- --November 2013--
- 2013/11/28: McClatchyDC: Rise of ‘Saudi America’ will alter globe, prolong U.S. superpower role
- 2013/11/29: FP: Fear and Loathing in the Kingdom
How Washington stabbed the Saudis in the back, and why the Iran deal will start a nuclear arms race in the Persian Gulf.
- 2013/11/29: Going2Tehran: Foreign Minister Zarif on Iran and Its Persian Gulf Neighbors
- 2013/11/27: BizInsider: Hollywood Producer/Spy Arnon Milchan Played A Key Role In Israel's Nuke Program
- 2013/11/27: SST: "Hollywood Producer/Spy Arnon Milchan Played A Key Role In Israel's Nuke Program" Business Insider
- 2013/11/27: SST: Arnon Milchan was an Israeli spy in the US
- 2013/11/30: CDreams: Iran Gets Short End of the Geneva Deal
- 2013/11/30: BBC: Israel: Negev Bedouins' 'day of rage' over resettlement plan
- 2013/11/30: Guardian(UK): Barack Obama's on a diplomatic roll that shouldn't end with Iran
After the Geneva nuclear deal there is a path to peace in Jerusalem. But it will mean confronting Binyamin Netanyahu
- 2013/11/30: Guardian(UK): Iran deal could shake up Middle East after generations of conflict
- 2013/11/30: Guardian(UK): US offers to assist destruction of Syria's chemical weapon stocks
- 2013/11/30: Guardian(UK): Eyewitness: Cairo, Egypt - clashes between Muslim Brotherhood supporters and the Egyptian security forces
- 2013/11/29: CCurrents: Salafist Crimes Against Islam In Syria
- 2013/11/29: CCurrents: Iran Yields To The West's Demand On Nuclear Issue
- 2013/11/29: CCurrents: Nuclear Deal Catastrophic For Iran
- 2013/11/30: RT: Syria’s most toxic substances to be destroyed on US ship - global watchdog [OPCW]
- 2013/11/30: PLNA: The Non-Aligned Movement [NAM] Welcomes IAEA-Iran Nuclear Deal
- 2013/11/25: FP: The Real Nuclear Option
Why Israel might nuke Iran to prevent Tehran from going nuclear. Seriously.
- 2013/11/29: AntiWar: Kerry: Tough Sanctions on Iran Remain Despite Deal -- Israeli Officials Insist Obama 'Destroyed' Sanctions
US and Israeli officials continue to have a very public battle over the deal between the P5+1 and Iran, as Israeli officials angrily condemn Obama, claiming he has "destroyed" the international sanctions against Iran and they will “collapse within months.”
Israeli officials were also complaining that international businessmen are "converging on Iran" to restore trade ties on a large scale and that it was Obama’s fault.
- 2013/11/29: AntiWar: State Dept Extends Iran Oil Waivers to China, India, and South Korea -- Countries Can Continue Oil Buys
- 2013/11/29: AntiWar: Tired of Endless Talks, Palestinians Want Push for Recognition -- As Talks Stall, Pressure to Try UN Again
- 2013/11/30: BBC: Syrian chemical arms 'to be destroyed on US Navy ship' [says OPCW]
- 2013/11/30: WSWS: Hollywood producer Arnon Milchan acknowledges longtime role as Israeli agent
- 2013/11/30: WSWS: US in secret talks with Hezbollah
Washington has reportedly begun secret talks with Hezbollah, the Lebanese Shia militia closely allied with Iran, and whose fighters have helped Syria’s government withstand a US- and Saudi-backed Sunni Islamist insurgency.
Britain is reportedly facilitating the negotiations. According to stories in the Kuwaiti press that were subsequently confirmed by the Jerusalem Post, British diplomats are meeting with Hezbollah representatives to apprise them of the Obama administration’s demands and deliver their responses to Washington.
This roundabout method has supposedly been adopted because the US officially designates both Hezbollah’s military and political wings as terrorist organizations, making it illegal for US officials to meet Hezbollah leaders.
- 2013/11/30: al Jazeera: Netanyahu: Crying wolf again
Furious with the P5+1 for signing a deal with Iran, Netanyahu once again threatens to take military action unilaterally.
- 2013/11/30: al Jazeera: Deadly gun battles erupt in Lebanon's Tripoli
Clashes between neighbourhoods backing rival sides in Syria's war leave four people dead and 30 injured, officials say.
- 2013/11/29: Guardian(UK): Britons protest over Israel plan to remove 70,000 Palestinian Bedouins
- 2013/11/29: Guardian(UK): [Letters] UK must protest at Bedouin expulsion
- 2013/11/29: Guardian(UK): Companies express interest in destroying Syria's chemical weapons
- 2013/11/29: Guardian(UK): Syrian refugee children face 'catastrophic' life in exile, UN says
- 2013/11/29: Guardian(UK): Egyptian activist arrested amid government crackdown on dissent
Detention of Alaa Abd El Fattah and wife follows new protest law, jailing of women and girls, and shooting of student
- 2013/11/29: Xinhuanet: U.N. Security Council condemns shelling of Russian Embassy in Damascus
- 2013/11/28: ICG: Tunisia’s Borders: Jihadism and Contraband
- 2013/11/28: AntiWar: Poll: Palestinians See Peace Talks as a ‘Mistake’ -- Two Thirds Believe Current Round Will Fail
- 2013/11/28: AntiWar: Iran Invites UN Inspectors to Arak Reactor -- Invitation Is Above And Beyond Terms of P5+1 Deal
- 2013/11/28: AntiWar: Syrian Rebels Claim They Killed 250 Hezbollah in Damascus -- Army Retakes Key Town North of Damascus
- 2013/11/28: AntiWar: Mortar Strike Hits Russia’s Embassy in Syria, Killing One
- 2013/11/29: al Jazeera: Deadly explosion at ammunition depot in Libya
More than 40 people killed in explosion at ammunition depot in southern Libya on Thursday, Reuters reported.
- 2013/11/29: al Jazeera: Turkey and Iraqi Kurds seal 'secret oil deal'
Agreement to allow pumping of oil and gas through Turkey to world markets likely to anger Baghdad, reports suggest.
- 2013/11/28: BBC: Egyptian blogger Alaa Abdul Fattah arrested over protest
- 2013/11/28: BBC: Syrian chemical weapons set to be destroyed at sea
- 2013/11/28: BBC: Libya: Blast at Brak al-Shati arms depot kills 30
- 2013/11/28: Guardian(UK): Saudi Arabia irritated by the changing US relationship with Iran
- 2013/11/28: Guardian(UK): Seven Israeli Arabs jailed for lynching IDF soldier who went on shooting spree
- 2013/11/29: Guardian(UK): Libya army depot blast kills dozens
- 2013/11/28: Guardian(UK): Where does the Iranian nuclear deal leave Binyamin Netanyahu?
- 2013/11/28: Guardian(UK): Egyptian student killed as security forces clash with protesters in Cairo
- 2013/11/28: Xinhuanet: Syrian army recaptures key town in northern Damascus, Dayr Atiah
- 2013/11/28: RT: US okays some work at Iran’s Arak nuclear site
- 2013/11/27: PLNA: A War in Syria against Reporting
- 2013/11/27: flc: Where is this story in US media?
- 2013/11/26: Yahoo:AP: Obama, Senate spar over new Iran sanctions threats
- 2013/11/28: AntiWar: Israel-Palestine: Enough Negotiations Already!
Palestinians should not lend their name to a charade of endless negotiations while historic Palestine disappears.
- 2013/11/27: AntiWar: US: Iran’s Arak Plant Construction Doesn’t Violate Deal -- Media Claims of 'Violation' Untrue, US Confirms
- 2013/11/28: BBC: A court in Egypt has sentenced 21 female supporters of ousted President Mohammed Morsi to 11 years in prison
- 2013/11/28: BBC: Iran has invited the UN atomic agency [IAEA] to visit its Arak heavy water plant, agency head Yukiya Amano says
- 2013/11/28: BBC: Syria conflict: Opposition [SNC] chief [Ahmad Jarba] to attend Geneva talks
- 2013/11/28: WSWS: Claiming nuclear deal "victory," Tehran signals readiness to ally with US
- 2013/11/28: al Jazeera: Gaza: Life and death under Israel's drones
Drones buzzing overhead are a source of daily trauma for Palestinians in the occupied Gaza Strip.
- 2013/11/28: al Jazeera: Egyptian women get jail terms over protests
Group of 21 women, including minors, face 11 years in jail for rally, as interim PM defends state response to protests.
- 2013/11/28: al Jazeera: Going to Tehran
New dynamics both in the Middle East and the US made the Iran nuclear accord possible.
- 2013/11/27: Guardian(UK): Iran nuclear deal will make the world a safer place by Hans Blix
- 2013/11/27: Guardian(UK): America isn't leaving the Middle East, unfortunately
- 2013/11/27: Guardian(UK): Egypt's highest-profile secular activists threatened with arrest
- 2013/11/27: ScienceInsider: European Union and Israel Reach Deal on Funding Program
- 2013/11/27: CCurrents: Iran's Interim Nuclear Agreement: Averting Another War
- 2013/11/27: CCurrents: Historic Nuclear Deal: The Art Of Delicate Iranian Diplomacy
- 2013/11/27: CCurrents: Obama’s ‘Big Prize’ To Earn Nobel Peace Prize
- 2013/11/27: CCurrents: The Plot Thickens: Gaza Is Flooded With Sewage And Conspiracies
- 2013/11/26: CCurrents: Iran-US Nuclear Deal: A Gorbachev Moment For Rouhani?
- 2013/11/27: Xinhuanet: Iran to continue low-grade uranium enrichment
- 2013/11/27: RT: Israel’s opposition to Iran deal shows ‘it’s not committed to peace’
- 2013/11/27: RT: Iran: White House gave false details of nuclear agreement
- 2013/11/25: RT: Back in business: What Iran deal means and who benefits from it
- 2013/11/23: WhiteHouse: Fact Sheet: First Step Understandings Regarding the Islamic Republic of Iran’s Nuclear Program
- 2013/11/26: FarsNews: Iran Strongly Rejects Text of Geneva Agreement Released by White House
- 2013/11/25: DemNow: Historic Deal Curbs Iran’s Nuclear Program While Easing U.S.-Led Devastating Economic Sanctions
- 2013/11/26: FAIR: CNN's Parade of Iran Hawks
- 2013/11/26: FAIR: Maybe Don't Take Travel Tips From the New York Times
- 2013/11/25: FP:SMWalt: What's Really at Stake in the Iranian Nuclear Deal
- 2013/11/25: Reuters:TGD: Iran’s future is now
The crowd cheered as Zarif arrived at the Tehran airport after the negotiations in Geneva. The slogans they chanted revealed Iran’s new political winds.
They praised the leader of the Green Movement, Mir-Hossein Mousavi, as well as former moderate Presidents Mohammad Khatami and Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani. The crowd also called for the release of all political prisoners, placing opponents of diplomacy in the same camp, "Kayhan [Iran’s main conservative paper], Israel, we offer our condolences," they said.
The sense that Iran has won something without surrendering its rights and dignity was reflected as well. "Neither war, nor sanctions, nor insults, nor submission," the crowds chanted as Zarif’s motorcade left the airport.
- 2013/11/25: Guardian(UK): The last thing the world needs is Congress thwarting historic US-Iran nuclear deal
- 2013/11/27: DerSpiegel: German Press Reactions to Iranian Nuclear Deal -- Don't Lift Iran Sanctions 'Prematurely'
Although German commentators applaud Iran's interim deal with the West to halt its nuclear program as a significant step forward, they also argue Tehran must now prove itself. The bulk of the sanctions must remain in place until a full agreement is reached, they say.
- 2013/11/27: BBC: The Syrian government has confirmed it will attend peace talks planned for January, but says it is not going in order to negotiate a handover of power
- 2013/11/27: BBC: Egyptian prosecutors have ordered the arrest of two prominent activists for inciting a protest in Cairo on Tuesday
- 2013/11/27: CBC: Canada's wrong-headed position on Iran
Why won't John Baird do as Ronald Reagan did in the Cold War: Trust but verify?
