- --March 2009--
- 2009/03/01: Independent(UK): Israel's death squads: A soldier's story
A former member of an Israeli assassination squad has broken his silence for the first time.
- 2009/03/02: Independent(UK): The pasta, paper and hearing aids that could threaten Israeli security
- 2009/03/02: CNN: Interpol: Iran not asking for Israeli arrests
Interpol denies reports Iran has sought help to arrest Israeli leaders - Tehran has accused PM Ehud Olmert of war crimes in Gaza - Defense Minister Ehud Barak, Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni and 12 others targeted
- 2009/03/02: FarsNews: Iran Presents List of 149 Israeli War Criminals to Interpol
Iran released a list of 149 Israeli war criminals including 34 political leaders and 115 other Israelis involved in the recent war against Gaza people, Iranian Prosecutor General Qorban Ali Dorri Najafabadi announced.
Noting that the group is charged with committing war crimes and violating the Geneva Conventions and war laws, Najafabadi stressed on Sunday that the Israeli leaders have breached the human rights and committed genocide.
Iran wants Interpol to issue arrest warrants for these criminals because of their crimes against humanity, occupation, aggression, threatening regional and international peace and security, he reiterated.
- 2009/03/02: TehranTimes: Iran charges 29 Zionist officials with war crimes
- 2009/03/03: Dominion: Canada will Represent Israel in Venezuela: Minister [of State for Latin America, Peter Kent]
- 2009/02/26: LobeLog: [Elliott] Abrams Says Iran Sends Arms [to Gaza] Via Somalia
- 2009/03/02: LobeLog: More on the Iran-Somalia-Gaza Weapons Route
- 2009/03/02: JWN: Reconstruct Gaza? A Likud adviser says 'No'
- 2009/03/03: BBC: Challenge of Israeli settlements
Israel's Prime Minister designate, Benjamin Netanyahu, will not openly commit to a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. But the US insists it's the only way forward...
- 2009/03/03: BBC: US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has restated "unshakeable" support for Israel, whatever type of government emerges from current coalition talks
- 2009/03/03: AlterNet: Obama Pressured by Israel Lobby to Boycott World Conference Against Racism
- 2009/03/02: CSM: Israeli limits stymie Gaza rebuilding
Without a shift in the Israeli policy that doesn’t allow building materials into Gaza, much of the $2.8 billion that Palestinians hope to raise at a donors’ conference Monday will be limited to humanitarians needs.
- 2009/03/01: Rabble: Memo to Minister Kenney: Criticism of Israel is not anti-Semitism
- 2009/03/02: LeDaro: Israel and Apartheid
- 2009/03/02: SwissInfo: Jewish activists criticise Israeli occupation
Jewish activists have demonstrated in the Swiss capital, Bern, saying Israel should end its occupation of Palestinian territories and improve human rights
- 2009/03/02: CBC: Almost $4.5B in new aid pledged for Gaza reconstruction
- 2009/03/02: TStar: Canada, Israel on same page
Foreign ministers find 'convergence' on Palestinian conflict, Gaza situation and Iran
Canada and Israel appear to see eye to eye on most of the threats and challenges facing the Jewish state, officials said here following a weekend visit to Israel and Jordan by Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister Lawrence Cannon.
"Our impression was, there was fundamental convergence on all the issues," Israeli foreign ministry spokesperson Yigal Palmor said following Cannon's 75-minute meeting here yesterday with Tzipi Livni, his Israeli counterpart.
- 2009/03/02: Guardian(UK): Israel may face war crimes trials over Gaza
Court looks at whether Palestinians can bring case - International pressure grows over conflict
- 2009/03/01: BBC: Israel's prime minister has promised an "uncompromising response" if rockets continue to be fired from the Gaza Strip into Israel
- 2009/03/01: Guardian(UK): Israel PM's family link to Hamas peace bid
Olmert rejected Palestinian attempts to set up talks through go-between before Gaza invasion
Hamas, the militant Palestinian organisation, attempted to conduct secret talks with the Israeli leadership in the protracted run-up to the recent war in Gaza - with messages being passed from the group at one stage through a member of prime minister Ehud Olmert's family.
Confirmation of attempts to establish a direct line of communication between Hamas and Israel - and the willingness of senior figures in Hamas to contemplate direct negotiations - fundamentally alters the narrative of the build-up to the war in Gaza which claimed more than 1,300 Palestinian lives and led to about a dozen Israeli deaths.
Most remarkable is the story of the involvement of a member of the prime minister's family in the passing of messages to Olmert about the case of the kidnapped Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit.
- --February 2009--
- 2009/02/27: CCurrents: Israel's Lurch To The Right Could Be Far Indeed
- 2009/02/27: CCurrents: Israel’s Military Mephistopheles
- 2009/02/26: DerSpiegel: Former Peace Negotiators Call for End to Hamas Boycott
In an open letter obtained by SPIEGEL ONLINE, 14 former peace negotiators call on the Mideast Quartet to include Hamas in talks. The signatories include former Israeli Foreign Minister Ben-Ami and the UN's former envoy to the Middle East Quartet. All agree a peace settlement "without Hamas will not be possible."
- 2009/02/28: BBC: Palestinian militants in the Gaza Strip have reportedly fired five rockets over the border into Israeli territory but there is no indication of casualties
- 2009/02/27: ThinkP: Right-Wing Jewish Leaders Attack Hillary Clinton For Tackling Middle East Conflict
- 2009/02/27: BBC: Israel's prime minister-designate Benjamin Netanyahu says talks to include the centrist Kadima party in a coalition have ended without agreement
- 2009/02/27: BBC: Despair and rage among Gaza's youths
- 2009/02/26: TPMCafe: Only In America: Steve Rosen, Under Indictment, Leads Fight Against Key Obama Pick [Charles E. Freeman]
- 2009/02/25: OLJ: Forget about the peace process
- 2009/02/26: BBC: Palestinians pledge era of unity -- Leaders of the rival Palestinian factions Hamas and Fatah have said they are entering a new era of reconciliation, after talks in Cairo
- 2009/02/26: AlterNet: It's Outrageous That Gaza Depends on Secret Tunnels for Access to the Outside World
- 2009/02/26: BBC: Senior members of Hamas and Fatah, the main rival Palestinian factions, have agreed to release each other's members from detention
- 2009/02/25: CCurrents: Targeting Israel With Boycotts, Divestment, Sanctions, And Prosecutions
- 2009/02/24: CCurrents: The BattleFor Bil'in
- 2009/02/24: CCurrents: Israeli And American War Crimes?
- 2009/02/23: Amnesty: Israel/Occupied Palestinian Territories: Evidence of misuse of US-weapons reinforces need for arms embargo
- 2009/02/25: Rabble: Prominent South African calls for sanctions against Israel
- 2009/02/25: RCC: The Worst Thing I've Read in a While
- 2009/02/24: DerSpiegel: After Gaza -- What Europe and America Must Do in Middle East
The war in Gaza seems to be over even if the cease-fire is shaky. A European-American initiative could now create the conditions for something more durable, which addresses the security needs of both Israelis and Palestinians. To do so, Syria and Hamas must be engaged in the peace process.
- 2009/02/25: Ha'aretz: Clinton warns Israel over delays in Gaza aid
- 2009/02/25: Guardian(UK): Miliband accused over arms exports to Israel.
Foreign secretary David Miliband has acted "in flagrant and continuing breach of international law" by failing to suspend arms exports to Israel, the High Court will hear after a case commenced yesterday
- 2009/02/24: uComics: (cartoon - Danziger) Mr. Netanyahu's Call for Unity
- 2009/02/24: LobeLog: [Elliott] Abrams Confirms His New Role -- official mouthpiece of Bibi Netanyahu and his Likud Party at the Council on Foreign Relations and on the pages of The Weekly Standard...
- 2009/02/23: LobeLog: [Dennis] Ross Gets An Appointment But Maybe Not Quite the One He Wanted
- 2009/02/19: LobeLog: Amazing Appointment -- Chas Freeman as NIC Chairman
- 2009/02/24: SpinWatch: Who are the Real Criminals?
- 2009/02/24: FDL: The AIPAC Prosecution Suffers A Crippling Blow
- 2009/02/23: Hindu: Olmert sacks lead negotiator on Gaza truce
- 2009/02/24: BBC: US to donate '$900m in Gaza aid'
The United States is preparing to donate some $900m (£621m) for Gaza, an Obama administration official said.
The aid would not go to Hamas, the group that controls the territory, but it would help the Palestinian Authority, the official added.
- 2009/02/24: CBC: U of O bans pro-Palestinian poster -- The poster shows an Israeli helicopter firing a missile at a Palestinian child labelled "Gaza."
- 2009/02/23: CBC: Olmert shelves Israel's truce negotiator
Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert has dismissed his country's top negotiator for criticizing the government's demand that a captured soldier held by Hamas be returned before any ceasefire deal is reached with the Palestinian militant group.
Amos Gilad was the Israeli Defence Ministry's top official involved in ceasefire talks with Egyptian mediators to reach a truce following Israel's 22-day military campaign against Hamas in the Gaza Strip.
- 2009/02/24: G&M: CUPE stand on Israel dangerous, Kenney says
- 2009/02/23: BBC: High stakes for Egypt over Gaza
- 2009/02/23: Rabble: Robert Fisk on Gaza and the media
- 2009/02/23: SwissInfo: Gaza in ruin is no surprise to aid chief
Switzerland's top humanitarian official, who on Sunday ended a visit to the Gaza Strip, says the damage inflicted during January's battle with Israel was not unexpected.
Toni Frisch, the deputy director-general for the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC), said aid that to Palestinians is being delivered independently of the Hamas government.
- 2009/02/23: SST: Will Netanyahu kill the US/Israel romance?
- 2009/02/23: BBC: Gaza case studies: Weapons use
- 2009/02/23: BBC: Israel-Hamas arms embargo urged
Campaign group Amnesty International has called for an arms embargo against Israel, Hamas and other Palestinian armed groups after fighting last month.
The human rights group said it had evidence both Israel and Hamas had used weapons sourced from overseas to carry out attacks on civilians.
It called for the UN Security Council to impose the embargo on all parties.
- 2009/02/23: Guardian(UK): Suspend military aid to Israel, Amnesty urges Obama after detailing US weapons used in Gaza
White phosphorus shells traced back to America - Activists call for arms embargoes on both sides
- 2009/02/21: LeDaro: Gaza, Israel and Apartheid: There's a Tear in my Heart
- 2009/02/22: BBC: Africa border opens for Gaza aid
The border between Morocco and Algeria, closed for almost 15 years, has been temporarily reopened for an aid convoy heading towards the Gaza Strip.
The convoy of 99 vehicles, which left from the UK loaded with medicine, food, clothes and toys, crossed into Algeria near the Moroccan town of Oujda.
- 2009/02/21: CCurrents: Netanyahu Asked To Form New Israeli Government
- 2009/02/21: CCurrents: Obama Was Unconvinced By Bibi’s Desire For Peace
- 2009/02/21: CCurrents: Global Boycott Movement Marks Its Successes
- 2009/02/21: CCurrents: Do Americans Get "The Truth"?
- 2009/02/20: CCurrents: Where Are The Weapons?
- 2009/02/20: CCurrents: Fascist Rule In Israel
- 2009/02/19: CCurrents: Israel’s Naked Zionfascism
- 2009/02/19: CCurrents: The Roots Of Hatred In The Zionist Ideology
- 2009/02/19: CCurrents: Fearing A 'One State Solution', Israel's President Serves Pabulum To Washington
- 2009/02/21: TMoS: Cotler's Smear Job
According to Irwin Cottler's screed in today's National Post, if you're critical of Israel, you're an anti-semite.
Cottler contends that criticism of Zionism's excesses is anti-Semitic. Criticism of Israeli apartheid-style measures is anti-Semitic. He claims that if you criticize these things then, by definition, you're committed to the destruction of the state of Israel.
- 2009/02/21: AlterNet: What Journalists Get Wrong About Gaza
- 2009/02/21: Asia Times: Storm brews between US and Israel
- 2009/02/19: House:BBaird: Brian Views Destruction in Gaza -- Calls for Immediate Relief and Change in Policy
- 2009/02/20: TPMCafe: Reps. Ellison and Baird in Gaza: Absolutely Appalled
[...] "Entire neighborhoods have been destroyed, schools completely leveled, fundamental water, sewer, and electricity facilities hit and relief agencies heavily damaged. The personal stories of children being killed in their homes or schools, entire families wiped out, and relief workers prevented from evacuating the wounded are heart wrenching - what went on here, and what is continuing to go on, is shocking and troubling beyond words."
- 2009/02/20: OLJ: An underdog’s dilemma
- 2009/02/20: OLJ: Israel is reportedly assassinating Iranian nuclear scientists?
- 2009/02/19: OLJ: Why US, Iran should resume ties
- 2009/02/19: OLJ: Jews are cutting their own throats with Zionism’s bloody knife
- 2009/02/18: OLJ: Aid for Palestine under attack
- 2009/02/20: Xinhuanet: Israel's Netanyahu entrusted with forming coalition
- 2009/02/20: NTI: Netanyahu given six weeks to form new Israeli government
- 2009/02/20: CBC: Netanyahu urges key rivals to join 'unity' government
- 2009/02/19: BBC: The Palestinian group Hamas has sent a letter addressed to the US president via a US politician visiting Gaza, a senior UN official has said
- 2009/02/19: CBC: U.S. politicians visit battle-scarred Gaza
- 2009/02/19: CBC: Israel headed for 'extreme right-wing' regime, Kadima's Livni says
- 2009/02/19: CBC: Key rival endorses Netanyahu as next Israeli PM
- 2009/02/19: AlterNet: Once You See What Truly Happened in Gaza, it Will Change You Forever
- 2009/02/02: Lancet: The Wounds of Gaza
- 2009/02/18: CCurrents: Israel Should Forget About Bombing Iran
- 2009/02/17: CCurrents: Apartheid Israel Gaza Massacre
- 2009/02/16: CCurrents: Chomsky On Gaza
- 2009/02/16: CCurrents: Israel Is Committing A Holocaust In Gaza: Norman Finkelstein
- 2009/02/18: Rabble: Exposed: University of Toronto suppresses pro-Palestinian activism
- 2009/02/14: LobeLog: Best Analysis of Israel Elections and Implications for Obama
- 2009/02/18: CBC: Lifting of Gaza blockade depends on abducted soldier's release: Israel
- 2009/02/18: BBC: At a weekend meeting in Istanbul, 200 religious scholars and clerics met with senior Hamas officials to plot a new jihad centred on Gaza
- 2009/02/13: OpenDem: Israel: how things fell apart
A hollowed centre, a lost left, a resurgent right: Israel's political dynamics are clearer than its electoral arithmetic might suggest, says Thomas O'Dwyer.
