- --May 2014--
- 2014/05/29: ME Monitor: Up to 80,000 Palestinians in Jerusalem without running water for three months
- 2014/05/30: al Akhbar: A new Turkish aggression against Syria: Ankara suspends pumping Euphrates’ water
The Turkish government recently cut off the flow of the Euphrates River, threatening primarily Syria but also Iraq with a major water crisis. Al-Akhbar found out that the water level in Lake Assad has dropped by about six meters, leaving millions of Syrians without drinking water.
Two weeks ago, the Turkish government once again intervened in the Syrian crisis. This time was different from anything it had attempted before and the repercussions of which may bring unprecedented catastrophes onto both Iraq and Syria.
- 2014/05/29: SST: Harper: Obama's Syria obsession boosts al Qaeda
- 2014/05/28: SST: "Reading a painful guide to Iraqi decay" Rami Khouri
- 2014/05/31: Consortium: Obama’s Collapsing Syria Policy
Syria has long been on the neocons’ "regime change" list, so they eagerly supported a violent insurgency to topple the Assad regime even as it veered into extremism. Now, that policy is collapsing but President Obama won’t admit the failure, write Flynt and Hillary Mann Leverett.
- 2014/05/31: BBC: Turkish police have used tear gas to disperse demonstrators in Istanbul and Ankara on the first anniversary of deadly anti-government protests
- 2014/05/31: Xinhuanet: Iran, powers to hold expert-level nuclear talks in Vienna
Iran and six world powers will hold an expert-level meeting on the nuclear issue in the Austrian capital of Vienna next week, Iranian nuclear negotiator Hamid Baeidinejad told semi-official ISNA news agency on Saturday.
- 2014/05/28: DemNow: Egyptian Regime Scrambles to Boost Low Turnout in Election Sealing General Sisi’s Grip on Power
- 2014/05/30: AntiWar: Al-Qaeda Kidnaps Nearly 200 Kurds from North Syria -- 193 Kurds Taken in Latest Raid on Kurdish Village
Al-Qaeda in Iraq (AQI) has raided the Kurdish village of Qabasin in Aleppo Province, kidnapping at least 193 civilians and marching them off to AQI-held territory.
- 2014/05/30: AntiWar: Kerry: Israeli Hostility to Palestinian Unity ‘Appropriate’ -- Israel Vows to Blame Abbas for Everything Hamas Does Now
- 2014/05/31: BBC: Turkey PM Erdogan warns youth to ignore Taksim anniversary
- 2014/05/31: WSWS: US sends assault ship with 1,000 Marines to Libyan coast
- 2014/05/30: AANS: It is not news even when Israel demolishes a whole village
- 2014/05/30: BBC: Syria conflict: US citizen carried out suicide attack
- 2014/05/30: uComics: (cartoon - Toles) The Tomb of the Unknown Democracy
- 2014/05/29: Grist: Syria’s climate-fueled conflict, in one stunning comic strip
- 2014/05/30: CCurrents: Historic Syrian Election Brings Multitudes of Voters
- 2014/05/29: CCurrents: The Status Of Jerusalem by Prof Francis Boyle
- 2014/05/29: CSM: Baghdad’s hold on Kurdistan slips further as oil exports begin
- 2014/05/30: IndiaTimes: Al-Qaida renegade group [ISIL] kills 15 Kurds in northern Syria
- 2014/05/30: IRMEP: The Jewish Agency's U.S. Arms Smuggling Network
- 2014/05/28: al Akhbar: Glenn Greenwald: NSA documents on Middle East to be disclosed
Numerous documents focusing on partnerships and surveillance tactics between America’s National Security Agency and regional security apparatus’ in the Middle East, especially the Gulf region, will be released soon, according to the journalist leading the reporting on the explosive NSA leaks.
- 2014/05/30: AntiWar: Is Obama Blundering Into a Syrian Quagmire? [Buchanan]
- 2014/05/30: AntiWar: Israel’s First US Espionage and Smuggling Network -- Newly declassified Navy intelligence reports foreshadowed future
- 2014/05/29: AntiWar: Libya’s Dueling PMs Add to Uncertainty Over Parliament’s Future -- Already Facing Coup, Parliament's Internal Split Grows
- 2014/05/29: AntiWar: US Moves 1,000 Marines to Libyan Coast Amid Increased Fighting -- State Dept Urges All US Citizens to Leave Immediately
- 2014/05/29: AntiWar: Iran Set to Start Converting Low-Enriched Uranium to Fuel -- Plant Will Process What Remains of Iran's Stockpile
- 2014/05/30: CPunch: The Scaremongering of John Kerry -- Why are They Afraid of the Syrian Elections?
- 2014/05/30: CPunch: What’s Mine is Mine; What’s Yours is Negotiable -- The Israeli-Palestinian Talks Were Set Up to Fail
- 2014/05/30: Asia Times: Low turnout blots Sisi's victory in Egypt
- 2014/05/29: MoA: Syria: Obama To Work With Assad?