- 2013/11/27: WSWS: Egyptian military junta issues anti-protest law
The military junta in Egypt is intensifying its efforts to suppress opposition to its dictatorial rule and reinstate the apparatus of terror that existed prior to the mass revolutionary uprising which toppled former dictator Hosni Mubarak.
- 2013/11/27: al Jazeera: Save the children from Israel's deadly drones
One year on, despite evidence of war crimes, justice has not been served for victims of Operation Pillar of Defence.
- 2013/11/27: al Jazeera: Egypt issues arrest order for two activists
Alaa Abdel Fattah and Ahmed Maher, who challenge the new law that restricts protests, are accused of inciting protests.
- 2013/11/27: Asia Times: Gaza flooded with sewage and conspiracy
- 2013/11/27: BBerg: Iran Deal Ripples Felt From Syria War Zones to Saudi Palaces
- 2013/11/26: Guardian(UK): [Letters] Iran nuclear deal is a defeat for the hawks and good for humans
- 2013/11/26: Guardian(UK): After Iran deal, the next step is to end the Middle East proxy war in Syria
- 2013/11/26: Guardian(UK): Iran and Hezbollah refuse to retaliate after deadly suicide attacks in Beirut
- 2013/11/26: Guardian(UK): Israel kicks its most important ally in the shins over Iran nuclear deal
- 2013/11/26: Guardian(UK): Saudi hostility to the Iran nuclear deal should alarm us more than Israel's
- 2013/11/26: Guardian(UK): In Iran, big symbolic payoff in sanctions relief
- 2013/11/26: Guardian(UK): Across political spectrum, Iran media largely supports nuclear deal
- 2013/11/26: Guardian(UK): Iran nuclear agreement will mean expanded role for IAEA
- 2013/11/26: ABC(Au): Explained: What the Iran nuclear program deal means for the country and the rest of the world
- 2013/11/26: UCSUSA:B: The Iran Nuclear Deal: A Positive First Step
- 2013/11/25: CSM: Why Netanyahu is wrong about Iran nuclear deal
- 2013/11/26: Xinhuanet: Rebels kill 10 medical staffers in Damascus' suburb
- 2013/11/26: RT: Iran & P5+1: Will hardline spin doctors look to derail deal?
- 2013/11/25: ICG: The Iran Nuclear Accord: First Step in a Long Journey
- 2013/11/25: flc: Telling it like it is!
- 2013/11/24: flc: 'Appeasement' for the uninitiated!
- 2013/11/24: flc: "Disappointment for Israel"
- 2013/11/26: AntiWar: Is the Superpower Afraid of Iran? [Buchanan]
- 2013/11/26: AntiWar: Overplaying Its Hand, Israel Still Holds Plenty of US Cards
- 2013/11/26: AntiWar: US Officials Hint at Reservations on Final Nuclear Deal
- 2013/11/25: AntiWar: Israel approves 829 More Settlement Homes in West Bank -- Move Seen as 'Retaliation' for Iran Deal
- 2013/11/25: AntiWar: Four Emerging Myths About the Iran, P5+1 Deal
- 2013/11/26: BBC: 'Belarusian' military adviser [private contractor] killed in Yemeni capital
- 2013/11/26: WSWS: Momentum builds around US nuclear deal with Iran
- 2013/11/26: CBC: How the Iran nuclear deal changes the Mideast power dynamic
By opening the door to Shia Iran, the U.S. is annoying some of its traditional allies in the region
- 2013/11/26: Asia Times: Iran deal gains traction
- 2013/11/26: Asia Times: Tehran accord designed to fail?
- 2013/11/26: Asia Times: Challenges ahead for a final nuclear deal
- 2013/11/25: BBC: Syria conflict: Geneva peace talks 'best chance' - US
- 2013/11/25: Guardian(UK): Battle looms over Iran nuclear deal as Congress pushes back against Obama
- 2013/11/25: Guardian(UK): Syrian foes to attend Geneva peace talks in January
- 2013/11/25: Guardian(UK): Australia's U-turn on Israeli settlements in occupied territories is shameful
Just as Abbott excused human rights violations in Sri Lanka, so he does in Palestine. As such, Australia is complicit in breaches of international law which cause severe and ongoing suffering
- 2013/11/25: Guardian(UK): Iran sanctions to be eased as US and west work out full Geneva deal
- 2013/11/25: EurActiv: EU hails nuclear deal with Iran, credits Ashton
- 2013/11/25: CCurrents: The False Analogy Of Syria And Palestine
- 2013/11/25: CCurrents: Israeli Genocide Of Palestinian Olive Trees
- 2013/11/24: CCurrents: Palestinian Sisters As Keepers Of Their Brothers: Inside Emergency Damascene Shelters
- 2013/11/24: CCurrents: Israel’s Unwritten Veto Power: Immunity To International Law
- 2013/11/25: Xinhuanet: Egypt to start constitutional referendum in January
- 2013/11/25: Xinhuanet: Geneva conference on Syria to be held on January 22
- 2013/11/25: Xinhuanet: 9 killed, 51 wounded in Benghazi clashes
- 2013/11/25: Xinhuanet: Britain, U.S. say to continue support Libya
- 2013/11/25: RT: Landmark deal 'should dissipate Israel’s concerns of Iranian threat'
- 2013/11/25: RT: 14 dead, 30 wounded as militia, govt forces clash in Libya’s Benghazi (photos)
- 2013/11/25: RT: France: EU likely to lift some Iran sanctions in December
- 2013/11/24: RT: Kerry assures Israel is ‘safer’ after Iran’s nuclear deal
- 2013/11/25: RT: Follow the money: How lobby interests are spinning Iran nuclear deal - Pepe Escobar interview
- 2013/11/25: AntiWar: A Moment of Great Danger ... and great promise
- 2013/11/24: AntiWar: Al-Qaeda Seizes US Aid Warehouse From Syrian Rebels -- US Aid Finally Reached Syria, Almost Immediately Was Seized
- 2013/11/24: SST: Enrichment, Centrifuges, and Proliferation - Oh My!
- 2013/11/24: SST: "A military strike"
- 2013/11/23: SST: P5+1 Breakthrough!
- 2013/11/23: SST: Turkey's Growing Isolation
- 2013/11/22: SST: Munich Appeasement and Iran By Richard Sale
- 2013/11/25: BBC: Syria conflict: Geneva peace talks set for January
- 2013/11/25: BBC: Nine people have been killed in clashes between the Libyan army and an Islamist militia in the restive city of Benghazi...
- 2013/11/25: CBC: Indonesia's Mount Sinabung volcano erupts 6 more times
6 new eruptions from Mount Sinabung sent lava, searing gas tumbling up to 1.5 kilometres away
- 2013/11/25: WSWS: Interim agreement reached on Iran’s nuclear programs
- 2013/11/25: al Jazeera: Iranian nuclear deal and US foreign policy schizophrenia
The deal with Iran marks the single most important US foreign policy success in decades.
- 2013/11/25: al Jazeera: The big deal about the Iran nuclear deal
A rundown of the winners and losers of the historic agreement between Iran and the US.
- 2013/11/25: al Jazeera: Israel approves new settlements in West Bank
Watchdog organisation warns plan could 'derail' Middle East peace process, as talks remain at an impasse.
- 2013/11/25: al Jazeera: UN brokers Syria peace talks for January
The UN announces rival sides will meet next year, but opposition insists on Assad's removal from power as precondition.
- 2013/11/25: Asia Times: The Roving Eye - US-Iran: The ever-spinning deal
- 2013/11/24: CBC: U.S. lawmakers plan backup nuclear sanctions against Iran
Tehran agrees to put nuclear activities on hold in exchange for sanctions relief
Lawmakers from both parties said Sunday they are skeptical that Iran will stick to a new nuclear deal and want Congress to prepare beefed up economic penalties to hit Tehran if the accord falls apart.
- 2013/11/24: Guardian(UK): Iran nuclear deal shows US is now prepared to act independently of allies
- 2013/11/24: Guardian(UK): Secret US-Iran talks paved way for nuclear deal
- 2013/11/24: Guardian(UK): Egypt's interim president Adly Mansour signs 'anti-protest law'
- 2013/11/24: CSM: The Iran nuclear deal's test of motives
- 2013/11/23: CSM: Iran nuclear deal: A temporary freeze and some sanctions eased
- 2013/11/24: Xinhuanet: New round of Iran nuclear talks conclude with an agreement
- 2013/11/24: Xinhuanet: Commentary: Sincerity, mutual respect result in Iran nuclear deal
- 2013/11/24: IndiaTimes: Fighting near Damascus kills 72 rebels, troops: NGO [SOHR]
- 2013/11/24: RT: P5+1 and Iran agree landmark nuclear deal at Geneva talks
- 2013/11/24: RT: ‘Historic mistake’: Netanyahu says world is 'more dangerous place' after Iran deal
- 2013/11/23: NYT: Accord Reached With Iran to Halt Nuclear Program
Geneva - The United States and five other world powers announced a landmark accord Sunday morning that would temporarily freeze Iran’s nuclear program and lay the foundation for a more sweeping agreement.
- 2013/11/24: BBC: Iran nuclear deal -- Key Points - Live Text
- 2013/11/24: al Jazeera: Diplomats strike deal in Iran talks
The interim agreement curbs Tehran's nuclear programme in exchange for limited sanctions relief.
- 2013/11/24: al Jazeera: US and Iran: Seven questions beyond the nuclear deal
What are the ramifications of Iran's deal with the West on Middle East politics?
- 2013/11/24: al Jazeera: Shifting focus: Impact of Iran nuclear deal
Agreement raises questions about future of Iranian relations with key world powers, and influence in the Middle East.
- 2013/11/23: BBC: Iran nuclear: Geneva talks 'reach deal' - No details have been released
- 2013/11/24: ABC(Au): Iran nuclear program deal reached with world powers during diplomatic talks in Geneva
- 2013/11/23: CBC: Iran nuclear deal doesn't include right to enrich uranium
Iran gets access to $4.2 billion in foreign exchange as part of deal, says Western diplomat
A senior Obama administration official says the nuclear deal with Iran does not include recognition of Iran's right to enrich uranium — a sticking point in the negotiations between Iran and six world powers, including the United States.
The official says the deal includes an agreement that Iran will halt progress on its nuclear program, including a plutonium reactor at the Arak facility. The deal also calls on Iran to neutralize its 20 percent enriched uranium stockpiles.
Tehran has also agreed to intrusive inspections under the terms of the deal.
- 2013/11/23: Guardian(UK): Syrian Islamist rebels claim capture of key [al-Omar] oilfield
- 2013/11/24: Guardian(UK): Iran nuclear deal complete after days of talks, ministers confirm
- 2013/11/23: Guardian(UK): Egypt asks Turkish ambassador to leave over support for Muslim Brotherhood
- 2013/11/21: FP:SMWalt: U.S. Middle East Strategy: Back to Balancing
- 2013/11/23: al Jazeera: Egypt expels Turkey's ambassador
Move marks new low in ties between Cairo and Ankara, viewed as close to toppled President Morsi's Muslim Brotherhood.
- 2013/11/23: BBC: Egypt has told the Turkish ambassador to leave the country and downgraded relations between the two countries
- 2013/11/23: BBerg: Iran Nuclear Talks Mired in Details of Enrichment, Arak
- 2013/11/23: CSM: What's behind Egypt vs. Turkey diplomatic feud?
- 2013/11/23: Xinhuanet: Relations between Turkey, Egypt to be restored soon: Gul
- 2013/11/23: Xinhuanet:Tripoli residents continue civil disobedience against militia presence
- 2013/11/23: Xinhuanet: Syrian minister survives assassination attempt
Damascus -- Syria's National Reconciliation Minister, Ali Haidar, has survived an assassination attempt in central Syria, the state-run TV reported Saturday.
Haidar's convoy was attacked on the Misyaf-Qadmous road in central Syria. The minister escaped unscathed while his driver died in the ambush.
- 2013/11/23: Xinhuanet: Turkey to act in line with principle of "reciprocity" against Egypt's move
- 2013/11/23: Xinhuanet: Turkey declares Egypt's ambassador "persona non grata"
- 2013/11/23: RT: Cairo expels Turkish ambassador, downgrades diplomatic relations
- 2013/11/23: RT: Thousands protest in Bahrain capital, demand 'torturers be brought to justice'
- 2013/11/23: RT: What Netanyahu wants is Iran's surrender, not negotiated nuclear deal
The deal that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu wants the international community to strike with Tehran is basically an Iranian surrender, not a proper agreement, John Limbert, former Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Iran, tells RT.