- 2009/02/17: OpenDem: Article 51: Israel's false claim
Both opponents and supporters of Israel's attacks on Gaza fail to see how deep its breach of international law and norms really runs
- 2009/02/17: OLJ: A democratic state: In Palestine, and the U.S.A.
- 2009/02/16: OLJ: Another postponement to peace in Palestine
- 2009/02/16: OLJ: The PLO: Why an alternative and why the panic?
- 2009/02/17: BBC: Explosives haul missing in Gaza
A large stockpile of unexploded weapons has disappeared in Gaza, before United Nations experts were able to dispose of it safely...
- 2009/02/17: SMH: West Bank land set aside for new Jewish settlement
- 2009/02/16: WpgFP: Israel takes control of more West Bank land for possible settlement expansion
- 2009/02/14: CCurrents: The Bell Tolls [Book Review] _We can have Peace in the Holy Land_ by Jimmy Carter
- 2009/02/14: CCurrents: [Book Review] _Israel’s Occupation_ by Neve Gordon
- 2009/02/13: CCurrents: Israel Lurches Into Fascism
- 2009/02/13: CCurrents: Israelis, In Crisis, Vote For A Government Of War
- 2009/02/12: CCurrents: Israeli Election Exposes Social And Political Crisis
- 2009/02/11: CCurrents: Few Peacemakers In Israel's Knesset
- 2009/02/11: CCurrents: Digging For The Truth
- 2009/02/11: CCurrents: Israel’s Subtle Propaganda Strategy - The Israel Lobby At Work Part - I
- 2009/02/14: Rabble: The Israeli smashing of Gaza and international silence
- 2009/02/12: METimes: Israel's Intelligence Disaster
- 2009/02/14: WiC: Mr. Obama and Israel’s nuclear arsenal
- 2009/02/14: BBC: Israel will not agree to a truce in Gaza unless an Israeli soldier held by Palestinian militants is freed, Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert has said. -- Gilad Shalit was captured by Palestinian militants in 2006
- 2009/02/14: SMH: Israel ready to strike Iran: ex-envoy
A former senior Israeli diplomat has warned that Israel is ready to launch a military offensive against Iran to prevent it from developing nuclear weapons.
In an exclusive interview, Dan Gillerman, Israel's permanent United Nations representative from 2003 until last September, said the time for diplomatic efforts to stop Iran from acquiring a nuclear capability might already have expired.
- 2009/02/14: Guardian(UK): Hamas murder campaign in Gaza exposed
Islamist regime has killed dozens and tortured others as 'collaborators' with Israel in war's aftermath, Amnesty and Guardian sources say
- 2009/02/13: BBC: Israel air strike hits Gaza Strip
Israel has launched an air strike in Gaza, killing one Palestinian and wounding at least one other, medical officials said.
The strike hit close to the town of Khan Younis, in the south of Gaza.
The men were on a motorcycle when they were hit by fire from an Israeli drone, Palestinian security officials said.
- 2009/02/13: AlterNet: Israel Treated Gaza Like Its Own Private Death Laboratory
- 2009/02/13: BBC: Hamas 'set for truce with Israel'
A long-term truce between the Palestinian militant group Hamas and Israel may be announced within days, Hamas officials said in Cairo.
Border crossings would reportedly be re-opened and a ceasefire would be called for 18 months under the Egyptian-brokered deal.
- 2009/02/12: OLJ: Relieve their suffering
- 2009/02/11: OLJ: How do people keep going? [in Gaza]
- 2009/02/11: OLJ: Gaza crossings must be opened
- 2009/02/12: BBC: Results confirm Israeli deadlock
- 2009/02/11: DerSpiegel: Netanyahu and Livni Contest Victory in Israeli Election
- 2009/02/11: BBC: Israel rivals vie to head cabinet
Leaders of the two main Israeli parties are seeking coalition partners to form a government after neither emerged the clear winner in early elections.
The governing centrist Kadima won 28 seats and the right-wing Likud opposition won 27 - both well short of the 61 needed to form a government.
The ultra-nationalist Yisrael Beiteinu came third with 15 seats.
Israel's president is expected to begin consultations next week about which party to ask to form a government.
- 2009/02/11: CBC: Livni, Netanyahu both claim victory in tight Israeli vote
- 2009/02/10: OLJ: Gilad Shalit: The grand illusion
- 2009/02/09: OLJ: Change the lobby
- 2009/02/10: CBC: Israelis head to the polls to decide tight race
- 2009/02/10: CBC: Amnesty accuses Hamas of attacking, killing Palestinian opponents
- 2009/02/09: BBC: The UN has said it will resume aid deliveries to the Gaza Strip after Hamas returned confiscated food aid
- 2009/02/09: CBC: Israeli forces kill Gaza militant, ceasefire talks ongoing
- 2009/02/09: BBC: Gaza activist detained in Egypt
A German-Egyptian activist has been detained north of Cairo during a rally in support of Palestinians in Gaza.
Philip Rizk has been an outspoken activist on Palestinian issues and lived in Gaza for two years.
He previously worked on aid projects with Canon Andrew White, special envoy to the Middle East for the Archbishop of Canterbury.
Eyewitnesses said he was bundled into a white van with no licence plates, which then sped off.
The German embassy has been informed of his detention and is trying to locate him.
His family say they have been tipped off that he is now being held by Egyptian secret police at an undisclosed location.
- 2009/02/07: LeDaro: A Slap on Benjamin Netanyahu's Face
- 2009/02/08: Guardian(UK): Rise in antisemitic attacks 'the worst recorded in Britain in decades' -- British Jews' safety fears grow after Gaza invasion
- 2009/02/08: Guardian(UK): Israeli Arabs fear a Gaza backlash as far right prepares for power role
- 2009/02/07: CCurrents: Change The Lobby
One cannot emphasize enough the stranglehold Israel’s lobbying infrastructure has on US foreign policy.
- 2009/02/07: CCurrents: Americans Are Funding And Supporting Genocide [in Palestine]
- 2009/02/05: CCurrents: The Story Of Khaled Abd Rabo
- 2009/02/07: DVoice: Israel’s Attack on Gaza: Legitimate Self Defense or War Crime?
- 2009/02/06: DVoice: The Tale of Two Apartheids
- 2009/02/05: OLJ: Netanyahu will shut the door on peace
- 2009/02/04: OLJ: Israel is addicted to war
- 2009/02/06: FTimes: Gaza offensive boosted Hamas, poll concludes
- 2009/02/06: LeDaro: Benjamin Netanyahu: A loose canon literally?
- 2009/02/06: BBC: Unstable politics plague Israel
- 2009/02/06: BBC: The UN aid agency in Gaza [UNRWA] says it has suspended all aid shipments, accusing the Hamas government of seizing hundreds of tonnes of food supplies
- 2009/02/06: CBC: UN agency stops aid imports to Gaza, cites Hamas 'thefts' -- Sporadic violence continues
- 2009/02/05: CBC: Israel agrees to transfer millions of dollars into Gaza
- 2009/02/05: BBC: Israeli-Arabs take anger to ballot box
It seems everyone on the chaotic, slightly scruffy streets of the Israeli-Arab town of Nazareth is still seething about Israel's operation in Gaza.
- 2009/02/05: CBC: Israel seizes Lebanese ship heading for Gaza
- 2009/02/05: CBC: Israeli troops kill [Ala a-din Abu Rop] Islamic Jihad leader in West Bank, military says
- 2009/02/05: BBC: An Israeli probe into the death of the three daughters of a Gaza doctor in the recent offensive there has concluded they were killed by Israeli fire
- 2009/02/04: CCurrents: Did The Israeli Army Wage A Jewish Jihad In Gaza?
- 2009/02/02: CCurrents: Ceasefires, Israeli-Style
- 2009/02/02: CCurrents: Gaza New Siege Mechanism
- 2009/02/04: CSM: George Mitchell and the end of the two-state solution -- Israel's settlement growth means we have to find a different plan
- 2009/02/04: CSM: War crimes accusations rattle Israel
In the wake of the Gaza war, Israel is preparing to defend itself and its soldiers against possible criminal charges in European courts that claim 'universal jurisdiction.'
- 2009/02/04: BBC: Hamas police 'seize aid for Gaza'
Hamas policemen have seized thousands of blankets and food parcels that were meant to be distributed to Palestinian civilians in Gaza, UN officials say.
A UN spokesman said policemen raided a UN warehouse on Tuesday after officials refused to hand over the aid to a Hamas-controlled ministry.
The UN said it was the first time its aid had been confiscated by Hamas.
- 2009/02/04: CBC: UN accuses Hamas of confiscating Gaza aid
- 2009/02/02: CPunch: Israeli War Crimes -- Under the Black Flag
- 2009/02/02: TP:WonkRoom: Israeli Gov’t Data Reveals Extent Of Illegal Settlements
- 2009/02/03: JWN: ICRC head Kellenberger (and Rabbani) on the Gaza crisis
- 2009/02/03: OLJ: The US garden of evil
- 2009/02/02: OLJ: War on Gaza: Israeli action, not reaction
- 2009/02/03: OLJ: Secular "anti-Zionist" Jewish groups echo Zionist groups
- 2009/02/03: BBC: Palestinians make ICC overtures
International Criminal Court officials are considering an application by the Palestinian Authority that could allow it to investigate war crimes in Gaza.
The Palestinians have accused Israel of breaking the laws of war during its recent 22-day offensive in Gaza.
The PA hopes recognition of the court's jurisdiction will allow it to investigate allegations. Israel does not recognise the ICC's jurisdiction.
The ICC's founding statute says only states can recognise its jurisdiction.
Prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo said it could take some time to decide whether the Palestinian Authority was legally able to make this move.
The court has made public a letter from Palestinian Justice Minister Ali Khashan recognising the authority of the ICC - the world's first permanent war crimes tribunal.
- 2009/02/03: BBC: Israeli planes have bombed smuggling tunnels on Gaza's border with Egypt, the Israeli military says
- 2009/02/03: CBC: Long-range Gaza rocket hits Israeli city of Ashkelon
- 2009/02/03: AlterNet: On Eve of Elections, Israeli Leaders Play Into Hands of Palestinian Militants
- 2009/02/03: BBC: Gaza hospital bears heavy strain
- 2009/02/03: Guardian(UK): States of confusion
As the dust settles on Gaza, is the best vision for the future of the Middle East a one, two or three-state solution?
- 2009/02/01: Guardian(UK): Israel threatens 'disproportionate' response to Palestinian rocket fire
- 2009/02/02: LetFreedomRain: So, that's what they call "disprorportionate"
- 2009/02/02: LeDaro: Gaza: Rick Sanchez exposes the truth about Gaza and Israeli Aggression
- 2009/02/01: SST: "Cast Lead" failed
- 2009/02/02: BBC: An Israeli air strike on a car in the southern Gaza Strip has killed a Palestinian and wounded at least three others...
- 2009/02/02: CBC: No repeat of Gaza campaign, says Israeli defence minister [Ehud Barak
- 2009/02/02: BBC: Israeli aircraft have bombed a Hamas security target in Gaza City and tunnels used by the militant group along the border with Egypt
- 2009/02/02: Guardian(UK): Israeli governing parties face poll battering amid Gaza scepticism -- Survey reveals public's doubts about war
- 2009/02/01: BBC: Israel vows tough rocket response -- Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert has vowed a "disproportionate" response to rocket attacks on Israel from Gaza
- 2009/02/01: CBC: Israel threatens 'disproportionate' response to Hamas rocket fire
- 2009/02/01: Guardian(UK): Gaza desperately short of food after Israel destroys farmland
Officials warn of 'destruction of all means of life' after the three-week conflict leaves agriculture in the region in ruins
According to the World Food Programme, the UN's Food and Agriculture Organisation and Palestinian officials, between 35% and 60% of the agriculture industry has been wrecked by the three-week Israeli attack, which followed two years of economic siege.
- --January 2009--
- 2009/01/13: SW: Tariq Ali: 'Why the West wants to destroy Hamas'
- 2009/01/01: Ha'aretz: Secret Israeli database reveals full extent of illegal settlement
- 2009/01/30: LobeLog: Haaretz leaks government settlement database
- 2009/01/29: AlterNet: Israel Broke "Ceasefire" Hours After it Went Into Effect
- 2009/01/31: ThinkP: Israeli Foreign Minister Backtracks On Commitment To Force Jewish Settlers Out Of The West Bank
- 2009/01/31: LetFreedomRain: Is Israeli sense of victimization roiling the Gaza flames?
- 2009/01/31: Guardian(UK): Beyond the bounds of religion -- Muslims should see Gaza not as a tragedy for the Islamic world, but for all human beings
- 2009/01/31: CCurrents: Gaza: Every Family Has A Story, Here Are Some Of Them
- 2009/01/31: CCurrents: War On Gaza: Israeli Action, Not Reaction
- 2009/01/31: CCurrents: Israel And Hamas Won, So Who Lost?
- 2009/01/30: CCurrents: Were Chickens Firing Rockets?
- 2009/01/29: CCurrents: Palestine: The Shortcut To Peace
- 2009/01/30: TP:WonkRoom: Livni Promises To ‘Maintain Maximum Settlers’
- 2009/01/30: DerSpiegel: A Turkey-Israel clash at Davos -- Erdogan's Feeling for Rage
The Turks know that their Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan is something of a hothead. Critics warn that his fit of rage at the World Economic Forum has damaged Turkey's important relationship with Israel. Erdogan's supporters are jubilant and are even celebrating the "Hero of Davos" with a fan Web site.
- 2009/01/31: BBC: Egypt 'to monitor Gaza tunnels'
Egypt says it has begun to install cameras and motion sensors along the border with Gaza to try to stop weapons smuggling by Palestinian militants.
Tighter surveillance of the tunnels is one of Israel's key conditions for maintaining the ceasefire that ended its three-week offensive against Hamas.
