News Stories (June 2014)
- 2014/06/28: CBC: ISIS battle intensifies in [Tikrit] northern Iraq -- Embattled city without power, water since Friday
- 2014/06/28: VineyardSaker: June 28th IRAQ SITREP by Mindfriedo
- 2014/06/25: JamiolsWorld: (cartoon - Jamiol) Jamiol's World 'toons
- 2014/06/27: EnergyPost: Kurdish oil will find its way out
- 2014/06/27: EnergyPost: The new Oil Wars in Iraq
- 2014/06/27: CCurrents: More U.S. Killings And War Crimes in Iraq ? HELL NO!
- 2014/06/27: CCurrents: ISIS (DAASH) Now Recruiting In Palestinian Camps In Lebanon--Who Are Those Guys?
- 2014/06/27: CCurrents: The Syrian Election And ISIS In Iraq
- 2014/06/28: Xinhuanet: Iraqi army wages major offensive to retake Tikrit
- 2014/06/28: IndiaTimes: Iraq troops advance on Tikrit in biggest fightback yet
- 2014/06/27: RT: 10,000 people flee Iraqi Christian town amid fighting
- 2014/06/27: FAIR: This Sunday, a Different Kind of Iraq War Booster: Bill Clinton
- 2014/06/27: UNZ: Iraq Crisis: Sectarian Hatred Stalks Baghdad as the Rise of Isis Widens the Gulf Between Shia and Sunni
The city has long been a divided society. But the murder of a Sunni doctor -- two bullets to the head -- demonstrates a new chapter in the killings
- 2014/06/27: HuffPo: If You Were An Iraq War Critic, You're Probably Not Being Asked To Go On TV
- 2014/06/26: WashEx: Iraq and the echoes of Vietnam
- 2014/06/27: AntiWar: Obama Downplays ISIS Threat to US Security -- Continues to Escalate US Involvement in Iraq
- 2014/06/27: AntiWar: Sistani Urges Iraqi Parliament: Agree on New PM by Tuesday -- Still No Consensus Candidate Among Shi'ite MPs
- 2014/06/27: AntiWar: Iraq Police Confirm Mass Execution of Sunni Prisoners -- Govt Claims of ISIS Attack Untrue, Police Say
- 2014/06/27: AntiWar: Drones, Troops, and Hellfire Missiles: US Involvement in Iraq Grows
- 2014/06/27: CPunch: Who Are Those Guys? ISIS (DAASH) Now Recruiting in Palestinian Camps in Lebanon
- 2014/06/26: DerSpiegel: Days of Terror: Iraqi Christians Live in Fear of ISIS
Some 40,000 Christians live in Qaraqosh, a town near Mosul, Iraq. Residents have been gathering daily in 12 local churches as ISIS jihadists advance towards the community. Their existence is a precarious one.
- 2014/06/25: DerSpiegel: The New Face of Terror: ISIS' Rise Pushes Iraq to Brink
The jihadist group Islamic State of Iraq and Syria is relatively new on the scene, but its secretive leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi has quickly transformed it into one of the most feared terrorist groups around. It threatens to completely transform the Middle East.
- 2014/06/28: BBC: Iraq crisis: Helicopter strikes on Tikrit rebels
- 2014/06/28: BBC: Iraq crisis: Armed US drones in use to protect advisers
- 2014/06/28: TruthDig: Is Russia Replacing U.S. in Iraq?
- 2014/06/28: WSWS: US escalates intervention in Mideast crisis
- 2014/06/28: WSWS: Blackwater mercenaries on trial in US court for 2007 Iraq massacre
- 2014/06/28: al Jazeera: Iraq army launches offensive to retake Tikrit
Government forces head for rebel-held city in biggest troop movement yet towards territory held by ISIL and allies.
- 2014/06/28: al Jazeera: Iraq's Kurds rule out any Kirkuk retreat
Massoud Barzani says ambition of incorporating city "achieved", amid growing calls for inclusive government in Baghdad.
- 2014/06/27: BBC: Iraq's most influential Shia cleric [Grand Ayatollah Sistani] has called for a prime minister to be appointed before Tuesday in a bid to defuse the country's political crisis
- 2014/06/27: Wonkette: Here’s A Picture Of John McCain Hanging Out With ISIS Freedom Fighters In 2013
- 2014/06/27: CSM: Why China stays quiet on Iraq, despite being no. 1 oil investor
- 2014/06/26: CSM: Iraq crisis: Kerry to meet with Saudi king, seeking Sunni Arab restraint
- 2014/06/27: RT: Iraq: The things warmongers said
- 2014/06/27: RT: ‘With Maliki staying in govt, the splitting up of Iraq is inevitable’
Unless something miraculous happens in the parliament in Baghdad, and they choose a different Prime Minister, which probably may not happen, it is very likely that Iraq will split up, former security policy analyst at the Pentagon Michael Maloof told RT.
- 2014/06/26: Reuters: Israel tells U.S. Kurdish independence is 'foregone conclusion'
- 2014/06/26: AntiWar: Kidnapped by ISIS in May, Most of 186 Kurdish Students Unaccounted For -- Escapee Describes Beatings as Parents Worry
- 2014/06/26: AntiWar: Maliki ‘Welcomes’ Syrian Strikes on ISIS in Iraq -- Insists Strikes Weren't Coordinated
- 2014/06/26: AntiWar: Maliki Faults US, Announces Fighter Jet Purchases From Russia -- Jets Will Arrive in 'Two or Three Days'
- 2014/06/26: AntiWar: Pentagon: 500 Troops in Iraq, More Are Coming -- Major General Dana Pittard to Lead New US Force
- 2014/06/26: AntiWar: Pentagon: Armed US Drones Flying Over Baghdad -- Says Flights Meant to Protect US 'Advisers'
- 2014/06/26: AntiWar: CIA Let Iraq Spy Network Degrade After Occupation Ended -- No Troops on the Ground, CIA Mostly Stayed in Embassy
- 2014/06/26: AntiWar: Iraq’s Shi’ite MPs Preparing to Replace Maliki -- Even Allies See Him as Too Divisive
- 2014/06/26: AntiWar: 260 Killed Across Iraq, But Military Claims Gains in Tikrit
- 2014/06/27: CPunch: What Does ISIS Really Stand For?
- 2014/06/26: CPunch: Maliki Agonistes -- Is Nouri al-Maliki ‘Taking Iraq to Hell’ by Rejecting Salvation Government?
- 2014/06/27: BBC: Hague holds talks with Kurdish leaders in northern Iraq
- 2014/06/27: CBC: ISIS success shows U.S. out of touch with Iraq's reality
- 2014/06/27: CBC: Iraq conflict: ISIS executed 160 captives, rights group [HRW] says
- 2014/06/26: TruthDig: Iraq PM al-Maliki Rejects Government of National Unity as Sunnis Demand He Step Down
- 2014/06/26: TruthDig: It’s the Oil, Stupid!
- 2014/06/27: WSWS: Region-wide war threatens as Iraqi state disintegrates
- 2014/06/27: al Jazeera: Iraqi military battles for control of Tikrit
Army helicopters land in rebel-held city as locals complain that government forces were firing indiscriminately.
- 2014/06/27: al Jazeera: Mapping Iraq's fighting groups
A synopsis of the various fighters in Iraq grouped by religion, culture, region, and political agendas.
- 2014/06/22: Telegraph(UK): How US and Britain were warned of Isis advance in Iraq but 'turned a deaf ear'
Kurdish intelligence chief says information was passed on to CIA and MI6 about grand plan to take Baghdad
- 2014/06/27: Asia Times: The Roving Eye - Fear and loathing at Hotel Babylon
- 2014/06/27: BBerg: Kerry Finds U.S. Vision a Hard Sell Amid Mideast Turmoil
- 2014/06/26: VineyardSaker: June 26th IRAQ SITREP by Mindfriedo
- 2014/06/26: BBC: Iraqi PM Nouri Maliki: Russian jets will turn tide
- 2014/06/27: ABC(Au): Iraq crisis: Government troops launch airborne assault to take Tikrit as more US troops arrive in Baghdad
- 2014/06/26: RT: Six die in northern Kirkuk, as ISIS militants fight bloody war in Iraq
Kirkuk has witnessed the first terror act since it came under the Kurds’ authority, and this comes as the oil-rich region is surrounded by blood-thirsty ISIS fighters. The latest deadly bombing claimed at least six lives.
The officials said that a suicide bomber was seen on the street wearing an explosive-stuffed vest. He was actually aiming for the building of a Kurdish political party office, RT’s Lucy Kafanov, who’s in violence-hit Kirkuk, said.
- 2014/06/24: UNZ: Finally: Iraq Crisis Brings Swift Rebuke of Iraq Architects -- Mendacious Media Appearances Attract Ire and Condemnation
- 2014/06/25: AntiWar: ISIS Seizes Oilfields, Moves on Former US Air Base -- Hydroelectric Dam a Major Energy Producer in Anbar Province
- 2014/06/25: AntiWar: ISIS Supporters: US Airstrikes Would Make Americans a Target
- 2014/06/25: AntiWar: Officials: Syrian Airstrikes Killed 57 Iraqi Civilians -- Provincial Officials Slam 'Barbarian Attacks'
- 2014/06/25: AntiWar: Kerry ‘Warns’ Syria Over Airstrikes on ISIS-Controlled Iraq -- Cautions Killings Could 'Act as a Flash Point' for Conflict
- 2014/06/25: AntiWar: Maliki Slams Calls for Unity Government as ‘Rebellion’ -- Insists Opposition Must Unify Behind His Continued Rule
- 2014/06/25: AntiWar: Al-Qaeda Fighters Merge With ISIS at Syria-Iraq Border -- After Weeks of Fighting, Nusra Commander Pledges Loyalty to ISIS
- 2014/06/25: AntiWar: Iran, Syria Stepping Up Involvement in Iraq -- US: Iran Operating Surveillance Drones Out of Baghdad
- 2014/06/24: BaltimoreSun: The U.S. should stay out of Iraq -- Intervention is both illegal and ill-advised
- 2014/06/23: S&S: World needs to take a dose of realism about Iraq
- 2014/06/26: AntiWar: Taking Out Our Friends So We Can Install Our Enemies. What?
Once in a while the inconsistencies in American foreign policy become sufficiently clear to reveal the consistency in American foreign policy.
In an astonishing shift of geopolitical realities, America finds itself, literally, at war with itself.
Though Syria and Iraq are consistently presented as two separate stories -- the one in Syria as a hopeful rebellion; the one in Iraq as a terrorist uprising -- the protagonist of the first story is the same character as the one cast as the antagonist in the second.
- 2014/06/25: CPunch: Intervention Will Only Make Matters Worse -- Who Will Save Iraq?
- 2014/06/25: CPunch: Iraq Disintegrates -- Kurds Winning Battle of Self-Rule
- 2014/06/26: BBC: Iraqi PM welcomes Syria air strike on border crossing
- 2014/06/26: CBC: Iraq: Militants take gas field town north of Baghdad
Mansouriyat al-Jabal is home to gas fields where foreign companies operate
Militants took a town an hour from Baghdad that is home to four natural gas fields on Thursday, another gain by Sunni insurgents who have swiftly taken large areas to the north and west of the Iraqi capital.
- 2014/06/26: WSWS: The fiasco of Kerry’s Middle East tour
- 2014/06/26: WSWS: Recent report confirms: US depleted uranium weapons targeted civilian areas in Iraq war
"Laid to Waste", a report by the Dutch Catholic NGO Pax Christi International, confirms that US forces in Iraq used depleted uranium (DU) weapons in civilian areas during the 2003 invasion of Iraq. More than a decade later, DU is still harming people’s health. The impact of the use of DU in 2003 added to that resulting from the Gulf War of 1991.