- 2013/11/22: FP:TC: Did This Low-Profile British Diplomat Just Save The Iran Talks?
- 2013/11/22: AntiWar: As Talks Progress, State Dept Dubs Iran ‘Terror’ Sponsor -- Congressional Hawks Use Statement to Push More Sanctions
- 2013/11/22: AntiWar: Israel’s Siege of Gaza Is Sadistic and Illegal, Yet US Support Continues
- 2013/11/23: CBC: Egypt expels Turkish ambassador -- Turkey accused of supporting groups that 'seek to create instability'
- 2013/11/22: BBC: Leading Syrian rebel groups form new Islamic Front
Seven leading Islamist rebel groups in Syria say they are joining forces.
A statement posted online said Ahrar al-Sham, Jaysh al-Islam, Suqour al-Sham, Liwa al-Tawhid, Liwa al-Haqq, Ansar al-Sham and the Kurdish Islamic Front had agreed to a "gradual merger".
- 2013/11/22: Guardian(UK): Gaza becoming uninhabitable as blockade tightens, says UN
- 2013/11/22: Guardian(UK): Kurds are now shaping the Middle East
- 2013/11/23: Guardian(UK): John Kerry and William Hague fly to Geneva to try to seal Iran nuclear deal
- 2013/11/22: Guardian(UK): UK ambassador urges US Congress not to impose new sanctions on Iran
- 2013/11/22: Guardian(UK): John Kerry flies to Geneva as Iran nuclear deal edges closer
- 2013/11/21: CCurrents: Geneva 3 Talks: Iran Nuclear Negotiations For Dummies
- 2013/11/22: Xinhuanet: News Analysis: Putin not to change Russian policy despite talks with Netanyahu
Jerusalem -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Wednesday traveled to Moscow to convince Russian President Vladimir Putin of the dangers of a nuclear armed Iran.
It was Netanyahu's second meeting this week with a leader from the P5+1 group, the five permanent members of the UN Security Council and Germany. He met with French President Francois Hollande on Monday and praised Hollande for his tough position on Iran. However, Netanyahu is hard-pressed to find the same understanding in Russia.
- 2013/11/22: Xinhuanet: Iran says any nuclear deal must include uranium enrichment right
- 2013/11/22: Xinhuanet: US senate threatens new Iran sanctions
- 2013/11/21: Xinhuanet: Backgrounder: Talks on Iranian nuclear issue
- 2013/11/22: IndiaTimes: Iran nuclear talks enter crucial third day
- 2013/11/22: IndiaTimes: Modest 'progress' in Iran nuclear talks
- 2013/11/22: IndiaTimes: Iran says 'no progress' in Day 2 of nuclear talks
- 2013/11/22: IndiaTimes: Saudi Arabia embassy urges citizens to quit Lebanon over 'danger'
Beirut: Saudi Arabia's embassy in Beirut has called on citizens to leave Lebanon because of the dangerous situation, its ambassador said, after some media linked the kingdom to deadly blasts.
- 2013/11/22: RT: US senators jeopardize dragging out Iran talks with threat of further sanctions
Just as another day of Geneva talks on Iran’s nuclear program brought no results, a bipartisan group of 14 US senators announced their plan to work hard and fast to introduce a new package of sanctions, adding more pressure on already tough negotiations.
- 2013/11/21: flc: McClatchy: 'Western Intel agency tipped off Iran & Hezbollah that Saudi al Qaeda organiser was coordinating Beirut attack'
- 2013/11/20: flc: "I heard that Kerry DARED to disagree with the Israeli prime minister, ...I hope he'll come out of this alright"
- 2013/11/20: flc: "I need Bashar to last for two more years,"
- 2013/11/20: flc: In Syria, 'moderates & Jihadis' are one and the same!
- 2013/11/21: AntiWar: White House: Israel’s Stance on Iran Would Lead to War -- Demands Would Alienate Other Nations
- 2013/11/21: AntiWar: P5+1 Leaders No-Show: Iran Talks Losing Momentum? No Plans for Foreign Ministers to Attend Talks
- 2013/11/21: AntiWar: Senate Leaders Promise New Iran Sanctions After Recess -- Deal Or No, Senate Set to Derail Iran Rapprochement
- 2013/11/21: AntiWar: The Lobby Is International -- Israel’s Fifth Column Never Sleeps
- 2013/11/22: WSWS: New York Times mourns death of Al Qaeda-linked Syrian opposition fighter, Abdulkader al-Saleh
- 2013/11/22: WSWS: In Israel, French President Hollande takes bellicose stance against Iran
- 2013/11/22: Asia Times: Reverse radicalization in Syria
- 2013/11/22: Asia Times: The Roving Eye - Turkey pushes crossroads politics
- 2013/11/04: CNN: The secret jihadi smuggling route through Turkey
Smugglers are helping would-be jihadis travel across border from southern Turkey to Syria - One tells CNN the rate of those making crossing has tripled since chemical attacks -
'Hamza' tells CNN he is happy to be going to Syria to become a martyr - Turkish officials say they are intensely involved in the fight against terrorism
- 2013/11/21: BBC: Iran and P5+1 struggle on nuclear deal in Geneva
- 2013/11/21: Guardian(UK): Across the Zagros: Iranian influence in Iraqi Kurdistan
- 2013/11/21: Guardian(UK): Iranian activist criticises French stance in nuclear talks
- 2013/11/21: Guardian(UK): Saudi's internal power struggle sends ripples across international borders
- 2013/11/21: Guardian(UK): John Kerry tries to mend rift with Egypt by criticising Muslim Brotherhood
- 2013/11/20: CSM: Make no mistake, America: Sanctions didn't force Iran into nuclear talks
- 2013/11/20: RT: Mother Agnes and the ‘liberal’ hawks out to silence her
- 2013/11/21: BBC: Turkey 'suspected bomber' seized outside PM office
- 2013/11/21: WSWS: Geneva talks on Iran resume while war threat remains
- 2013/11/21: al Jazeera: AIPAC no match for the 'sleeping giant'
In the court of public opinion, AIPAC and other pro-Israel lobbies are losing ground.
- 2013/11/21: al Jazeera: The myth of the 1,400 year Sunni-Shia war
The 'Sunni-Shia conflict' narrative is misguided at best and disingenuous at worst, suggests author, Murtaza Hussain
- 2013/11/20: BBC: Iran and P5+1 nuclear talks enter second day in Geneva
- 2013/11/20: Guardian(UK): Israel to stop issuing birth certificates to babies born to foreigners
- 2013/11/20: Guardian(UK): Briton killed fighting in Syria civil war
- 2013/11/21: Guardian(UK): Omens good for Iran nuclear deal at second bite
- 2013/11/20: Guardian(UK): Egyptian troops killed in car bomb attack on bus
- 2013/11/18: RawStory: U.N. Assembly cheers as Palestinians cast first vote
- 2013/11/19: al Jazeera: Palestine casts first vote at UN
Palestine's delegation to UN General Assembly casts first ballot in routine vote, saying now closer to full membership.
- 2013/11/20: CCurrents: Syria, Egypt Reveal Erdogan’s ‘Hidden Agenda’
- 2013/11/20: Xinhuanet: Israeli PM heads to Russia to advise against deal with Iran
- 2013/11/19: RT: Beirut bombings are ‘a clear message by Saudi Arabia’
- 2013/11/20: RT: Syrian chemical weapons likely to be destroyed at sea - report
- 2013/11/18: LA Times: Israel's policy of erasure
A path to peace between Israelis and Palestinians requires not simply dealing with settlements but with the whole complex of displacement, suffocation and erasure.
- 2013/11/19: AntiWar: Could Syria’s Chemical Weapons Be Heading to Sea? UN Demands Disarmament Take Place Abroad
- 2013/11/19: BBC: Syrian army captures key town of Qara from rebels
- 2013/11/20: BBC: Iran's Supreme Leader has warned his country will not step back "one iota" from its nuclear rights, as it resumes talks with world powers in Geneva
- 2013/11/20: BBC: Ten people have been killed and dozens more wounded in a car bomb attack on Egyptian soldiers near the North Sinai city of el-Arish
- 2013/11/20: WSWS: Terrorist attack at Iranian embassy in Lebanon kills 23, wounds 140
- 2013/11/20: al Jazeera: Egyptian soldiers killed in Sinai attack
At least 10 soldiers travelling on a bus killed in car-bomb assault in the north of volatile region bordering Israel.
- 2013/11/20: Asia Times: B-H Levy and the destruction of Libya
- 2013/11/20: Asia Times: Negativity can't derail Geneva 3
- 2013/11/20: Asia Times: The Roving Eye - The Wahhabi-Likudnik war of terror
- 2013/11/19: BBC: Bahrain opposition leadership 'systematically targeted'
- 2013/11/19: Guardian(UK): Lebanon: Iran's embassy in Beirut hit by two explosions
- 2013/11/19: Guardian(UK): UAE and Kuwait jail two Twitter users for dissent and blasphemy
- 2013/11/19: Guardian(UK): David Cameron speaks to Hassan Rouhani on phone
- 2013/11/19: Guardian(UK): Bombing Iran's embassy in Beirut only fuels Hezbollah's fire
- 2013/11/19: Guardian(UK): Iranian concession and Cameron phone call raise nuclear deal hopes
Signs of behind-the-scenes progress in dispute over nuclear programme as British PM calls Iranian president
- 2013/11/19: Guardian(UK): Beirut suicide blasts raise tensions in Lebanon as Sunni militants target Iran
- 2013/11/19: Xinhuanet: News Analysis: Hollande in Israel eyeing bigger roles
- 2013/11/19: Xinhuanet: Toll rises to 23 killed, 146 injured in Beirut blasts
- 2013/11/19: Xinhuanet: Syria army fully recapture strategic town [Qara] in northern Damascus
- 2013/11/19: RT: Beirut bombing: Twin attacks target Iranian embassy, 23 killed, 146 injured
- 2013/11/17: National(AE): Turkey finds a new solution to Kurdish independence
- 2013/11/18: flc: Israel to the World: "We don't need permission from anyone" to aggress other sovereign nations!
- 2013/11/17: LobeLog: Whose Foreign Policy?
- 2013/11/19: BBC: Lebanon blasts hit Iran's embassy in Beirut
- 2013/11/19: BBC: Lebanon blasts hit Iran's embassy in Beirut [Live blog]
- 2013/11/19: CBC: Beirut suicide explosions near Iranian embassy kill 23 -- 146 wounded in dual explosions
- 2013/11/19: WSWS: Egypt, Russia discuss closer military cooperation
- 2013/11/19: al Jazeera: Israel's 'exceptionalism' and the UN
Critics say ending UN rights council boycott will diminish scrutiny of Israel's occupation.
- 2013/11/19: al Jazeera: Devastating blasts hit Iran embassy in Beirut
At least 23 people killed in two explosions near Iran's embassy in the southern suburb of the Lebanese capital.
- 2013/11/19: al Jazeera: No generals in the dock: Impunity soldiering on in Egypt
Two years after a bloody crackdown on protesters, Egyptians wait in vain for security forces to be brought to justice.
- 2013/11/19: Asia Times: Scowcroft, Brzezinski urge Iran accord
- 2013/11/18: Guardian(UK): [Letters] Palestinian raids
- 2013/11/18: Guardian(UK): Palestinian held without trial takes case to Israel's supreme court
- 2013/11/18: Guardian(UK): Lebanese border town receives 12,000 refugees in days as key battle looms
UN expecting thousands more to flee clashes in Qalamoun as rebels prepare to fight Hezbollah for control of strategic area
- 2013/11/18: Guardian(UK): 'Syria is not a revolution any more - this is civil war'
- 2013/11/18: Guardian(UK): Jordan's Zaatari refugee camp mushrooms as Syrians set up shop
- 2013/11/18: Guardian(UK): The bloody disaster of Libya, Iraq and Afghanistan is laid bare
Bombs and militia violence make clear the folly of Britain's wars -- the removal of law and order from a nation is devastating
- 2013/11/18: Guardian(UK): Tahrir Square memorial is attempt to co-opt revolution, say Egypt activists
- 2013/11/17: CCurrents: Translating The Palestinian Declaration Of Independence by Professor Francis A. Boyle
- 2013/11/17: CCurrents: Why Ain al Hilweh?