- 2014/05/29: CPunch: Haftar Leads A Coup -- A General’s Odd War on the Muslim Brotherhood
- 2014/05/27: GoingToTehran: How America’s Backfiring "Pivot to Asia" Exposes Washington’s Already Self-Defeating Formula for an Iran Deal
- 2014/05/28: BBC: Libyan forces loyal to a renegade general have bombed government-funded Islamist militia in the eastern city of Benghazi
- 2014/05/28: CBC: Egypt election: Abdel-Fatah el-Sissi wins vote marred by low voter turnout [between 38% and 44%]
- 2014/05/28: VineyardSaker: Speech of Hezbollah Secretary General Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah commemorating the Day of Resistance and Liberation held in the Southern village of Bint Jbeil on May 25th, 2014
- 2014/05/27: RT: US trains Syrian rebels in Qatar to ‘ambush' soldiers and 'finish off' the wounded - report
- 2014/05/28: AntiWar: Obama to Announce Direct Training of Syria Rebels -- Covert Training Programs Already Ongoing
- 2014/05/26: McClatchyDC: Syrian rebels describe U.S.-backed training in Qatar in new documentary
- 2014/05/28: BBC: US tells its citizens to leave Libya amid unrest
- 2014/05/28: WSWS: Egyptian junta extends presidential election due to massive abstention
- 2014/05/28: al Jazeera: US tells its nationals to leave Libya
State Department cites "security concerns" and says it will only provide "limited emergency services" for its citizens.
- 2014/05/28: al Jazeera: Egypt extends presidential poll by a day
Low voter turnout that threatened credibility of two-day presidential poll prompts extension.
- 2014/05/28: al Jazeera: Egypt elections extended amid weak turnout
Officials blame hot weather but analysts say boycott and apathy are responsible for low voter numbers.
- 2014/05/27: BBC: Egypt election extended by a day after low turnout
- 2014/05/27: CCurrents: U.S. Wars In The Middle East: A New Age Of Hydro-Imperialism
- 2014/05/27: IndiaTimes: Next Iran nuclear talks June 16-20 in Vienna: European Union
- 2014/05/27: RT: Syria chemical arms investigation team kidnapped, quickly released
- 2014/05/27: RT: Israel to ‘evict the dead’ in Bedouin village demolished over 60 times
- 2014/05/26: AntiWar: Israeli Police: Entire Settlement of Amona Built on Palestinian Land -- Settler Organization Forged Ownership Documents
- 2014/05/26: AntiWar: Turkey Court Seeks Interpol Arrest of Israeli Commanders for Flotilla Attack -- Israeli Military Commanders Tried in Absentia for Mavi Marmara
- 2014/05/26: CPunch: Melting Hopes -- Libya’s Slow Motion Coup
- 2014/05/27: BBC: Six members of a UN team investigating alleged chlorine gas attacks in Syria have been abducted along with their five local drivers, state media report
- 2014/05/27: WSWS: Libya plunging towards civil war
- 2014/05/27: al Jazeera: Turkey orders arrests over Gaza flotilla raid
Court asks Interpol to issue arrest warrants for Israeli military chiefs over deadly 2010 raid on Gaza-bound aid ship.
- 2014/05/26: al Jazeera: Jordan expels Syrian ambassador for 'insults'
Amman declares Bahjat Suleiman persona non-grata for "crossing the line" with media statements, and asks him to leave.
- 2014/05/27: Asia Times: Ankara may regret shipping Kurdish oil
- 2014/05/27: Asia Times: Egypt between the hammer and the anvil
- 2014/05/26: CDreams: Int'l Arrest Warrants Sought for Israeli Commandos Over Raid on Gaza Flotilla
Turkish court orders arrests for deadly 2010 attack on Mavi Marmara
- 2014/05/26: BBC: Jordan expels Syrian ambassador over 'repeated insults'
Jordan says it has expelled the Syrian ambassador over "repeated insults" against the kingdom.
The Jordanian foreign ministry said it considered Bahjat Suleiman a persona non grata and gave him 24 hours to leave the country.
It said he had made numerous false allegations, accusing Jordan of harbouring Syrian rebels.
- 2014/05/21: TruthOut: US Continues to Surreptitiously Supply Arms to Unelected Regime in Egypt
- 2014/05/26: AntiWar: Washington Post Seeks US-Patrolled ‘Safe Zone’ in Syria
- 2014/05/25: AntiWar: House Approves Another $600 Million in Israel Military Aid
- 2014/05/24: SST: Aleppo prison relieved by Syrian forces
- 2014/05/23: SST: IDF marksman caught on tape in teenagers deaths
- 2014/05/22: SST: Unhappy times for Mossad?
- 2014/05/22: SST: Fischer is an Israeli/US dual national
- 2014/05/26: BBC: Millions of voters are casting ballots across Egypt to choose a new president, for the second time in two years
- 2014/05/26: BBC: Syria crisis: Britons accused of brutal killings
Britons make up most of the foreign members in Syria's most violent terror group, a senior rebel leader says.
In a letter to The Times, Brig-Gen Abdulellah al-Basheer of the Free Syrian Army asks for help in curbing the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL).
He claims the ISIL attacks opposition forces, not the Assad regime
UK fighters are involved in activities including beheadings, crucifixions and ill-treatment of women, he adds.
- 2014/05/25: al Jazeera: Egypt's political theatre
Egypt's regime attempts to acquire legitimacy through elections.
- 2014/05/25: al Jazeera: The day the music died in the Arab world
From Morocco to Egypt, are Arab governments trying to settle scores with revolutionary artists?
- 2014/05/24: BBC: Prominent Bahraini human rights activist Nabeel Rajab has been freed after serving two years in prison for his involvement in illegal protests
- 2014/05/23: CCurrents: The ‘Revolutionary’ Face Of the Syrian conflict
- 2014/05/24: IndiaTimes: Thousands rally in support of rogue Libyan general
- 2014/05/24: IndiaTimes: Iran billionaire executed over $2.6 billion fraud: Report
- 2014/05/24: IndiaTimes: 15 dead in al-Qaida assault on Yemen city: Security
- 2014/05/23: DemNow: As Washington Focuses on Another Benghazi Probe, Could a Civil War Be Brewing in Libya?