- 2014/06/26: al Jazeera: Iraqi cleric pushes for emergency government
Muqtada al-Sadr, leader of powerful Mahdi army, says "new faces" are needed to tackle ISIL and Sunni rebellion.
- 2014/06/26: al Jazeera: Iraq policies mired in contradictions
US, Iranian, and Iraqi officials have been woefully unclear and inconsistent regarding the crisis in Iraq.
- 2014/06/26: al Jazeera: Iraq's Christians seek refuge with Kurds
Armed Kurds are winning favour by protecting religious minorities.
- 2014/06/26: MoA: U.S. "Intelligence": Nothing For Something
- 2014/06/26: Asia Times: Neocons: Alive and itching for war
- 2014/06/25: CBC: Syria launches airstrikes against ISIS fighters near Iraq border
- 2014/06/25: MoA: Obama's Selfmade Foreign Policy Problem
- 2014/06/25: VineyardSaker: June 25th IRAQ SITREP by Mindfriedo
- 2014/06/24: CCurrents: Iraq And Global Humanity: How To Make Peace And Stop Bloodshed?
- 2014/06/25: CSM: Maliki rejects call for unity government as militants attack Iraqi air base/A>
- 2014/06/25: Xinhuanet: Iraq PM vows to push ahead with roadmap of political process
- 2014/06/25: IndiaTimes: Al-Qaida merges with ISIS at Syria-Iraq border town: NGO
Al-Qaida's Syrian offshoot on Wednesday made an oath of loyalty to the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant at a key town on the Iraqi border, a monitor said.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the merger is significant because it opens the way for ISIS to take control of both sides of the border at Albu Kamal in Syria and al-Qaim in Iraq, where the jihadist group has led a major offensive this month.
After months of clashes between the two sides, al-Qaida's official Syrian arm the al-Nusra Front "pledged loyalty to ISIS" in Albu Kamal, said Observatory director Rami Abdel Rahman.
- 2014/06/25: RT: Washington cannot absolve itself from ISIS’ rise
- 2014/06/25: RT: Chaos theory: ISIS & Western foreign policy
- 2014/06/25: RT: ISIS supporters vow to avenge any US airstrike in Iraq
- 2014/06/23: DemNow: "Baghdad is a Frightened City": As ISIS Gains Ground, Iraqi Capital Gripped by Fear & Uncertainty
- 2014/06/24: FAIR: Gas Prices 'Skyrocketing'? You'd Better Duck
- 2014/06/24: FAIR: Time on Iraq War: What Did We Do to Deserve This?
- 2014/06/23: FAIR: Netanyahu Can Disinform on Iran Just as Well as Iraq
- 2014/06/24: CPunch: The Cracking of Iraq
Fears of Partition Grow as Islamists Seize Border Crossing with Jordan and Sweep Towards Baghdad
- 2014/06/25: BBC: Iraq PM Nouri Maliki rejects calls for unity government
- 2014/06/24: BBC: Iraqis use Firechat messaging app to overcome net block
Iraqis have been turning to an app which allows group messages to be sent between phones, without the need for an internet connection, in an effort to circumnavigate government restrictions.
About 40,000 users downloaded Firechat last week, compared with 6,600 over the previous few months, the company says.
The internet has been blocked in some Iraqi provinces, as authorities seek to prevent militants from communicating.
Access to social media sites has also been severely restricted.
Firechat allows users to take part in group chats with between two and 10,000 people, without the need for an internet connection.
Using a technology known as "mesh networking", messages can be sent to people within the immediate vicinity, as long as they too have the app installed. However, discussions are not private, and can be seen by anyone in the area.
The software is available for both Android and iOS devices, and has a range of roughly 70m (230ft). However, if enough people use the app, messages can travel over far greater distances, hopping between intermediary devices in a chain-like effect.
- 2014/06/25: CBC: Iraq's Kurds weigh choices amid country's unrest
- 2014/06/25: CBC: Iraq PM Nouri al-Maliki rejects 'national salvation' government
- 2014/06/24: TruthDig: Iraq in Last Throes as Kurdistan Seeks Independence, Syria & Iran Intervene
- 2014/06/24: TruthDig: Calamity on an ‘Ungrateful Volcano’
- 2014/06/24: TruthDig: It’s Too Late, Mr. Kerry
- 2014/06/25: WSWS: Kurdish region rebuffs US appeals for unity with Iraqi government
- 2014/06/25: al Jazeera: The US and Iraqi Kurds: Good will hunting?
Iraqi Kurds seethe as US tells them to put aside independence dreams - for now.
- 2014/06/25: al Jazeera: Maliki rules out Iraq unity government
Shia PM says such a move would be a "coup" in a direct rebuttal of US efforts to tackle a rising Sunni rebellion.
- 2014/06/25: Asia Times: Obama on Iraq - How to avoid mission creep by M K Bhadrakumar
- 2014/06/25: BBerg: U.S. Intelligence Sees Iraqi Militants Gaining Strength
- 2014/06/25: BBC: US forces arrive in Baghdad to advise Iraqi troops
- 2014/06/24: CBC: Iraq conflict: U.S. forces arrive, UN pushes for new inclusive government
- 2014/06/24: VineyardSaker: June 24th IRAQ SITREP by Mindfriedo
- 2014/06/24: CSM: As Iraqi conflict flares, Syrian rebels regroup in Lebanon
Renewed fighting in Syria’s strategic Qalamoun region north of Damascus threatens to spill across the border into Lebanon, where thousands of Syrian rebels have been holed up in recent months.
An estimated 3,000 to 4,000 rebel fighters are using the rugged mountains east of this town as a staging ground to launch hit-and-run attacks against Syrian regime positions. Their objective is to degrade the Syrian Army and its allies and to divert resources from other battlefronts around Damascus.
- 2014/06/24: RT: Iraq grants US Special Forces 'acceptable assurances' on immunity
- 2014/06/24: RT: Was Iraq War worth the cost? 75% of Americans say no - poll
- 2014/06/24: RT: ISIS in Iraq stinks of CIA/NATO ‘dirty war’ op
- 2014/06/23: AntiWar: Obama Won’t Insist on [SOFA] Legal Immunity for Troops in Iraq -- Not Legal, But Maliki's Promises Good Enough for US
It’s well short of the actual legal immunity the Pentagon wanted before sending troops back into Iraq, but President Obama has backed off such demands today, insisting the personal assurances of Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki are good enough.
- 2014/06/23: AntiWar: ISIS Captures Key Iraq Refinery, Will Let Tribes Run It -- ISIS Say Advance on Baghdad Will Continue
- 2014/06/23: AntiWar: Maliki Resists Growing Calls to Step Down as Iraqi PM -- Maliki Aides Say Iraq Can't Afford a Change Now
- 2014/06/23: AntiWar: Kurdish President: Time to Determine Kurdistan’s Future -- Urges Kurds to 'Seize the Opportunity' for Secession
Massoud Barzani, the President of the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) of Iraq, gave a high profile interview with CNN today talking up the prospect of Kurdish independence, saying "it is the time now for the Kurdistan people to determine their future," and urging Kurds to "seize the opportunity" they have now.
- 2014/06/23: AntiWar: Jordan Beefs Up Iraq Border Defense, Fearing ISIS Incursion -- ISIS Keen to Advance Into Jordan
- 2014/06/23: AntiWar: Security Forces Accused Again of Killing Prisoners; Over 300 killed Across Iraq
- 2014/06/23: AntiWar: Iraqi Police Accused of Killing 70 More Sunni Prisoners -- Government Blames ISIS Crossfire
- 2014/06/24: CPunch: Against the Odds -- Why Bush and Blair Should be Prosecuted for War Crimes
- 2014/06/24: CPunch: US Depleted Uranium’s Toxic Legacy Continues to Endanger Iraqis -- Laid to Waste in Iraq
- 2014/06/24: CPunch: West, Saudi Arabia and Qatar are Responsible for Talibanization of Iraq -- The Rise of ISIS
- 2014/06/24: CPunch: What Did the White House Know? Did Obama Know that ISIS Planned to Invade Iraq?
- 2014/06/23: CPunch: How Strategic an Alliance? ISIS and the Gulf Cooperation Council
- 2014/06/23: CPunch: ISIS at the Gates of Baghdad -- Iraq: the Great Unraveling
- 2014/06/23: CPunch: Bush, Blair, Obama and the Blood of the Innocents -- The Human Rights Crisis in Iraq
- 2014/06/24: BBC: Iraq toll 'more than 1,000 in June'
- 2014/06/24: BBC: Iraq crisis: Kerry in Irbil for talks as fighting rages
- 2014/06/23: BBC: Iraq's neighbours alarmed by jihadists' rapid gains
- 2014/06/24: CBC: Iraq conflict: Kerry in Kurdistan lobbies for government overhaul
- 2014/06/23: TruthDig: Where’s Saddam Hussein When the U.S. Needs Him?
- 2014/06/23: TruthDig: Hard-Liners in Israel and Iran Resist U.S. Pivot to Iran Over ISIS
- 2014/06/24: WSWS: In Baghdad, Kerry threatens US military action
- 2014/06/24: al Jazeera: ISIL rebels control Baiji refinery in Iraq
Sources tell Al Jazeera facility taken by ISIL fighters - reports denied by the Iraqi foreign minister.
- 2014/06/23: al Jazeera: Jordan fears fallout as Iraq crisis worsens
Conflicting reports of capture by armed groups of Karama border crossing heighten security concerns.
- 2014/06/24: Rediff:B: Obama hopes to fix Iraq - and Syria, too by M K Bhadrakumar
- 2014/06/24: Asia Times: Iraq and the emerging regional disorder
- 2014/06/23: BBC: Iraq crisis: Key oil refinery 'seized by rebels'
Sunni rebels in Iraq say they have fully captured the country's main oil refinery at Baiji, north of Baghdad.
- 2014/06/23: VineyardSaker: June 23rd IRAQ SITREP by Mindfriedo
- 2014/06/23: MoA: Where Will ISIS Go Next?
- 2014/06/23: uComics: (cartoon - Rall) Baghdad 2014
- 2014/06/22: CCurrents: Terror In Iraq; Roots And Motivation
- 2014/06/22: CCurrents: Will ISIS Create al-Sham Caliphate And Liberate Palestine?
- 2014/06/22: CSM: Neocons, critics fight over who’s responsible for Iraq mess
- 2014/06/23: Xinhuanet: 71 detainees killed in attack in Iraq
- 2014/06/22: Xinhuanet:World powers deadlocked as Iraq under growing threat of civil war
- 2014/06/22: RT: Kerry: US ‘not responsible’ for crisis in Iraq, Libya
- 2014/06/23: RT: 'Allah chose you': ISIS & other jihadist groups recruit children in Syria for suicide missions
- 2014/06/23: RT: ‘Iraq may become a country of widows & orphans': Refugees in Iraqi Kurdistan afraid for their future
- 2014/06/22: UNZ: Iraq Crisis: As the Sunni Terror Spreads, Its Fighters Look for Wives
- 2014/06/22: DeutscheWelle: The Mahdi Army: Turbans, Kalashnikovs and plans to 'slaughter
- 2014/06/21: UNZ: Back to Baghdad!