- 2013/11/18: Xinhuanet: Syrian troops recapture key positions in northern Damascus' town [Qara]
- 2013/11/18: Xinhuanet: Syrian troops besiege strategic town amid fierce fights
The Syrian troops backed by a big firepower unleashed on Sunday a military operation to storm a key town in the northern outskirts of the capital Damascus after fully besieging it, as the rebels rained down Damascus with mortars as part of their reprisal.
The forces have fully besieged the town of Qara in the al- Qalamoun mountains north of Damascus and near the border with Lebanon, Syria's al-Watan newspaper said Sunday.
- 2013/11/18: Xinhuanet: Iran unveils homemade "strategic" drone [Fotros]: report
- 2013/11/18: Xinhuanet: Syrian rebel leader dies in Turkey
Prominent Syrian opposition leader, Abdelqader Saleh, head of the rebel's Islamist al-Tawhid Brigades, died on Monday in a Turkish hospital, local Today's Zaman reported.
- 2013/11/18: IndiaTimes: Key Syrian rebel leader [Abdul-Qadir Saleh, founder of the Tawhid Brigade] dies of shrapnel wounds
- 2013/11/18: IndiaTimes: Libya army deploys on Tripoli streets after clashes
- 2013/11/18: RT: France makes historical mistake blocking Iranian nuclear deal
- 2013/11/18: RT: 4 Syrian generals among 31 dead in rebel bomb attack (video)
- 2013/11/17: PLNA: French President Promises Israel to Keep Pressure on Iran
- 2013/11/18: TPR: Reflections On American Power And Foreign Policy
- 2013/11/16: TDB: Bandar bin Sultan, Saudi Arabia’s Gatsby, Master Spy
- 2013/11/17: flc: Bandar’s 'skewed' vision for Lebanon: "Promoting Samir Geagea, the commander of a savage Maronite Christian militia, to be the next president of the country"
- 2013/11/17: flc: SundayTimes: "Israeli Mossad is working with Saudi officials ' to scuttle a deal with Iran
- 2013/11/17: flc: WaPo: "all of the foreign fighters contributing to al-Qaeda’s strength in northern Syria traveled there via Turkey,"
- 2013/11/14: SCF: The Iran Question - What Next?
- 2013/11/18: NewYorker: Talking or Walking -- Negotiating with Iran for an Imperfect Peace
- 2013/11/17: AntiWar: Iran FM Sees Ways Around Sticking Points in Nuclear Talks -- Confident a Deal Can Be Reached
- 2013/11/17: AntiWar: Report: Iran Deal Will Limit Uranium Stockpile, Halt Arak Construction -- Proposal Also Includes Daily Inspections
- 2013/11/17: AntiWar: Report: Israel, Saudis Plotting Joint Attack Plan Against Iran -- Both Oppose Diplomacy, Plan War to 'Object' to Deal
- 2013/11/17: AntiWar: Hollande Assures Israel: France Will Oppose Iran Deal -- Issues 'Demands' for Iran
- 2013/11/17: AntiWar: Netanyahu: Deal Would Allow Iran to Get Nuke in Three Weeks -- Israeli PM Continues to Condemn Diplomacy
- 2013/11/18: SST: Harper: Russia's church-state diplomacy
- 2013/11/18: SST: "Syrian rebel 'beheaded in case of mistaken identity'" BBC
- 2013/11/14: SST: "Quitting Over Syria" Giraldi
- 2013/11/13: SST: Government troops take more towns in Syria
- 2013/11/11: SST: And Now a Word from the Israeli Security Professionals...
- 2013/11/11: SST: Are Israel and the US edging closer to a divorce?
- 2013/11/13: TAC: Quitting Over Syria
- 2013/11/18: BBC: Libya clashes: Misrata militia ordered out of Tripoli
Militia groups from the Libyan city of Misrata have been ordered to leave the capital, Tripoli, within three days following deadly clashes there.
- 2013/11/18: BBC: Top Syrian rebel commander Abdul Qadir al-Saleh [leader of Liwa al-Tawhid] dies
A top Syrian rebel commander has died of wounds he sustained in an air strike on a rebel-held air base in Aleppo province on Thursday, his group says.
- 2013/11/18: WSWS: Washington’s puppet regime in Libya teeters on the brink
- 2013/11/18: al Jazeera: France promises Israelis tough stance on Iran
Francois Hollande, speaking on visit to Israel, says Iran must fulfil four conditions for nuclear deal to take place.
French President Francois Hollande assured Israel on Sunday that his country would continue to oppose an easing of economic sanctions against Iran until it was convinced Tehran had ended a pursuit of nuclear weapons.
Speaking in Jerusalem on the first part of a three-day visit to Israel and West Bank, he laid out four demands which must be in place for an agreement with Iran to successfully rein in its nuclear programme.
"France is in favour of an interim agreement but on the basis of four points," Hollande said at a joint news conference with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
"The first demand: put all the Iranian nuclear installations under international supervision, right now. Second point: suspend enrichment to 20 percent. Thirdly: to reduce the existing stock.
"And finally, to halt construction of the Arak (heavy water) plant. These are the points which for us are essential to guarantee any agreement," he said.
His remarks were made on the eve of a new round of talks in Geneva between world powers and Iran seeking to reach an agreement to scale back Tehran's contested nuclear programme.
- 2013/11/17: BBC: Syria government site in Damascus hit by huge bomb
- 2013/11/17: Guardian(UK): Netanyahu steps up attack on prospect of Iran nuclear weapons deal
- 2013/11/15: RT: Iran to take much tougher position in nuclear talks after 'France's sabotage'
- 2013/11/17: RT: Israel working with Saudi Arabia on Iran’s nuclear contingency plan - report
Israel’s Mossad, along with Saudi officials, is working on contingency plans that could include an attack on Iran if its nuclear program is not curbed enough during the negotiations in Geneva this week, a new report has revealed.
Both powers have expressed concern that restrictions on Iran’s nuclear program will not be enough. According to The Sunday Times newspaper, Saudi Arabia already gave Israel the green light to use its airspace in the case of an attack on Iran.
- 2013/11/17: al Jazeera: State of emergency declared in Libyan capital
Libyan PM urges former rebels to leave Tripoli as fresh clashes leave one dead a day after more than 40 were killed.
- 2013/11/17: al Jazeera: Israel's other silent war
State-sponsored racism and discrimination against African migrants continue amid international media silence
- 2013/11/16: BBC: There has been renewed fighting between rival militias on the outskirts of the Libyan capital, Tripoli, a day after at least 43 people died in clashes
- 2013/11/16: Guardian(UK): Russia's foreign minister talks up Iran nuclear deal
- 2013/11/16: Guardian(UK): Militia attack on Tripoli protesters raises fear of fresh conflict in Libya
At least 37 people killed and hundreds hurt after Misrata unit opens fire on crowd of demonstrators
- 2013/11/16: Guardian(UK): US publicises $10m reward over Benghazi attack
- 2013/11/16: Guardian(UK): Al-Qaida-linked jihadists apologise after beheading ally in error
- 2013/11/16: Xinhuanet: U.S. offering 10 mln USD reward for information on Benghazi attack
- 2013/11/16: Xinhuanet: 31 killed in attack on anti-militia protesters in Libya capital
- 2013/11/16: Xinhuanet: Albania "impossible" to get involved in destruction of Syrian chemical weapons: PM [Edi Rama]
- 2013/11/15: Xinhuanet: News Analysis: Egypt-Russia ties thaw as Egypt-U.S. ties sour
- 2013/11/16: IndiaTimes: Dozens dead in clash with Libyan militiamen in Tripoli
Tripoli: At least 32 people were killed and almost 400 wounded in gun battles between Libyan militiamen and armed residents in Tripoli on Friday in some of the worst street fighting in the capital since the overthrow of Muammar Gaddafi.
Prime Minister Ali Zeidan is struggling to control rival militias, Islamist militants and other former fighters who refuse to surrender their arms two years after helping to oust Gaddafi in a NATO-backed revolt.
After Friday's violence, Zeidan demanded that all militias "without exception" leave Tripoli, but the clashes underscored how little his fledging military can do to curb ex-rebels, who have also shut down Libya's oil exports for months.
- 2013/11/16: IndiaTimes: Israeli troops cuff Palestinian children: Witnesses
Jerusalem: Israeli troops in the West Bank have detained four Palestinian children aged five to nine years for more than an hour with their hands cuffed, Palestinian witnesses said.
- 2013/11/15: RT: Clashes between residents and militia leave dozens dead, hundreds injured in Libyan capital (video)
- 2013/11/16: RT: No real dissent in nuclear talks between P5+1 and Iran - Lavrov
- 2013/11/14: FAIR: Iran's Suspicious Smile
- 2013/11/15: flc: 'Iran slows nuclear advances in goodwill gesture'
- 2013/11/15: flc: America's 'sin' according to Fabius: "It no longer to wish to become absorbed by crises that do not align with ITS national interest,"
- 2013/11/15: flc: "Qatar’s name is in the mud"
- 2013/11/14: FP: The Eye of the Storm -- As the Syrian civil war bleeds into northern Iraq, a once-quiet oasis [Kurdistan] is brewing with tensions
- 2013/11/15: FP:TC: Israel and White House Locked in an Info War Over Iran
- 2013/11/16: AntiWar: Lavrov Reveals Amended Draft Circulated at ‘Last Moment’
Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov revealed a crucial detail Thursday about last week’s nuclear talks with Iran in Geneva that explains much more clearly than previous reports why the meeting broke up without agreement.
Lavrov said the United States circulated a draft that had been amended in response to French demands to other members of the six-power P5+1 for approval "literally at the last moment, when we were about to leave Geneva."
Lavrov’s revelation, which has thus far been ignored by major news outlets, came in a news conference in Cairo Thursday that was largely devoted to Egypt and Syria. Lavrov provided the first real details about the circumstances under which Iran left Geneva without agreeing to the draft presented by the P5+1.
- 2013/11/15: AntiWar: US: Iran Deal ‘Quite Possible’ Next Week -- Questions Remain, But Growing Momentum Toward Pact
- 2013/11/15: AntiWar: Turkey Warns Against Syrian Kurdish Autonomy
Recent Victories Over al-Qaeda Not Sitting Well With Turkish Govt
- 2013/11/15: DerSpiegel: Turkish Discontent: Gezi Protests Spawn New Party
The protests that erupted in Turkey in May 2013 saw a local environmental protest bloom into a nationwide pro-democracy movement. A new political party has formed to channel this dissatisfaction into political power, but the hurdles to success are high.
- 2013/11/14: DerSpiegel: Iran Talks: Stiffer Sanctions Could Torpedo Nuclear Deal
Should sanctions against Tehran be tightened? US Senators believe Iran's nuclear activities can only be halted by ratcheting up the pressure. But Secretary of State John Kerry fears this hawkish stance will scuttle talks between world powers and Iran.
- 2013/11/16: WSWS: Warning of war, Obama administration presses for talks with Iran
- 2013/11/16: WSWS: The assassination of Yasser Arafat
- 2013/11/16: al Jazeera: Libya: on the brink of abyss
Libya's dangerous slip into anarchy will have serious implications for Africa
- 2013/11/15: CDreams: Russian Foreign Minister Reveals Amended Draft Circulated at 'Last Moment'
- 2013/11/15: BBC: An al-Qaeda affiliated rebel group in Syria is reported to have asked for forgiveness after beheading a fellow rebel in a case of mistaken identity
- 2013/11/15: BBC: Deaths at Libya anti-militia protest in Tripoli
- 2013/11/15: BBC: Chemical arms watchdog adopts Syria stockpile plan
- 2013/11/15: BBC: US offers $10m bounty for Benghazi attackers
- 2013/11/15: Guardian(UK): Libyan militiamen kill protesters in Tripoli
- 2013/11/15: Guardian(UK): State Department: we've been offering rewards for Benghazi information
- 2013/11/15: Guardian(UK): CIA spills Camp David secrets on 1978 Egyptian-Israeli agreement
- 2013/11/15: Guardian(UK): Albania rejects US request to host disposal of Syria's chemical weapons
- 2013/11/15: Guardian(UK): North Korea denies sending military aid to Syria
- 2013/11/14: CCurrents: A Vast Wasteland Of Effort Spent: America's Rampage Through The Middle East
- 2013/11/14: CSM: Egyptian authorities pave over Rabaa massacre
- 2013/11/15: Xinhuanet: Israeli PM dismisses IAEA report on Iran
- 2013/11/14: RT: IAEA: Iran has not expanded nuclear facilities in last 3 months
- 2013/11/14: AntiWar: IAEA: Iran Halting Nuclear Expansion Under Rouhani -- Since Election, Iran's Program Has Stopped Growing
- 2013/11/15: Asia Times: The Roving Eye - France clueless on Iran
- 2013/11/14: flc: Syrian opposition: 'We are incapable!'