- 2009/01/31: Guardian(UK): Turkish PM greeted by cheers after Israel debate clash
- 2009/01/31: Guardian(UK): Netanyahu retains poll lead after Gaza campaign
- 2009/01/30: Guardian(UK): Bibi's spectre looms large
Gaza changed little for Israeli voters, it's their disappointment with the centrist Kadima party that could bring back Netanyahu
- 2009/01/30: Guardian(UK): Recep Erdogan storms out of Davos after clash with Israeli president over Gaza
- 2009/01/30: NewScientist: Conflict leaves Gaza's agriculture in ruins
- 2009/01/26: AlterNet: Israel's Leaders Are Frantically Trying to Prevent War Crimes Proceedings for Their Gaza Atrocities
- 2009/01/30: TPMCafe: Has Israel Jumped The Shark?
- 2009/01/30: TPMCafe: Israel's Only Way Out
- 2009/01/30: RSilverstein: Duking it Out in Davos: Erdogan v. Peres
- 2009/01/30: CD: CBS under attack for exposing Israeli apartheid
- 2009/01/30: OLJ: For Palestinians, Obama’s message is crystal clear
- 2009/01/30: OLJ: Israel hopes to colonize parts of Iraq as ‘Greater Israel’
- 2009/01/30: BBC: US 'actively seeks' Mid-East deal
The US envoy to the Middle East, George Mitchell, has said Washington is committed to "actively and aggressively" seeking lasting peace.
He announced that President Barack Obama had directed him to spend $20.3m (£14.1m) on food and medical aid to the wounded and displaced in Gaza.
Mr Mitchell is on a regional tour aimed at consolidating ceasefires declared by Israel and Palestinian groups in Gaza.
- 2009/01/30: BBC: Turkish PM given hero's welcome
Turkey's PM has received a hero's welcome on his return to Istanbul after he stormed out of a debate about Gaza at the World Economic Forum in Davos.
Recep Tayyip Erdogan had reacted angrily when he was refused the chance to respond to Israeli President Shimon Peres' defence of the operation
- 2009/01/30: CBC: Turkish PM gets hero's welcome after shouting match with Israeli leader
- 2009/01/29: CBC: Turkish PM, Israeli president get into shouting match at economic forum
- 2009/01/30: Times(UK): Turkey hails PM as 'Conquerer of Davos' after walkout
- 2009/01/30: BBC: Turkish PM storms off in Gaza row
Turkey's prime minister has stormed off the stage at the World Economic Forum in Davos after a heated debate on Gaza with Israel's president.
Recep Tayyip Erdogan clashed with Shimon Peres, whose voice had risen as he made an impassioned defence of Israel's actions, jabbing his finger.
Mr Erdogan said Mr Peres had spoken so loudly to conceal his "guilt".
He accused the moderator of not allowing him to speak and said he did not think he would return to Davos.
The Turkish PM stressed later that he had left the debate not because of his disagreements with Mr Peres but because he had been given much less time to speak than the Israeli leader.
- 2009/01/30: Guardian(UK): What the Hamas factions could mean for peace in the Middle East
- 2009/01/30: Guardian(UK): Dozens believed dead in reprisal attacks as Hamas retakes control
- 2009/01/29: Guardian(UK): A suffocating consensus of self-congratulation
The role played by the World Jewish Congress as cheerleader for Israel does no favours for Jews around the world
- 2009/01/29: Guardian(UK): Israel and Hamas attacks undermine Gaza ceasefire
- 2009/01/29: Guardian(UK): Gaza mother fears for children hurt in Israeli drone strike
- 2009/01/29: Guardian(UK): Spain investigates claims of Israeli crimes against humanity in Gaza
Former defence minister and six others accused over 2002 bombing that killed 15 people, mostly babies and children
- 2009/01/29: MEO: The Wrong Side of History
- 2009/01/28: McClatchyDC: Israel's destruction of U.S.-style school shocks Gazans
- 2009/01/29: SMH: Hamas 'would recognise' pre-1967 Israel
Hamas would recognise Israel if it withdraws to its pre-1967 borders, a French Jewish writer said this week after meeting the exiled leader of the Palestinian Islamist movement, Khaled Meshaal.
"He told me that Hamas was prepared to recognise Israel on the lines of June 4, 1967. He told me so several times," Marek Halter told AFP on Monday.
- 2009/01/29: Google:AP: Hamas officials signal willingness to negotiate
- 2009/01/29: DVoice: For Palestinians, Obama’s Message is Crystal Clear
- 2009/01/29: Wired:DR: Doctors Spooked by Israel's Mystery Weapon
- 2009/01/29: AlterNet: Controversial Bestseller Shakes the Foundation of the Israeli State
What if the Palestinian Arabs who have lived for decades under the heel of the modern Israeli state are in fact descended from the very same "children of Israel" described in the Old Testament?
And what if most modern Israelis aren't descended from the ancient Israelites at all, but are actually a mix of Europeans, North Africans and others who didn't "return" to the scrap of land we now call Israel and establish a new state following the attempt to exterminate them during World War II, but came in and forcefully displaced people whose ancestors had lived there for millennia?
What if the entire tale of the Jewish Diaspora -- the story recounted at Passover tables by Jews around the world every year detailing the ancient Jews' exile from Judea, the years spent wandering through the desert, their escape from the Pharaoh's clutches -- is all wrong?
That's the explosive thesis of When and How Was the Jewish People Invented?, a book by Tel Aviv University scholar Shlomo Zand (or Sand) that sent shockwaves across Israeli society when it was published last year.
- 2009/01/29: RedJenny: Controversial Bestseller Shakes the Foundation of the Israeli State
- 2009/01/23: EmpireBurlesque: Thus Sprach Barack: Pouring Acid on Gaza's Wounds
- 2009/01/26: EmpireBurlesque: First Blood: Pictures From Life's Other Side
- 2009/01/27: EmpireBurlesque: Silent as the Tomb: Another American-Backed Slaughter Ignored
- 2009/01/29: OLJ: Palestinians abandoned in legal limbo
Israel must no longer be afforded immunity and impunity if peace is ever to reign in this region. As long as it continues to literally get away with murder without any accountability, it will remain drugged with its own sense of power and invincibility.
Why should Israel relinquish land for peace when it can bomb, shell and incinerate the other side without any repercussions from the international community at large? This is why it is crucial that Israel be investigated and, if necessary, prosecuted for breaching international humanitarian law in Gaza.
- 2009/01/28: OLJ: BBC exemplifies anti-Palestinian bias
- 2009/01/29: BBC: The UN has launched an appeal for $613m to help people affected by Israel's military offensive in Gaza
- 2009/01/29: CBC: UN launches $613M US Gaza appeal at Davos economic forum
- 2009/01/29: CBC: Violence continues as U.S. Mideast envoy visits West Bank
- 2009/01/29: Guardian(UK): Listen up, George
Putting aside whether to talk to Hamas and Hezbollah, Obama's envoy could at least hear what those who vote for them say
- 2009/01/29: Guardian(UK): Respect is not enough -- Obama's interview with a Muslim TV channel was eloquent and persuasive. But his silence over Gaza also speaks volumes
- 2009/01/28: Guardian(UK): Gaza ceasefire of critical importance, says US envoy -- George Mitchell arrives in Israel for talks with Israeli and Palestinian leaders
- 2009/01/28: Guardian(UK): UN nuclear chief boycotts BBC over Gaza appeal
- 2009/01/29: Guardian(UK): Gaza crossings reopen when our soldier is free, Olmert tells envoy [George Mitchell]
- 2009/01/28: CCurrents: The Post-Gaza World
- 2009/01/27: CCurrents: How To Kill A Palestinian
- 2009/01/26: CCurrents: Israel Killed Everything But The Will To Resist
- 2009/01/28: DerSpiegel: A Chronicle of War in Gaza -- The Mourning that Follows the Hate
- 2009/01/26: DerSpiegel: Did Israel Commit War Crimes in Gaza?
- 2009/01/28: BBC: Who will rebuild Gaza?
Even as aid agencies struggle to meet the immediate needs of those left injured, homeless and traumatised by the Israeli operation in Gaza, concerns are growing that reconstruction efforts could become bogged down in a complex political tangle.
Initial Palestinian estimates said rebuilding would cost $2bn (£1.4bn) and take three to five years, even without the host of obstacles Gaza faces.
- 2009/01/28: BBC: The new US envoy [George Mitchell] for the Middle East has said it is "critically" important to extend the Israeli-Hamas ceasefire
- 2009/01/28: CBC: Israel pounds Gaza tunnels as U.S. Mideast envoy arrives in region
- 2009/01/28: BBC: Israeli airstrikes have targeted the Gaza Strip's border with Egypt, as part of Israel's response to an attack on one of its frontier patrols on Tuesday
- 2009/01/28: SMH: Israel accused of using farmers as human shields
- 2009/01/28: Guardian(UK): Minister for terror: Gaza will fuel UK extremism
- 2009/01/27: Guardian(UK): Mitchell heads to Middle East to initiate dialogue between Israel and Hamas
- 2009/01/27: Guardian(UK): With Mitchell, Obama could make progress on Middle East peace
- 2009/01/27: Guardian(UK): George Mitchell and the Middle East
- 2009/01/27: Guardian(UK): Fuelling the cycle of hate
- 2009/01/27: Guardian(UK): Israeli soldier and Palestinian killed in attacks near Gaza border
- 2009/01/27: Guardian(UK): No more Mr Nice Guy -- George Mitchell's appointment as Middle East envoy should put Israel on notice that Obama expects to get results
- 2009/01/25: LobeLog: Pat Lang Weighs in Against Ross
- 2009/01/22: LobeLog: Parsing Obama’s Words on Mitchell Appointment
- 2009/01/27: OLJ: Three more headlines from hell
- 2009/01/26: OLJ: The BBC’s day of shame
- 2009/01/26: OLJ: Breaking Gaza’s will: Israel’s enduring fantasy
- 2009/01/27: BBC: Israel has carried out an air attack in the Gaza Strip and launched an incursion with tanks and bulldozers across the border
- 2009/01/27: CBC: Air strike, bombing threaten fragile Gaza ceasefire
- 2009/01/27: BBC: Bowen diary [of the conflict between Hamas and Israel]: Stranded with dead
- 2009/01/26: BBC: EU envoy [Louis Michel] lays Gaza blame on Hamas
A senior European Union official touring war-torn Gaza has blamed the ruling militant movement Hamas for the humanitarian crisis there.
Humanitarian aid chief Louis Michel called the destruction left by Israel's offensive "abominable", but said Hamas bore "overwhelming responsibility".
He said there would be no dialogue with with the "terrorist" movement until it gave up violence and recognised Israel.
- 2009/01/27: Yahoo: Carter: If no Palestine, Israel sees 'catastrophe'
Former President Jimmy Carter said Monday that Israel will face a "catastrophe" unless it revives the Mideast peace process and establishes an independent Palestinian state.
- 2009/01/27: SMH: Amid the devastation, angry survivors want to know why
- 2009/01/27: Guardian(UK): Writing cheques for Gaza is easy. Politics is the tricky bit
It is time to question Europe's historic role of financing the failure of policies laid down in Israel and the US
- 2009/01/27: Guardian(UK): BBC and Gaza -- Error of judgment
- 2009/01/26: Guardian(UK): Americans turn to Al-Jazeera for coverage of Gaza conflict
Al-Jazeera English saw a 600% jump in its online viewership, with 60% of that growth from US viewers
- 2009/01/25: at-Largely: If America does it, then it must be legal, right?
- 2009/01/25: TP:WonkRoom: Extremist Opposes Arab Peace Initiative
- 2009/01/26: TP:WonkRoom: Addressing The Problem Of Settlements
- 2009/01/25: TruthDig: Israeli PM Promises to Shield Troops From War Crime Trials
- 2009/01/26: TruthDig: With Gaza, Journalists Fail Again
The assault on Gaza exposed not only Israel’s callous disregard for international law but the gutlessness of the American press. There were no major newspapers, television networks or radio stations that challenged Israel’s fabricated version of events that led to the Gaza attack or the daily lies Israel used to justify the unjustifiable. Nearly all reporters were, as during the buildup to the Iraq war, pliant stenographers and echo chambers. If we as journalists have a product to sell, it is credibility. Take that credibility away and we become little more than propagandists and advertisers. By refusing to expose lies we destroy, in the end, ourselves.
- 2009/01/22: SST: "More Hokum" on Gaza
- 2009/01/24: SST: Dennis Ross and the "Jewish People Policy Planning Institute"
- 2009/01/26: CBC: Charities, politicians blast BBC over Gaza appeal row
- 2009/01/25: CBC: Israel vows to back soldiers accused of war crimes
- 2009/01/25: CBC: Hamas opens makeshift government offices -- Group set to begin talks with Egyptian officials
- 2009/01/25: BBC: Israeli PM in war crimes pledge
Any Israeli soldiers accused of war crimes in the Gaza Strip will be given state protection from prosecution overseas, the country's PM has said.
- 2009/01/26: Guardian(UK): Hamas offers $52m handouts to help hardest-hit Gazans
Israelis destroyed or damaged 21,000 buildings -- Food factories among those hit during invasion
Hamas officials stepped in yesterday to offer cash handouts worth a total of $52m (£38.1m) to Gazans who had lost family members, homes or businesses, as fresh evidence emerged of Israel's destruction of civilian infrastructure in Gaza, including the territory's largest concrete factory and the only operating flour mill - both of which are now in ruins.
As well as the heavy toll on human life, more than 21,000 buildings and apartments have been wholly or partly destroyed, including at least 219 major factories, among them several industrial sites, including food processing plants.
Palestinian surveyors said an initial estimate shows overall damage of $1.9bn. Israel's leaders insisted its war was against Hamas and its structures in Gaza. But much of Gaza's private industry had already been forced out of business by Israel's economic blockade over the past year and a half. The rest has now been severely damaged by war.