- 2014/06/23: AntiWar: Iraqis Are Not ‘Abstractions’
- 2014/06/22: AntiWar: ISIS Seizes Iraq’s Lone Border Crossing With Jordan -- Also Captures Another Syria Crossing in Anbar Province
- 2014/06/22: AntiWar: Bolstered by US Vehicles, ISIS Fights Rivals in Syria’s Aleppo -- Seized Humvees Show Up in Battles Near Turkish Border
- 2014/06/22: AntiWar: Baghdad Arms Sales Soar as Shi’ites Prepare for ISIS Invasion -- Locals Prepare for the Worst as Rebels Advance
- 2014/06/22: AntiWar: Locals Say Iraqi Airstrike Killed Civilians in Tikrit -- Army Dubs All Slain 'Sunni Extremists'
- 2014/06/22: AntiWar: For Kurdish Fighters, Aiding Baghdad Not an Easy Choice -- Secessionist Ambitions Have Many Hoping to Sit the Fight Out
- 2014/06/21: Irib: Qatar recruiting, sending 1,800 African terrorists to Iraq
The ISIL militants fighting against the Iraqi government in the city of Fallujah in Anbar Province in Western Iraq receive a monthly salary of $700 from the governments of Riyadh and Doha, the Iraq Al-Qanoun news website quoted member of Fallujah Liberation Council Maki Al-Issawi as saying.
- 2014/06/23: CPunch: What Megyn Kelly Should Have Asked -- The Dick Cheney Problem
Kelly might have asked Cheney something like this:
"Isn’t it true that Saddam Hussein was a sworn enemy of al-Qaeda, and that the group had no presence in Iraq before the U.S. invasion? A congressional investigation concluded that. And isn’t this group ISIS there now because of the power vacuum and chaos created by your invasion, sir? They say 1700 Iraqi soldiers were executed by ISIS. Don’t you think some of that blood is on your hands, sir? You remember when Colin Powell told Bush, ‘If you break it, you bought it.’ Are you in any position to demand that Obama fix what you broke?"
- 2014/06/22: SST: Iraq diary - 22 June 2014
- 2014/06/21: SST: Iraq Diary - 21 June 2014
- 2014/06/20: SST: "Iraqi forces ready push..." Reuters
- 2014/06/19: SST: Iraq/Afghanistan Diary - 19 June 2014
- 2014/06/17: SST: The Sunni Bedouin tribes are rising
- 2014/06/17: SST: Iraq Diary - 17 June 2014
- 2014/06/16: SST: Iraq Diary - 16 June, 2014
- 2004/07/: SST: Drinking the Kool-Aid
- 2014/06/23: BBC: Iraq crisis: John Kerry in Baghdad as Isis seizes more towns
- 2014/06/23: WSWS: Democracy and the debacle in Iraq
- 2014/06/23: al Jazeera: Kerry in Baghdad to discuss Iraq crisis
US secretary of state due to meet Shia prime minister, Nouri al-Maliki, and top Sunni and Kurdish leaders
- 2014/06/23: al Jazeera: When Iraq was the bastion of a thriving cosmopolitan culture
Iraq must remain a unified cosmopolitan country, as must all its neighbours.
- 2014/06/23: Asia Times: A doomed US-Iran dynamic in Iraq
- 2014/06/23: Asia Times: Neo-cons, hawks fail to gain Iraq traction
- 2014/06/22: Rediff:B: Khamenei speaks up on Iraq by M K Bhadrakumar
- 2014/06/22: MoA: Iraq: The U.S. Has No Role In This
- 2014/06/22: BBC: Sunni militants 'seize Iraq's western border crossings'
The Iraqi government appears to have lost control of its western borders after Sunni militants reportedly captured crossings to Syria and Jordan.
- 2014/06/22: ABC(Au): Iraq crisis: Iran's supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei warns against US intervention
- 2014/06/22: CBC: Iraq conflict: ISIS captures more crossings in seemingly unstoppable offensive
- 2014/06/22: CBC: Iraq conflict: ISIS captures 4 towns in Anbar province [Rutba with Qaim, Rawah, Anah and Rutba earlier]
- 2014/06/22: BBC: Iraq 'struggling' against ISIS militants, say diplomats
- 2014/06/21: CBC: Insurgent gains show how closely Iraq, Syria conflicts are intertwined
Militants of ISIS are carving out an ever-expanding fiefdom along the Iraqi-Syrian border
- 2014/06/21: CBC: Iraq conflict: Insurgents capture 3 more towns [Qaim, Rawah and Anah], move on key dam
Expanded offensive appears to be part of march toward a dam crucial to country's electrical grid
- 2014/06/21: VineyardSaker: June 21th IRAQ SITREP by Mindfriedo
- 2014/06/20: CCurrents: The Democratic Push To Bomb Iraq Again
- 2014/06/20: CCurrents: ISIS And Regime Change In Iraq
- 2014/06/20: CCurrents: Iraqi Hydrocarbon Prize Of U.S. Invasion In Danger
- 2014/06/20: CCurrents: Professor Francis Boyle on Impeachment of Bush And Obama
- 2014/06/20: CCurrents: All Praise Belongs To George Dubya And His Pals!
- 2014/06/21: Xinhuanet: Iraqi Sunni militants seize large part of key border city, al-Qaim
- 2014/06/21: IndiaTimes: Militants seize [Qaim] Iraq border post, kill 30 troops
Sunni militants have seized an Iraqi crossing on the border with Syria after a daylong battle in which they killed some 30 Iraqi troops, security officials said on Saturday.
- 2014/06/21: IndiaTimes: Disciplined Iraq jihadists deft with funds and social media as they advance
- 2014/06/21: RT: ISIS mocks Michelle Obama on Twitter, boasts of Iraq victory
- 2014/06/21: RT: Thousands of Shiite militia parade in Baghdad as militants seize frontier zone
- 2014/06/20: RT: ‘In Iraq the US is getting exactly what it wants’
The US wants no stable force in the Middle East, no opposition, no basis for anything that could become a stable economy, exporting oil and competing with it on the world markets, political analyst Caleb Maupin told RT.
- 2014/06/21: RT: ‘Blair should be lecturing on Iraq from the dock at the International Criminal Court’
It has been heartening to witness the backlash against former British Prime Minister Tony Blair over his attempt to deny any responsibility for the chaos and carnage that has engulfed northern and eastern Iraq in recent days.
- 2014/06/18: DemNow: Will Iraq or Syria Survive? UN Envoy Lakhdar Brahimi on Sectarian War & the Disastrous ’03 Invasion
- 2014/06/18: DemNow: "Colonialism is Inhuman": Diplomat Lakhdar Brahimi on the Lessons of Algeria’s Independence Struggle
- 2014/06/20: DemNow: Rep. Colleen Hanabusa Proposes Ban on U.S. Military Deployment in Iraq Without Congressional Backing
- 2014/06/20: DemNow: Iraq’s Next PM? Ahmed Chalabi, Chief Peddler of False WMDs, Meets U.S. Officials as Maliki Falters
- 2014/06/19: DemNow: As Iraq Teeters, Will U.S. and Iran Join Forces to Shore Up Embattled Shiite Gov’t?
- 2014/06/20: FAIR: Iraq and Your Gas Tank
- 2014/06/20: FAIR: The Iraq Surge 'Worked' All Over Again
- 2014/06/18: FAIR: 'Drawn Back Into War' in Iraq
- 2014/06/19: Consortium: Reviving the ‘Successful Surge’ Myth
The military offensive by Sunni extremists driving into the heart of Iraq has brought the neocons out of the shadows to blame President Obama, by arguing that they had “won” the war before Obama "lost" it, a deeply engrained false narrative of Official Washington, says Robert Parry.
- 2014/06/20: Guardian(UK): Is Obama's new Iraq strategy just a cover for expanding his secret war?
He says 'American forces will not be returning to Iraq' -- but if you read between the lines, covert drones could be flying over troubled waters. Time to play covert Whac-a-Mole
- 2014/06/20: ABC(US): What Happens If US Troops Run Into the Iranian Military in Iraq?
- 2014/06/20: Ha'aretz: In Iraq, 'ghost soldiers' are no match for ISIS fighters
Hurried flight of Iraqi soldiers from battle is more understandable if you consider that a lot of them are only on the roster to pad their commanders' pockets.
- 2014/06/20: DailyStar(Lb): Putin offers Iraq's Maliki 'complete support' against jihadists
- 2014/06/20: AntiWar: White House: ISIS Airstrikes Won’t Be Confined to Iraq -- Obama 'Willing to Go Into Other Countries Where Necessary'
- 2014/06/20: AntiWar: US, ISIS, and Shi’ite Clergy Agree: Maliki Must Go -- Sistani Calls for New, More Inclusive Government
- 2014/06/20: AntiWar: US "Advisers" Waiting for [SOFA] Legal Cover for Iraq Deployment -- Pentagon: Troops Must Have Immunity From Iraqi Law
- 2014/06/20: CPunch: Imperial Looting -- Iraq and the Persistence of American Hegemony
- 2014/06/20: CPunch: Splitting up Iraq -- It’s all for Israel
- 2014/06/20: CPunch: Why US Airstrikes Won't Stop ISIS -- The Propaganda War in Baghdad
- 2014/06/20: CPunch: A Legitimate Rebellion Against a Brutal Dictator -- Keep Calm and Trust Iraqis With Iraq
- 2014/06/20: CPunch: Is the Hydrocarbon Prize Slipping From the Grip of Western Powers? The Battle for Iraq’s Oil Wealth
- 2014/06/20: CPunch: What We Expected? ISIS and Regime Change in Iraq
- 2014/06/20: CPunch: Not What the Neocons Planned -- Will ISIS Create al-Sham Caliphate & Liberate Palestine?
- 2014/06/20: CPunch: Iraq War - Past and Present -- What's Next?
- 2014/06/21: BBC: Thousands of Shia militia loyal to the powerful cleric Moqtada al-Sadr have paraded through the streets of Baghdad, raising sectarian tensions amid continued fighting in areas of Iraq
- 2014/06/21: ABC(Au): Iraq crisis: ISIS militants seize Iraq-Syria border post as Shiite militia parade in Baghdad, Basra
- 2014/06/21: ABC(Au): Iraq crisis: Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani calls for united front to expel ISIS insurgents as fighting continues
- 2014/06/21: TruthDig: As U.S. Pressures Maliki to Resign, Will the Iraqi Government Collapse?
- 2014/06/21: TruthDig: Obama Prepares for Drone War in Iraq
- 2014/06/21: WSWS: German militarism and the US debacle in Iraq
The German bourgeoisie is responding to the debacle of US imperialism in Iraq by intensifying its campaign for militarism and war.
- 2014/06/21: WSWS: Washington escalates intervention in region-wide Middle East war
- 2014/06/21: WSWS: Iraq crisis exacerbates divisions within Iranian elite
- 2014/06/21: WSWS: German interior minister warns of threat of lethal attacks by Islamists
- 2014/06/21: al Jazeera: Iraqi Shia groups rally in show of power
Thousands parade across country after powerful cleric Moqtada al-Sadr calls on supporters to turn out in force.
- 2014/06/21: al Jazeera: Iraqis seek refuge in Kurdish north
Iraqis displaced from southern areas find sanctuary in schools and with family as they escape north.
- 2014/06/21: MoA: Who "Interferes" In Iraq?
- 2014/06/20: BBerg: Maliki’s Past Comes Back to Haunt Iraq as Shiite Parties Revolt
Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki is caught between a raging militant insurgency and fast-evaporating credibility among allies at home and abroad. His critics say he’s paying for his own failures.