- 2013/11/13: al Jazeera: Syria opposition says armed Kurds 'hostile'
Syrian National Council's statement comes after groups that control parts of the country's north proclaimed self-rule.
The main Syrian opposition alliance has dubbed as "hostile" forces Kurdish groups that control large swathes of the country's north after they proclaimed provisional self-rule.
Kurdish armed groups, dominated by the Democratic Union Party (PYD), sister party of veteran Turkish rebel group the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK), have held the Afrin region of northwestern Syria and big chunks of the northeast for more than a year.
On Monday, they announced that after talks in Qamishli, on the Turkish border, they had decided to declare provisional self-rule in areas under their control, modelling neighbouring Iraq, where the Kurds have had nominal autonomy from Baghdad since 1970.
- 2013/11/15: WSWS: Western-backed opposition agrees to talks amid defeats in Syria
- 2013/11/14: Guardian(UK): Iran slows expansion of nuclear programme
- 2013/11/14: Guardian(UK): Hezbollah will carry on backing Bashar al-Assad, says leader Nasrallah
- 2013/11/14: Guardian(UK): Jihadists call for reinforcements as Syrian regime advances on Aleppo
- 2013/11/14: Guardian(UK): Iran negotiations: John Kerry warns US Congress against passing new sanctions
- 2013/11/14: Guardian(UK): Egypt says improving ties with Russia is not a snub to US
- 2013/11/14: Guardian(UK): Egypt-Russia talks could signal major shift in Cairo's foreign policy
- 2013/11/04: EI: Blumenthal’s "Goliath" holds mirror to Israeli society
- 2013/11/14: DbP: Max Blumenthal's Goliath: Life and Loathing in Greater Israel - reviews: liberal hypocrisy on Israel
- 2013/11/13: CSM: Emboldened by victory over jihadis, Syrian Kurds push toward autonomy
- 2013/11/14: Xinhuanet: Syrian gov't re-controls key town, ready to attend Geneva II
- 2013/11/14: Xinhuanet: Israeli settlement expansion blows up peace talks: Palestinians
- 2013/11/14: IndiaTimes: Hezbollah chief Nasrallah makes rare public appearance, warns of 'war' if no Iran deal
- 2013/11/13: flc: "It ain't gonna happen."
- 2013/11/13: TruthOut: Why Iran Nuclear Talks Failed and Why They Will Get Tougher
- 2013/11/13: AntiWar: Palestinian Peace Negotiators Resign -- Abbas Says Talks Will Continue
- 2013/11/14: WSWS: North Carolina man charged with seeking to join US-backed Syrian opposition
A man from the US state of North Carolina faces up to 15 years in prison and a $250,000 fine for allegedly seeking to join the Al Nusra Front (Janhat al-Nusra), an Al Qaeda-linked organization that has been promoted by the US and its allies throughout the Syrian civil war.
- 2013/11/14: Asia Times: Blinded by principles on Syria's war
- 2013/11/14: Asia Times: Palestinians lose way in own maze
- 2013/11/14: Asia Times: Scuppered Iran deal faces US scrutiny
- 2013/11/13: CDreams: Neocons Still Hoping for US-Iran Clash
- 2013/11/13: Resilience: The Peak Oil Crisis: So, Why is [US] Gasoline So Cheap?
- 2013/11/13: Resilience: Worker Ownership as inclusive capitalism
- 2013/11/13: Resilience: Care for the earth
- 2013/11/13: CBC: Typhoon-struck Philippine city begins mass burial - Death toll rises to 2,357
- 2013/11/13: CBC: Energy East pipeline to face Ontario scrutiny
The province outlines 6 principles that will guide all future assessments of pipeline projects
- 2013/11/13: BBC: Typhoon Haiyan: US carrier to boost relief effort
- 2013/11/13: BBC: Q&A: Disaster management and aid after Typhoon Haiyan
- 2013/11/13: BBC: Typhoon Haiyan: Aid in numbers
- 2013/11/13: BBC: Emissions of CO2 driving rapid oceans 'acid trip'
The world's oceans are becoming acidic at an "unprecedented rate" and may be souring more rapidly than at any time in the past 300 million years.
- 2013/11/13: BBC: Kerry warns fresh Iran sanctions could scuttle nuclear talks
- 2013/11/14: BBC: Top Russian officials set for Egypt talks
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu are due to hold talks in the Egyptian capital Cairo that will reportedly include possible arms deals.
- 2013/11/13: BBC: Egypt's ousted President Mohammed Morsi has warned that the country cannot be stable until he is returned to power
- 2013/11/13: Guardian(UK): Frenemies: the US-Israel relationship gets rocky over Iran and peace talks
Israeli PM Netanyahu is actively calling on American Jews to challenge the US government. It's a bold -- and bad -- move
- 2013/11/13: Guardian(UK): Israeli soldier fatally stabbed on bus
- 2013/11/13: Guardian(UK): Why we, the Syrian National Coalition, have agreed to peace talks
- 2013/11/13: Guardian(UK): Syrian troops capture rebel-held suburb south of Damascus
Town of Hejeira is latest suburb of capital to fall into government hands, as Assad forces also make inroads near Aleppo
- 2013/11/13: Guardian(UK): Mohamed Morsi accuses army chief of treason
Former Egyptian president's speech damns man who toppled him, General Abdel Fatah al-Sisi, marking escalation in rhetoric
- 2013/11/13: CCurrents: Why Israel Wanted Arafat Dead
- 2013/11/13: CCurrents: When Falsehoods Triumph: Why A Winning Palestinian Narrative Is Hard To Find
- 2013/11/13: CCurrents: Libya Almost Imploding, Status Quo Unsustainable
- 2013/11/13: CCurrents: Palestinian College Students In Lebanon : Vowing To Aid Their Countrymen Fleeing Syria
- 2013/11/12: CCurrents: The Charlatanism Of Palestine-Denial
- 2013/11/12: CCurrents: Democracy Syrian-Style
- 2013/11/13: RT: West vs Iran: It’s about economic control
The US and other Western powers have imposed sanctions on Iran not because it poses a serious threat but because a weak economy would keep Iran under control of the international community, Caleb Maupin, an International Action Center organizer, told RT.
- 2013/11/12: RT: French derailing of Iran deal: Scoring points with Israel, selling guns to Saudis
- 2013/11/13: DemNow: As New Protest Law Looms, Egypt Faces Harsher Authoritarian Order Than the Revolution Overthrew
- 2013/11/12: FAIR: Anonymous Diplomats Tell Other Newspapers...
- 2013/11/11: FAIR: Who's an Iran Expert? The Hawks Have Their Say
- 2013/11/11: FAIR: 60 Minutes and Benghazi: When a Hoax Sounds Like a Hoax
- 2013/11/12: MondoWeiss: Israel will attack Iran unless you block nuclear agreement -- French Israel fixer warned Foreign Minister
- 2013/11/12: Going2Tehran: Obama’s Refusal to Respect Iran’s Sovereign and Treaty Rights Continues to Thwart Diplomacy, Leaving America on the Self-Defeating Path to War
- 2013/11/12: AntiWar: White House: Iran Sanctions Bills a ‘March to War’ -- Warns New Sanctions Would Derail Diplomacy
- 2013/11/12: AntiWar: US Backtracks: Iran Not to Blame for Lack of Deal -- Officials Insist Deal Was a 'Near Miss'
- 2013/11/12: AntiWar: IAEA Ready to Verify Any Nuclear Deal With Iran -- Amano: Inspectors to Confirm Implementation of Any Pact
- 2013/11/12: AntiWar: Israel Announces Then Halts Plan for 24,000 New Settlement Homes -- US, Palestinians Both Slammed Announcement
- 2013/11/12: AntiWar: Syrian Kurds Plan Autonomous Government -- Pro-Rebel Faction [Kurdish National Council (KNC)] Opposes Move
- 2013/11/12: AntiWar: House Leadership Still Backs Iran Sanctions, Senate Split -- Sanction Plans Are Subject of Heavy Lobbying
- 2013/11/12: AntiWar: Will Israel Drag Us Into Yet Another War? Their amen corner is working overtime to do just that
- 2013/11/12: AntiWar: US-Israel Split Widens After Settlement ‘Blindside’ -- Unusually Harsh US Rebuke of Settlement Announcement
- 2013/11/12: AntiWar: Israel’s Plan to Ethnically Cleanse Palestinian Bedouin
- 2013/11/13: BBC: Syria rebels urge Aleppo mobilisation to halt assault
A jihadist rebel group affiliated to al-Qaeda has joined calls for a mass mobilisation in the Syrian city of Aleppo to halt a government advance.
- 2013/11/13: BBC: An Israeli soldier has been stabbed to death by a Palestinian teenager on a bus in northern Israel...
- 2013/11/11: JustSecurity: Who Can You Trust? Competing Media Versions of France’s Role in the Iran Nuclear Talks
- 2013/11/12: NakedCapitalism: Egypt Marches to a Saudi Drummer
- 2013/11/12: BBC: Syrian Kurdish party plans transitional administration
Syria's largest Kurdish party has said it plans to form an transitional administration.
The administration would rule Kurdish-majority areas in the northeast until the broader conflict is over.
Kurdish groups in northern Syria have tried to stay out of the civil war between the government and rebels.
However, Islamist rebels have moved into Kurdish-controlled areas in recent months, causing increasing clashes between them and Kurdish militias.
- 2013/11/12: BBC: Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu has ordered his housing minister to reconsider construction plans for more than 20,000 homes in the West Bank
- 2013/11/12: BBC: Iran blames Western powers for nuclear talks failure
- 2013/11/12: BBC: Egypt lifting state of emergency and curfew
- 2013/11/12: FDL: Iran And UN Strike Deal For Increased Monitoring Of Nuclear Sites
- 2013/11/13: Guardian(UK): Binyamin Netanyahu halts West Bank settlement plan
Israeli prime minister acts hours after housing ministry announcement provokes Palestinian threat to quit peace talk
- 2013/11/12: Guardian(UK): Palestinian villages subject to Israeli mock raids not told they are exercises
Israeli military rejects complaints by Israeli human rights group Yesh Din over 'training' arrests of Arabs and raids on homes
- 2013/11/12: Guardian(UK): In Aleppo I only survive by looking Syrian
In this war, to be a foreign reporter is to be hunted by Islamists and the regime. My helmet is a veil, my hijab a flak jacket
- 2013/11/12: Guardian(UK): Enemies put differences aside in a bid to lay foundations of a new Yemen
- 2013/11/12: Guardian(UK): Kerry to pressure Congress against passing new wave of Iran sanctions
- 2013/11/12: CBC: Syrian rebel clashes flare up near Damascus
- 2013/11/11: UN: Iran and UN atomic energy agency agree to strengthen nuclear cooperation
- 2013/11/11: CCurrents: Israeli Bombers over Syria: Al Qaeda’s Air Force
- 2013/11/11: CCurrents: Zionist Crimes Against The Jews
- 2013/11/11: CSM: French exceptionalism? Why France scuttled Iran nuclear agreement
- 2013/11/12: Xinhuanet: China welcomes Iran nuclear inspection deal
- 2013/11/12: RT: ‘Not our fault’: Iran denies scuttling nuclear talks
- 2013/11/11: RT: Oil crumps: Libya, Iraq ‘pay the price for chaotic Western intervention’
- 2013/11/10: alMonitor: For France, Arak is a deal killer
[...] Building the Arak heavy water reactor, which could produce plutonium to make a bomb while the talks continue, fails to create confidence; it does the opposite.