- 2014/05/23: DemNow: Iona Craig: Dire Situation in Yemen as Backlash Grows from U.S.-Backed Offensive Against al-Qaeda
- 2014/05/23: CPunch: Americans Deserve to Know -- US Aids Syrian Rebels
- 2014/05/23: CPunch: Israel, the Palestinians and Obama -- In Their Own Juices
- 2014/05/24: WSWS: Tensions mount in Turkey after second death in protests
- 2014/05/23: al Jazeera: Clashes as thousands attend Istanbul funeral
Fresh violence erupts as thousands take to the streets of Istanbul to honour a man killed in anti-government clashes.
- 2014/05/23: flc: 'It will end the revolution in Syria'
- 2014/05/23: CBC: Assad campaign rally hit by Syrian rebel mortar, 39 killed
- 2014/05/22: CCurrents: 66 Year Nakba: I Saw Yafa, Land of Oranges
- 2014/05/22: TAC: Mossad Meets Resistance
Israeli espionage pushes the national security community to fight Israel's inclusion in the U.S.'s visa waiver program.
- 2014/05/22: AntiWar: IAEA Report to Again Confirm Iran Abiding by Nuclear Deal -- Will Also Detail Agreement on Investigation
- 2014/05/22: AntiWar: Russia, Iran Near Deal on Building Eight Nuclear Power Plants -- Iran Seeks More Power Plants to Free Up More Oil Exports
- 2014/05/22: AntiWar: Libya Coup General [Haftar]: World Must Back Our ‘War on Terror’ -- Urges Constitutional Council to Establish 'Crisis Govt'
- 2014/05/22: AntiWar: Watchdog: Last of Syria’s Chemicals ‘Packed and Ready’ -- Britain Complains...
- 2014/05/23: BBC: Syria crisis: Mortars 'kill 20' at pro-Assad rally in Deraa
- 2014/05/23: WSWS: Ten days since the Turkey mining massacre: Government and unions try to evade responsibility
- 2014/05/22: BBC: Sinai Islamist leader Shadi al-Menei dead
Shadi al-Menei, the head of Sinai Islamist militant group Ansar Beit al-Maqdis, has been killed, Egyptian security officials have said.
- 2014/05/21: CCurrents: US Is Complicit In Israel’s Videotaped Murder Of Palestinian Boys
- 2014/05/22: IndiaTimes: Iran nuclear deal 'very likely' by July deadline: Rouhani
- 2014/05/22: BBC: Aleppo prison siege 'broken by Syrian troops'
Government forces have broken a year-long rebel siege of a prison in Syria's northern city of Aleppo, reports say.
- 2014/05/22: WSWS: Former Israeli PM Olmert sentenced to jail
- 2014/05/22: al Jazeera: Mapping Libya's armed groups
As fighting escalates in Libya, Al Jazeera takes a closer look at the major armed groups.
- 2014/05/22: al Jazeera: Syrian troops break Aleppo prison siege
Government forces end months-long siege by rebels attempting to free about 4,000 inmates held inside sprawling jail.
- 2014/05/22: al Jazeera: Russia calls UN Syria vote 'publicity stunt'
Ambassador says his country will veto Security Council resolution to refer Syrian war to International Criminal Court.
- 2014/05/22: al Jazeera: Libya renegade chief seeks emergency cabinet
Khalifa Haftar calls for civilian presidential high council to form emergency cabinet and organise parliamentary polls.
- 2014/05/21: al Jazeera: In Palestine and Israel, there are no 'clashes'
A video shows two Palestinian boys were killed in calm circumstances, not in 'clashes'.
- 2014/05/21: BBC: Syria crisis: Red Cross delivers food aid to Aleppo
- 2014/05/21: UN: Iran, UN atomic watchdog agree on further steps to address nuclear concerns
- 2014/05/20: CCurrents: Video Shows Unprovoked, Cold-Blooded Killing Of Palestinian Boys By Israeli Forces
- 2014/05/21: RT: UN demands investigation into Israel’s fatal shooting of Palestinian teens
- 2014/05/21: AntiWar: The Libyan ‘Coincidence’ -- CIA-backed general launches Libyan coup
- 2014/05/20: AntiWar: Both Sides Mum After Latest Iran-IAEA Talks -- No New Statements on P5+1 Deal
- 2014/05/20: CPunch: A Nation Disintegrates -- Libya on the Brink of Civil War
- 2014/05/19: DerSpiegel: Soma Tragedy: Erdogan Faces Fall-Out From Mine Disaster
Across Turkey, the grief sparked by the recent mining disaster in Soma is spiralling into anti-government outrage. Prime Minister Erdogan could end up paying for his insensitive response to the tragedy if he decides to run for president in August.
- 2014/05/21: BBC: A court in Egypt has sentenced former President Hosni Mubarak to three years in prison after finding him guilty of embezzling public funds
- 2014/05/21: al Jazeera: Video shows fatal shooting of Palestinians
Rights group says footage shows Israeli security forces shooting dead two teenagers who posed no danger.
- 2014/05/21: al Jazeera: Mubarak sentenced to three years in jail
Former Egyptian president found guilty of stealing public funds by Cairo's Criminal Court, a ruling that can be appealed
- 2014/05/20: al Jazeera: Erdogan's next move and the future of the AKP
AKP will retain power in Turkey only if it consolidates its party institutions and expands its constituency.
- 2014/05/21: Asia Times: The Nakba and the land of oranges
- 2014/05/21: Asia Times: Conflict deepens Middle East water crisis
- 2014/05/20: BBC: Syria conflict: First Briton convicted of terrorist offences
A 31-year-old man from Portsmouth has become the first person in the UK to be convicted of terrorist offences in connection with the conflict in Syria.