- 2014/06/20: VineyardSaker: June 20th IRAQ SITREP by Mindfriedo
- 2014/06/19: CSM: Why America should let Iraq resolve its own crisis
- 2014/06/20: RT: US fired depleted uranium rounds in civilian areas during 2003 Iraq campaign - report
- 2014/06/20: RT: All you need to know about ISIS and what is happening in Iraq
- 2014/06/19: Guardian(UK): Iraq's Maliki: I won't quit as condition of US strikes against ISIS militants
As senators say Iraqi PM's sectarian leadership must end, Maliki calls upon west to give urgent air and intelligence support
- 2014/06/18: Guardian(UK): More US bombs and drones will only escalate Iraq's horror
The Arab world has endured a century of western attempts to control the region. Only Iraqis can shape their future
- 2014/06/19: UNZ: Iraq Crisis: US Precision Attacks Will Hurt the Jihadists But They Won’t Defeat Them
- 2014/06/19: UNZ: Iraq Crisis: In Baghdad, a City Gripped by Fear, News Is Priceless - But ISIS Is Winning the Propaganda War
In the capital, shockwaves from the fall of Mosul can still be felt
- 2014/06/18: MiamiHerald: Senators to Pentagon brass: Did we waste billions in Iraq?
- 2014/06/19: AntiWar: Workers Evacuate From Iraq Refinery as Battle for Control Continues -- Iraqi Military, ISIS Each Hold Parts of Key Oil Refinery
- 2014/06/19: AntiWar: Iraqi PM’s Rivals Aim to Be US-Approved Successor -- Ahmed Chalabi Positioning Himself as 'Moderate' Candidate
- 2014/06/19: AntiWar: Maliki: I Won’t Quit for US Military Aid
- 2014/06/19: AntiWar: US Airmen on Standby to Launch Iraq Air War -- Surveillance Flights Expected to Give Way to Attacks
- 2014/06/19: AntiWar: Obama Sends 300 Troops as ‘Advisers’ to Iraq -- Insists They Won't Be 'Combat Troops'
- 2014/06/19: AntiWar: More Than 150 Killed in Ongoing Iraq Bloodshed
- 2014/06/19: AntiWar: Maliki Frees Shi’ite Prisoners to Fight ISIS -- 2,000 Dangerous Prisoners Released for War
- 2014/06/20: CPunch: American Culpability -- The Mess in Iraq
- 2014/06/20: CPunch: Beyond Maliki -- The Real Culprits in Iraq
- 2014/06/20: CPunch: Supporting Democracy is So Yesterday -- Washington’s Rats are Abandoning Maliki
- 2014/06/20: CPunch: The Perils of Cluelessness and Ineptitude -- The Long March of Folly in Iraq
If you are powerful enough, you don’t have to be smart. This truism explains a lot about American military history.
- 2014/06/19: CPunch: US Rules Out Military Action Until Iraq's Prime Minister Steps Down -- Obama Wants Maliki Out
- 2014/06/19: CPunch: A Premeditated Policy? ISIS: an Expression of Imperialism in Iraq
- 2014/06/20: BBC: Iraq crisis: Fierce battles for Baiji and Tal Afar
- 2014/06/20: ABC(Au): Iraq crisis: Australian troops to be sent to guard embassy in Baghdad
- 2014/06/20: CBC: Iraq militants regrouping in refinery attack
The army officer in charge of protecting a key Iraqi refinery besieged by Sunni militants says he fears insurgents are regrouping to resume their assault on the key facility.
The fight over the Beiji refinery, some 250 kilometres north of Baghdad, began Tuesday.
- 2014/06/20: CBC: The Iraq crisis: How the U.S. made a bad situation worse
- 2014/06/20: WSWS: Obama exploits Iraq crisis as pretext for war against Syria
- 2014/06/19: al Jazeera: US to send 300 military advisers to Iraq
Barack Obama insists combat troops will not return but leaves option of "targeted" action open if situation worsens.
- 2014/06/20: al Jazeera: Iraqi forces hold off rebels at oil refinery
Iraqi forces say they have control of the country's biggest oil refinery, but rebels still hold surrounding town.
- 2014/06/19: al Jazeera: 'We did not expect Mosul to fall in two days'
Those without relatives in Kurdistan are forced to stay in camps set up by Kurdish government and UNHCR.
- 2014/06/20: Asia Times: The Roving Eye - Burn, Men in Black, burn
- 2014/06/20: Asia Times: Who won Iraq?
- 2014/06/20: Asia Times: The impact of ISIS spread
- 2014/06/19: BBC: Iraq crisis: US to send 'military advisers'
- 2014/06/19: CBC: Iraq conflict: U.S. to send as many as 300 military advisers
- 2014/06/19: VineyardSaker: June 19th IRAQ SITREP by Mindfriedo
- 2014/06/19: KurdNet: Syrian Kurdistan: Security forces prevent bomb attack -- 11 ISIS members, including foreigners, killed in Kobanê, Syrian Kurdistan
- 2014/06/19: MoA: U.S. Again Gunning For "Regime Change" In Iraq
- 2014/06/18: CCurrents: Forty Indians Abducted In Mosul As Iraqi Security Forces Fight Back
- 2014/06/18: CCurrents: Sectarian Monster Reawakened: Redrawing The Map Of Iraq, Again
- 2014/06/18: CCurrents: Who Are Iraq’s Sunni Arabs And What Did We Do To Them?
- 2014/06/18: CCurrents: A Brief History of Iraq For Westerners
- 2014/06/19: Xinhuanet: 18 militants killed in battles in Iraq's Diyala
- 2014/06/19: IndiaTimes: China oil giants prepare Iraq evacuation plans: Report
- 2014/06/19: RT: Iraq exodus? Oil majors withdraw staff as terror threat rises
- 2014/06/19: RT: ISIS, Inc. - Jihadists attract investors, fighters with annual reports & glossy PR
- 2014/06/19: RT: Back to Iraq: F-18 Super Hornets patrol desert to track ISIS forces
- 2014/06/17: NewYorker: ISIS’s Savage Strategy in Iraq
- 2014/06/18: WaTimes: Two Iraqi divisions dissolved, Gen. Dempsey tells Senate panel
The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff told lawmakers Wednesday that two entire Iraqi military divisions -- roughly 60,000 troops -- once trained by U.S. soldiers, simply dissolved in northern Iraq last week and in some cases even joined forces with advancing Sunni extremists militants in the nation.
"Two divisions, and part of two, and one national police organization did, in fact, throw down their arms, and in some cases collude with, in some cases simply desert, in northern Iraq," Gen. Martin E. Dempsey said.
- 2014/06/18: NYT: Extremists Attack Iraq’s [Baiji] Oil Refinery
- 2014/06/19: AntiWar: Sectarian Monster Reawakened: Redrawing the Map of Iraq, Again
- 2014/06/18: AntiWar: In Mosul, a Restrained ISIS Vies for Local Support -- Treatment of Locals a Stark Contrast to Other ISIS Cities
- 2014/06/18: AntiWar: Gen. Dempsey: Iraq Formally Asks for US Airstrikes -- White House Mum on Response to Request
- 2014/06/18: AntiWar: US Poised to Strike Iraq, But CIA Has No Idea Who They’re Aiming At
- 2014/06/18: AntiWar: White House Wants Maliki Out as Iraq PM -- Urges Other Parties to Form Coalition Without Maliki
- 2014/06/18: AntiWar: Obama Tells Congress He Doesn’t Need Permission for New Iraq War -- Existing Authorizations Are Still in Place
- 2014/06/18: AntiWar: Iraq Bloodshed: Over 400 Dead, Mostly Militants
- 2014/06/12: EmpireBurlesque: Hell’s Gate: The Iraqi Blitzkrieg and the Cult of Violence
- 2014/06/16: EmpireBurlesque: Back to the Future: A Voice of Sanity on Iraq
- 2014/06/16: Guardian(UK): The sectarian myth of Iraq by Sami Ramadani
We coexisted peacefully for centuries, and need neither brutal dictators nor western intervention
- 2014/06/18: CPunch: The Non-Interventionists Told You So -- Why the US Can’t Repair Iraq
- 2014/06/18: CPunch: As Iraq Breaks Up, the Price of a Bullet Has Tripled -- The Baghdad Fear Index
- 2014/06/19: BBC: Iraq crisis: Iraq forces fight over [Baiji] oil refinery
- 2014/06/18: BBC: US President Barack Obama has told Congressional leaders he does not need lawmakers' approval for any action in Iraq, the top Senate Republican says
- 2014/06/19: ABC(Au): Iraq crisis: Staff evacuated from embattled Baiji oil refinery as Iraq awaits response to airstrike request
- 2014/06/19: CBC: Nouri al-Maliki's divisive rule helped create crisis in Iraq
- 2014/06/19: CBC: Iraq conflict: Militants fly their black flags over key refinery
- 2014/06/19: CBC: Farah Mohamed Shirdon of Calgary fighting with Islamic State of Iraq and Syria
Somali-Canadian in his 20s appears in passport burning video uttering threats against West
- 2014/06/19: CBC: Iraq conflict: 150 Australians fighting in Iraq, Syria
Foreign minister cancels passports on advice of security agency
- 2014/06/18: TruthDig: ISIS Moves on Iraq’s Biggest Oil Refinery [at Baiji]
- 2014/06/18: NewYorker: A Third Iraq War?
- 2014/06/18: TruthDig: ‘A Third Iraq War?’
- 2014/06/18: TruthDig: Heed the Voices For Peace Amid the Tragedy of Iraq
- 2014/06/18: al Jazeera: Iraq asks US for air strikes on ISIL rebels
Iraqi FM asks Obama administration to launch attacks as his country's armed forces struggle to stop fighters' advance.
- 2014/06/18: al Jazeera: Indian nationals in Iraq kidnapped
Foreign ministry confirms 40 construction workers in Mosul have been kidnapped by ISIL fighters in violence-hit country.
- 2014/06/18: BBerg: Half-Price Kurd Oil Threatens Iraq Breakup With Turkish Help
- 2014/06/18: BBerg: Obama Tells Lawmakers Congress Vote Not Needed for Iraq
- 2014/06/19: ABC(Au): Iraq asks US to launch air strikes against ISIS rebels as battle for key oil refinery rages
- 2014/06/19: ABC(Au): Foreign Minister Julie Bishop says 150 Australians have been or are currently overseas fighting with extremists in Iraq and Syria
- 2014/06/18: CBC: Iraq fights militants as foreigners feared seized
- 2014/06/18: VineyardSaker: June 18th IRAQ SITREP by Mindfriedo
- 2014/06/18: ABC(Au): Kurds enter Iraq turmoil
As ISIS forces head towards Baghdad the Kurds have stepped in to fill the place of Iraqi government forces in the fight against the Sunni militants and the Iranian President says his forces are ready to protect Shia sacred sites.
- 2014/06/17: CSM: Iraq crisis: Threat of oil shutoff puts onus on Saudi Arabia
- 2014/06/18: IndiaTimes: CIA facing [intelligence] gaps in Iraq as it hunts for militants
- 2014/06/18: IndiaTimes: Iran will do everything to protect Iraq shrines: President
- 2014/06/18: IndiaTimes: Sunni militants attack Iraq's largest oil refinery in Baiji
- 2014/06/18: RT: ‘Shoot first, justify later’: US trial revisits 2007 Blackwater shootings
- 2014/06/18: RT: ISIS attacks Iraq's largest refinery in Baiji with mortars, gunfire
- 2014/06/17: RT: ‘America can’t be part of any solution to stop the ISIS violence’
- 2014/06/17: RT: Baghdad slams Saudi Arabia for ‘encouraging genocide’ in Iraq
- 2014/06/17: PLNA: Islamists Fail in Taking Baquba But Approach Baghdad
- 2014/06/18: al Jazeera: Iraqi Kurds battle Sunni fighters in Kirkuk
Peshmerga establish control over northern city while ISIL fighters seize control of vital oil refinery in Baiji.