- 2013/11/11: flc: Bandar + $$$ + France = Scuttling US Diplomacy!
- 2013/11/11: WaPo: Iran signs agreement with IAEA to allow broader inspections of nuclear sites
- 2013/11/11: TDB: Iran Hawks’ Definition of Successful Nuclear Diplomacy Is Impossible
- 2013/11/11: CNN: 6 reasons Iran deal was good for America by Trita Parsi
- 2013/11/12: AntiWar: A Deal With Iran -- or War With Iran? [Buchanan]
- 2013/11/11: AntiWar: Turkey Frets Syrian Kurdish Gains in Northeast -- Meanwhile, Iraq Hopes Kurds Can Keep al-Qaeda Off the Border
- 2013/11/11: AntiWar: Why Did France Torpedo the Iran Negotiations?
- 2013/11/11: AntiWar: Western Backtrack on Uranium Enrichment Killed Iran Deal -- US, France Sought to Change Deal at Last Minute
- 2013/11/11: AntiWar: Israel: Iran Deal Would Make War Really Tough to Start -- Officials Say US Trying to Make Deal to Avoid Israeli Attack
- 2013/11/12: BBC: Egypt 'worst for women' out of 22 countries in Arab world
- 2013/11/12: al Jazeera: Iran and US trade blame over failed deal
Iranian Foreign Minister criticises John Kerry for his remarks that blamed Islamic republic for lack of nuclear deal.
- 2013/11/12: al Jazeera: NGO: Israeli plan for Jewish town racist
Israeli Arab rights group Adalah accuses government of establishing new Jewish towns while evicting Bedouin residents.
A rights organisation based in Israel has accused the government of promoting "racist" policies with its decision to establish a Jewish town in the place of a Bedouin village.
The Israeli cabinet on Sunday approved the establishment of "two new communities in the Negev" desert in southern Israel, naming them as Kesif and Hiran.
- 2013/11/12: Asia Times: Rouhani's reform pledges hit cultural wall
- 2013/11/12: Asia Times: The Roving Eye - Why France is playing 'stupid' on Iran
- 2013/11/11: Guardian(UK): Iran: don't let the naysayers prevail
- 2013/11/11: Guardian(UK): Video shows man alleged to be Australian suicide bomber
- 2013/11/11: Guardian(UK): The sons feared lost to al-Qaida in Syria
- 2013/11/11: Guardian(UK): Syrian opposition and government sign up for conditional Geneva peace talks
- 2013/11/11: Guardian(UK): Last-minute rethink stalled deal on nuclear Iran
- 2013/11/11: Guardian(UK): Iran allows inspectors to visit two key nuclear sites
- 2013/11/11: MoA: While France Blocked Negotiations Kerry Blames Iran
- 2013/11/11: EUO: France blocks Iran nuclear deal
- 2013/11/11: Xinhuanet: Iran allows IAEA to visit Arak plant, Gachin mine
- 2013/11/11: IndiaTimes: IAEA chief Yukiya Amano arrives in Iran to press for nuclear deal
- 2013/11/11: RT: Libyan separatists take over oil exports as PM warns of foreign intervention
A separatist Libyan region has announced an establishment of an independent oil company after taking over several commercial sea ports. As Tripoli struggles to regain control, the PM has warned of foreign intervention unless central govt rule restored.
- 2013/11/11: RT: Kerry: World powers agree to nuclear deal, but Iran 'walked away'
US Secretary of State John Kerry countered claims France had torpedoed nuclear talks with Iran, saying the six world powers "signed off" on a deal, but Iran wasn’t ready to accept it. Tehran and the UN nuclear watchdog agreed on a roadmap for cooperation.
Kerry delivered his comments in Abu Dhabi on Monday following rampant speculation behind why marathon talks between the P5+1 - the United States, Russia, China, Britain, France and Germany - and Iran on Saturday failed to produce an agreement.
- 2013/11/10: SwissInfo: No Iran deal in Geneva talks
Talks on curbing Iran’s nuclear programme ended without an agreement early on Sunday after France objected that proposed measures didn’t go far enough. US Secretary of State John Kerry said "significant progress" had been made on the remaining differences.
- 2013/11/10: flc: US Intel: 'Al Qaeda-linked fighters sent to Syria, will be trained in Pakistan' (with Saudi money)
- 2013/11/10: flc: SNC Member: "For the Saudis, the SNC has become an arena to settle scores with the US"
- 2013/11/11: AntiWar: ‘Peace Scare’ in Geneva -- How the War Party may yet drag us into bombing Iran
- 2013/11/10: AntiWar: French Sabotaged Iran Pact for Arms Deal -- Is Hollande Govt Looking for a 'War Dividend?'
With the election of reformist President Hassan Rouhani and a strong diplomatic push, much of the world was looking toward a rapprochement with Iran, with many businesses looking to reap the benefits of reintegrating oil-rich Iran into the global economy. France apparently found a better deal.
Faced with rumors of an imminent Israeli attack on Iran, the Hollande government cynically took the opportunity to sabotage to talks so they could sell weapons to the Saudi government.
- 2013/11/10: AntiWar: Kerry: Obama Willing to Attack Iran At Any Time -- Defends Diplomacy While Playing Up Military Option
- 2013/11/10: AntiWar: Netanyahu Vows Action Against Iran Diplomacy -- 10 Days Till Talks Means 10 Days to Condemnation
- 2013/11/10: AntiWar: Netanyahu Rails Against ‘Pampered’ Palestinians -- Insists International Community Spoiling Them
- 2013/11/09: SST: "Understanding Syria" by William R. Polk
- 2013/11/08: SST: Israeli rejects peace with Iran
- 2013/11/07: SST: The Obama/Kerry "follies" in the ME roll on.
- 2013/11/10: BBC: Saudi police in Riyadh clash with migrant workers
- 2013/11/10: BBC: Iran FM: Sectarian strife is worst threat in world
- 2013/11/11: BBC: Syria's main opposition alliance [SNC] says it will attend planned peace talks, if a number of conditions are met
- 2013/11/11: WSWS: International talks stall on Iran’s nuclear program
Talks in Geneva between Iran and the P5+1 group (the US, Britain, France, Russia, China and Germany) broke up in the early hours of Sunday morning without reaching an interim agreement to end the protracted confrontation over Tehran’s nuclear programs. The scheduled two-day talks had been extended to Saturday and the P5+1 foreign ministers flew into Geneva in anticipation that a deal would be reached, but France effectively blocked an agreement.
Commenting on France’s decision to break ranks, one Western diplomat told the Guardian: "This is about France’s interests in the Gulf and the fact that Hollande is going to Israel later this month and doesn’t want the trip to turn into a nightmare."
- 2013/11/11: al Jazeera: Deal or no deal?
A nuclear deal with Tehran is rewarding to all parties except Israel and Saudi Arabia
- 2013/11/10: CBC: Syrian opposition [SNC] agrees to take part in Geneva peace talks
- 2013/11/10: CBC: Iranian deputy industry minister shot dead in Tehran
- 2013/11/10: Guardian(UK): Yemen air strikes kill al-Qaida militants
- 2013/11/10: Guardian(UK): Iran nuclear deal in danger of unravelling
- 2013/11/10: Guardian(UK): Iranians angry and bewildered after French torpedo Geneva nuclear entente
- 2013/11/10: MoA: France Blocks U.S. Pivot To Persia
- 2013/11/09: RT: France stalls deal on Iran nuclear program, talks to resume shortly
- 2013/11/09: RT: Iran launches mass production of new surface-to-air missiles
- 2013/11/09: EmptyWheel: After Reportedly Being Offered Saudi Weapons Sales, France Tries to Blow Up Iran Deal
- 2013/11/09: BBC: Iran nuclear: Geneva talks 'something to build on'
Talks between world powers and Iran have failed to reach an agreement on Tehran's nuclear programme.
EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton told a press conference that there had been a lot of "concrete progress but some differences remain".
Baroness Ashton, who coordinated talks, said they would resume on 20 November.
- 2013/11/10: ABC(Au): Iran nuclear talks end without deal in Geneva but hopes remain for next meeting
- 2013/11/09: CBC: Iran nuclear talks end with no deal -- 'Still some questions to be addressed,' says French foreign minister
- 2013/11/10: Guardian(UK): Geneva talks end without deal on Iran's nuclear programme
Diplomats said to be furious after France objected to a stopgap deal being presented as a fait accompli
- 2013/11/09: Guardian(UK): White House adviser Susan Rice says Congress must regain US UNESCO vote
National security adviser uses Twitter to call loss of vote over UN stance on Palestinian membership 'shameful'
- 2013/11/09: Xinhuanet: World powers continue nuclear talks with Iran
- 2013/11/09: RT: Al-Qaeda leader orders main branch in Syria disbanded
- 2013/11/09: RT: ‘A fool’s game’: France skeptical about possible Iran deal
France has called for caution as top diplomats seem to be on the verge of a landmark nuclear agreement with Iran. FM Laurent Fabius said that, although France hopes a deal is clinched, there is "no certainty" of a deal at the Geneva talks.
- 2013/11/08: PLNA: Israeli Soldiers Kill Two Palestinian in West Bank
- 2013/11/06: FP: Saudi Arabia's Shadow War
The Kingdom is turning to Pakistan to train Syria’s rebels. It’s a partnership that once went very wrong in Afghanistan. Will history repeat itself?
- 2013/11/08: flc: Saudi killing fields: "Pakistani merceneries, US$ & Syrian blood!"
- 2013/11/08: flc: Talking tough
- 2013/11/08: WaPo:B: How Netanyahu could kill a nuclear deal with Iran [Congress]
- 2013/11/08: Haaretz: Nuclear accord with Iran could create fierce diplomatic storm between U.S. and Israel
Netanyahu’s harsh rejection of Geneva accord signals looming battle that could strain relations, split the Jewish community, raise prospects of a unilateral Israeli attack -- and put Avigdor Lieberman in the spotlight.
- 2013/11/08: FP:TC: "You're Going to See the Dam Break Loose": Congress Poised to Pounce on Iran Deal
- 2013/11/09: AntiWar: Israel’s Nuclear Ambiguity Prodded
- 2013/11/09: AntiWar: Saudi Arabia and Israel Try To Derail Nuclear Negotiations With Iran by Terrorism
- 2013/11/08: AntiWar: Iran Nuclear Talks Likely to Extend Into Next Week -- Unspecified 'Roadblock' Delays Planned Signing Ceremony
- 2013/11/08: AntiWar: Obama Aims to Calm Israeli Fury at Prospect of Iran Deal -- Netanyahu Condemns 'Bad Deal' That Hasn't Been Made Yet
- 2013/11/08: AntiWar: Why Netanyahu Is So Enraged by a Deal with Iran
[...] In other words, a deal with Iran means Israel can’t launch an illegal war. Ouch.
- 2013/11/08: AntiWar: Assad Likely to Remain in Power, Many Rebels Admit -- Leadership Demands for Resignation 'Outdated'
- 2013/11/09: WSWS: Geneva talks on Iran’s nuclear programs extended
- 2013/11/08: MoA: Big Changes In U.S. Middle East Policy?
- 2013/11/08: CDreams: US, Israel Lose UNESCO Voting Rights
The United States and Israel miss deadline for repayment of dues aftery cutting off contributions to the Paris-based body since Palestine became member
- 2013/11/08: BBC: CBS News apologises for 'wrong' Benghazi report
A CBS News programme has apologised for airing a report in October that gave false information about the September 2012 attack on a US diplomatic post in Benghazi, Libya.
A security contractor told 60 Minutes he had been present during the attack, but later gave a conflicting statement to investigators with the FBI.
Reporter Lara Logan said it was a "mistake" to put the contractor on air.
- 2013/11/08: BBC: Iran nuclear talks to enter third day after 'progress'
- 2013/11/08: CBC: CBS says it was misled by contractor who said he witnessed Benghazi attack
Dylan Davies has given differing accounts of his whereabouts during 2012 attack on U.S. diplomatic mission
CBS News said Friday that it was misled by a 60 Minutes source who claimed he was on the scene of a 2012 attack on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya. It now turns out there are serious doubts about whether or not he was there.