Father-of-two Mashudur Choudhury was convicted of engaging in conduct in preparation of terrorist acts.
- 2014/05/20: MoA: Syira: As Obama Offers Them Weapons Islamists Change Stripes
- 2014/05/20: Xinhuanet: Ousted former Egyptian president [Morsi] stands trial in Cairo [pix]
- 2014/05/20: AntiWar: Russian Manipulation of Reactor Fuel Belies US Iran Argument
- 2014/05/20: BBC: Nearly 60 countries back move to bring Syria to the ICC
- 2014/05/20: CBC: Khalifa Hifter, rogue general, threatens new war in Libya -- Armed militias taking sides in renewed struggle for government control
- 2014/05/20: WSWS: International talks on Iran’s nuclear program stall
- 2014/05/20: WSWS: CIA-linked general launches Libya coup bid
- 2014/05/20: al Jazeera: Libya special forces to join renegade general
Head of elite army unit says his troops will join retired general Khalifa Haftar's operation against Benghazi militias.
- 2014/05/19: al Jazeera: Suspension of Libyan parliament sought
Government demands parliament be suspended until next polls, day after building was attacked by forces of ex-general.
- 2014/05/19: al Jazeera: Libya power struggle: brink of civil war?
Parliament seeks the help of militias after forces loyal to a former general storm government headquarters.
- 2014/05/19: al Jazeera: Policemen shot dead at Cairo's al-Azhar
Three police killed in Egyptian capital as students rally in favour of ousted President Morsi, Interior Ministry says.
- 2014/05/19: al Jazeera: Libyan armed groups fight over capital
Fighters from Zintan attack Tripoli, demanding the resignation of parliament and a handover of power.
- 2014/05/19: al Jazeera: Israel locking up more children in isolation
An increasing number of Palestinian children face solitary confinement during interrogation by Israeli authorities.
- 2014/05/19: al Jazeera: Syrians stuck at border: 'We have no future'
Thousands of Syrians have been lining up at the Iraqi crossing, hoping in vain to reach the other side of the Tigris.
While Iraqi authorities say the border is open, the country has been turning people away, saying the Syrian refugee camps are already full.
- 2014/05/19: BBerg: Libya’s Oil Rebels Side With General [Haftar] Attacking Islamists
- 2014/05/19: flc: UN Syria envoy: "If only people listened to the Russians ...."
- 2014/05/19: Asia Times: Tehran treads social liberties tightrope
- 2014/05/19: EUO: Palestine urges EU to blacklist Jewish 'terrorists'
- 2014/05/19: CCurrents: Israel's Water Genocide
- 2014/05/18: Xinhuanet: Egypt court convicts 163 MB supporters over violence
- 2014/05/19: IndiaTimes: Gunmen loyal to ex-general [Haftar] storm Libyan parliament, demand suspension
- 2014/05/19: RT: Libya’s ongoing violence is ‘NATO-exported democracy’
- 2014/05/16: RPI: Why Won't Kerry Leave Syria Alone?
- 2014/05/12: EI: Children describe torture in Israeli solitary confinement
- 2014/05/18: AntiWar: Is US Behind ‘Rogue’ General’s Libya Coup? Gen. Hifter Lived in Metro DC for Decades
- 2014/05/18: AntiWar: Libyan General Seizes Parliament, Much of Tripoli -- Seizes Power, But Insists Move 'Not a Coup'
- 2014/05/14: SST: "Many in Homs, Syria, feel as if the civil war has ended" LA Times
- 2014/05/12: SST: "Arab spring a plot to divide countries: Egypt's Grand Imam" Ahram on Line
- 2014/05/18: CBC: Egyptian court sentences 126 Muslim Brotherhood supporters
Group sentenced to 10 years for assaulting police, vandalism and inciting violence
- 2014/05/19: al Jazeera: Armed group attacks Libyan parliament
Attackers storm parliament, demanding suspension of congress and handover of power, as Benina airbase comes under fire.
- 2014/05/19: BBerg: Gunmen Storm Libya Parliament as Violence Grips Oil-Producer
- 2014/05/18: MoA: Libya: CIA's Haftar Giving It Another Try
- 2014/05/18: BBC: Syria war: Air defence chief Gen Hussein Ishaq killed
- 2014/05/18: BBC: Libyan parliament comes under gunfire in Tripoli
- 2014/05/18: CBC: Head of Syrian air defence [Lt. Gen. Hussein Ishaq] killed
- 2014/05/18: BBC: Iran nuclear talks: Deal still possible, says Tehran
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has insisted that reaching a final nuclear deal with world powers is still within reach.
- 2014/05/16: CCurrents: Thousands Bury Youths Slain By Israel On Nakba Day
- 2014/05/17: Xinhuanet: "No tangible progress" made in Iranian nuclear talks: Iranian deputy FM
- 2014/05/16: RT: 24 killed in Libya clashes, authorities close Benghazi airport
- 2014/05/16: PLNA: Turkish Police Clashes with Protesters Over Death of Miners
- 2014/05/15: FAIR: Disappearing Brass Knuckles: An NYT Correction
- 2014/05/15: UNZ: Israel Is Serious About Spying -- But Not About Peace
- 2014/05/16: AntiWar: US Faults Iran, Warns Time Is Short After Latest Talks
- 2014/05/16: AntiWar: Kerry Announces Increased Weapons Shipments to Syria Rebels -- Won't Discuss 'Specific Weapons' But Vows Increased Effort
- 2014/05/16: DerSpiegel: Turkey Mine Disaster: Erdogan Loses His Grip
This week's mine explosion in Soma, Turkey has killed almost 300 people and galvanized the country. Now Erdogan's insensitive outbursts, and a video of him calling a man an "Israeli brute," are spurring widespread anger.