- 2014/06/17: DemNow: Juan Cole: Mass Sunni Uprising Forces Iraq to Confront Sectarian Blowback of 2003 U.S. Invasion
- 2014/06/16: DemNow: As Obama Considers Drone Strikes in Iraq, Could U.S. Military Action Worsen Sectarian Conflict?
- 2014/06/16: Atlantic: How ISIS Games Twitter
- 2014/06/16: CBS: Jihadists on the move in Iraq with weapons, hashtags
- 2014/06/17: SoS: Use of Social Media by ISIS
- 2014/06/17: FAIR: Famous War Correspondent Explains Why He's Still Wrong on Iraq
- 2014/06/16: FAIR: Debating Iraq in 2014: Wrong All Over Again
- 2014/06/17: AntiWar: Iraqi Officials Claim Pledges of Support from Iran -- Iranians Volunteer to Defend Shi'ite Shrines in Iraq
- 2014/06/17: AntiWar: Lip-Service to Unity, But Maliki Continues Centralizing Power -- Accuses Saudis of Backing 'Genocide' in Iraq
- 2014/06/17: AntiWar: Iraqi Police Execute 44 Sunni Prisoners, Flee Baghdad Suburb -- ISIS Forces Hit Outskirts of Giant Suburb of Baqubah
- 2014/06/17: AntiWar: Top Iraqi Commanders Fired After Fleeing Militants -- Iraqi PM Orders One Commander to Face Court Martial
- 2014/06/17: AntiWar: ISIS Secures US-Made Weapons, Ships Tanks to Syria Front -- Officials: Probable ISIS Has Stinger Missiles
- 2014/06/17: AntiWar: Obama Eyes Long Campaign of ‘Selective’ Airstrikes for Iraq -- Would Model Strikes on Ongoing Yemen Drone War
- 2014/06/17: AntiWar: Poll: Americans Overwhelming Oppose A New US War in Iraq -- Three Quarters of Americans Oppose Sending Combat Troops
- 2014/06/17: AntiWar: Over 500 Killed in Iraq Carnage
- 2014/06/16: HuffPo: Stop Calling the Iraq War a 'Mistake' by Dennis J. Kucinich
As Iraq descends into chaos again, more than a decade after "Mission Accomplished," media commentators and politicians have mostly agreed upon calling the war a "mistake." But the "mistake" rhetoric is the language of denial, not contrition: it minimizes the Iraq War's disastrous consequences, removes blame, and deprives Americans of any chance to learn from our generation's foreign policy disaster. The Iraq War was not a "mistake" -- it resulted from calculated deception. The painful, unvarnished fact is that we were lied to. Now is the time to have the willingness to say that.
In fact, the truth about Iraq was widely available, but it was ignored. There were no WMD. Saddam Hussein had nothing to do with 9/11. The war wasn't about liberating the Iraqi people. I said this in Congress in 2002. Millions of people who marched in America in protest of the war knew the truth, but were maligned by members of both parties for opposing the president in a time of war -- and even leveled with the spurious charge of "not supporting the troops."
- 2014/06/18: AntiWar: Iraq: Will the Neocons Get Away With It Again? They lied us into war, and now they're back on television
- 2014/06/17: NatInt: Syria and Iraq: Different Countries, Same War
- 2014/06/17: UNZ: Iraq Crisis: Fears Grow That Baghdad Could be Engulfed in Sectarian Violence
Both sides are using well-publicised massacres to encourage the demographic changes they want
- 2014/06/17: McClatchyDC: Congress to Obama: No consensus from us on Iraq
- 2014/06/17: Reuters: ISIL car bomb kills rival rebels in Syria: monitoring group
- 2014/06/17: Reuters: Iraqi Islamists' gains pose challenge to al Qaeda leader [Ayman al-Zawahri]
- 2014/06/17: al Awsat: There is a "tribal revolution" in Iraq: Anbar tribal chief
- 2014/06/18: Stuff(NZ): Baghdad fears violence after imam's death
Iraq's capital has lurched closer to a renewed cycle of sectarian slaughter after the bodies of a Sunni cleric and his aides, allegedly kidnapped by Shi'ite militiamen, were found in a Baghdad morgue.
- 2014/06/17: Reuters: U.S. says open to further talks with Iran about Iraq
- 2014/06/16: Pando: The War Nerd: Here’s everything you need to know about "too extreme for Al Qaeda" I.S.I.S.
- 2014/06/18: CfC: The coming partition of Iraq
- 2014/06/18: CPunch: For Once, Not a CIA Plot? The Isis Fiasco; It’s Really an Attack on Iran
- 2014/06/18: CPunch: Redrawing the Map of Iraq, Again -- Sectarian Monster Reawakened
- 2014/06/17: CPunch: The Brutal Logic of a Self-Seeking Empire
Is Open-Ended Chaos the Desired US-Israeli Aim in the Middle East?
- 2014/06/17: CPunch: The Rise of the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant -- Who is Behind ISIS?
- 2014/06/17: CPunch: A Diplomatic Alternative -- Iraq: What to Do Now?
- 2014/06/17: DerSpiegel: A Country Implodes: ISIS Pushes Iraq to the Brink
The terror group ISIS has occupied vast portions of Syria and Iraq in the hopes of establishing a caliphate. The jihadists' success lays bare Iraq's disintegration and could ignite yet another civil war between Shiites and Sunnis in the country.
- 2014/06/18: BBC: Sunni militants invade Iraq's biggest oil refinery
Islamist-led militants have invaded Iraq's biggest oil refinery, after pounding it with mortars and machine guns from two directions.
An official quoted by Reuters said the militants now controlled 75% of the Baiji refinery, 210km (130 miles) north of Baghdad.
- 2014/06/18: BBC: Iraq crisis: Ex-minister warns of 'mounting' threat to UK
- 2014/06/17: BBC: Iraq's central government suffers mortal blow
- 2014/06/16: BBC: Iraq blocks Facebook and Twitter in bid to restrict ISIS
- 2014/06/18: ABC(Au): Iraq crisis: Sunni militants launch assault on major Baiji oil refinery
- 2014/06/18: CBC: ISIS militants just the latest spark to ignite Iraq's Muslim divide
Iraq's Kurds are also thinking hard about the future of the country, too
- 2014/06/18: CBC: Iraq conflict: Militants lay siege to Iraq oil refinery
Official says ISIS fighters attacked Beiji refinery late Tuesday night
Islamic militants laid siege to Iraq's largest oil refinery Wednesday, threatening a facility key to the country's domestic supplies as part of their ongoing lightning offensive, a top security official said.
The attack comes as militants have seized wide swaths of territory in Iraq — and as the spectre of the sectarian warfare that nearly tore the country apart and the doubts that followed the 2003 U.S.-led invasion now haunt those trying to decide how to respond.
- 2014/06/18: TruthDig: Up Close and Personal With George W. Bush’s Horrifying Legacy
- 2014/06/14: Creekside: I don't think you're supposed to say that out loud
- 2014/06/18: WSWS: Facing a debacle in Iraq, the US turns for help to Iran
- 2014/06/18: WSWS: German media clamours for a new Iraq war
- 2014/06/18: WSWS: Iraq’s civil war provokes UK political crisis
- 2014/06/18: WSWS: Obama orders nearly 300 US troops to Iraq
- 2014/06/17: al Jazeera: Iraq in turmoil: The rise of 'Syraq'
Colonial politics may have led to the problem, but current crisis was sparked by Iraq government's poor policy choices.
- 2014/06/17: al Jazeera: Kurdish-Turkmen tension on the rise in Kirkuk
Kirkuk's Turkmen vow to take up arms if the city is not returned to Iraqi central government.
- 2014/06/17: al Jazeera: Iraq rebels battle for Baquba city
Shia gunmen kill dozens of Sunni prisoners as rebels tried to break them out of police cells in the city.
- 2014/06/17: al Jazeera: Jordan releases anti-ISIL Salafi leader
Salafi leader Maqdesi released amid growing concerns about the worsening security situation in Iraq.
- 2014/06/17: CPunch: ISIS Seeks Its Throne -- Iraq’s Night is Long
- 2014/06/17: Rediff:B: Iran won’t bite American bullet in Iraq by M K Bhadrakumar
- 2014/06/18: Asia Times: Iraq pays price of US sectarian meddling
- 2014/06/17: BBerg: Kurd Oil Supply Seen Growing as Region Grabs Territory
- 2014/06/17: BBerg: Brent Crude Rises as Iraq Fighting Spreads in North
- 2014/06/17: BBC: Iraq conflict: PM fires senior officers over rebel advance
- 2014/06/17: CBC: Iraq conflict: Signs emerge of reprisal sectarian killings
- 2014/06/17: VineyardSaker: June 17th IRAQ SITREP by Mindfriedo
- 2014/06/17: MoA: No, Baghdad Did Not Collapse
- 2014/06/17: uComics: (cartoon - Auth) Iraqi Freedom
- 2014/06/17: ABC(Au): Iraq crisis: ISIS militants repelled after taking control of parts of Baquba, near Baghdad
- 2014/06/16: CSM: Iraq crisis: Oil-rich Kurdistan capitalizes on chaos
- 2014/06/17: Xinhuanet: News Analysis: Iraq on a par with Syria in fighting terrorism
- 2014/06/17: Xinhuanet: Iraqi forces take back border city in western Anbar province
- 2014/06/17: IndiaTimes: US deploys extra troops, mulls air strikes in Iraq as clashes approach Baghdad
- 2014/06/17: IndiaTimes: US, Iran hold brief talks on Iraq crisis in Vienna
- 2014/06/17: IndiaTimes: We may strike Iraq jihadists, ally with foe Iran, US says
- 2014/06/17: RT: Gruesome ISIS atrocities: Video shows Iraqi soldiers insulted, then executed (graphic)
- RUDAW: Kurdistan
- 2014/06/16: RUDAW: ISIS Proposes Truce to Kurdish Peshmerga South of Kirkuk
- 2014/06/16: FDL: Why America Can Never Win in Iraq
- 2014/06/16: Forbes: U.S. Meddling Inflames Middle East Conflicts: America Should Stop Trying To Fix Iraq, Syria, And Everywhere Else
- 2014/06/15: NatInt: America's Middle East Delusions
The rise of ISIS in Iraq and Syria underscores the failure of America’s political class to devise an effective and sustainable strategy for the country after 9/11.