- 2009/01/26: Guardian(UK): [Letters] The newspeak of Israeli propagandists
- 2009/01/26: Guardian(UK): Idiocy, by the book -- Denying the Gaza appeal airtime is in line with potty BBC regulations that exalt 'impartiality'
- 2009/01/26: Guardian(UK): [Letters] Lives in the balance in Gaza
- 2009/01/25: BBC: Members of the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas are due to meet Egyptian officials to discuss ways to shore up a fragile ceasefire in the Gaza Strip
- 2009/01/25: BBC: BBC resisting pressure over Gaza
The BBC is continuing to resist pressure over its decision not to air an appeal for aid to Gaza, as the Archbishop of York joined its critics.
Rival channels ITV, Channel 4 and Five have now agreed to show the DEC appeal.
Director general Mark Thompson has said by airing the appeal the BBC would risk reducing public confidence in its impartial coverage of the conflict.
But Dr John Sentamu said it was "not a row about impartiality but rather about humanity".
- 2009/01/25: Guardian(UK): Why the BBC is wrong over the Gaza appeal
- 2009/01/25: Guardian(UK): Hamas fights to rebuild Gaza in new battle for hearts and minds
- 2009/01/25: Guardian(UK): This cowardly decision betrays the values the corporation stands for
- 2009/01/25: Guardian(UK): At the heart of BBC row, the homeless of Gaza
- 2009/01/24: Guardian(UK): ITV and Channel 4 to air Gaza appeal as pressure mounts on BBC
- 2009/01/23: CCurrents: A Decisive Loss For Israel
- 2009/01/23: CCurrents: Did Obama Set-Up Mitchell To Fail In The Middle East?
- 2009/01/23: CCurrents: Gaza: A New Awakening In The American-Arab Youth
- 2009/01/23: HuffPo: Can George Mitchell Astound the Skeptics, Again?
- 2009/01/24: DailyIndia: UNRWA chief calls for independent probe into alleged Gaza war crimes
United Nations Relief and Works Agency chief John Ging has said that a credible investigation of the death and destruction in Gaza was necessary especially in light of the growing anger of Gazans, the increasing number of extremists in the Strip and their lack of faith in the rule of law.
It is urgent to establish accountability for death and the destruction of Palestinian infrastructure through a credible mechanism, which would "channel this emotion to confidence in the rule of law," The Jerusalem Post quoted Ging, as saying.
- 2009/01/22: DerSpiegel: Israel's Conspicuous Silence after the War
Israelis do not understand a world that reproaches them for what they have done in the Gaza Strip. They brush aside concerns about civilian casualities and stories about Palestinian suffering are relegated to the back pages. Why is discussion about the war so taboo?
- 2009/01/23: DerSpiegel: Gaza in Ruins -- 'Who Has Won Here?'
- 2009/01/24: BBC: 'Phosphorus wounds' alarm Gazans
- 2009/01/24: BBC: Rivals break with BBC in Gaza row
ITV, Channel 4 and Five are to show a charity appeal for Gaza amid a row over the BBC's decision not to run the film.
Ministers urged the BBC to recognise "immense human suffering" and show the Disasters Emergency Committee appeal.
- 2009/01/23: CBC: Fragile ceasefire continues in Gaza
- 2009/01/24: CBC: UN schools reopen in Gaza
- 2009/01/24: Times(UK): Israel admits using white phosphorous in attacks on Gaza
- 2009/01/24: al Jazeera: Israel forms war crime defence team
- 2009/01/24: Guardian(UK): BBC rebuked over refusal to air Gaza appeal
- 2009/01/24: Guardian(UK): Royal Court acts fast with Gaza crisis play
Caryl Churchill was so appalled by events in Gaza she wrote a play, titled Seven Jewish Children - A Play for Gaza
- 2009/01/24: Guardian(UK): In praise of ... the Disasters Emergency Committee
- 2009/01/23: Guardian(UK): Child casualties of Israel's war on Gaza
Stories of 10 of the 280 or more children who died during the three-week military operation
- 2009/01/23: Guardian(UK): Children of Gaza: stories of those who died and the trauma for those who survived
Rory McCarthy reports from Gaza City on the individual stories of some victims and the physical and psychological toll on an estimated 350,000 youngsters
- 2009/01/23: Guardian(UK): The self-defence defence
Accusations of war crimes by foreign critics simply bounce off Israel's bullet-proof sense of moral imperative in its military action
- 2009/01/23: Guardian(UK): In praise of...the Disasters Emergency Committee -- Broadcasters are wrong to boycott the Gaza appeal
- 2009/01/23: Guardian(UK): Why I'm boycotting Israeli produce
Fruit and vegetable exports are crucial to the Israeli economy. A consumer boycott of agricultural produce exerts direct economic pressure where it matters
- 2009/01/23: CSM: Newest Gaza fight: Who controls reconstruction aid? Israel and the US don't want rebuilding homes to become rebuilding Hamas
- 2009/01/23: DemNow: Noam Chomsky: Obama’s Stance on Gaza Crisis "Approximately the Bush Position"
- 2009/01/22: TP:WonkRoom: Katulis: Gaza Crisis Emblematic Of Bush Failure
- 2009/01/23: LeDaro: Ehud Olmert: Mission Accomplished and the Cheerleaders
- 2009/01/23: OLJ: Worse than an earthquake [Gaza]
- 2009/01/23: OLJ: Did Obama set up Mitchell to fail in the Middle East?
- 2009/01/24: Xinhuanet: Hamas slams Obama's statements on Middle East
- 2009/01/24: Xinhuanet: War ended, but homeless Palestinians have no where to go
- 2009/01/23: BBC: UN 'shocked' by Gaza destruction
The UN's humanitarian chief has told the BBC the situation in Gaza after a three-week Israeli offensive against Hamas was worse than he anticipated.
Sir John Holmes, who visited Gaza on Thursday, said he was shocked by "the systematic nature of the destruction".
- Wiki: George J. Mitchell
- Wiki: Richard Holbrooke
- 2009/01/20: Nation: The Day the Earth Still Stood
- 2009/01/23: SMH: War crimes: talk but not much action
- 2009/01/23: Guardian(UK): BBC refuses airtime to Gaza aid appeal
- 2009/01/22: FTimes: Obama urges Israel to open Gaza borders
President Barack Obama on Thursday called on Israel to open its borders with Gaza, in a powerful sign of his new administration’s break with Bush-era policy on the Middle East and the world as a whole.
Speaking on a day when both he and Hillary Clinton, secretary of state, were welcomed by hundreds of enthusiastic US diplomats at the State Department, Mr Obama proclaimed that his administration would "actively and aggressively seek a lasting peace between Israel and the Palestinians" in the wake of the recent conflict in Gaza.
"The outline for a durable cease-fire is clear: Hamas must end its rocket fire; Israel will complete the withdrawal of its forces from Gaza; the US and our partners will support a credible anti-smuggling and interdiction regime, so that Hamas cannot rearm," Mr Obama said. "As part of a lasting cease-fire, Gaza’s border crossings should be open to allow the flow of aid and commerce, with an appropriate monitoring regime, with the international [community] and Palestinian Authority participating."
- 2009/01/22: UN: Senior UN officials survey ‘shocking’ aftermath of Israeli offensive in Gaza
- 2009/01/19: RaedInTheMiddle: Silence is Betrayal
- 2009/01/19: DVoice: Spinning Gaza -- Does Hamas Have a PR Problem?
- 2009/01/22: NYT: Outcry Erupts Over Reports That Israel Used Phosphorus Arms on Gazans
- 2009/01/22: ThinkP: [Anti-Defamation League’s Abe] Foxman: George Mitchell is too ‘fair’ and ‘even-handed’ to serve as Middle East envoy
- 2009/01/22: Independent(UK): Robert Fisk: So far, Obama's missed the point on Gaza...
- 2009/01/22: TGBeaver: Talking to Hamas : from Fisk to Frum
- 2009/01/22: LeDaro: Gaza and Palestinian Land: A killing field for the last 60 years
- 2009/01/16: EmpireBurlesque: The End of Hypocrisy: Crime's Gleeful Abandon in Gaza
- 2009/01/21: EmpireBurlesque: The One and Only: Waiting for Word From on High
- 2009/01/22: OLJ: Not to remain silent
I write simply not to remain silent in the face of U.S. and Israeli aggression against the Palestinian population in general, and the Gaza population in particular.
- 2009/01/18: D-N-I: On War #288: Israel Doesn’t Get 4GW
- 2009/01/22: Indiatimes: Al-Qaida urges attacks in US, Britain to avenge Gaza war
Dubai: A prominent al-Qaida figure, Abu Yahya al-Libi, on Thursday urged Islamist militants to launch attacks in the West, naming the United States and Britain, to avenge Israel's onslaught on Gaza.
"Sacrifice what you can to deliver to the capitals of the infidel West, the criminal America, and the agent tyrants a taste of what they deliver to our brothers and our oppressed brothers and people in Palestine," Libi said in a videotape posted on the Internet, according a translation by SITE monitoring group.
"Deliver to them the bitter taste of war, tragedies of displacement, and the bitterness of terror," he said.
"It is time for this criminal state, and I mean Britain, to pay the price for its historic crime, which we have not and will not forget," added Libi, blaming Palestinian suffering on Britain's Balfour Declaration of 1917 which promised a homeland for Jewish people.
- 2009/01/21: BBC: Gaza ruins pose questions for Hamas
- 2009/01/22: BBC: Gaza smugglers get back to work -- Hundreds of Palestinians are starting to repair tunnels in Gaza that are used for smuggling in goods from Egypt
- 2009/01/22: CBC: UN humanitarian chief [John Holmes] tours Gaza destruction
- 2009/01/21: BBC: Hamas leader urges West to talk
The political leader of Hamas, Khaled Meshaal, says that the time has come for the West to lift its boycott on his Palestinian Islamist movement.
In a speech aired on Arab satellite TV, the exiled chief said it was "time to start talking to Hamas".
Hamas, which controls the Gaza Strip, declared a ceasefire after Israel called off its three-week offensive.
The group has claimed victory in the confrontation, saying it stopped Israel achieving its aims.
- 2009/01/22: Guardian(UK): A decisive loss for Israel -- Hamas has emerged from the war stronger. Now we look to Obama to repair the errors of silence
- 2009/01/21: Guardian(UK): The options before Israel
What can be done to bring an end to the conflict between Israel and the Palestinians? There are three possibilities
[...] one nation state [...] two-state solution [...] The third option is one which is rarely mentioned, but actually lies behind much of the West Bank settlement policy.
It is that Israel's occupation of the promised land will become complete over time. It will be completed because, as with the original occupation of the promised land, the other nations already in the promised land will be subdued or expelled
- 2009/01/21: Guardian(UK): Self-defence is no defence
As more testimony emerges from the ruins of Gaza, evidence is stacking up that Israel has a war crimes case to answer
- 2009/01/21: Guardian(UK): Israel and the white heat of justice
A political solution for Gaza must not preclude the investigation of war crimes, including Israel's use of white phosphorus
- 2009/01/21: Guardian(UK): How Israel drowns dissent
Firefighters turned their hoses on a peaceful anti-war protester last week. Their attitude reflects a worrying shift in public opinion
- 2009/01/21: Guardian(UK): Israeli army investigates use of white phosphorus in Gaza
- 2009/01/21: Guardian(UK): Under the border with Egypt, Gaza's smugglers return to work
- 2009/01/18: BostonGlobe: The violence network
It's biased, gruesome, and totally compelling. How Al-Jazeera makes one American think differently about war
- 2009/01/21: UN: In wake of Gaza crisis, Ban urges ‘massive’ effort to resolve Arab-Israeli conflict
- 2009/01/21: CCurrents: State Terrorism Against Gaza
- 2009/01/21: CCurrents: Isn't It Time For A War Crimes Tribunal?
- 2009/01/21: CCurrents: Israel's Right To Defend Itself
- 2009/01/21: CCurrents: Al Nakba Redux
- 2009/01/21: CCurrents: The Israeli Invasion Of Gaza; Politics By Other Means
- 2009/01/21: CCurrents: Gaza Offensive 'A Crime Against Humanity'
- 2009/01/20: CCurrents: Why Israel Won't Survive
[...] True, in terms of ability to murder and destroy, Israel is unmatched. But Israel's problem is not, as its propaganda insists, "terrorism" to be defeated by sufficient application of high explosives. Its problem is legitimacy, or rather a profound and irreversible lack of it. Israel simply cannot bomb its way to legitimacy.
- 2009/01/20: CCurrents: Israel’s Doctrine Of Destruction
- 2009/01/20: CCurrents: An MOU To Kill More Palestinians
- 2009/01/20: CCurrents: Civilian Casualties In Palestinian/Israeli conflict Should Be Primary Concern
- 2009/01/20: CCurrents: From Lebanon To Gaza: Israel's Déjà Vu
- 2009/01/20: CCurrents: Gaza Carnage And America's Pro-Israel Policies
- 2009/01/20: CCurrents: Gaza: The Franco-Egyptian Proposal
- 2009/01/19: CCurrents: Sacrificing Gaza To Revive Israel's Labor Party
- 2009/01/19: CCurrents: Shock, Awe, And A Belated Soul-Search
- 2009/01/19: CCurrents: How To Sell 'Ethical Warfare' by Neve Gordon
One of my students was arrested yesterday and spent the night in a prison cell. R's offence was protesting the Israeli assault on Gaza. He joins over 700 other Israelis who have been detained since the beginning of Israel's ruthless war on Gaza: an estimated 230 of whom are still behind bars. Within the Israeli context, this strategy of quelling protest and stifling resistance is unprecedented, and it is quite disturbing that the international media has failed to comment on it.
- 2009/01/19: CCurrents: The Plot Against Gaza
- 2009/01/19: CCurrents: The Untold Story Behind The Middle East Crisis
- 2009/01/19: CCurrents: Israel’s War Erodes US Middle East Diplomacy
- 2009/01/20: OpenDem: Israel’s politics of war
The impact of Israel's three-week assault on Gaza on the civilian Palestinian population is revealing of its true character...
- 2009/01/21: OpenDem: Israel, Gaza and international law
The way Israel has conducted its military operations in Gaza extends a wider and dangerous trend towards state unilateralism...
- 2009/01/16: NFinkelstein: Deutschland Uber Alles
The grandchildren of holocaust survivors from World War II are doing to the Palestinians exactly what was done to them by nazi Germany...
- 2009/01/21: Guardian(UK): Israel admits troops may have used phosphorus shells in Gaza -- Amnesty warns Israel could be guilty of war crimes
- 2009/01/21: TruthDig: Israel Admits It ‘May Have Used’ Chemical Weapon
- 2009/01/21: APOV: Israel And White Phosphorus: "Oops! Our Bad?"