- 2014/05/17: al Jazeera: Turkish PM filmed threatening man with a slap
Video taken in Soma, where mining accident killed 298, shows Erdogan telling a man he will be slapped for booing him.
- 2014/05/16: al Jazeera: Fierce fighting rages in Libya's Benghazi
At least 18 die as forces believed to be loyal to army general at the centre of coup rumours clash with armed groups.
- 2014/05/16: al Jazeera: Homs is a victory for no one
Despite the anger, violence and divided loyalties, Syrians share a profound sense of personal and national loss.
- 2014/05/16: BBC: Libya clashes between rival militias in Benghazi
Fierce clashes in Libya killed 24 people on Friday after a paramilitary force led by a former general attacked Islamist militias in Benghazi.
- 2014/05/16: Xinhuanet: IAEA refuses to comment on whether Iran meets deadline
The spokesperson of IAEA told Xinhua on Thursday that the agency would provide its member states information of Iran's implementation of the seven steps in a confidential report next week.
- 2014/05/16: IndiaTimes: Nuclear discussions moving forward but ‘difficult’: Iran
- 2014/05/15: RT: ‘US against elections in Syria fearing Assad might win’
- 2014/05/15: PLNA: Israeli Army Takes West Bank Cities to Repress Protests
- 2014/05/15: PLNA: US Hints at New Pretext to Act Against Syria
- 2014/05/16: AntiWar: US ‘Political’ Breakout Demand Could Derail Iran Nuclear Talks
- 2014/05/16: CPunch: The Bloody War that Doesn’t Exist -- What the Media's Not Telling Us about Yemen
- 2014/05/16: WSWS: Mining disaster in Turkey: Anger with the government grows
- 2014/05/16: al Jazeera: Protesters clash with police in Turkey
Four biggest unions hold strike over explosion in coal mine that has left at least 283 people dead and scores trapped.
- 2014/05/16: al Jazeera: Palestinians mark 'Nakba' day amid violence
Israeli troops kill two Palestinians during a Nakba day demonstration near the West Bank city of Ramallah.
- 2014/05/16: Asia Times: A tale of many Yemens
- 2014/05/16: Asia Times: US demand may derail nuclear talks
As diplomats began drafting a comprehensive agreement on the Iranian nuclear program and Western sanctions in Vienna, US officials were poised to demand a drastic cut in Iran's enrichment capabilities that is widely expected to deadlock the negotiations.
Iran is almost certain to reject the basic concept that it should reduce the number of its centrifuges to a fraction of its present total, and the resulting collapse of the talks could lead to a much higher level of tensions between the United States and Iran.
- 2014/05/15: BBerg: Turkish Police Fight Protesters After Deadly Mine Accident
- 2014/05/15: MoA: Obama Administration Disagrees With Itself
- 2014/05/15: BBC: Syria conflict: Deadly blast near Turkey border crossing
At least 43 people have been killed in a car bombing near the border between Syria and Turkey, activists [SOHR] say.
- 2014/05/15: ABC(Au): Turkish protestors demand PM's resignation
- 2014/05/15: IndiaTimes: Air strikes kill over 40 in northern Syria: Monitoring group [SOHR]
- 2014/05/15: RT: Violent protest clashes in Turkey after mine blast kills over 280 (photos)
- 2014/05/15: BBC: Turkish mine disaster: Unions call protest strike
Trade unions in Turkey have announced a one-day strike in protest at the country's worst ever mine disaster, which has claimed at least 282 lives.
- 2014/05/15: BBC: 'Friends of Syria' group set for London talks
Foreign ministers from 11 Western and Arab nations are due to meet in London to discuss new ways of supporting the Syrian opposition.
- 2014/05/15: WSWS: Amid diplomatic offensive against Syria, France presses for war
- 2014/05/15: WSWS: Protests erupt across Turkey as death toll in Soma mine disaster tops 274
- 2014/05/15: WSWS: Corporate, government profiteering caused Soma mining catastrophe
- 2014/05/14: al Jazeera: Lebanon assassination probe targets reporters
Lebanon tribunal in The Hague has charged journalists for tampering with justice during probe into Rafik Hariri killing.
The Hague, Netherlands - A prominent Lebanese broadcast journalist has pleaded not guilty in a court case that has created a rift between Lebanon and the tribunal in The Hague investigating former prime minister Rafik Hariri's killing in 2005.
The Special Tribunal for Lebanon, based in The Hague, charged Karma al-Khayat and another high-profile journalist, Ibrahim al-Amin, with contempt and interfering with the administration of justice in January. The two reporters and their media organisations are accused of having published the names of people said to be witnesses.
- 2014/05/15: Asia Times: Dark outlook for post-sanctions Iran
- 2014/05/14: CDreams: Outrage in Turkey as Erdogan Called 'Murderer' and 'Thief' at Site of Mine Disaster
- 2014/05/13: UN: Syria: UN-Arab League envoy Brahimi resigns
- 2014/05/14: al Jazeera: Syria mediator Brahimi announces resignation
UN-Arab League envoy Lakhdar Brahimi to step down on May 31, largely out of frustration with Assad's plans to hold vote.
- 2014/05/14: BBC: Lakhdar Brahimi: UN Syria envoy stepping down
- 2014/05/14: Xinhuanet: News Analysis: Brahimi's resignation mirrors frustration over political end to Syria crisis
Observers believe that one of the main reasons behind Brahimi's resignation is the Syrian government's decision to hold the June 3 presidential elections, in which incumbent President Bashar al- Assad is highly expected to with a third seven-year term in office.