- 2014/06/16: UNZ: Iraq Crisis: In Baghdad, the Fear Index Is the Price of a Bullet and It Has Tripled
Many have already fled. Those left behind are preparing for battle
- 2014/06/16: UNZ: Who Are ISIS? the Rise of the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant
The group, led since 2010 by Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, now controls vast swathes of land across Iraq and Syria
- 2014/06/16: CBS: Iraqi helicopter shot down in clash with militants, officials say
- 2014/06/16: WaTimes: Pentagon, State Dept. at odds over coordinating with Iran on Iraq crisis
- 2014/06/16: MiamiHerald: Qatari: U.S. intervention in Iraq would be seen as war on Sunni Arabs
- 2014/06/17: AntiWar: Their War, Not Ours [Buchanan]
- 2014/06/16: AntiWar: ISIS Proposes Truce With Iraqi Kurds as Fighting Grows
Kurdish Peshmerga Reluctant to Fight Baghdad's Battles
- 2014/06/16: AntiWar: Pentagon Denies Plan to Coordinate Iraq Strikes With Iran -- Security Talks With Iran May Still Go Ahead
- 2014/06/16: AntiWar: Westerners in ISIS a Long-Term Security Threat -- Group Has Attracted Large Number of US, EU Members
- 2014/06/16: AntiWar: US Marines, Warships Head Toward Iraq -- US Adds 275 Marines to Defense of Embassy
- 2014/06/16: AntiWar: Obama Poised to Send Special Forces to Iraq -- White House Insists They Won't Count as 'Combat Troops'
- 2014/06/16: AntiWar: Israel Warns US Against Cooperating With Iran on Iraq -- Steinitz: Cooperation Would 'Soften' US Position on Iran
- 2014/06/16: AntiWar: Over 300 Killed Across Iraq As US Sends Troops
- 2014/06/16: CPunch: US Lines Up Iran Talks to Halt ISIS -- Mass Executions Push Iraq Towards Sectarian War
- 2014/06/16: CPunch: The Web of Illusion -- Obama and the Iraqi Gordian Knot
- 2014/06/17: BBC: Iraq conflict: Clashes on approaches to Baghdad
- 2014/06/16: BBC: Iraq crisis poses military dilemma for US
- 2014/06/16: TruthDig: 7 Myths about the Radical Sunni Advance in Iraq
- 2014/06/16: TruthDig: Meet Zalmay Khalilzad, ‘A Primary Architect of Iraq’s Current Misery’
- 2014/06/17: WSWS: The US media and the debacle in Iraq
- 2014/06/17: WSWS: Washington seeks alliance with Tehran as civil war in Iraq intensifies
- 2014/06/17: WSWS: Ex-Australian general indicts 2003 invasion for Iraq civil war
In an interview with the Australian Broadcasting Corporation on Monday, retired Major General John Cantwell denounced the attempts by figures such as former British Prime Minister Tony Blair to deny that the 2003 invasion of Iraq is directly responsible for the sectarian civil war now devastating the country and destabilising the entire Middle East.
- 2014/06/16: al Jazeera: Iran and Turkey: Unlikely duo amid regional turmoil
Cooperation between Turkey and Iran is critical for the resolution of persisting conflicts in the Middle East.
- 2014/06/16: al Jazeera: US to send troops to Iraq to secure embassy
Obama's announcement follows deployment of warships to the Gulf in response to advances by the armed group ISIL.
- 2014/06/16: al Jazeera: UN condemns ISIL executions in Iraq
UN rights chief says ISIL has "almost certainly" committed war crimes in Iraq after pictures released of executions.
- Kurd Net
- 2014/06/17: RFERL: Obama Sending 275 Troops To Protect U.S. Embassy In Iraq
- 2014/06/17: Asia Times: Iraqi quagmire calls the US back
- 2014/06/16: BBerg: Kurds Grab Fourth-Largest Iraq Oilfield Amid ISIL Advance
Kurdish troops were defending Iraq’s fourth-biggest oilfield against Islamist militants after deploying outside their semi-autonomous region in the country’s north to seize the deposit claimed by the central government.
More than 100,000 Kurdish fighters, known as peshmergas, are guarding a “front line” from Iraq’s eastern border with Iran to the northern town of Fishkabur near Turkey, Jabbar Yawar, Peshmerga Ministry secretary-general, said yesterday in an interview in Erbil, the Kurdish region’s capital. They now occupy areas around the contested city of Kirkuk where BP Plc has been in talks with Iraq’s government to help reverse declining output at the oilfield discovered in 1927.
- 2014/06/17: BBC: Iraq conflict: Militants 'may have committed war crimes', says UN
- 2014/06/17: ABC(Au): Iraq crisis: Barack Obama sends  'combat-equipped' troops to protect [Baghdad] embassy as ISIS militants make more gains [pix]
- 2014/06/16: CBC: Iraq conflict: ISIS extends grip in north as U.S., Iran talk
- 2014/06/16: CBC: Iraq conflict: ISIS capture key Iraqi city [Tal Afar] near Syria border
- 2014/06/16: CNN: 'Foreign Legion' in Iraq and Syria may bring jihad to West
ISIS militants have taken control of towns in Iraq and Syria - The group includes jihadists who have traveled from Europe and elsewhere to fight -
Citizens from France, Germany, Denmark, U.S. have carried out bombings in Iraq and Syria - Security experts are concerned that Western militants may return home to cause chaos
- 2014/06/16: CSM: ISIS seizes another Iraqi city amid claims it massacred Iraqi troops
- 2014/06/15: Xinhuanet: Iraqi security forces kill over 279 militants in 24 hours: spokesman
- 2014/06/16: Xinhuanet: Militants seize part of embattled [Tal Afar] city in northern Iraq
- 2014/06/16: IndiaTimes: Iran warns against military intervention in Iraq
- 2014/06/16: IndiaTimes: Saudi Arabia says rejects foreign intervention in Iraq
- 2014/06/16: IndiaTimes: Iraqi Christians flee homes amid militant push
- 2014/06/16: RT: US preparing for direct dialogue with Iran over ISIS threat in Iraq - report
- 2014/06/16: RT: ISIS 'execute' 1,700 Iraqi soldiers, post gruesome pictures (graphic)
- 2014/06/16: RT: Sunni militants seize Tal Afar city of 200k citizens enlarging control of Iraq
- 2014/06/16: RT: ‘Blair has finally gone mad’: London mayor ridicules ex-PM over Iraq
- 2014/06/16: RT: ISIS 'greatest national security threat since 9/11,' lawmakers warn
- 2014/06/16: RT: ‘Black flag of jihad will fly over London’: Alarm over UK-born Iraq fighters' threat
- 2014/06/15: UNZ: Iraq Crisis: ISIS Forces Kill Dozens of Soldiers in 'mass Execution' as Country Slides Towards Sectarian War
Baghdad, a city now in fear of mass killings, as photographs appear to show atrocities carried out by ISIS forces
- 2014/06/14: DeutscheWelle: Tensions rise in Baghdad as ISIS advances
- 2014/06/16: AntiWar: Haven’t We Already Done Enough Damage in Iraq? by Rep. Ron Paul
- 2014/06/15: AntiWar: Kurdish Forces Seize Northern Iraq-Syria Border Crossing -- Rabia Gives Syrian Kurds a Connection to Iraqi Kurdistan
- 2014/06/15: AntiWar: Iraq, Syria Coordinate Air Strikes Against ISIS -- Syria Focusing on ISIS Strongholds in Raqqa
- 2014/06/15: AntiWar: US Begins Partial Evacuation of Baghdad Embassy -- Pentagon Sends More Troops to Secure Embassy Grounds
- 2014/06/15: AntiWar: Obama Pushes Iraq for Reforms, But Prepares Air Strikes
- 2014/06/15: AntiWar: Iraq Air Strikes Drive Civilians Into Kurdish Territory -- Peshmerga Reports Large Surge of Refugees Over the Weekend
- 2014/06/15: AntiWar: ISIS Forces Seize NW Iraq City of Tal Afar -- Key Turkomen City Near Mosul Overrun
- 2014/06/15: AntiWar: US Considering Talks With Iran on Iraq Security -- Iran Proposed Coordinating Aid to Maliki Govt
- 2014/06/14: AntiWar: Iraq Claims ‘Victories,’ But Loses Largest Refinery to al-Qaeda -- Refinery Still Operating Under al-Qaeda Control
- 2014/06/16: CPunch: Iraq, ISIS and Follies of War -- Death of a Mutant Child
- 2014/06/16: DailyStar(Lb): Hezbollah sets up operations room to cope with Iraq fallout
- 2014/06/16: DailyStar(Lb): In Iraq, the United States is defending the indefensible
- 2014/06/16: DailyStar(Lb): ISIS’ Iraq offensive could trigger Hezbollah to fill gap left in Syria
- 2014/06/15: DailyStar(Lb): Syria pounds ISIS bases in coordination with Iraq
- 2014/06/16: DailyStar(Lb): Syrian regime forces retake Kasab, pound ISIS bases
- 2014/06/13: Independent(UK): Robert Fisk: The old partition of the Middle East is dead. I dread to think what will follow
"Sykes-Picot is dead," Walid Jumblatt roared at me last night -- and he may well be right.
The Lebanese Druze leader -- who fought in a 15-year civil war that redrew the map of Lebanon -- believes that the new battles for Sunni Muslim jihadi control of northern and eastern Syria and western Iraq have finally destroyed the post-World War Anglo-French conspiracy, hatched by Mark Sykes and François Picot, which divided up the old Ottoman Middle East into Arab statelets controlled by the West.
- 2014/06/15: SST: Noncombatant Evacuation Operation [NEO] Starts In Baghdad - By Walrus
- 2014/06/15: SST: Syrian forces clear Alawi homeland of rebels, bomb ISIS armor
- 2014/06/15: SST: ISIS + Former Iraqi military people + Sunni Bedouin tribes = Rebel Army in Iraq
- 2014/06/15: SST: "No end of a lesson -- Unlearned" - Polk
- 2014/06/14: SST: "The Bush Invasion of 2003: Sabotaging Democracy
- 2014/06/16: BBC: Iraq conflict: Militants 'seize' city of Tal Afar
- 2014/06/16: BBC: Boris Johnson: Tony Blair's Iraq comments 'unhinged'
"I can understand that he feels very, very shattered and guilty... but my general message would be to put a sock in it really. Paper bag on head time is my advice"
Boris Johnson has described Tony Blair's argument that the violent insurgency in Iraq has nothing to do with the 2003 invasion as "unhinged".
- 2014/06/16: BBC: Iraq conflict: US considers talks with Iran
- 2014/06/16: BBC: No UK military intervention in Iraq conflict says [Foreign Secretary, William] Hague
- 2014/06/16: BBC: Spain arrests eight in 'ISIS cell'
Spanish police say they have detained eight people on suspicion of recruiting militants to fight in Syria and Iraq.
They suspect the cell of trying to send jihadists to join the militant group ISIS - the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant.
- 2014/06/16: CBC: ISIS jihadis not to be underestimated, Syrian commanders warn Iraq -- The al-Qaeda affiliated ISIS is 'an elite army' with advanced weapons
- 2014/06/15: SyrianP: Map of Baghdad and surrounding areas in Iraq
- 2014/06/14: SyrianPerspective: The inner core of ISIS - The invasive species
- 2014/06/16: WSWS: Obama responds to Iraq debacle with military escalation
- 2014/06/16: WSWS: Civil war escalates in Iraq amid reports of sectarian massacres
- 2014/06/16: al Jazeera: Analysis: The Kurds take Kirkuk, now what?
Debate rages on whether the Kurds are fighting for Iraq or fighting for a piece of it.
- 2014/06/16: al Jazeera: Photos released of Iraq 'mass execution'
Pictures posted online purport to show scores of captured government soldiers shot dead by ISIL fighters.
- 2014/06/15: al Jazeera: The fierce ambition of ISIL's Baghdadi
Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi has risen from anonymity to become the feared leader of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.
- 2014/06/16: Asia Times: Obama broods over an Iraqi odyssey by M K Bhadrakumar
- 2014/06/15: BBerg: Jihadis Recruitment Drive in Riyadh Revives Biggest Saudi Threat
- 2014/06/15: CDreams: The Western-Imposed Partition of the Middle East Is Dead
- 2014/06/15: CDreams: The Almighty Mess in Iraq (Courtesy of Bush & Cheney)
- 2014/06/15: CDreams: Unthinkable Thoughts in the Debate About ISIS in Iraq
- 2014/06/16: BBC: Iraq conflict: Images purport to show 'massacre' by militants
- 2014/06/16: ABC(Au): Iraq crisis: ISIS insurgents publish photos of alleged mass execution in Tikrit, as government continues counter-attack
- 2014/06/15: CBC: Iraqi conflict: Militants say they have executed hundreds of soldiers
- 2014/06/15: CCurrents: Hawks Push For Iraq War, The Rule Of Law Prevents It
- 2014/06/15: CCurrents: Letter From Baghdad In The Growing Shadow Of War
- 2014/06/14: National(AE): A historic opportunity for Kurds in Iraq chaos
- 2014/06/13: al Monitor: Khamenei rep blames Saudi Arabia, Qatar for Iraq insurgents
The representative of Iran’s supreme leader to the Revolutionary Guard Corps blamed Saudi Arabia and Qatar's failed policies in Syria as the reason behind the surge of the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS) in Iraq.