- 2009/01/21: OLJ: Resistance is called ‘terrorism’
Enshrined in the Israeli narrative is the "terrorist" designation of its enemies. For most ordinary people "terrorist" is a highly emotive label and when it’s prefixed with "Islamist," it evokes images of hooded, anti-Western extremists lopping off heads or planting bombs in five-star hotels to fulfill the demands of a warped ideology masquerading as religion.
For Israel, the ‘war on terror’ has been a gift to its propaganda merchants. After all, what reasonable person can blame a country under ‘terrorist attack’ for extending its power to protect its citizens from crazed evildoers? Sadly, public perception isn’t generally nuanced enough to take account of a crucial fundamental: Israel is the occupier and the Palestinians its victims.
- 2009/01/20: OLJ: Gaza: A new Middle East indeed
- 2009/01/19: OLJ: Israel’s hands around our throat are showing
In the closing days of the Bush disaster, Israel is moving to consolidate gains it has made over the past eight years toward its ultimate goals of "Greater Israel" and the Zionist-dominated New World Order.
The urgency of the hour for Israel can be seen in the open display of Jewish/Israeli political muscle-flexing in Washington.
The normally invisible Israeli hand around America’s throat has been clearly visible lately, as America moved to take four specific actions
on Israel’s behalf which will probably prove to be harmful to America’s interests, forcing a major expansion of the war on terror.
- 2009/01/19: OLJ: Who is responsible for Gaza blight?
- 2009/01/21: BBC: Last Israeli troops 'leave Gaza'
The Israeli army says it has completed its withdrawal from the Gaza Strip, following a three-week assault against militants from the Hamas group.
Its troops will remain near the border and its spy-planes continue to fly over Gaza, and its navy vessels are still firing sporadically at Gaza's beaches.
Earlier, the UN urged Israel to fully open all of Gaza's borders to allow reconstruction work to begin.
Aid agencies estimate it could cost up to $2bn to repair the damage.
A temporary ceasefire between Israeli troops and Hamas came into effect on Sunday - but it does not include any agreement on the opening of crossings, which are tightly controlled by Israel.
The UN's humanitarian chief, John Holmes, said that unless building materials were allowed in, no reconstruction could begin.
- 2009/01/21: BBC: Israel to probe phosphorus claims
The Israeli army is to investigate claims it used white phosphorus illegally during its three-week offensive in Gaza.
- 2009/01/21: CBC: Israel finishes pulling troops out of Gaza
- 2009/01/20: BBC: What was UN chief's impact on Gaza truce? After seven hectic days in the Middle East, the UN chief is heading back to New York
- 2009/01/21: BBC: UN demands flow of goods to Gaza
The UN humanitarian chief has urged Israel to fully open all crossings with Gaza to allow a free flow of goods.
John Holmes said unless Israel allowed building materials into Gaza, no reconstruction could begin there.
- 2009/01/21: SMH: Israel may face war-crimes case for alleged atrocities
- 2009/01/21: Guardian(UK): [Letters] Picking up the pieces in Gaza
- 2009/01/20: Guardian(UK): Obama's message to the Middle East
In Jordan, Obama's inaugural message of hope to the Muslim world is overshadowed by the Gaza conflict
- 2009/01/21: Guardian(UK): Gaza doctors struggle to treat deadly burns consistent with white phosphorus
Dozens dying after Israeli attacks from injuries 'unlike any seen before' that medics say should not be fatal
- 2009/01/20: Guardian(UK): UN chief demands investigation into Israeli attack on Gaza headquarters
Ban Ki-Moon visibly angry at sight of burned-out buildings -- Palestinians estimate property damage at £1.3bn
- 2009/01/20: Guardian(UK): Israel wanted a humanitarian crisis
Targeting civilians was a deliberate part of this bid to humiliate Hamas and the Palestinians, and pulverise Gaza into chaos
- 2009/01/20: CNN: U.N. chief: Gaza violence 'heartbreaking'
U.N. chief Ban Ki-Moon travels to Gaza to inspect damage - Secretary-General expresses anguish at violence - Ban tells Israeli prime minister that U.N. will help rebuild Gaza
- 2009/01/20: UN: Bravery of own staff was inspiration for top UN official in Gaza during Israeli offensive
- 2009/01/20: UN: Ban gets first-hand look at Gaza devastation
- 2009/01/20: ZMag: "Exterminate all the Brutes": Gaza 2009
- 2009/01/20: CD: "Exterminate all the Brutes": Noam Chomsky on Gaza
- 2009/01/20: BBC: Ban 'appalled' by Gaza's damage
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon says he is appalled by Israeli attacks on a UN compound in Gaza after seeing the destruction for himself
- 2009/01/20: CBC: Gaza conflict a 'collective political failure': UN's Ban -- Secretary general condemns Hamas rocket fire, Israeli shelling of UN Gaza buildings
- 2009/01/20: BBC: Gaza rebuild 'to cost billions' -- Rebuilding the Gaza Strip after Israel's offensive will cost billions of dollars, the United Nations warns
- 2009/01/20: Guardian(UK): Israel accused of war crimes over phosphorus use
- 2009/01/20: Guardian(UK): Gaza has exposed the Arab leaders to fury and contempt
Internal rivalries over a deal with Israel have attracted opprobrium and put the very future of peace at risk
- 2009/01/20: Guardian(UK): [Letters] Ceasefire dinner
It is disgraceful that, on the heels of the ceasefire in Gaza, Gordon Brown, along with other European leaders, was seen attending a dinner hosted by Ehud Olmert...
- 2009/01/20: Guardian(UK): 'I felt it was my duty to protest'
The Israeli historian, Ilan Pappe, tells Chris Arnot that speaking out for the Palestinians turned him into a pariah
- 2009/01/20: Guardian(UK): Gaza film shows white phosphorus from alleged Israeli attack
Palestinians try to put out burning chemical banned as a weapon under United Nations convention
- 2009/01/19: Guardian(UK): The real damage in Gaza
Israel believes it has struck a blow against Hamas, but the true casualty of this war is its own moral legitimacy
- 2009/01/19: Guardian(UK): Israel's disconnect
Surgical strikes and careful warnings to civilians are what the IDF claims. As I learned in Lebanon, the reality is far different
- 2009/01/19: Guardian(UK): Amid dust and death, a family's story speaks for the terror of war
48 members of the Samouni family were killed in one day when Israel's battle with Hamas suddenly centred on their homes
- 2009/01/18: Independent(UK): 'Tungsten bombs' leave Israel's victims with mystery wounds -- As it declares a unilateral ceasefire, Jerusalem faces a UN call for a war crimes investigation
- 2009/01/19: EUO: EU pledges navy patrols to prevent Gaza smuggling
- 2009/01/02: TPR: U.N. Secretary General Says Israeli Settlements 'Illegal'
- 2009/01/19: TruthDig: Peace Is in the Eye of the Beholder
- 2009/01/19: TruthDig: Sizing Up the Damage in Gaza
- 2009/01/19: BBC: The full scale of devastation in Gaza following Israel's three-week offensive is becoming clear, after both Israel and Hamas declared ceasefires
- 2009/01/19: BBC: Wide rifts on show at Arab summit -- Arab divisions over the Gaza crisis have re-emerged at a summit in Kuwait
- 2009/01/19: Guardian(UK): A return to square one
Despite the ceasefire, the sources of the conflict in Gaza are unresolved and peace is unlikely to hold
- 2009/01/19: Guardian(UK): View from Gaza -- 'This is what Hamas promised - just destruction'
- 2009/01/19: Guardian(UK): Hamas joins fragile Israeli ceasefire - Mubarak calls summit to secure end of fighting - Death toll tops 1,300 as UN humanitarian team goes in
- 2009/01/19: Guardian(UK): A week is an eternity as diplomats strive to keep the peace
- 2009/01/18: Guardian(UK): Amid the ruins, a fragile truce and a fragile future for Gaza
- 2009/01/18: Guardian(UK): 'Israel has achieved nothing from this'
The people of Rafah wandered around the rubble of what had been their homes, dazed and distressed by the scale of the destruction. A young man stooped to push a crumpled armchair into a crater below his broken house. Gaza's frontline neighbourhood of Rafah has never seen anything like this. It was the first morning after 22 days of intense bombing, and many have lost everything.
Along a row of shattered houses a veiled woman sat in a chair surrounded by broken pieces of furniture and concrete. She waved towards the sandwiched layers of flattened concrete where her six-story home once stood. "When Israel does this is just makes us stronger," she said. "We have even more sympathy with Hamas now."
- 2009/01/17: TGBeaver: UK Jewish MP : Israel acting like Nazis in Gaza
- 2009/01/18: SCCiT: Jewish MP denounces ISRAEL as War Criminals
- 2009/01/18: BBC: The Palestinian militant group Hamas has announced an immediate ceasefire with Israel in Gaza, according to Hamas officials
- 2009/01/17: CBC: Gaza quiet as Israel's unilateral ceasefire takes effect -- Hamas vows to keep fighting
- 2009/01/18: BBC: Israel has begun a unilateral ceasefire in Gaza, three weeks after launching a full-scale assault against Hamas
- 2009/01/18: Guardian(UK): Israel calls a halt to its assault on Gaza
- 2009/01/18: Guardian(UK): Israel accused of war crimes over 12-hour assault on Gaza village -- White flags ignored and houses bulldozed with families inside, claim residents
- 2009/01/18: Guardian(UK): Can Hamas still walk tall in Gaza's streets?
- 2009/01/18: Guardian(UK): A pointless war has led to a moral defeat for Israel
- 2009/01/17: Guardian(UK): Israel announces ceasefire in Gaza
- 2009/01/17: Guardian(UK): Military components factory ransacked in Gaza protest -- Nine people held after break-in at plant near Brighton allegedly making parts for Isareli missiles
- 2009/01/17: CNN: Israel declares unilateral cease-fire in Gaza
Cease-fire in Gaza fighting to begin at 2 a.m. Sunday - Chief Palestinian negotiator says truce won't stand unless Israel leaves Gaza -
"I do not suggest that Hamas or other terrorist organizations try us," PM says - Two children killed in Israeli artillery attack at a U.N. school north of Gaza City
- 2009/01/15: UNDispatch: More on the Attack on the UNRWA Compound
- 2009/01/16: CCurrents: Israeli Assault Injures 1.5 Million Gazans
- 2009/01/16: CCurrents: Gaza: A New Middle East Indeed
- 2009/01/16: CCurrents: Day 20 Of Israeli War On Gaza: Death Toll 1100, Wounded 5100
- 2009/01/16: CCurrents: Still Breathing In Gaza
- 2009/01/16: CCurrents: The Lessons Of Gaza In A Time Of Collapse And Rebirth
- 2009/01/16: CCurrents: Why Israel Can't (Or Won't) Make Peace With Hamas
- 2009/01/16: CCurrents: The Blame Game In Gaza: Covering For Israel, Concealing War Crimes
- 2009/01/17: OpenDem: After Gaza: Israel's last chance
Israel's failure to achieve its key objectives in the Gaza war is rooted in an exhausted and counterproductive security doctrine
- 2009/01/15: at-Largely: Israel continues to destroy itself...
- 2009/01/17: Guardian(UK): Fresh evidence of Israeli phosphorus use in Gaza emerges
- 2009/01/17: Guardian(UK): [Letters] Words and deeds in the Middle East
- 2009/01/17: Guardian(UK): Trauma and terror in Gaza -- We who live in the shadow of death under the Israeli onslaught veer hour by hour from defiance to despair
- 2009/01/17: Guardian(UK): US prepares deal to end Gaza assault -- Rice tells Israel that Hamas would not have chance to rearm after fighting stops
- 2009/01/16: Guardian(UK): Syria urges full Arab boycott of Israel as divisions deepen over Gaza
President Assad says 2002 Arab League initiative no longer valid and urges member states to sever ties with Tel Aviv
- 2009/01/16: Guardian(UK): How to sell 'ethical warfare'
Claim moral superiority, intimidate enemies and crush dissent -- Israel's media management is not just impressive, it's terrifying
- 2009/01/17: Guardian(UK): The Palestinians say: 'This is a war of extermination'
- 2009/01/16: Guardian(UK): US backs deal to reopen Gaza-Egypt border
Key ceasefire demands of Hamas and Israel would be met under plan to stop crossings being used for weapons smuggling
- 2009/01/16: CD: Turkish PM: Israel should be barred from UN
- 2009/01/16: WiC: Israel’s leaders are not simply war criminals; they are fools
- 2009/01/16: DVoice: Israeli Assault Injures 1.5 Million Gazans
- 2009/01/16: ThinkP: After Bragging About Promoting ‘Human Rights,’ White House Won’t Condemn Israel’s Strike On U.N. Compound
- 2009/01/16: SCCiT: The slaughter of Palestinian children by Israel
- 2009/01/16: OLJ: Canada complicit in Israeli war crimes
- 2009/01/16: OLJ: Israel is relentlessly pursuing a course that can no longer be tolerated
- 2009/01/16: TruthDig: Israel’s Chemical Warfare?
- 2009/01/15: TruthDig: Who’s in Charge -- Obama, the Pentagon or Israel?
- 2009/01/16: BBC: Gaza hospital comes under fire -- Doctor describes chaos as Gaza City hospital is razed
- 2009/01/16: BBC: Israel 'set for ceasefire vote' -- Israeli ministers are set to vote on a unilateral ceasefire proposal at the weekend, Israeli officials say, amid signs of diplomatic movement on Gaza
- 2009/01/16: WpgSun: Israeli diplomats head for ceasefire talks
Top Israeli diplomats were heading for Egypt and the United States Friday in what appeared to be a final push toward a cease-fire to end Israel’s punishing Gaza offensive against Hamas militants.
[...] After midnight, Israeli Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni left for Washington, where she was expected to sign a memorandum of understanding with the U.S. over ways to stop arms smuggling to Hamas.
Chief Israeli negotiator Amos Gilad was flying to Cairo for the second day in a row to seek clarifications and express Israeli views about the latest Egyptian proposal for a cease-fire.