- 2014/05/14: Xinhuanet: Brahimi to step down as international envoy for Syria: UN chief
- 2014/05/14: BBC: US and Iranian officials have sounded a note of caution as the talks on Iran's nuclear programme resume in Vienna
- 2014/05/14: Xinhuanet: Obama meets Syrian opposition leader in show of support
- 2014/05/14: IndiaTimes: Obama renews commitments to Syrian opposition
- 2014/05/12: Ha'aretz: Why do Israeli soldiers bully Palestinians?
The violent behavior of the soldier videotaped aiming his rifle at a Palestinian teen, setting off a storm in the media, especially the social media — was not exceptional.
- 2014/05/13: AntiWar: State Dept ‘Won’t Deny’ Reports of Massive Israeli Spying
- 2014/05/14: WSWS: Iran slashes price subsidies, auctions off public assets to European capital
In close collaboration with the IMF, Iran’s government is eliminating price subsidies and accelerating the sell-off of public assets.
Iran’s government has imposed dramatic increases in fuel, electricity and water prices in recent weeks and announced the acceleration of its privatization program.
This pro-investor economic restructuring is being implemented in close consultation with the IMF and is part of Tehran’s efforts to woo European and ultimately US big business.
- 2014/05/14: WSWS: US-aligned Human Rights Watch indicts Syria for gas attack
- 2014/05/14: al Jazeera: Saudi Arabia reveals invitation to Iranian FM
Prince Saud al-Faisal says his Iranian counterpart has been invited to Riyadh but does not say when overture was made.
- 2014/05/13: al Jazeera: Kurdish voices grow stronger through film
Kurdish filmmakers are using cinema to broach sensitive topics in Turkey, but major challenges persist.
- 2014/05/14: al Jazeera: Turkey rules out compensation to Cyprus
Foreign minister says Ankara saw no obligation to pay $124m compensation ordered by European court over 1974 invasion.
- 2014/05/13: flc: "If Syria's presidential election were free & fair, Bashar Al Assad would still win"
- 2014/05/12: AntiWar: Vienna Talks With Iran Seek ‘Grand Compromise’ -- State Dept: Comfortable With Talks on Deal
- 2014/05/12: CPunch: Why a New President Will Not Stabilize Egypt
- 2014/05/13: CBC: Ehud Olmert, ex-Israeli PM, sentenced to 6-year jail term -- Ehud Olmert accepted bribes linked to a real-estate deal, court found
- 2014/05/13: al Jazeera: Israel accused of cracking down on Palestinian lawyers
Accusations of torture and mistreatment abound as several Palestinian lawyers are arrested by Israeli authorities.
- 2014/05/13: al Jazeera: Extraditing Gulen and other dark conspiracies
Turkish PM's intention to seek rival's extradition from the US reeks of Machiavellianism.
- 2014/05/13: al Jazeera: Fighter swapped for abducted envoy to Libya
Jordanian envoy taken in Tripoli by gunmen freed in exchange for man held over plot to bomb Amman airport.
- 2014/05/13: Asia Times: Iran nuclear deal hits hardest phase
- 2014/05/12: flc: "What option does Erdogan have other than changing tack , given that Assad remains unbeaten even if he is not victorious yet?"
- 2014/05/12: flc: Kerry wants war!
- 2014/05/12: BBC: At least six suspected al-Qaeda militants have been killed in a drone strike in eastern Yemen, reports say
- 2014/05/12: CBC: Turkey ordered to pay Cyprus $135M over 1974 invasion
Turkish foreign minister says human rights court ruling not binding
Europe's top human rights court in its largest ever judgment ordered Turkey on Monday to pay 90 million euros ($135 million Cdn) to Cyprus for its 1974 invasion and the island's subsequent division.
The decision from the European Court of Human Rights said the passage of time did not erase Turkey's responsibility in the case, ruling that Turkey must pay 30 million euros in damages to relatives of those missing in the operations and 60 million euros for "the enclaved Greek-Cypriot residents of the Karpas peninsula."
Hundreds of Greek Cypriots still live in the Karpas peninsula in the northernmost tip of the breakaway Turkish Cypriot part of the island.
- 2014/05/12: CBC: Iran nuclear talks: UN report shows deceptive procurement tactics
- 2014/05/12: CD: The Syrian refugee crisis: a first-hand account from the Turkish border
- 2014/05/12: EUO: Building Israel, one rock at a time
- 2014/05/12: CCurrents: After Syria Debacle, What Now?
- 2014/05/11: CCurrents: Zionism Beyond Control And Choices For The Palestinians
- 2014/05/12: Xinhuanet: Rouhani says Iran's nuclear program "transparent"
- 2014/05/12: RT: Israel declares part of occupied Golan Heights closed military zone
- 2014/05/11: RT: Iran replicates CIA’s RQ-170 Sentinel drone
- 2014/05/11: AntiWar: Al-Qaeda Seizes More Territory in Eastern Syria -- Getting the Better of Rivals in Rebel Infighting
- 2014/05/11: AntiWar: Rebels Warn: Al-Qaeda’s Nusra Front May Take Syria’s South -- Group Making Major Gains Around Jordan Border
- 2014/05/11: Ha'aretz: Newsweek reporter stands by Israeli spying allegation: Facts are facts -- Jeff Stein says he is not out to besmirch Israel
- 2014/05/11: DbP: Israeli ex-minister Ben-Eliezer calls violent settlers 'godless': writer Amos Oz warns of 'Hebrew neo-Nazis'
- 2014/05/09: SST: This and that in the ME
- 2014/05/08: SST: "Israeli President says Netanyahu nixed peace deal with Abbas" Globe and Mail
- 2014/05/08: SST: Israeli spying on U.S. at an ‘alarming and terrifying level’" AFP
- 2014/05/07: SST: "U.N. Probe Chief Doubtful on Syria Sarin Exposure Claims" Porter
- 2014/05/07: SST: ISIS is crucifying Christians who won't convert. Ibrahim
- 2014/05/07: SST: Truce in key Syrian city of Homs goes into effect
- 2014/05/12: Asia Times: Chronicle of death foretold for Palestine
- 2014/05/12: Asia Times: Israel acts to undermine Arabs in Asia
- 2014/05/03: IPSNews: The Two-State Option is Dead: Time for New Thinking
- 2014/05/10: al Jazeera: Egypt charges 200 people with terrorism
Ansar Beit al-Maqdis members face mass trial for deadly attacks, but only 102 are in custody as 98 are on the run.