- 2014/06/15: al Jazeera: Iraq and the Western military meddlers
After decade of turmoil caused by Iraq invasion, interventionists call for more airstrikes to solve current crisis.
It seems there is no limit to an interventionist's capacity for self-delusion over the Middle East. As Iraqis are caught in an escalating crisis of utter terror, turmoil and devastation unleashed as a direct consequence of the US-led invasion of 2003, some neo-cons and unabashed British Blairites are now suggesting that more US-led military action might help. In other words - and to paraphrase Michael Franti's Spearhead - having bombed Iraq into pieces, the idea is that we can now somehow bomb it back into peace.
- 2014/06/14: BBC: Iraq conflict: US sends warship to the Gulf
- 2014/06/14: flc: Lebanese Army moves against Jabhat al Nusra
- 2014/06/14: flc: "State Department officials are in fact in dialogue with their Iranian counterparts about how to turn back ISIS"
- 2014/06/14: flc: 'The potential for de facto coöperation between the United States & Iran'
- 2014/06/13: flc: 'A combined Iraqi-Iranian force has now taken control of 85% of the city'
- 2014/06/14: VoR: Convoy attack kills 8 guards in Iraq - senior Shiite cleric
- 2014/06/14: CNN: U.S. sends aircraft carrier to Persian Gulf
Radical Shiite cleric calls for a unified military parade all across Iraq - Iraqi military claims of victories conflicts with security officials' analysis -
USS Bush is sent to Persian Gulf to give Obama "additional flexibility" - Iraqi army commander tells how his battalion abandoned its post when ISIS advanced
- 2014/06/13: CSM: Iraq turmoil has one winner: the Kurds
- 2014/06/13: Xinhuanet: Iraq in abyss of confronting more bloody clashes
- 2014/06/14: IndiaTimes: Hassan Rouhani says ready to aid Iraq, 'can think' of role with US
- 2014/06/14: RT: 'Multiple groups may be joining ISIS jihadists in fight against Iraqi govt'
- 2014/06/13: RT: Obama refuses to send troops to Iraq, but won’t rule out air strikes
- 2014/06/13: DemNow: Report from Iraq: U.S. Invasion in 2003 Helped Set Path for Crisis Pulling Nation Apart
- 2014/06/12: DemNow: Iraq in Crisis: Militant Advance Sparks Mass Displacement as "Failed" U.S. Experiment Disintegrates
- 2014/06/12: NatInt: Panic over the ISIS Offensive in Iraq: "Everyone should take a deep breath."
- 2014/06/13: Reuters: Alarmed by Iraq, Iran open to shared role with U.S. - Iran official
- 2014/06/13: ABC(US): Loss of Mosul Threatens Iraqi PM's Hold on Power -- Loss of territory to militants threatens al-Maliki's hold on power in Iraq
- 2014/06/13: NYT: Reprisal Killings Reported in Iraq’s Militant-Held Areas
- 2014/06/13: Reuters: Iraq's implosion could redraw Middle East boundaries
- 2014/06/13: AntiWar: Iranian General In Charge of Defense of Baghdad as al-Qaeda Nears -- Iran Open to Working With US in Defense of Maliki Govt
- 2014/06/13: AntiWar: Obama: ‘US Will Do Its Part’ In Iraq -- Will Decide on New Military Action in Days to Come
- 2014/06/13: AntiWar: Iraq’s Grand Ayatollah Sistani Issues Call to Arms to Fight al-Qaeda -- First Shi'ite Volunteeers Arrive in Samarra After Military Flees
- 2014/06/13: CPunch: Why the New Iraq War Could be More Savage Than the Last
- 2014/06/13: CPunch: The Latest Regional Slugfest -- On to Baghdad
- 2014/06/12: SST: The Douris and the Naqshbandi army
- 2014/06/11: SST: "Iraq crisis: Militants seize Tikrit after taking Mosul" BBC
- 2014/06/13: TruthDig: As Iraq Implodes, Hawks Still Have No Plan—Except ‘Blame Obama’
- 2014/06/13: TruthDig: What Can We Do in Iraq? Nothing!
- 2014/06/14: WSWS: The debacle in Iraq
The events that have unfolded in Iraq over the past several days represent the greatest debacle for US imperialism since the fall of Saigon in 1975 sent the last Americans scurrying onto helicopters atop the embassy roof.
- 2014/06/13: WSWS: Iraq crisis threatens to ignite regional war
- 2014/06/14: al Jazeera: The view from Kurdistan: Divide Iraq in order to save it
The capture of Mosul represents the failure of efforts to force three distinct communities to form a single state.
- 2014/06/14: al Jazeera: Iraq cleric issues call to arms against ISIL
Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani calls on volunteers to fight armed group battling government forces close to Baghdad.
- 2014/06/13: CDreams: Iraq Crisis: Created by Bush & Blair and Bankrolled by Saudi Arabia
- 2014/06/13: BBC: US President Barack Obama has said he will take several days to decide what action to take over Iraq, but that no US troops will be deployed there
- 2014/06/13: CBC: Iraqi conflict: Shia cleric calls on worshippers to repel Sunni militants
- 2014/06/13: flc: IRGC' Suleimani in Baghdad?
- 2014/06/13: flc: FP: 'The carnage in Iraq is a Saudi dream come true'
- 2014/06/13: flc: "Well, we were going to wage jihad to establish an Islamic State in Syria and Iraq, but the U.S. is arming moderates so I guess we’ll stay home."
- 2014/06/13: MoA: Iraq's "World Of Hurt"
- 2014/06/12: FP: First Crimea, now Iraq. Why does America's $50 billion intelligence community keep getting taken by surprise?
- 2014/06/13: ABC(Au): Iraq crisis: Senior Shiite cleric calls on Iraqis to take up arms as ISIS militants push closer to Baghdad
- 2014/06/12: CCurrents: Sunni Militant Army Vows To March On Baghdad
- 2014/06/12: WaPo: Iraq disintegrating as insurgents advance; Kurds seize Kirkuk
- 2014/06/12: UNZ: Iraq Crisis: Baghdad Prepares for the Worst as Islamist Militants Vow to Capture the City
Collapse of Shia-dominated regime could provoke Iranian intervention
- 2014/06/12: McClatchyDC: Is this the end of Iraq as we know it? Government powerless against Islamists
- 2014/06/13: UNZ: Iraq Crisis: Capture of Mosul Ushers in the Birth of a Sunni Caliphate
The balance of power between Iraq’s Sunni, Kurdish and Shia communities has now changed
- 2014/06/13: AntiWar: Iraq War III? Will Obama try to re-fight the Iraq war?
- 2014/06/12: AntiWar: As Iraq Loses Ground to al-Qaeda, the Buck Stops at Maliki -- MPs Boycott Parliament, Oppose Giving PM 'Emergency Powers'
- 2014/06/12: AntiWar: Iraqi Kurds Seize Kirkuk After Troops Fled -- Peshmerga in 'Full Control' of City as al-Qaeda Advances
- 2014/06/12: AntiWar: US Readies Air Strikes Against al-Qaeda in Iraq -- Obama Won't Rule Out Anything in Aiding Maliki Govt
- 2014/06/12: AntiWar: Obama, Warming to Intervention, Declares Iraq ‘Needs More Help’
- 2014/06/12: AntiWar: Iran Deploys Troops to Guard Baghdad, Fight al-Qaeda -- Rouhani Vows Aid Against Iraqi Terrorists
- 2014/06/12: AntiWar: Territory Lost, Iraq Withdraws Troops From Syria Border -- Both Sides of Border Are al-Qaeda's Now Anyhow
- 2014/06/12: AntiWar: Chaos Reigns In Iraq As At Least 120 Are Known Killed, 30 Wounded
- 2014/06/12: CSM: Oil prices rise as Iraq crisis threatens OPEC oil balance
- 2014/06/13: Xinhuanet: Iraqi security forces repel insurgents attacks in Diyala, as militants advance to Baghdad
- 2014/06/13: IndiaTimes: US contractors in Iraq relocated due to security concerns
- 2014/06/13: IndiaTimes: Insurgents take two more Iraqi towns, Obama threatens air strikes
- 2014/06/13: IndiaTimes: Iraqi Kurds take Kirkuk, Sunni rebels surge towards Baghdad
- 2014/06/13: RT: Oil prices at nine-month high on heels of Iraq violence
- 2014/06/12: RT: Al-Qaeda offshoot ISIL in Iraq offensive - Live Updates
- 2014/06/12: CPunch: The Latest Debacle in Iraq -- Black Flags Over Mosul
- 2014/06/13: BBC: Iraq conflict: ISIS militants seize new towns
Islamist militants in Iraq have seized two new towns, widening their control after threatening to move on Baghdad.
The Sunni-led Islamists advanced into Saadiya and Jalawla in the Diyala province and surrounding areas as security forces abandoned their posts.
- 2014/06/13: BBC: Iraq conflict sparks oil price rise
Oil prices have risen to a nine-month high amid concerns that developments in Iraq may affect global supplies.
Brent crude futures rose 3% to $113.27 per barrel, while US crude gained more than 2% to $106.71, the highest reading for both since September
- 2014/06/13: CBC: Iraqi attacks: Fear, sectarianism behind Iraq army collapse
- 2014/06/12: al Jazeera: ISIL vows to march on Iraq's capital
Iraq's parliament fails to reach agreement on state of emergency despite threat of attack on Baghdad.
- 2014/06/12: BBC: Iraqi Kurds 'fully control Kirkuk' as army flees
Iraqi Kurdish forces say they have taken full control of the northern oil city of Kirkuk as the army flees before an Islamist offensive nearby.
"The whole of Kirkuk has fallen into the hands of peshmerga," Kurdish spokesman Jabbar Yawar told Reuters. "No Iraq army remains in Kirkuk now."
- 2014/06/12: BBerg: Iraq Fighters Finding Support in Seized Towns Raises Attack Risk
- 2014/06/12: al Jazeera: Fall of Mosul: What's at stake for the Kurds?
Emboldened Iraqi Kurds may find momentum for greater gains on the back of ISIL's rapid expansion in Iraq.
- 2014/06/12: al Jazeera: Obama warns of US action against ISIL in Iraq
President says Washington considers "all options" to help Iraq battle fighters who seized control of major cities.
- 2014/06/12: al Jazeera: Iraq: Should neighbours be worried?
As the situation in Iraq deteriorates, its neighbours are watching carefully.
- 2014/06/12: al Jazeera: Iraq, ISIL and the region's choices
Even if ISIL is halted before it reaches Baghdad, it has left virtually every regional actor scrambling for a response.
- 2014/06/12: TRP: The Bottomless Iraq Sinkhole
- 2014/06/12: RT: Obama: 'I don't rule out anything' on Iraq
- 2014/06/12: BBC: Iraq conflict: All options open to fight insurgents - Obama
- 2014/06/12: ABC(Au): ISIS explained: Islamic State of Iraq and Syria poised to march on Baghdad
- 2014/06/12: ABC(Au): Barack Obama considers action as ISIS militants continue their push toward Baghdad
- 2014/06/12: CBC: Iraqi attacks: U.S. will not rule out intervention
Fears rise in Baghdad over Shia-led government's inability to slow insurgent assaults
- 2014/06/12: InformedComment: Iraq: Looming War of Shiite, Kurdish, Extremist-Sunni Militias
- 2014/06/12: flc: 'Maliki's army is in a real "world of hurt."'