- 2009/01/16: WpgSun: Hamas chief [Khaled Mashaal]: We will not accept Israeli conditions
Doha, Qatar -- Hamas’ political chief has rejected Israeli conditions for a Gaza ceasefire and demanded an immediate opening of the besieged territory’s borders.
Khaled Mashaal’s tough line came Friday as he asked a summit of Arab countries to back him by cutting off any ties with Israel.
Despite Mashaal’s hard-line comments, Israel and Egyptian mediators are expressing optimism a ceasefire can be reached.
Israeli government spokesman Mark Regev says he is hopeful Israel is "entering the endgame" on its Gaza offensive and that a "sustained and durable" stop to Hamas rocket fire on southern Israel is near.
- 2009/01/16: WpgSun: Qatar and Mauritania have both announced a freeze in ties with Israel to protest the bloodshed in Gaza
- 2009/01/16: CBC: U.S., Israel sign deal to block Gaza weapons smuggling
- 2009/01/13: FAIR: International Law Seldom Newsworthy in Gaza War -- Israeli justifications often cited uncritically
- 2009/01/16: BBC: Urgent push for Gaza ceasefire
Diplomatic activity has intensified in the Middle East and the US over the terms of a possible ceasefire to halt Israel's war with Hamas in Gaza
- 2009/01/16: Guardian(UK): [Letters] Growing outrage at the killings in Gaza
- 2009/01/16: Guardian(UK): Hamas Decision-makers
- 2009/01/16: Guardian(UK): Airstrike kills senior Hamas minister [Said Siam] as Cairo talks inch towards ceasefire
- 2009/01/16: Guardian(UK): Indiscriminate slaughter from the air is a barbarism that must be abolished
From Vietnam and Iraq to Gaza today, history testifies that aerial bombing is an ineffective, intolerable military tactic
- 2009/01/16: Guardian(UK): Rebuilding burned bridges
If a two-state solution still can be retrieved from the ruins of Gaza, then all sides will have to recognise Hamas as a partner to talks
- 2009/01/15: Guardian(UK): Gaza split prompts Arab countries to boycott emergency summit -- Egypt and Saudi Arabia refuse to attend Qatar meeting
- 2009/01/15: UN: Ban says elements to end Gaza violence in place; voices ‘outrage’ as UN hit again
- 2009/01/15: UN: Senior official gives eyewitness account of Israeli shelling of UN Gaza compound
- 2009/01/15: CSM: Fatah, Hamas split widens amid Gaza war
Members of the secular Fatah movement, which controls the Palestinian Authority, are divided over how the group should respond to the ongoing Israeli offensive against Hamas
- 2009/01/15: LobeLog: Good for Roger Cohen -- behind-the-scenes concern about Ross
- 2009/01/15: LobeLog: UPDATE: Ross Super-Envoy Post May Not be Done Deal
- 2009/01/08: LobeLog: Petraeus vs. Ross?
- 2009/01/15: NYT: War on Hamas Saps Palestinian Leaders
- 2009/01/16: NYT: U.N. Building in Gaza Strip Is Hit by Strike From Israel
- 2009/01/14: ThinkP: Olmert stands by his story on Rice’s Gaza vote
- 2009/01/15: APOV: Bush, The Israel Lobby And America's Humiliation
- 2009/01/14: EmbassyMag: Gaza: Worse than a Crime
- 2009/01/15: TDL: Gwynne Dyer Ponders Gaza
- 2009/01/15: TDL: What Is It, Who Are They? -- Israel Allies Caucus
- 2009/01/15: TDL: White Phosphorus For The U.N.?
- 2009/01/13: BN: Intention and effect in the Israel debate
Supporters of Israel's anti-Hamas offensive are attempting to shut down debate by calling opponents of the campaign "anti-Israel" -- the same sort of tactic used here after 9/11 to try to shut down debate about the war on terror. It's disturbingly familiar stuff
- 2009/01/14: EmpireBurlesque: "Dizzy With Success": Running Out of Graves in Gaza
- 2009/01/13: EmpireBurlesque: Debunking the "Human Shield" Myth
- 2009/01/12: EmpireBurlesque: Sham, Shock and Awe: False Peace Process Bears Bitter Fruit in Gaza
- 2009/01/15: OLJ: Cease fire, cease siege
- 2009/01/15: OLJ: The humiliation of America [Olmert's phone call]
- 2009/01/15: OLJ: US deserves blame for Gaza slaughter
What’s happening in Gaza isn’t war. It is sheer unadulterated horror and because Israel has outlawed foreign journalists and is targeting Palestinian TV reporters, we don’t know the half of it. We do know that Israel has bombed UN schools, hospitals, mosques, and ambulances besides numerous private residences.
We know, too, that 257 children have been killed and 1,080 wounded.
- 2009/01/15: OLJ: Eight years of insanity: Bush, Israel, and the slow destruction of Palestine
- 2009/01/16: Xinhuanet: South Africa calls on Israel to stop military offensive in Gaza
- 2009/01/16: Xinhuanet: Iranian president: Raid on Gaza shows Israel's "aggressive nature"
- 2009/01/14: Xinhuanet: UN chief, Egyptian president meet on Gaza crisis
- 2009/01/15: Xinhuanet: UN chief ends visit to Jordan
- 2009/01/15: Xinhuanet: Israeli army targets hospital, UN unit in Gaza
- 2009/01/15: NTI: Israel acting against basic tenets of civilized conduct: [PDP patron] Mufti [Mohammad Sayeed]
Strongly condemning the unrelenting Israeli attacks on the hapless Palestinians, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) patron Mufti Mohammad Sayeed has expressed dismay over the failure of the World community in preventing the loss of innocent lives in the region.
"For the past 20 days, the World is watching as a mute spectator the mass execution of innocent Palestine civilians, including hundreds of women and children by the tyrannical Israelis," Sayeed said in a statement Thursday.
He said the international community, in general, and the Muslim countries, in particular, must take immediate concrete action to prevent further loss of innocent lives in the region.
- 2009/01/15: BBC: Key Hamas leader [Said Siam] killed in Gaza -- One of the top Hamas leaders in Gaza has been killed in an air strike, Hamas and Israeli officials have said
- 2009/01/15: CBC: Top Hamas official [Interior Minister, Said Siam] killed in Israeli air strike
- 2009/01/15: WpgFP: Israel shells UN headquarters in Gaza, destroys tonnes of humanitarian aid
- 2009/01/15: BBC: Pressure grows for Gaza ceasefire
- 2009/01/15: SMH: 'Why are they killing us and nobody moves?'
She was a girl with cuts on her face, lying in a hospital bed near her mother.
Hours earlier, before dawn in the Gaza Strip town of Khozaa, Israeli soldiers came and the fighting rattled and shook the darkness. Everyone without a gun scattered.
Fourteen-year-old Alaa Khalid ran with her mother and brother to hide in her grandfather's house.
When the fighting came, they thought it would be safer on the ground floor, where her grandfather lived. His name was Khalil Hamdan al-Najjar.
"We were hearing the sounds of bullets and shells. I was shaking, sometimes crying and repeating the Koran," Alaa said. "Suddenly, at 7 o'clock, there was a huge explosion and I did not know what happened until I found myself in the hospital."
Her grandfather was killed. No one told her right away. They waited two hours.
"Why did they kill him?" she said, starting to cry again. "Why are they are killing us and nobody moves? If we were cats in Europe and America they would have cared for us."
The wounds on Alaa's face were treated - but whatever else was wrong with her was not detected.
Doctors hurried to care for dozens of others who were carried, bleeding, through the halls.
Alaa died in her bed.
- 2009/01/15: Guardian(UK): (cartoon - Bell) Only Five More...
- 2009/01/15: Guardian(UK): Voices from the frontline -- 'I told my wife: For the sake of our kids, please just survive'
- 2009/01/15: Guardian(UK): Israeli human rights groups speak out as death toll passes 1,000
- 2009/01/15: Guardian(UK): Why children are the first casualties of war in Gaza
- 2009/01/14: Guardian(UK): Palestinian death toll in Gaza reaches 1,000
Red Cross describes situation in Gaza as 'shocking' - Ban Ki-moon says the toll on civilians is 'intolerable' - Bolivia cuts ties with Israel
- 2009/01/14: Guardian(UK): Obama's Middle East conundrum -- Much of Israel's leadership views the president-elect as naive. But will it be able to box him in on Gaza?
- 2009/01/14: UN: Ban launches Mideast ceasefire mission as reported Gaza death toll tops 1,000
- 2009/01/14: CCurrents: Blueprint For Gaza Attack Was Long Planned
- 2009/01/14: CCurrents: Israel's War Of Deceit, Lies And Propaganda
- 2009/01/14: CCurrents: Gaza Will Survive by Subcomandante Insurgente Marcos - Mexico
- 2009/01/14: CCurrents: America’s Shame
- 2009/01/14: CCurrents: Day 18 Of Israeli War On Gaza: Death Toll 980, Wounded 4400
- 2009/01/14: CCurrents: Is Gaza A Testing Ground For Experimental Weapons?
- 2009/01/14: CCurrents: White Phosphorus Being Used Against Gaza Is A War Crime
- 2009/01/14: CCurrents: Israel Is Committing War Crimes
- 2009/01/14: CCurrents: A Message From A Gazan To The World
- 2009/01/14: CCurrents: Remember Gaza: One Of History's Terror Bombing Victims
- 2009/01/14: CSM: Gaza: Israel under fire for alleged white phosphorus use
On Tuesday, the Israeli army denied using white phosphorus munitions. A Norwegian doctor claims Israel is using Gaza as a 'test laboratory for new weapons,' including Dense Inert Metal Explosives, or DIME.
- 2009/01/13: NYT: Olmert Says He Made Rice Change Vote
- 2009/01/14: at-Largely: Making Israel Pretty
We'll never have a clearer demonstration of the Israel Lobby's unwarranted influence over the U.S. media
- 2009/01/12: RaedInTheMiddle: UN Human Rights Council condemns Israel
- 2009/01/12: UNHCHR: Human Rights Council decides to dispatch fact-finding mission to investigate violations against Palestinians in occupied territory
- 2009/01/14: HollowHill: Robert Scheer on Israeli double standards and media complicity
- 2009/01/14: APOV: Israel's Monopoly On Psychological Suffering: The Trauma Vortex
- 2009/01/14: APOV: Why Do They Hate The West So Much?
- 2009/01/14: DawgsBlawg: More than 1,000 Gazan deaths later...
- 2009/01/14: CtC: First Venezuela, now Bolivia
Evo Morales, the president of Bolivia, says he is breaking off ties with Israel in protest against its war in Gaza...
- 2009/01/08: NYT: What You Don’t Know About Gaza
Nearly everything you’ve been led to believe about Gaza is wrong. Below are a few essential points that seem to be missing from the conversation...
- 2009/01/13: OLJ: Headlines from hell
- 2009/01/13: OLJ: America's shame -- Why does Israel have a right to exist, but Palestine doesn't?
- 2009/01/13: OLJ: Blind rage
For over a fortnight, the world has watched in helpless rage as Israel has conducted a virtual massacre of the Palestinian residents of Gaza, using state of the art weaponry supplied by American taxpayers.
- 2009/01/12: OLJ: The Nakba, Gaza and American responsibility
- 2009/01/13: SST: Olmert ordered US Abstention
- 2009/01/13: People's Daily: Australians "horrified" by Gaza casualties
- 2009/01/14: BBC: 'More than 1,000 killed in Gaza'
Palestinian deaths in the Gaza Strip have passed 1,000, medical sources in Gaza say, as diplomatic efforts continue to reach a ceasefire.
Nearly a third of the dead are reported to be children and nearly 5,000 people have been injured.
- 2009/01/14: CBC: Rockets launched into northern Israel from Lebanon -- UN chief arrives in Cairo for ceasefire talks
- 2009/01/14: CBS: Bin Laden: U.S. Decline Fueled Gaza Attack -- Israel Attacked Because Of America's Fading Dominance, End Of Bush Mandate, Al Qaeda Boss Says
- 2009/01/13: Yahoo: US cancels Israel arms shipment over Greek objections
The US military has to had to cancel a planned shipment of munitions from a Greek port to a US warehouse in Israel due to objections from Athens, a Pentagon spokesman said on Tuesday.
"I think the Greek government had some issue with the offloading of some of that shipment in their country and so we are finding alternative means of getting that entire shipment to its proper destination in Israel," spokesman Geoff Morrell told a news conference
- 2009/01/13: AngryArab: The Man whose Back is Against the Wall
- 2009/01/14: Asia Times: Gaza: A pawn in the new 'great game'
- 2009/01/14: Guardian(UK): Israeli public opinion -- Backing for invasion remains strong
- 2009/01/14: Guardian(UK): Israel may face UN court ruling on legality of Gaza conflict
- 2009/01/14: Guardian(UK): UN climbdown
- 2009/01/14: Guardian(UK): [Letters] UK must act to stop violations in Gaza
- 2009/01/13: Guardian(UK): Israel and the family of nations
What actions or arguments can the rest of the world take or make that will have any resonance in a country which now gives every appearance of having turned its back on global opinion?
- 2009/01/13: Guardian(UK): Israel's free ride ends
As Israel pulverises Gaza, questions and doubts about Israeli policy are becoming more prominent in the American media
- 2009/01/13: Guardian(UK): Israel and US offer differing reports on UN resolution abstention
- 2009/01/09: Reuters: U.S. seeks ship to move arms to Israel
- 2009/01/12: ThinkP: After Receiving Phone Call From Olmert, Bush Ordered Rice To Abstain On Gaza Ceasefire Resolution
- 2009/01/13: BBC: Israelis 'push on into Gaza City' -- Israeli troops have entered the suburbs of Gaza City and are engaged in street fighting with militants, reports say
- 2009/01/13: CBC: Israeli troops push forward as diplomats call for ceasefire
- 2009/01/13: Independent(UK): Gaza clinics destroyed by raids
Israeli warplanes have attacked two fully equipped medical clinics in Gaza, causing hundreds of thousands of dollars of damage, the Christian organisations which fund them reported yesterday. The Catholic relief group Caritas said its clinic in the al-Meghazi area of Gaza had been "completely destroyed" by a missile on Friday, and that 20 nearby homes had been damaged. Because local families had already fled their homes, no one was hurt, Caritas said, but equipment worth $10,000 (£6,700) was lost.