- 2014/05/11: al Jazeera: Libya threatens EU over African immigrants
Interior minister says Tripoli will allow migrants to "flood" Europe if it does not help Libya combat illegal entries.
- 2014/05/10: CBC: Syria crisis: Thousands return to Homs after rebels depart
- 2014/05/09: DerSpiegel: On the Stump: Erdogan Lashes Out at Germany in Search of Votes
- 2014/05/10: al Jazeera: US embassy officers killed Yemeni civilians
New York Times reports that the two Americans involved in the shooting were a CIA officer and a lieutenant colonel.
US embassy officers shot and killed two armed Yemeni civilians who tried to kidnap them in the capital Sanaa, a State Department official has said.
- 2014/05/09: al Jazeera: Egypt: Hearts and minds betrayed
The resumption of US military aid to Egypt comes at a time when the country is moving away from the democracy path.
- 2014/05/09: Asia Times: Rouhani floats on shrinking political base
- 2014/05/08: MondoWeiss: Newsweek: Extensive Israeli spying in the US kept quiet due to pressure from the lobby
- 2014/05/08: CCurrents: Saudi Blogger Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison And 1000 Lashes For ‘Insulting Islam'
- 2014/05/05: BostonGlobe: Peace between unequal parties by Andrew J. Bacevich
- 2014/05/08: NatInt: Former Israeli Nuclear Head: No Iran Bomb for Ten Years -- If They Even Want It
- 2014/05/08: AntiWar: Last of Syria’s Chemicals ‘Inaccessible’ Because of Fighting -- 16 Shipping Containers Could Be Sent Out in a Week or Less
- 2014/05/08: AntiWar: Syrian Rebels Destroy Aleppo Hotel Full of Soldiers, Killing 50 -- Fighters Tunneled Under Hotel to Plant Explosives
- 2014/05/09: CPunch: Blame Without Evidence -- Bill Clinton and the Bogus Iran Threat
- 2014/05/09: CPunch: Life in Eastern Syria -- "Raqqa is Being Slaughtered Silently"
- 2014/05/08: CPunch: Exchanging Roles in a tumultuous Middle East -- Egypt, Turkey and Iran
- 2014/05/09: BBC: Syria conflict: Government troops move into Homs Old City
- 2014/05/09: WSWS: Obama in talks with "rebel" leader on escalating Syrian war
- 2014/05/08: flc: Fmr. French ambassador to Tehran: "The Iranians are set to resolve the conflict over their nuclear program as fast as possible, once and for all"
- 2014/05/08: CBC: Syria opposition gets aid, new sanctions for Assad backers from Washington
Russia’s Tempbank, believed to have sent cash to Syria, sanctioned by U.S.
- 2014/05/07: TAC: After Kerry’s Failure -- Why the Israeli-Palestinian peace process collapsed - and what comes next
- 2014/05/07: AntiWar: Israel’s New Demands on Iran Fueling a Dispute With US -- Rice Heads to Jerusalem to Hear More Condemnations of Talks
- 2014/05/08: BBC: Syria conflict: Rebels to complete Homs evacuation
- 2014/05/08: BBC: Syria conflict: Huge blast 'destroys Aleppo hotel'
- 2014/05/08: TruthDig: Is Fall of Homs a Turning Point in Regime’s Quest to Retake Syria?
- 2014/05/08: al Jazeera: Lebanon deports Palestinians back to Syria
In a change of policy, the Lebanese government orders the deportation of dozens of Palestinian refugees back to Syria.
- 2014/05/08: al Jazeera: Rebels bomb Syria army's hotel base in Aleppo
Activists and state television say Carlton hotel destroyed by mines placed in tunnels dug by rebel fighters.
- 2014/05/08: Rediff:B: Iran talks nearing bridge not too far by M K Bhadrakumar
- 2014/05/08: Asia Times: US flies false flag for Syrian rebels
- 2014/05/08: Asia Times: Syria polarizes a Middle East generation
- 2014/05/07: MoA: Syria: Insurgents Retreat From Homs But War Will Continue
- 2014/05/07: CCurrents: US-Saudi Aid And Advanced Weapons: A “Tale” of Syria Intervention
- 2014/05/06: Harpers: Manufactured Crisis: The Untold Story of the Iran Nuclear Scare -- Gareth Porter on the true history of Iran’s nuclear program
- 2014/05/07: CPunch: U.N. Probe Chief Doubtful on Syria Sarin Exposure Claims
- 2014/05/06: BBC: Lebanon 'expels' Palestinian refugees fleeing Syria
Lebanon has been forcibly returning dozens of Palestinian refugees fleeing the conflict in Syria, activists say.
- 2014/05/07: BBC: Syria conflict: Rebels evacuating Old City of Homs
- 2014/05/07: al Jazeera: Fighters begin withdrawal from Syria's Homs
Buses arrive for first of 1,000 fighters trapped in besieged Old City area as part of UN-supervised evacuation.
