offensive Near Lebanon Border -- Army Aims to Oust Rebels From Key Town of Yabroud
- 2014/03/05: BBC: Gulf ambassadors pulled from Qatar
Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and the UAE have withdrawn their ambassadors from Qatar amid accusations that it has meddled in internal affairs
- 2014/03/05: WSWS: Erdogan crisis destabilises Turkey
- 2014/03/05: al Jazeera: Israel PM demands recognition of Jewish state
Benjamin Netanyahu says Palestinian leaders must also "abandon the fantasy of flooding Israel with refugees".
- 2014/03/04: Guardian(UK): Algeria shaken by drop in gas output
- 2014/03/04: Guardian(UK): Netanyahu says he is prepared to make 'a historic peace' with Palestinians
- 2014/03/04: Guardian(UK): Renegade al-Qaida faction [ISIL] withdraws from Syrian border town of Azaz
- 2014/03/04: Guardian(UK): Egyptian court bans Hamas amid crackdown on Muslim Brotherhood
- 2014/03/04: Guardian(UK): Egypt army chief Abdel Fatah al-Sisi indicates he will run for presidency
- 2014/03/04: CCurrents: Israel’s Dirty Role In The Syrian Crisis
- 2014/03/03: Yahoo:AP: Saudi calls on all foreign fighters to leave Syria
- 2014/03/04: AntiWar: AIPAC and Friends Explain Themselves -- With a little help from the Gray Lady
- 2014/03/03: AntiWar: Israeli Settlement Construction Rose 123 Percent in 2013
- 2014/03/03: AntiWar: Syria Christians Enter Submission Pact With Al-Qaeda -- Thousands Commit to Jizya Payments
- 2014/03/03: AntiWar: Al-Qaeda Returns to Damascus Refugee Camp, Stalling Food Aid
- 2014/03/03: AntiWar: Three US Drone Strikes Kill Four ‘Suspects’ in Yemen -- Yemeni Officials Claim Major Strike in Abyan
- 2014/03/04: al Jazeera: Egypt court bans Palestinian Hamas group
Assets seized and offices ordered shut as court rules to ban all activities of group that runs neighbouring Gaza Strip.
- 2014/03/03: al Jazeera: AIPAC: American watchdog or Israel's attack-dog?
The Lobby still has the capacity to get its way with the Obama administration
- 2014/03/04: al Jazeera: Bomb at Bahrain protest kills three policemen
Opposition groups condemn attack involving remotely detonated bomb during protest in village west of the capital Manama.
- 2014/03/04: al Jazeera: Clashes in Syria's Yarmouk halt aid delivery
Thousands of people living in blockaded district in southern Damascus are cut off from aid as truce collapses.
- 2014/03/04: al Jazeera: Netanyahu pushes back against Obama diplomacy
Israeli PM tells US president "Israel has been doing its part and... the Palestinians haven't" during White House visit.
- 2014/03/03: Asia Times: Nuclear deal hits history hurdles
- 2014/03/03: Asia Times: US keeps Middle East enemies too close
- 2014/03/03: Guardian(UK): Israeli air strike in Gaza kills two
- 2014/03/03: Guardian(UK): Spanish journalist [Marc Marginedas] freed by [ISIL] Syrian captors after six months
- 2014/03/03: Guardian(UK): Netanyahu and Obama clash on prospects for peace with Palestinians
- 2014/03/03: Guardian(UK): Iran sentences student activist to seven years in prison for 'peaceful protest'
- 2014/03/03: Guardian(UK): Egyptian police officers jailed for blogger's death during Mubarak revolt
Two men jailed for 10 years for torture and manslaughter of Khaled Said, whose killing rallied protesters in 2010
- 2014/03/02: AntiWar: AIPAC Dictates Terms on Future Iran Deal -- Demands Iran Dismantle Civilian Program
- 2014/03/02: AntiWar: Report: Obama Will Ask Israel to Stop Assassinating Iranian Scientists
- 2014/03/02: AntiWar: Obama: US Won’t Defend Israel if Peace Talks Fail
[...] Netanyahu needed to come up with an "alternative approach" if he isn’t going to accept the US framework, adding that if the talks fail the US won’t be able to protect Israel from "international isolation and possible sanctions."
- 2014/03/02: SST: ISIS imposes Dhimmitude on Syrian Christians
- 2014/03/03: al Jazeera: Hizmet unmasks 'undemocratic' Erdogan
As a prominent preacher, Fethullah Gulen has to express his opinion on politics, argues the author.
- 2014/03/02: Guardian(UK): Binyamin Netanyahu visit will test strains in US-Israel relationship
- 2014/03/01: Guardian(UK): Rouhani says Iran will not acquire nuclear weapons 'on principle'
President says religion forbids pursuit of WMDs - Generals told to let diplomacy do its work
- 2014/03/01: Guardian(UK): Hala Shukrallah, First woman to head a political party in Egypt says it proves the revolution has changed attitudes
- 2014/03/01: BBC: Turkey to close down 'Gulen' preparatory schools
Turkey's parliament has passed a bill to shut down private preparatory schools, many of which are run by influential preacher Fethullah Gulen.
- al Manar TV Lebanon
- 2014/03/01: AntiWar: Israel Lobby AIPAC Down, But Not Out - Yet
- 2014/03/01: BBC: Israelis shoot dead 'mentally ill' woman near Gaza barrier
- 2014/03/01: al Jazeera: Israel shoots dead woman near Gaza border
Fifty-year-old Palestinian woman killed by the Israeli military for walking too close to the border.
Israeli military shot dead a Palestinian woman in the Gaza Strip in an area near the border that Israel has declared a no-go zone for Palestinians, local hospital officials have said.
Gaza residents said it was not clear why 50-year-old Amna Qdaih, who they said suffered from a mental illness, was near the separation wall...
Last modified April 19, 2014