News Stories (April 2014)
- 2014/04/22: CCurrents: Iraq And Syria, The Need For A new Nuremberg
- 2014/04/20: LA Times: The closing of Abu Ghraib and the U.S. failure in Iraq by Andrew J. Bacevich
Saddam Hussein represented cruelty and oppression. The U.S. represented freedom and democracy. But the scandal at Abu Ghraib rendered this distinction untenable.
- 2014/04/21: AntiWar: Bombers, Clashes Leave 105 Dead, 127 Hurt Across Iraq
- 2014/04/21: CPunch: Foreign Fighters Push Iraq to Brink of Civil War -- Iraq’s New Wave of Suicide Bombers
- 2014/04/20: AntiWar: 79 Killed, 112 Wounded As Iraq Militants Attack Religious College
- 2014/04/20: UNZ: Foreign Suicide Bombers Kill Thousands and Bring Iraq to the Brink of Civil War
- 2014/04/20: al Jazeera: Attacks across Iraq leave many dead
Violence, including a rare attack on a university, comes two weeks ahead of parliamentary vote.
- 2014/04/18: AntiWar: Militants Launch Takeover of Iraq Town; 35 Killed, 53 Wounded
- 2014/04/17: AntiWar: Army Base Attacked; 106 Iraqis Killed, 79 Wounded
- 2014/04/16: AntiWar: Anbar Gov’t Compound Targeted; 104 Killed, 95 Wounded Across Iraq
- 2014/04/15: AntiWar: 55 Killed, 44 Wounded Across Iraq As Abu Ghraib Prison Is Shut Down
- 2014/04/17: NBF: Iraq oil pipeline damaged for 40 days as repair crews get killed but Iraq is now barely a blip in media coverage
- 2014/04/16: al Jazeera: Violence surges in Iraq's Anbar province
At least 16 civilians die when mortar shells land on houses in Fallujah, as suicide bombings kill soldiers in Ramadi.
- 2014/04/14: AntiWar: Militants Shut Down Iraq Dam Again; 57 Killed, 19 Wounded
- 2014/04/11: AntiWar: Disenfranchised: Iraq’s Anbar Province Treated Like a Territory -- Govt Excludes Anbar From Official Data on Violence
- 2014/04/11: AntiWar: 54 Killed, 26 Wounded in Iraq As Militants Try to Kill Deputy PM
- 2014/04/11: AntiWar: 86 Killed as al-Qaeda vs al-Qaeda Fighting Continues on Syria-Iraq Border -- Nusra Front Reclaims Key City as Reinforcements Arrive
- 2014/04/11: AntiWar: Al-Qaeda Seizes Anbar Dam, Floods Out Troops Near Fallujah -- Maliki Vows Revenge as Water Shortages Grow on the Euphrates
- 2014/04/12: BBC: Iraqi deputy PM al-Mutlaq convoy in clash with soldiers
Guards protecting the convoy of the Iraqi deputy prime minister have reportedly been involved in a fire fight with soldiers.
The shoot-out came as Saleh al-Mutlaq was travelling to the Abu Ghraib area west of Baghdad.
The details of the clash are unclear. Earlier reports suggested the attackers were militants posing as soldiers.
- 2014/04/11: al Jazeera: Scores killed in clashes in Iraq's Ramadi
At least 50 members of armed forces and seven fighters killed in fighting in provincial capital in latest violence.
- 2014/04/09: AntiWar: Bombers Strike Across Baghdad and Southern Iraq; 61 Killed, 197 Wounded
- 2014/04/07: AntiWar: Two Executed in Iraq; 52 Killed, 52 Wounded in Attacks
- 2014/04/07: Guardian(UK): Couples, drugs and Rummy: how an Iraq veteran sees the Unknown Known
Watching the new Errol Morris documentary about my old boss, Donald Rumsfeld, is a little like working for him: you feel nothing
- 2014/04/07: Asia Times: Obama moral compass changes on Iraq
- 2014/04/06: AntiWar: Al-Qaeda in Iraq Moves Into Abu Ghraib With Eyes on Baghdad -- Iraqi Capital in Reach for Islamist Fighters
- 2014/04/06: AntiWar: 42 Killed, 74 Wounded As Battles Approach Baghdad
- 2014/04/04: AntiWar: Iraq Clashes Drive Tally To 71 Killed, 48 Wounded
- 2014/04/03: AntiWar: 102 Killed, 62 Wounded As Militants Attack Iraq Army Base
- 2014/04/03: al Jazeera: Deadly clashes kill dozens near Iraqi capital
At least 45 people killed in clashes and blasts as Iraqi troops battle armed groups near Baghdad.
- 2014/04/02: AntiWar: Iraq Army Recruits Targeted; 54 Killed, 67 Wounded
- 2014/04/01: AntiWar: March Casualty Figures Released As 35 Killed, 24 Wounded in Iraq
- 2014/04/01: AntiWar: 1,886 Killed in Iraq in March as Violence Continues to Rise -- Over 2,000 Others Wounded
- 2014/04/01: Guardian(UK): Kawergosk refugee camp's hope in the face of tragedy
- 2014/03/28: FFF: TGIF: Obama’s Iraqi Fairy Tale
Last modified April 23, 2014