Reporter Lara Logan said that 60 Minutes would correct its Oct. 27 report on Sunday's broadcast. A video copy of that story was taken off the the investigative program's website late Thursday.
- 2013/11/08: Guardian(UK): Kerry: 'we hope to narrow differences' with Iran in nuclear talks - live
- 2013/11/08: Guardian(UK): Israel warns John Kerry over Iranian nuclear deal
- 2013/11/08: Guardian(UK): Iran nuclear deal hopes rise as foreign ministers fly into Geneva
- 2013/11/08: Guardian(UK): Egyptian foreign minister sets out timetable for elections
- 2013/11/08: Guardian(UK): Egypt elections set for spring 2014
- 2013/11/08: Guardian(UK): George Soros pledges $1m for Syria humanitarian work
- 2013/11/08: Guardian(UK): Turkey's new border wall angers Kurds on both sides of Syrian divide
- 2013/11/08: Guardian(UK): Israel killed Yasser Arafat, claims Palestinian official
- 2013/11/08: Guardian(UK): White House ambitions on Iran deal face challenge from hawks in Congress
Hopes that US will announce short-team deal Iran nuclear plans could be frustrated by bid to impose new sanctions on Tehran
- 2013/11/08: Guardian(UK): Rouhani's diplomatic progress in Geneva keeps Iran's hardliners at bay
- 2013/11/08: Guardian(UK): Hawks squawk even before Iran nuclear deal is sealed
- 2013/11/08: CBC: Egypt to hold presidential vote in 'early summer'
Parliamentary elections to be held in Feb. or March, Foreign Minister Nabil Fahmy says
- 2013/11/08: Asia Times: Syrian refugees as combatants
- 2013/11/08: Asia Times: 30-year war for the Syrian economy
- 2013/11/08: Asia Times: Glow of talks flattens nuclear reality
- 2013/11/07: Rediff:B: Turkey resumes European identity by M K Bhadrakumar
- 2013/11/07: CCurrents: The Jewish Paradox Arising From The Curse of Zionism
- 2013/11/07: CCurrents: Asking The Wrong Questions: Did Arab Revolutions Fail?
- 2013/11/08: Xinhuanet: Israeli soldiers shoot dead 2 Palestinians in West Bank
- 2013/11/07: PLNA: Turkish Police Crush Protesters Against Wall at Border with Syria
- 2013/11/06: flc: "It seems the Free Syrian Army is incapable of defending even themselves, let alone the people."
- 2013/11/06: DailyStar(Lb): Is U.S. policy in Syria changing?
The American position on Syria is peculiar, but not unusual. Washington has repeatedly taken contradictory positions on issues in the Middle East that end up leaving it and its allies confused and directionless.
- 2013/10/28: UNZ: As Syria disintegrates, so too does Iraq
Where there are Sunni minorities in Iraq, they will be killed or forced to flee
- 2013/11/07: AntiWar: Interim Iran Nuclear Deal Could Be Signed Friday -- Kerry Heads to Geneva as Talks Gain Momentum
- 2013/11/08: WSWS: Officials signal possible deal in Geneva on Iran’s nuclear program
- 2013/11/08: WSWS: Tests show Yasser Arafat was poisoned with polonium
- 2013/11/08: al Jazeera: Heavy fighting rocks Libyan capital
Rivals battle across Tripoli for hours with anti-aircraft guns and grenades, killing at least one.
- 2013/11/07: BBC: Arafat polonium findings confirmed by Swiss scientists
- 2013/11/07: BBC: Hundreds of Britons fighting in Syria - MI5 chief
- 2013/11/07: BBC: Rival Libyan militias exchange gunfire in Tripoli
- 2013/11/07: BBC: Iran says Geneva nuclear deal possible on Friday
- 2013/11/07: CBC: Benhmuda family, deported to torture in Libya, has fee waived -- Benhmuda family members return as refugees after 2008 deportation
- 2013/11/07: DbP: Israeli 'master of disinformation' Danny Ayalon takes a hit: hasbara fantasies exposed in new video
- 2013/11/07: Guardian(UK): Ministers seek secret court procedure in torture allegations case
Terrorism suspect who escaped in burqa and UK citizen of Somali descent accuse British authorities of complicity in torture
- 2013/11/07: Guardian(UK): Yorkshire-educated woman becomes first female Hamas spokesperson
Isra al-Modallal, 23, who spent three years at school in Bradford, becomes public face of Hamas government in Gaza
- 2013/11/07: Guardian(UK): To support the boycott, divestment and sanctions movement is not antisemitic
- 2013/11/07: Guardian(UK): Syria crisis: Saudi Arabia to spend millions to train new rebel force
Riyadh 'fighting two wars in Syria' as new force Jaysh al-Islam excludes al-Qaida affiliates in bid to defeat Assad regime [...] Saudi effort is focused on Jaysh al-Islam (the Army of Islam or JAI)...
- 2013/11/07: Guardian(UK): Iranian official reports progress at Geneva nuclear talks
- 2013/11/07: Guardian(UK): Iranian foreign minister raises hopes for early success in nuclear negotiations
- 2013/11/07: Guardian(UK): Iran and west to begin drafting nuclear deal after great leap forward in Geneva
- 2013/11/07: Guardian(UK): Does Pakistan have nuclear weapons ready to ship to Saudi Arabia?
A new BBC report says they are packed and ready to go
- 2013/11/07: EurActiv: Research dispute puts EU-Israel ties under severe strain
- 2013/11/07: EUO: Masked special units push back Syrian refugees, German NGO says
Armed special-op units in Greece are reportedly repelling asylum seekers and refugees in commando-like operations on its Turkish land border and out at sea.
- 2013/11/07: EUO: EU urges Israel to 'reverse' new settler homes decision
EU foreign relations chief Ashton has urged Israel to "reverse" a decision to build 1,859 settler homes on Palestinian land in the middle of fragile peace talks.
- 2013/11/06: CCurrents: An Attack On Iran Could Escalate Into Global Nuclear War
- 2013/11/06: CCurrents: Saudis Fight A Lost Battle Against Change
- 2013/11/06: CCurrents: Human Rights Advocate: Censor Them!
- 2013/11/06: CSM: Iran nuclear talks: Can the window stay open long enough for a deal?
- 2013/11/07: Xinhuanet: World powers, Iran hold new round of nuclear talks
- 2013/11/07: Xinhuanet: Settlement division dwarfs Kerry's effort for Mideast peace talks
- 2013/11/07: Xinhuanet: Israeli border stations enable "spying": Lebanese minister
- 2013/11/07: IndiaTimes: Guarded hopes as Iran nuclear talks kick off in Geneva
Geneva: A fresh round of talks between Iran and world powers kicks off in Geneva on Thursday amid guarded hopes a deal may finally be possible in the standoff over Tehran's nuclear programme.
In their second meeting here in less than a month, negotiators from the United States and five other world powers will sit down with Iranian officials for two days in the hopes of hammering out a framework agreement.
- 2013/11/07: IndiaTimes: Egypt re-evaluating ties with Turkey over Erdogan's comments
Cairo: Egypt has taken strong objection to Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan's comments that "Rabaa sign" adopted by the supporters of deposed President Mohamed Morsi is a symbol of denouncing injustice.
Islamist supporters of Morsi have adopted the "Rabaa sign" - four-finger salute - during recent protests as a symbol of defiance to the interim government.
The "narrow" partisan vision of Erdogan is driving Egypt into a path it wants to avoid in order to preserve the historic relations between the two countries, presidential spokesperson Ehab Badawy said.
- 2013/11/06: FP: Saudi Arabia's Shadow War
The Kingdom is turning to Pakistan to train Syria’s rebels. It’s a partnership that once went very wrong in Afghanistan. Will history repeat itself?
- 2013/11/06: NBC: Saudi nuclear weapons 'on order' from Pakistan
Saudi Arabia has invested in Pakistani nuclear weapons projects, and believes it could obtain atomic bombs at will, a variety of sources have told BBC Newsnight.
- 2013/11/03: Going2Tehran: America’s Lead Iran Negotiator Misrepresents U.S. Policy (and International Law) to Congress
- 2013/11/06: CNN: Iran talks: Do we want a deal or a war?
- 2013/11/06: AntiWar: Netanyahu: Lack of Peace Progress Palestinians’ Fault -- Kerry Urges Israel to Stop Expanding Settlements
- 2013/11/07: DbP: "The real truth about the West Bank" video: Lara Sawalha and Dana Dajani expose Danny Danon's hasbara fictions
- 2013/11/06: al Jazeera: Kerry: Israeli settlements are illegitimate
US secretary of state condemns building in occupied territories and says Palestinians "at no time" accepted them.
- 2013/11/07: al Jazeera: Turkey, Europe and the Syrian Crisis: Edging towards a new consensus?
An international consensus over Syria appears to be emerging out of fear of growing signs of radicalisation.
- 2013/11/07: Asia Times: Darkness rising in Syrian opposition
- 2013/11/07: Asia Times: US, Iran try to narrow gaps on nuclear deal
- 2013/11/06: CDreams: Iran Talks: Do We Want a Deal or a War?
- 2013/11/06: BBC: Syria conflict: Damascus and Suweida hit by deadly blast
Eight people have been killed in a blast in the centre of the Syrian capital, Damascus, the Sana state news agency reports.
It said 50 were also wounded in the Hijaz Square explosion, which hit the offices of the railway company.
Eight people were also killed by a rare blast in the town of Suweida, home to Syria's Druze minority, say reports.
Suweida has remained under government control through the conflict, and had so far been largely free of violence.
- 2013/11/06: BBC: Yasser Arafat 'may have been poisoned with polonium'
- 2013/11/06: CBC: Muslim Brotherhood ban upheld by Egyptian court
- Wiki: Isotopes of polonium
- 2013/11/06: Guardian(UK): Yasser Arafat may have been poisoned with polonium, tests show
- 2013/11/06: Guardian(UK): Polonium-210: the hard-to-detect poison that killed Alexander Litvinenko
- 2013/11/06: Guardian(UK): Yasser Arafat: what the report shows
- 2013/11/06: Guardian(UK): Yasser Arafat report by Swiss Institut de Radiophysique - full text
- 2013/11/06: Guardian(UK): Arafat polonium find likely to be another hurdle for peace talks
- 2013/11/06: Guardian(UK): Israeli PM accuses Palestinians of creating artificial crises
- 2013/11/06: Guardian(UK): Deadly bomb blast hits Syrian capital
At least eight killed in explosion at entrance to headquarters of railways authority in central Damascus
- 2013/11/04: MoA: Syria: The Saudis Can Not Lead
- 2013/11/06: CNN: Inside Syrian town living under al Qaeda reign of fear
Raqqa, one of Syria's most liberal cities, has been seized by al Qaeda-backed militants - Fear has gripped the town as militants have imposed hardline Islamic laws in recent months -
Women's rights have been curtailed and many activists and locals have fled the town - Activist: "It's like Afghanistan. Now people call Raqqa Tora Bora."
- 2013/11/06: EUO: Turkey and EU restart membership talks
- 2013/11/05: CCurrents: Israel And The Dangers Of Ethnic Nationalism: An Interview With Jonathan Cook
- 2013/11/06: Xinhuanet: Syrian peace talks stalled as opposition groups split
- 2013/11/06: Xinhuanet: Joint Mission [OPCW] head lauds "quick and constructive" cooperation from Damascus
- 2013/11/06: IndiaTimes: No talks with Israel while settlement grows, Palestinian official says
- 2013/11/06: RT: 'Apartheid wall' as border? Israel offers Palestine its demarcation terms - reports
- 2013/11/05: RT: Iran and Israel meet for secret denuclearization talks - diplomats
- 2013/11/05: flc: "Talk to Iran, It Works!"