- 2009/01/13: BBC: The UN secretary general has implored Israel and Palestinian militants to halt the fighting in Gaza immediately
- 2009/01/13: Guardian(UK): Demands grow for Gaza war crimes investigation
- 2009/01/13: Guardian(UK): Offensive has forced 90,000 to flee their homes, says rights group
- 2009/01/13: Guardian(UK): Israel sends in reservists as diplomacy falters
- 2009/01/13: Guardian(UK): [Israel's] Parliament blocks Arab parties from contesting general election
- 2009/01/13: Guardian(UK): [Letters] We Jews cannot be silent bystanders while this terror goes on
- 2009/01/12: Guardian(UK): Reservists called up as Israeli forces advance in Gaza
- 2009/01/12: Guardian(UK): What is Israel's endgame in Gaza?
- 2009/01/11: SMH: Getting away with murder -- You've got to hand it to the Israeli public relations flacks: only they could convince you that killing children was an act of self-defence
- 2009/01/12: EUO: Israel objects to Spanish PM presence at anti-war rally
- 2009/01/12: UN: Ban readies Middle East visit to help promote Gaza ceasefire
- 2009/01/12: UN: Gaza: UN official reports horrific hospital scenes of casualties
- 2009/01/12: UN: UN human rights body to send fact-finding mission to Gaza
- 2009/01/12: UN: Israel should allow media into Gaza to report on war, UN agency says
- 2009/01/12: ThinkP: UN Human Rights Council condemns Israel for ‘grave violations’ of human rights
- 2009/01/12: BBC: Israeli forces are moving slowly into Gaza's most densely populated areas, reports say, as they continue air and ground attacks on Hamas militants
- 2009/01/12: CBC: Call-up of reservists suggests new phase in Israeli offensive
- 2009/01/12: AntiWar: Israel Bans Arab Parties From Election
By a margin of 26-3, the Israeli Central Elections Committee decided to ban the Balad Party from running in next month’s election. By a margin of 21-8, they also banned the United Arab List-Ta’al (UAL-T). The two bans will prevent more than half of the current Arab members of Israel’s Parliament, the Knesset, from running for reelection.
The Arab parties earned the ire of the most hawkish elements in the Israeli government by publicly opposing the ongoing war in the Gaza Strip. Balad likewise made enemies by explicitly calling for equal rights for all citizens of Israel, regardless of national or ethnic identity, which the ruling Kadima Party said would "undermine Israel’s identity as a Jewish state."
- 2009/01/12: BBC: Israel has confirmed that reserve units have been sent to the Gaza Strip, as its campaign there enters a 17th day
- 2009/01/12: SMH: Israel must abide by international law
- 2009/01/12: Guardian(UK): Casualties -- 'This one to the morgue, this one to intensive care'
- 2009/01/12: Guardian(UK): Ultimate [Israeli] aim remains unclear as government prepares for next move
- 2009/01/12: Guardian(UK): Supreme emergency -- The Gaza crisis compels us to interrogate when, if ever, we consider armed resistance acceptable
- 2009/01/12: Guardian(UK): Take care over caution
Faced with frustrating and highly charged conditions, the BBC's attempts to offer balanced reporting of the Gaza conflict have weakened it, says John Kampfner
- 2009/01/11: Guardian(UK): Profits of war -- The economic benefits of peace are supposed to lure Israelis and Palestinians away from conflict, but war makes money too
- 2009/01/11: Guardian(UK): Gaza conflict will shake the Arab world -- Egypt's leadership could be the first hit by shockwaves sent through the neighbourhood by Israel's attacks
- 2009/01/10: UN: UN agency launches 'Operation Lifeline Gaza' to feed thousands of hungry
- 2009/01/10: LetFreedomRain: Israel escalates and so do Anti-Semitism accusations
- 2009/01/07: Guardian(UK): How Israel brought Gaza to the brink of humanitarian catastrophe
Oxford professor of international relations Avi Shlaim served in the Israeli army and has never questioned the state's legitimacy. But its merciless assault on Gaza has led him to devastating conclusions
[...] This brief review of Israel's record over the past four decades makes it difficult to resist the conclusion that it has become a rogue state with "an utterly unscrupulous set of leaders". A rogue state habitually violates international law, possesses weapons of mass destruction and practises terrorism - the use of violence against civilians for political purposes. Israel fulfils all of these three criteria; the cap fits and it must wear it. Israel's real aim is not peaceful coexistence with its Palestinian neighbours but military domination.
- 2009/01/02: EmpireBurlesque: A Word on Hatred From the Angry Arab
- 2009/01/05: EmpireBurlesque: Fallujah by the Sea: Aping America, Israel Unleashes Chemical Weapons in Gaza
- 2009/01/06: EmpireBurlesque: Gazing at Gaza's Destruction: Israelis Sip Pepsi, US Progressives See 'Silver Lining'
- 2009/01/07: EmpireBurlesque: Crying, Lying and Shooting: A Rogue State Laid Bare
- 2009/01/09: EmpireBurlesque: Moloch's Altar: Child Sacrifice and the War on Terror
- 2009/01/11: CBC: Protests over Israel's Gaza offensive held in Canadian, world cities
- 2009/01/11: BBC: Gaza hit by new Israeli strikes -- Three Palestinians have been killed and dozens more injured by new Israel tank fire and air strikes on the Gaza Strip, medical sources say
- 2009/01/11: Guardian(UK): Leading British Jews call on Israel to halt 'horror' of Gaza
- 2009/01/11: Guardian(UK): Gaza diary - Fida Qishta -- 'We love the sun. So we sat outside to see the F16s bombing Rafah'
- 2009/01/11: Guardian(UK): Why Israel's war is driven by fear
Outrage at Israeli actions has mounted across the world as the Gaza conflict goes on. But as Israel expands its military action, support for the aggressive strategy is growing, while sympathy for Palestinians is receding. And, with an election looming, political attitudes are hardening
- 2009/01/11: Guardian(UK): How can this happen before our eyes? As a British Muslim, it is so frustrating that no one seems to understand our anger
- 2009/01/11: Guardian(UK): How Gaza is alienating Britain's Jews and Muslims
- 2009/01/10: Guardian(UK): Israel to step up assault on Hamas
- 2009/01/10: Guardian(UK): Winning the media war...Israel has proved a master of networking. Shame it's being used to promote a bloody conflict
- 2009/01/11: Guardian(UK): Violence erupts at embassy protest
- 2009/01/10: Guardian(UK): Thousands march in London protesting Israeli attacks in Gaza
- 2009/01/10: Guardian(UK): Does the world have the appetite to prosecute Israel for war crimes in Gaza?
- 2009/01/10: CNN: Hamas rocket team leader [Amir Mansi] killed, Israel says
- 2009/01/10: CCurrents: Children Of Gaza, Run To The Angels
- 2009/01/10: CCurrents: The UN Security Council Has Failed To Stop Massive Israeli War Crimes In Gaza
- 2009/01/10: CCurrents: Gaza: A Cry For Justice
- 2009/01/10: CCurrents: Is Israel Winning The 'Media War' Over Gaza?
- 2009/01/10: CCurrents: Eye Witnesses In The War On Gaza
- 2009/01/09: CCurrents: The Brutal Face Of Israel’s "Total War" On Gaza
- 2009/01/09: CCurrents: Too Much To Mourn In Gaza
- 2009/01/09: CCurrents: An Unnecessary War [Jimmy Carter]
- 2009/01/09: CCurrents: US Weaponry Facilitates Killings In Gaza
- 2009/01/09: CCurrents: Testimony: Nowhere Is Safe From Israel's Bombing [B'Tselem]
- 2009/01/09: CCurrents: Criticism Of Israel's War Crimes Mounts
- 2009/01/09: CCurrents: US Senate Endorses Israel's War On Gaza
- 2009/01/08: CCurrents: Death Toll 710, 3200 Injured In Gaza
- 2009/01/08: CCurrents: Gaza Under Fire
- 2009/01/08: CCurrents: Watching The War On BBC
- 2009/01/08: CCurrents: Of Israel, Gaza, Grief, And Victimhood
- 2009/01/10: at-Largely: Israel, War Crimes, and Shame...
- 2009/01/06: LA Times: Hamas speaks -- A Hamas official insists that a 'legacy of suffering' under Israel is what fuels Palestinian resistance.
- 2009/01/06: CD: Canada issues statement on Gaza
- 2009/01/05: CD: Musician Brian Eno: Stealing Gaza
It’s a tragedy that the Israelis - a people who must understand better than almost anybody the horrors of oppression - are now acting as oppressors. As the great Jewish writer Primo Levi once remarked “Everybody has their Jews, and for the Israelis it’s the Palestinians”. By creating a middle Eastern version of the Warsaw ghetto they are recapitulating their own history as though they’ve forgotten it. And by trying to paint an equivalence between the Palestinians - with their homemade rockets and stone-throwing teenagers - and themselves - with one of the most sophisticated military machines in the world - they sacrifice all credibility.
- 2009/01/08: CJR: War of the Words -- How descriptions of Hamas shape our understanding of the Gaza conflict
- 2009/01/08: CJR: What the Red Cross Sees, the Media Still Can’t -- Red Cross statement on Gaza conditions underscores lack of media access
- 2009/01/06: PRWatch: The Holes in Israel's Web 2.0 Propaganda
- 2009/01/10: HuffPo: Israel in Gaza: Three Wrong Arguments
- 2009/01/10: RustyIdols: Everybody knows -- myths of Israel and the Palestinians
- 2009/01/06: DJID: The Monstrosity of War
- 2009/01/09: McClatchyDC: U.N. wants to know if war crimes were committed in Gaza
- 2009/01/09: OLJ: The Old Testament and the genocide in Gaza
- 2009/01/09: OLJ: The Gaza Ghetto uprising
- 2009/01/09: OLJ: Gaza: What ‘moral clarity’?
- 2009/01/09: OLJ: Gaza: The prison-house of truth
- 2009/01/10: BBC: UK protesters call for Gaza peace -- Thousands of demonstrators have marched through London to call for an immediate ceasefire in the conflict in Gaza
- 2009/01/10: BBC: Israel warns Gaza of escalation -- Israel has dropped leaflets on the Gaza Strip warning residents that it is to escalate its military action
- 2009/01/10: CBC: Israel warns of escalation in offensive against Hamas in Gaza
- 2009/01/10: ChronicleHerald: Our harmful one-sidedness on Israeli-Palestinian issue
- 2009/01/10: TStar: Why Canada backs Israel over Gaza
- 2009/01/10: AP: Israel tells Gazans to brace for war escalation
- 2009/01/10: Guardian(UK): Enough. It's time for a boycott
The best way to end the bloody occupation is to target Israel with the kind of movement that ended apartheid in South Africa
- 2009/01/10: Guardian(UK): Ban on foreign journalists skews coverage of conflict
- 2009/01/10: Guardian(UK): More than 260 children killed
- 2009/01/10: Guardian(UK): The week of horror -- 'Some were decapitated. My cousin and his son died in front of me'
- 2009/01/10: Guardian(UK): UN human rights chief accuses Israel of war crimes
- 2009/01/09: Guardian(UK): Ideology v diplomacy in Washington
- 2009/01/10: Guardian(UK): US abstention stuns security council
A UN resolution calling for an end to the fighting in Gaza was weakened at the last minute by a surprise US abstention, it emerged yesterday.
- 2009/01/09: CNN: Israel killed civilians at shelter, witnesses say -- Israel kills 30 civilians at shelter, witnesses tell U.N.
Israeli sources denied it ordered civilians moved "from one building into another" - Red Cross uncharacteristically says Israel failed to abide by humanitarian law -
Children, wounded taken to ambulances on a donkey cart, Red Cross says - U.N. says it's not casting blame; it's unsure if U.N., Red Cross reports are the same
- 2009/01/09: Reuters: US Senate supports Israel's Gaza incursion -- The chamber agreed on a voice vote to the non-binding resolution...
- 2009/01/07: Nation: Israel: Boycott, Divest, Sanction
- 2009/01/09: DtPB: Descendents of the Holocaust now committing the same crime
- 2009/01/09: BBC: UN ceasefire call goes unheeded
Israel is to keep up its offensive in the Gaza Strip despite a UN call for an immediate end to nearly two weeks of conflict involving Hamas militants.
- 2009/01/09: CBC: Gaza offensive will continue despite UN call for ceasefire: Israel
- 2009/01/09: G&M: Gaza violence rages despite UN ceasefire call
- 2009/01/08: Star(My): UN agrees to hold special session
- 2009/01/08: Prensa: UN General Assembly to Tackle Gaza Aggression
- 2009/01/08: WaPo: An Unnecessary War by Jimmy Carter
I know from personal involvement that the devastating invasion of Gaza by Israel could easily have been avoided.
- 2009/01/08: AP: UN Security Council calls for Gaza cease-fire
- 2009/01/09: BBC: The UN Security Council has passed a resolution urging an immediate ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, with the US alone abstaining
- 2009/01/09: Guardian(UK): Why Israel is united -- Disdain for the tactics and ideology of Hamas has led to wide support for the Gaza operation
- 2009/01/09: Guardian(UK): Israel accused of delaying medical access to injured
- 2009/01/08: Guardian(UK): Talking to Hamas is a step toward peace
- 2009/01/08: Guardian(UK): Israel criticised after 'shocking' discovery of exhausted children
Red Cross finds children next to bodies of their mothers - UN suspends aid shipments after truck driver is killed
- 2009/01/09: Guardian(UK): US abstains as UN security council backs Israel-Gaza ceasefire resolution
- 2009/01/08: Guardian(UK): Obama camp 'prepared to talk to Hamas'
Incoming administration will abandon Bush's isolation of Islamist group to initiate low-level diplomacy, say transition sources
- 2009/01/08: UN: Major UN agency suspends Gaza relief operations after Israeli strike kills driver
- 2009/01/08: CRG: War and Natural Gas: The Israeli Invasion and Gaza's Offshore Gas Fields
- 2009/01/08: GNN: War and Natural Gas: The Israeli Invasion and Gaza's Offshore Gas Fields
- 2009/01/04: Pen&Sword: Children of a Lesser Allah
- 2009/01/05: IPSNews: Bush Plan Eliminated Obstacle to Gaza Assault
Until mid-2007, there was a serious political obstacle to a massive conventional war by Israel against Hamas in Gaza: the fact that Hamas had won free and fair elections for the Palestinian parliament and was still the leading faction in a fully legitimate government.