- 2014/06/12: CNN: ISIS: The first terror group to build an Islamic State?
Suppression of Sunni dissent was the best recruiting sergeant ISI has - Al Baghdadi even served fours years in a U.S. prison camp -
It uses cash reserves from banks, equipment seized from military - It wants to establish an Islamic caliphate stretching across the region
- 2014/06/12: CNN: ISIS militants press forward, threaten to seize more Iraqi cities as soldiers bolt
Iraqi foreign minister says takeover of Mosul is a "major security setback" - Iraqi parliament fails to hold vote on declaring a state of emergency -
White House is looking at range of options; current focus is on building Iraqi capacity - Iraqi army is now in full control of city of Tikrit, state media reports
- 2014/06/11: CCurrents: The Fall of Mosul And The False Promises of Modern History
- 2014/06/11: CCurrents: Al Qaeda Offshoot ISIS Captures Mosul, Tikrit From Iraqi Government Forces
- 2014/06/12: Xinhuanet: U.S. pledges to help free Turkish hostages in Iraq
- 2014/06/12: IndiaTimes: Iraq Sunni militant group vows to march on Baghdad
- 2014/06/12: IndiaTimes: Recent Islamist attacks show emboldened militants
- 2014/06/12: IndiaTimes: US occupation deepened Shia-Sunni rift in Iraq
- 2014/06/12: IndiaTimes: Iraq insurgents take Saddam's home town Tikrit in lightning advance
- 2014/06/11: RT: Iraq open to US airstrikes against jihadists - reports
- 2014/06/11: AntiWar: 161 Killed, 119 Wounded as More Iraq Cities Seized
- 2014/06/10: AntiWar: Several Iraq Cities Fall to Militants; 36 Killed, 69 Wounded in Other Regions
- 2014/06/11: AntiWar: Yesterday Mosul, Today Tikrit: al-Qaeda Seizing Much of Northern Iraq -- AQI Fighters Loot Central Bank in Mosul of $429 Million
- 2014/06/11: AntiWar: As al-Qaeda Expands, Baghdad Is in the Crosshairs -- Militants Control Major Highways Heading to Capital
- 2014/06/11: AntiWar: Iraqi Govt Shocked, Angry as Military Routed by al-Qaeda -- Army Turned Tail and Ran in the Face of Islamist Militants
- 2014/06/11: AntiWar: US Plans Emergency Arms Shipments to Iraq -- As al-Qaeda Grows, US Options Are Limited
- 2014/06/11: AntiWar: Not What the US Planned: Al-Qaeda Tears Down Syria-Iraq Border -- Bulldozers Tearing Down Earthen Border
- 2014/06/11: AntiWar: Iraq Asking for US Air Strikes Against al-Qaeda -- Administration Weighing Possible Involvement in Iraq
- 2014/06/10: UNZ: Anarchy in Iraq -- Militants seize the city of Mosul and free 1,200 people in prison break
- 2014/06/11: CPunch: The Raid on Mosul -- Who is the Jihadi Leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi?
- 2014/06/11: TruthDig: The Fall of Mosul and the False Promises of Modern History
- 2014/06/12: WSWS: The fall of Mosul and the crimes of imperialism
- 2014/06/11: WSWS: Al Qaeda offshoot ISIS captures Mosul from Iraqi government forces
- 2014/06/11: al Jazeera: ISIL abduct Turkish consul staff in Mosul
Turkish government warns of retaliation if its citizens are harmed, after 49 abducted by ISIL in raid on consulate.
- 2014/06/11: al Jazeera: Did Iraq government's neglect lead to Mosul's downfall?
Continued control of Anbar - and now Mosul - could lead to a de facto partition of the country.
- 2014/06/11: al Jazeera: Iraq city of Tikrit falls to ISIL fighters
Gunmen from the Islamic State of Iraq take city and launch attacks on Kirkuk and Samarra, a day after the fall of Mosul.
- 2014/06/12: al Jazeera: Iraq's Maliki 'appealed for US air strikes'
Prime minister asked US to launch strikes against ISIL last month but Washington refused, New York Times report says.
- 2014/06/11: BBC: UN condemns Iraqi militant attacks
- 2014/06/11: BBC: Iraq crisis: Militants 'seize Tikrit' after taking Mosul
- 2014/06/11: CBC: Iraqi attacks: U.S. sending aid to slow militants
Al-Qaeda splinter group captures Iraqi oil refinery town after Mosul seizure
- 2014/06/11: flc: ISIL' "a threat to the entire region"
- 2014/06/10: flc: ISIS's takeover of Mosul
- 2014/06/11: MoA: Iraq: The Civil War Restarted
- 2014/06/11: Asia Times: Iraq 'emergency' call as Mosul falls
- 2014/06/11: Asia Times: Kurdish oil and a value vacuum
- 2014/06/11: CNN: Militants make gains in Tikrit, Iraq, after Mosul takeover, police and witnesses say
Don't harm our citizens, Turkish foreign minister warns - 48 people seized by militants in raid on Turkey's consulate in Mosul -
Heavy fighting in Tikrit as militants take over much of that city - Half a million people have fled Mosul fighting, International Organization for Migration says
- 2014/06/11: Xinhuanet: Insurgents seize more towns in northern Iraq
- 2014/06/11: RT: 'US needs to change tactics in Iraq'
- 2014/06/10: Reuters: Hundreds killed as ISIL insurgents gain ground in east Syria
- 2014/06/10: WaPo: From Iraq to Syria, splinter groups now larger worry than al-Qaeda
- 2014/06/09: UNZ: Battle to Establish Islamic State Across Iraq and Syria
The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant now controls vast stretch of land
- 2014/06/10: AntiWar: Al-Qaeda Seizes Iraq’s Mosul, Moves on Kirkuk -- Maliki Declares 'State of Emergency' After Troops Routed
- 2014/06/10: AntiWar: Al-Qaeda Seizes Northern Iraqi Oil Capital of Mosul -- Troops Abandon Weapons, Flee
- 2014/06/11: al Jazeera: Iraqis flee Mosul after fighters seize city
Al-Qaeda splinter group ISIL overruns country's second biggest city, prompting PM to declare national emergency.
- 2014/06/10: al Jazeera: ISIL: the eminent threat in Iraq and Syria
The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant has outgrown even al-Qaeda as it seeks to establish a new caliphate
- 2014/06/11: BBC: Iraq crisis: Islamists force 150,000 to flee Mosul
- 2014/06/10: BBC: Iraq militants seize Mosul, causing thousands to flee
Iraq's prime minister has asked parliament to declare a state of emergency after Islamist militants effectively took control of Mosul and much of its province of Nineveh.
- 2014/06/11: ABC(Au): Mosul attack: Former White House adviser Douglas Ollivant says strength of ISIS militants underestimated
- 2014/06/10: ABC(Au): Mosul: Iraqi PM Nouri al-Maliki calls for state of emergency after insurgents take control
- 2014/06/10: CBC: UN, U.S. condemn militants' assault on Mosul
- 2014/06/10: Xinhuanet: Bloody attacks kill 46 people across Iraq
- 2014/06/09: AntiWar: Northern Iraq Under Siege: 123 Killed, 261 Wounded
- 2014/06/09: AntiWar: Three Iraqi Kurd Party Offices Bombed in Two Days, 63 Killed -- Second Round of Truck Bombings Tear Through Northern Offices
- 2014/06/09: AntiWar: Al-Qaeda in Iraq Seizes Provincial Govt Headquarters in Mosul -- Governor Urges Locals to Fight Off AQI Invasion
- 2014/06/09: Xinhuanet: 69 people killed in violence across Iraq
- 2014/06/08: AntiWar: Major Fighting as al-Qaeda in Iraq Sets Sights on Mosul -- Provincial Govt Seeks Kurdish Aid as AQI Offensive Grows
- 2014/06/08: AntiWar: 82 Killed, 110 Wounded Across Iraq As Kurdish Party HQ Bombed
- 2014/06/08: AntiWar: Bombing Attack on Iraqi Kurdish Party HQ Kills 19 -- Car Bomb and Suicide Bomber Strike PUK Headquarters
Jalawla [is] in Diyala Province, and on the frontier between Iraqi Kurdistan and the rest of the nation.
An attacker driving an explosive-laden car and wearing a suicide vest launched a double bomb attack against the headquarters of the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK) party in Jalawla.
The car was timed to detonate, while the bomber managed to sneak himself into the building to detonate his own vest and increase casualties. At least 19 were killed, and 50 others wounded.
- 2014/06/07: BBC: Iraq violence: Dozens killed by Baghdad bombings
A series of bombings across the Iraqi capital, Baghdad, has left more than 50 people dead and scores injured.
- 2014/06/07: CBC: Iraq car bombs kill at least 52 -- 7 separate bombs explode in Baghdad
- 2014/06/07: Xinhuanet: Bodies of 21 policemen found in Iraq's Mosul
- 2014/06/07: IndiaTimes: 59 dead as police battle militants in Iraq's Mosul
- 2014/06/06: AntiWar: 166 Killed, 101 Wounded Across Iraq As Militants Attack Mosul
- 2014/06/07: BBC: Hostages seized as Iraq militants storm Ramadi university
Militants in Iraq have stormed a university campus in the western city of Ramadi, taking dozens of students and staff hostage.
- 2014/06/07: CBC: Iraq militants storm university, seize students -- Gunmen reported to be holding dozens of students hostage
Iraqi officials say gunmen have stormed a university in the restive Anbar province west of Baghdad and are holding dozens of students hostage.
Police and army officials say the attack took place Saturday morning when gunmen stormed Anbar University near the provincial capital Ramadi, parts of which have been held by Islamic extremists and other anti-government militants for months. The gunmen have detained dozens of students inside the university dormitory, they said.
- 2014/06/07: al Jazeera: Spain can probe camerman's killing by US tank
Spanish court rules criminal investigation into killing of Jose Couso by a US tank shell in Iraq in 2003 can be pursued.
- 2014/06/05: AntiWar: Iraq Military Repulses Militants; 166 Killed, 96 Wounded
- 2014/06/05: BBC: Iraqi troops 'repel militant attack on Samarra'
- 2014/06/05: Xinhuanet: Bomb attacks kill 17, injure 53 across Iraq
- 2014/06/04: AntiWar: Sahwa Leader’s Nephew Among 65 Killed, 144 Wounded Across Iraq
- 2014/06/03: AntiWar: Heavy Casualties in Falluja; 122 Killed, 80 Wounded Across Iraq
- 2014/06/04: WSWS: UK Chilcot Inquiry: cover-up continues over war against Iraq
- 2014/06/01: UNZ: The Chilcot Inquiry's Focus on Bush-Blair Secrets Distracts Us from Disaster in Plain Sight
- 2014/06/02: AntiWar: Bombers Strike in Southern Iraq; 85 Killed, 189 Wounded
- 2014/06/02: CPunch: The Chilcot Inquiry as Comic Opera
The Focus on Bush-Blair Secrets is a Distraction from a Disaster in Plain Sight
- 2014/06/03: WSWS: UK referred to International Criminal Court for war crimes in Iraq
- 2014/06/02: RT: Up to 800 killed in Iraq in May, two-thirds of them civilians
- 2014/06/01: AntiWar: 73 Killed, 50 Wounded Across Iraq on First Day of June
- 2014/06/01: AntiWar: 2,249 Killed in Iraq in May as Violence Continues to Rise -- Fifth Straight Month of Rising Violence in 2014
Last modified June 28, 2014