- 2013/11/05: flc: "America’s Moment of Truth on Iran"
- 2013/11/05: flc: White House: 'some aspects of Iran financial sanctions can be eased by executive order'
- 2013/11/05: AntiWar: No Evidence, But US Keeps Expressing ‘Doubts’ on Syria Chemical Disarmament -- US Says Willingness to Disarm 'Strains Credulity'
- 2013/11/05: AntiWar: Israel to Palestinians: West Bank Wall Will Be the Border -- Negotiators Tell PA to Forget About Green Line
- 2013/11/05: AntiWar: Iran: Basic Framework of Nuclear Deal Possible This Week -- Iran FM Warns 'Distrust' May Slow Final Pact
- 2013/11/06: BBC: Israel's former Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman has been cleared of corruption charges by a court in Jerusalem
- 2013/11/06: WSWS: In run-up to nuclear talks, Iranians protest en masse against US aggression
- 2013/11/06: al Jazeera: Egypt's unsustainable path
Political exclusion of Islamists may be popular on the Egyptian street, but it may also threaten the Egyptian state.
- 2013/11/06: al Jazeera: US checking accuracy of Syrian arms document
Government experts checking "extremely technical" declaration of chemical-weapons sites, US diplomat [Samantha Power] says.
- 2013/11/06: Asia Times: Spring in the steps of Arab revolt
- 2013/11/05: CDreams: Pay No Attention to That Imperialist Behind the Curtain
- 2013/11/05: BBC: Syria conflict: No date for peace conference - UN envoy, Lakhdar Brahimi
The UN-Arab League envoy on Syria has said that a peace conference he had hoped to hold in Geneva this month has been delayed but he is still "striving" for a summit by the end of the year.
- 2013/11/04: AlterNet: Chomsky: Don't Be Distracted by One-State/Two-State 'Debate' on Israel -- Something Much More Nefarious Is Going on
- 2013/11/05: Guardian(UK): Iran looks to oil to ease the pressure of economic sanctions
- 2013/11/05: Xinhuanet: World powers prepare for Syria peace talks
- 2013/11/05: Xinhuanet: Iran urges to abandon pressure policy ahead of nuclear talks
- 2013/11/04: PLNA: Palestinian FM Denounces Israeli Expansionist Plan at Arab League
- 2013/11/01: Cryptome: Turkish Prime Minister Plans to Takeover Universities
- 2013/11/03: NatInt: Mirror-Image Hardliners - in United States and Iran
- 2013/11/05: AntiWar: US-Iran Poised for Breakthrough on Hostage Crisis Anniversary
- 2013/11/04: AntiWar: Report: Kurds Oust al-Qaeda From 19 Towns in Syria’s Northeast -- Series of Victories Shores Up Kurdish Autonomy
- 2013/11/05: WSWS: Amid protests, Egyptian court suspends trial of ousted President Mursi
- 2013/11/05: WSWS: Australian government considers blocking return of Syrian fighters
- 2013/11/04: al Jazeera: Geneva II: Giving war a chance? Can the Geneva II process end the Syrian impasse?
- 2013/11/05: Asia Times: America's forked tongue on Iran
- 2013/11/05: Asia Times: US-Iran seek change on crisis anniversary
- 2013/11/05: Asia Times: Why Riyadh must manage its paranoia
- 2013/11/04: CDreams: Imploding the Myth of Israel by Chris Hedges
- 2013/11/04: Guardian(UK): Senator Kerry makes Middle East trip to save stagnating peace talks
- 2013/11/04: Guardian(UK): Syria crisis: 40% of population need humanitarian assistance, says UN
- 2013/11/04: Guardian(UK): Syria: my journey into a nightmare war
How did a young British man with no combat experience join the Free Syrian Army? A London student describes the horror of finding himself out of his depth in a bloody conflict
- 2013/11/04: Guardian(UK): Bahrain jails Shias over 'Iran-backed' assassination plans
- 2013/11/04: Guardian(UK): Kerry hails disgruntled Saudi Arabia as 'the senior player' in Middle East
- 2013/11/04: Guardian(UK): Egypt: Morsi trial adjourned until 8 January
- 2013/11/04: Guardian(UK): Mohamed Morsi trial adjourned as chaos breaks out in Egyptian court
- 2013/11/04: Guardian(UK): 'I am the president of the republic' - chaos in court as Morsi stands trial
- 2013/11/04: Guardian(UK): Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood are pushing Egypt deeper into the quagmire
- 2013/11/03: AANS: A resignation that won't register in US media
- 2013/11/04: Asia Times: US-Israeli spat echoes in Syria and Gaza
- 2013/11/04: IndiaTimes: Egypt: Judge in Morsi's trial adjourns hearing
- 2013/11/04: RT: US peace effort wavers as Israel issues tenders for new settlement homes
- 2013/11/03: RT: Bahrain Shia opposition leader charged with insulting interior ministry
- 2013/11/03: AntiWar: US Promises to Consult Israel Before Any Deal With Iran -- Israeli Security 'Paramount' in Any Negotiations
- 2013/11/03: AntiWar: Iran Supreme Leader Warns Hardliners: Don’t Undermine Nuclear Talks -- Negotiators Have a Difficult Mission
- 2013/11/03: AntiWar: AIPAC: No Pause in Lobbying for Iran Sanctions -- Rumors of Deal With Israel Lobby Rejected
- 2013/11/03: AntiWar: East Libya Declares ‘Autonomy’ from Tripoli -- Announcement Moves Cyrenaica Closer to Secession
- 2013/11/03: AntiWar: Ahead of Kerry Visit, Israel Announces 1,859 More Settlement Homes -- Announcement Puts Peace Talks in Even Deeper Peril
- 2013/11/03: AntiWar: Syrian Opposition Rules Out Peace Talks -- Won't Go to Geneva Unless It's to Talk Regime Change
- 2013/11/03: SST: Rebels lose ground to Assad forces in Syria war - TTG
- 2013/11/03: SST: "Khamenei tells Iran's hardliners not to undermine nuclear talks" Reuters
- 2013/11/01: SST: The News of the Middle East on the First of November
- 2013/11/04: BBC: Egypt on high alert as Mohammed Morsi arrives for trial
- 2013/11/04: WSWS: Geneva talks to restart on Iran’s nuclear program
In the lead-up to the second round of international talks this week on Iran’s nuclear programs, the Obama administration is already indicating that there will be no significant reduction in US-led sanctions that are crippling the Iranian economy.
- 2013/11/04: WSWS: Plans for Geneva II talks on Syria in disarray
- 2013/11/04: WSWS: Kerry begins Middle East tour with visit to back Egyptian military junta
- 2013/11/04: al Jazeera: Egypt's deposed President Morsi on trial
Detained leader brought from secret location to Cairo venue to face charges of incitement of violence and murder.
- 2013/11/03: al Jazeera: Israel to build wall along Jordanian border
Decision to build border fence coincides with approval of construction of almost 2,000 settler homes in occupied areas.
- 2013/11/02: al Jazeera: Israel to drill for oil in the West Bank
A large reserve may lie under Israel and the occupied territories, but Palestinians are unlikely to reap the benefits.
- 2013/11/03: al Jazeera: Insult charges for Bahraini opposition leader
Head of Al Wefaq Shia bloc is accused of insulting authorities through "Revolution Museum" that was displayed in Manama.
- 2013/11/03: BBC: An Israeli drone has come down in the northern Gaza Strip, with Israel denying Palestinian reports that it was shot down
- 2013/11/03: CBC: Syria opposition lays preconditions for peace talks -- Syria opposition says Iran must not attend, calls for more weapons
- 2013/11/03: Guardian(UK): Radicalisation in Syria poses growing threat to Europe, says Turkish President. Abdullah Gul
- 2013/11/03: Guardian(UK): Imprisoned Iranian human rights lawyer goes on hunger strike
- 2013/11/03: Guardian(UK): John Kerry meets Egyptian foreign minister to mend frayed relations
- 2013/11/03: Guardian(UK): Egypt on high alert as Mohamed Morsi trial threatens to revive civil unrest
- 2013/11/03: al Jazeera: Iran supreme leader backs nuclear talks
Ayatollah Ali Khamenei voices support but also pessimism days before world powers meet for new round of negotiations.
- 2013/11/02: Guardian(UK): Statue of Jesus erected on Syrian hilltop
- 2013/11/02: AANS: This is a maassacre that you won't hear about: a massacre that won't outrage Western human rights organization. A massacre that won't bother the UNSC
- 2013/11/02: al Jazeera: Peace is war: After the Oslo Accords
Almost a century after the Balfour Declaration, the Palestinians' rights are being negotiated away by the PA.
- 2013/10/31: NYT: Syria Destroys Chemical Sites, Inspectors Say
- 2013/11/01: CCurrents: White House Expected To Ease Sanctions Targeting Syria
- 2013/11/01: CCurrents: A New Phase Of Neoliberalism In Iran: The Untold Story Of Iran's "Moderate" Government
- 2013/11/01: CCurrents: Refusing To Understand Iran
- 2013/11/01: CSM: To get a deal with Iran, US must suspend - not increase - sanctions
- 2013/11/01: CSM: Iran warns US not to let nuclear deal slip away
- 2013/11/01: RT: Syrian chemical weapons likely to be destroyed abroad - Russia
- 2013/11/01: DemNow: Canadians Held 50 Days in Egyptian Prison After Documenting Massacre Speak Out Following Release
- 2013/11/01: flc: "Netanyahu is the main actor in creating the US led coalition of the marginally willing that seeks to destroy the Syrian government ..."
- 2013/11/01: AntiWar: House Committee Approves Half Billion Dollar Israeli Military Aid Increase
- 2013/11/01: AntiWar: Israel to Demolish Homes of 15,000 Palestinians in East Jerusalem -- Jerusalem Govt Plans to Wipe Out 200 Blocks
- 2013/11/01: AntiWar: Israel ‘Furious’ as White House Confirms Latest Syria Attack -- Israeli Analysts Accuse US of Trying to Start Regional War
- 2013/11/01: al Jazeera: Peace is war: Israeli settler-colonialism and the Palestinians
Reframing war as a means to peace was and is an integral element of the Zionist project, writes scholar, Joseph Massad
- 2013/11/01: BBC: Israel-Gaza violence flares over tunnel
Four Palestinian militants have been killed and five Israeli soldiers injured in violence in the Gaza Strip, Israeli and Palestinian sources say.
The soldiers were wounded when they were hit by a bomb as they were destroying a tunnel found last month running from Gaza to Israel.
A militant died when troops returned fire. Three more were killed in an Israeli air strike, Palestinians said.
- 2013/11/01: BBC: Egypt satirist Bassem Youssef's TV show suspended
- 2013/11/01: Guardian(UK): If we accept Israel is metaphorically autistic we lose all hope of change
- 2013/11/01: Guardian(UK): Gaza violence kills four militants and wounds five Israeli soldiers
- 2013/11/01: Guardian(UK): US claims Israel attacked Russian missile shipment in Syria
- 2013/11/01: Guardian(UK): Russia still planning Syria international peace conference, says Medvedev
- 2013/11/02: Guardian(UK): Egyptian TV station suspends satirist Bassem Youssef's show
- 2013/11/01: Guardian(UK): John Kerry to visit Egypt on day before trial of ex-president Mohamed Morsi
- 2013/11/01: Guardian(UK): Female Muslim Brotherhood protesters arrested in Alexandria
- 2013/11/01: UN: UN agency reaches ‘record’ number of Syrians with food, but many remain cut off
- 2013/11/01: UN: Senior UN relief official urges immediate action to resolve Gaza power crisis
- 2013/11/01: IndiaTimes: Israel carries out air strike on Syria, inspectors seal chemical weapons
- 2013/11/01: RT: Israeli strike on Syrian defense base an attempt to derail peace talks
- 2013/11/01: al Jazeera: Palestinians killed by Israeli fire in Gaza
Israeli tank shell reportedly kills Hamas members, as Palestinian FM threatens to sue Israel over settlement expansion.
- 2013/11/01: al Jazeera: Israeli air strikes hit Syrian military base
No official comment from Israel, as reports suggest attack was meant to destroy Russian-made missiles.
- 2013/11/01: Asia Times: Congress versus Obama on Iran
- 2013/11/01: Asia Times: The Islamic litmus test
- 2013/11/01: Guardian(UK): Israel strikes Russian weapons shipment in Syria
US security official says attack occurred in port city of Latakia and that target was Russian-made SA-125 missiles
Last modified December 18, 2013