- 2014/05/07: Asia Times: UN probe chief doubts Syrian sarin claims
- 2014/05/06: flc: Israel will not stop spying on the US!
- 2014/05/06: CBC: IRFAN-Canada charitable status appeal put on hold [until the terrorist label was lifted]
- 2014/05/05: CPunch: Foreign Jihadis in Syria Pledge Their Own 9/11
- 2014/05/05: BBC: Syrian opposition will have foreign mission in US
The US has said it will allow Syria's main opposition alliance to open a diplomatic mission in the US capital of Washington DC.
It also announced an additional $27m (£16m) in non-lethal aid to rebel commanders.
- 2014/05/05: BBC: Libya's interim parliament has confirmed the appointment of Ahmed Maitig as the new prime minister
- 2014/05/05: CBC: Syria: Washington grants diplomatic-mission status to opposition offices
Move comes ahead of meetings this week between senior U.S. officials and Syrian opposition president
- 2014/05/03: al Jazeera:USA: Behind Kerry’s apartheid faux pas
- 2014/05/03: LobeLog: Bob Kagan Assails AIPAC, Israel on Egypt Policy
- 2014/05/04: Independent(UK): Foreign jihadis in Syria pledge their own 9/11
- 2014/05/04: AntiWar: Al-Qaeda Infighting in East Syria Kills 62 -- 60,000 Civilians Flee as 'War Within a War' Comes to Town
- 2014/05/02: SST: Crocker tells CFR that US policy in Syria is a mistake
- 2014/04/29: SST: The A Word...
- 2014/04/28: SST: Kerry said that Israel may become an apartheid state?
- 2014/05/04: BBC: Libya Congress rejects new PM Ahmed Maitig
Libya's Congress leader has rejected the appointment of a new interim prime minister hours after he was sworn in.
Ahmed Maitig thought he had secured the support of 121 deputies after several rounds of voting in Congress.
But the process was held in a chaotic session, and acting Congress chairman Ezzedine Al-Amawi later declared the vote illegal.
He asked Abdullah al-Thinni, who quit following a gun attack on his family, to continue as caretaker.
- 2014/05/02: Rabble: Gaza's Ark attacked, will rebuild and continue to challenge blockade
- 2014/05/04: al Jazeera: Netanyahu's 'destruction of Israel' mantra
It's time Western mainstream media ceases to recycle the Israeli PM's destructive propaganda.
- 2014/05/03: MoA: Palestine: U.S. Negotiator Asks For Third Intifada
- 2014/05/02: AntiWar: Palestinians Officially Join Five UN Treaties -- Accession to Human Rights Treaties Aimed to Increase Recognition
- 2014/05/02: CPunch: The Politics of Palestinian Reconciliation -- A Shameful Chapter
- 2014/05/03: al Jazeera: Turkey, Pinar Selek and the hypothetical crime
Is it right for a Turkish court to sentence a defendant before it is proven that a crime was actually committed?
- 2014/05/02: CBC: Egypt bomb attacks kill 5 ahead of presidential vote
- 2014/05/02: EUO: Turkey ranks lowest in Europe's press freedom index
- 2014/05/01: AntiWar: In Iraq and Syria, a resurgence of foreign suicide bombers
- 2014/05/02: CPunch: Manufactured Threats -- Why the US Blew a Chance to Reconcile with Iran
- 2014/05/01: CPunch: The Death of Justice in Egypt
An Eight-Minute Trial, with No Arguments for the Defense, and One Judge Sentences 683 People to Death
- 2014/05/01: CPunch: Hope and Gloom in the Beach Refugee Camp -- Palestinian Unity
- 2014/05/02: BBC: Syria truce 'to let rebels withdraw from besieged Homs'
Opposition fighters are to be allowed to withdraw from besieged parts of the Syrian city of Homs under a deal with the government, reports say.
Rebels will be allowed to pull back to opposition-held areas north of Homs, activists say. The Syrian government has not commented on the reports.
- 2014/05/02: CBC: Egypt bomb attack kills 1 policeman -- At least 1 other policeman injured in Cairo bomb attack
- 2014/05/02: WSWS: German President Gauck visits Turkey -- the arrogance of German imperialism
German President Joachim Gauck provoked a bitter public row during an official state visit to Turkey with sharp criticism of the government of Recip Tayyip Erdogan.
- 2014/05/02: al Jazeera: Anti-Palestinian arson attacks on the rise
'Price tag' arson attacks by Israeli settlers against mosques and churches on the rise amid government inaction.
- 2014/05/02: al Jazeera: Homs ceasefire struck to allow rebel pullout
Governor confirms regime and opposition have struck deal to allow rebel fighters in the town to leave without fear.
- 2014/05/02: al Jazeera: Palestine can be won in a street fight
The global street is where a defenceless oppressed indigenous people have a chance at justice.
- 2014/05/01: al Jazeera: Egypt's eliminationism policy redux
Mass death sentences represent a continuation of Egypt's eliminationist policy.
- 2014/05/02: Asia Times: Shaking the pillars of Israel's history
[Book Review] _The Idea of Israel - A History of Power and Knowledge_ by Ilan Pappe
- 2014/05/01: CCurrents: Palestinian Unity: Hope And Gloom In The Beach Refugee Camp
- 2014/05/01: WSWS: Egypt’s mass death sentences: A crime made in the USA
- 2014/05/01: WSWS: Libya: Ex-US base now headquarters of Al Qaeda-linked forces
- 2014/05/01: al Jazeera: Palestinian unity: The bottom line
Palestinian unity was, is and always will be a necessary condition for resolving the conflict.
Last modified June 28, 2014