But the George W. Bush administration helped Israel eliminate that obstacle by deliberately provoking Hamas to seize power in Gaza. That plan was aimed at getting Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas to dissolve the democratically elected Hamas government -- something Bush had tried unsuccessfully to do for many months.
- 2009/01/07: Pen&Sword: The Unchosen People
- WRMEA: U.S. Financial Aid To Israel: Figures, Facts, and Impact
- 2008/01/10: WRMEA: US Aid: The Lifeblood of Occupation
- 2009/01/08: ThinkP: Engel: Israel waiting until Obama’s inauguration to let reporters into Gaza, when ‘viewers simply won’t care.’
- 2009/01/08: TGBeaver: Vatican cardinal : Gaza "a big concentration camp"
- 2009/01/08: OLJ: Are propagandists reading from the same script?
- 2009/01/08: OLJ: An open letter to Israel
- 2009/01/08: OLJ: Living on borrowed time in a stolen land
- 2009/01/08: OLJ: Gaza catastrophe: Resource conflict?
- 2009/01/08: Xinhuanet: Rockets hit N Israel from Lebanon, Israel returns fire
- 2009/01/08: CBC: UN halts aid to Gaza, citing Israeli attacks on staff
- 2009/01/08: CBC: [48?] Canadians leave Gaza for safety
- 2009/01/08: G&M: UN halts all aid deliveries to Gaza [after Israel attacks its staff and installations]
- 2009/01/08: al Jazeera: UN 'to convene assembly over Gaza'
- 2009/01/08: BBC: Israel bombs Gaza into the night
- 2009/01/08: SMH: Shocking cynicism of a poisoned homeland
- 2009/01/08: Guardian(UK): Gaza conflict fuelling anger in UK, Muslims warn Brown
- 2009/01/08: Guardian(UK): Medical teams find 'unbelievable' horror amid rubble
- 2009/01/08: Guardian(UK): Israel and the west will pay a price for Gaza's bloodbath
- 2009/01/08: Guardian(UK): [Letters] No justification for this wanton destruction
- 2009/01/07: Guardian(UK): Obama breaks his silence on Gaza
The president-elect may be concerned, but his public statements have shown less and less sympathy for the Palestinians
- 2009/01/05: Times(UK): Israel rains fire on Gaza with phosphorus shells
- 2009/01/07: CCurrents: Two Schools Housing Refugees Shelled In Bloodied Gaza
- 2009/01/07: CCurrents: Day 11 Of Israeli War On Gaza -- Death toll 620, injured 3000 and most of them Civilians
- 2009/01/07: CCurrents: Israel’s Aim: To Make The Gazan Prison Even More Secure
- 2009/01/07: CCurrents: The Quartet's Hypocrisy And Failure In Occupied Palestine
- 2009/01/06: CCurrents: 89 Children And 30 Women Amongst Gaza's Dead
- 2009/01/06: CCurrents: Day 10 Of Israeli War On Gaza
- 2009/01/06: CCurrents: Israel Rains Fire On Gaza With Phosphorus Shells
- 2009/01/06: CCurrents: Fallujah By The Sea: Aping America, Israel Unleashes Chemical Weapons In Gaza
- 2009/01/06: CCurrents: The Degree Of US Responsibility In Gaza Bloodbath
- 2009/01/06: CCurrents: In The US, Gaza Is A Different War
- 2009/01/06: CCurrents: Holocaust In Gaza
- 2009/01/06: CCurrents: Fact And Law Checking The Wall Street Journal And Alan Dershowitz
- 2009/01/06: CCurrents: Picking Up The Pieces In Gaza
- 2009/01/07: CSM: Deepening Israeli assault on Hamas divides Arab world
Israeli forces struck two United Nations schools in the Gaza Strip on Tuesday, killing at least 34 people, as international call for an immediate cease-fire grew
- 2009/01/06: Google:AP: Venezuela expels Israeli ambassador over Gaza
- 2009/01/07: DVoice: Israel’s Aim: To Make the Gazan Prison Even More Secure
- 2009/01/07: POGGE: Department of tiresome memes: Gaza withdrawal edition
- 2009/01/05: DerSpiegel: [Boutros Boutros-Ghali Interview] 'Israel Has a Habit of Closing its Eyes to Hard Facts'
The Israeli military strike in Gaza will have "unforeseeable consequences" for the region, warns former UN Secretary-General Boutros Boutros-Ghali. In an interview with SPIEGEL ONLINE, he discusses the short-sightedness of Israeli politicians, Egypt's role and his muted hopes for peace.
- 2009/01/06: uComics: Mr. Netanyahu and Ms Livni Debate Electoral Issues
- 2009/01/06: CSM: A rush to broker peace in Gaza -- Absent more forceful US role, others make frantic bid to halt fighting
- 2009/01/05: Rabble: They hate us for our bombs
- 2009/01/05: CDreams: Independent(UK): Keeping Out The Cameras and Reporters Simply Doesn't Work
- 2009/01/06: HellUpsideDown: Ignore That Shooting You Hear In The Background Because It's Only Real When A Journalist Says So
- 2009/01/06: TMoS: Future Hamas Terrorists Pre-Empted by Israel
- 2009/01/06: POGGE: On precision targeting -- 40 Palestinians killed in IDF strike on UN school
- 2009/01/05: JWN: Israel's pathetic psy-ops
- 2009/01/05: JWN: Crisis Group on Gaza-Israel: Okay, not great
- 2009/01/06: OLJ: Israel’s slaughter of innocent Palestinians is morally outrageous
- 2009/01/06: OLJ: The American puppet state
- 2009/01/06: OLJ: Israel takes major hit on foreign relations
- 2009/01/06: OLJ: Top 5 lies about Israel’s assault on Gaza
- 2009/01/06: OLJ: Rome’s Jewish chairman inadvertently exposes Zionist trick!
- 2009/01/05: OLJ: Gaza and the world: Will things ever change?
- 2009/01/05: OLJ: What became of Western morality?
- 2009/01/05: OLJ: Israel and the Palestinian Territories
- 2009/01/05: OLJ: Gaza in perspective
- 2009/01/06: CBC: Death toll mounts [to 550+ kiled, 2,500+ wounded] as fighting in Gaza intensifies -- Civilians killed at UN shelters, say health officials
- 2009/01/06: CBC: Canadians expected to remain in Gaza another day
- 2009/01/06: WpgSun: Israel hits UN school, nears major Gaza towns
- 2009/01/06: Asia Times: A setback for Obama's plans
- 2009/01/06: Asia Times: Hamas looks to Hezbollah's inspiration
- 2009/01/06: Guardian(UK): This brutality will never break our will to be free [Khalid Mish'al]
- 2009/01/06: Guardian(UK): Deal to admit journalists aborted -- Israel argues...foreign journalists are unethical and biased in their reporting
- 2009/01/06: Guardian(UK): Civilian toll soars as troops and tanks press into Gaza
- 2009/01/06: Guardian(UK): Israelis deny using phosphorus
- 2009/01/06: Guardian(UK): Besieged families flee homes for shelter under UN flag
- 2009/01/06: Guardian(UK): Israel looks to drive out Hamas
- 2009/01/05: CSM: Israel's Gaza surge -- The invasion has yet to reveal if Israel plans to end Hamas or just its rocket capability
- 2009/01/05: CSM: France's tireless Sarkozy strides into Middle East -- The French president starts a Mideast tour Monday. Can he broker an end to another major crisis?
- 2009/01/05: CSM: How Israel, Hamas define victory in Gaza
Israel has hit at hundreds of targets across Gaza but has not seriously damaged Hamas's fighting force, which continued to fire rockets on southern Israel on Sunday.
- 2009/01/04: Reuters: Politics, diplomacy behind Obama's Gaza silence
- 2009/01/05: Reuters: Gaza battle stretches into night despite truce calls
- 2009/01/05: FPB: Sarko's diplomatic roadshow comes to Gaza
- 2009/01/02: TPR: U.N. Secretary General Says Israeli Settlements 'Illegal'
- 2009/01/04: TP:WonkRoom: Worse Outcomes Than A Strengthened Hamas
- 2009/01/05: TP:WonkRoom: Does John Bolton Recognize Palestine’s ‘Right To Exist’?
- 2009/01/04: ThinkP: Reports suggest Israeli forces using cluster bombs in Gaza
- 2009/01/05: ThinkP: Perino: Ground Invasion Will Help ‘Create A More Stable And Secure Area’ For People Of Gaza
- 2009/01/06: NYT: Israel Drives Deeper Into Gaza, Rebuffing Diplomatic Efforts
- 2009/01/05: NYT: Europe Sends Two Missions to Promote a Cease-Fire
- InGaza (blog)
- 2009/01/05: CtC: "Sitting next to a dead or dying person is becoming normal"
- 2009/01/05: LeDaro: Gaza: An Explosion for World Peace
- 2009/01/05: ScottsDiatribe: The Middle East morass and its side-effects of muzzling opinions
- 2009/01/05: CtC: Open Letter from Anti-Zionist Jewish Youth
- 2009/01/05: SwissInfo: ICRC medical team allowed to enter Gaza Strip
- 2009/01/05: NationalJournal: Is Israel A Strategic Liability For The United States?
- 2009/01/02: SST: Flash! US announces its demands at Gaza!
- 2009/01/03: SST: Showdown in Gaza
- 2009/01/04: SST: Questions on Gaza
- 2009/01/05: SST: "Is Israel a Worthwhile Ally?" National Journal
- 2009/01/05: ChinaDaily: Israeli troops and tanks slice deep into Gaza
- 2009/01/05: BBC: Casualties rise in Gaza offensive
Casualties have been pouring into over-stretched hospitals in the Gaza Strip as Israel presses on with its offensive against Palestinian militant groups
- 2009/01/05: CBC: Safety cited in halting plan to take stranded Canadians into Israel
- 2009/01/05: CBC: Gaza offensive, calls for ceasefire intensify -- Residents of Gaza City left without power, telephone lines
- 2009/01/05: Times(UK): It breaks my heart to see Israel's stupidity [by Rabbi Michael Lerner]
It has a right to respond to attacks, but will not achieve its ultimate aim - peace - until it stops thinking in military terms
- 2009/01/04: al Jazeera: Israel's fait accompli in Gaza
- 2009/01/04: AngryBear: The Tragedy of Gaza and The Testing of Obama
- 2009/01/05: BBC: Envoys race to halt Gaza carnage
Intense diplomatic efforts are under way to try to secure a ceasefire in Gaza as the Israeli ground assault against Hamas militants rolls on.
- 2009/01/04: Guardian(UK): Israel incursion into Gaza replays well-worn blueprint -- Plan is to get Hamas to end rocket attacks and agree lasting ceasefire, but strategy has failed before
- 2009/01/05: Guardian(UK): 'There were shells, rockets everywhere'
- 2009/01/05: Guardian(UK): Struggle for self-defence and the struggle for Palestinian primacy
- 2009/01/05: Guardian(UK): Hardliners play well to electorate but history shows that the rockets keep on coming - Former head of Mossad says talking to the enemy is the only answer
- 2009/01/05: Guardian(UK): Tanks, rockets, death and terror: a civilian catastrophe unfolding
Incessant bombardment, no electricity, no water, and the hospitals full to overflowing - how Gaza was torn apart
- 2009/01/05: Guardian(UK): Thousands flee guns and shells as Israel tightens grip on Gaza
Gaza City surrounded as territory is effectively divided - Palestinian death toll rises by over 40 and Israeli soldier killed - Hamas continues attacks with 30 rockets launched over border
- 2009/01/05: Guardian(UK): Israel military keeps wary eye on northern border [with Lebanon]
- 2009/01/05: Guardian(UK): Our spirit will not die
Here in Gaza, we citizens are starving and battling for survival. How can this possibly advance peace?
- 2009/01/05: Guardian(UK): Israel has yet to learn the US lesson, that the war on terror was a failure
Americans now realise that aggression fuels extremism. This offers Obama the chance for a new Middle East policy
- 2009/01/04: CNN: Israeli forces push deeper into Gaza; death toll rises
At least 24 Palestinians have been killed in Gaza Sunday, sources say - Israeli troops take over part of northern Gaza, Palestinian sources say -
IDF: Missiles hit 45 Hamas locations, including Hamas intelligence building - 30 Israeli soldiers have been wounded, 2 seriously, according to IDF
- 2009/01/03: TMoS: Delusions of Peace
- 2009/01/04: BBC: Israeli troops clash with Hamas
- 2009/01/04: CBC: Israeli ground forces push deep into Gaza
- 2009/01/03: CBC: Worldwide protests urge end to attacks on Gaza
- 2009/01/04: OttawaSun: A mess in the making -- The punishment of Gaza will only guarantee further attacks on Israel
- 2009/01/03: DailyStar: Israel has no real strategy to deal with Hamas
- 2009/01/02: al Jazeera: Gaza war diary: Al Jazeera detained -- Israel holds Al Jazeera crew for four hours for filming in closed military zone
- 2009/01/04: al Jazeera: Hamas in the eyes of an expert [Khaled Hroub]
- 2009/01/04: al Jazeera: Deaths as Israel hits Gaza mosque
- 2009/01/04: al Jazeera: Israeli ground troops enter Gaza
- 2008/12/31: al Jazeera: Obama's Gaza silence condemned
- 2009/01/03: Guardian(UK): Do Israel pilots feel happy killing innocent women and children?
- 2009/01/04: Guardian(UK): As its troops march in, again Israel looks to its military past
- 2009/01/04: Guardian(UK): How the pro-Israel lobby in Britain benefits from [Poju Zabludowicz] a generous London tycoon
- 2009/01/04: Guardian(UK): Why Israel went to war in Gaza
'Are you a target if you voted for Hamas?' Last night Israel sent its ground forces across the border into Gaza as it escalated its brutal assault on Hamas. As a large-scale invasion of the Palestinian territory appears to be getting under way, Chris McGreal reports from Jerusalem on Israel's hidden strategy to persuade the world of the justice of its cause in its battle with a bitter ideological foe
- 2009/01/03: Guardian(UK): Israeli troops cross border into Gaza
- 2009/01/03: Guardian(UK): Israel fires artillery shells into Gaza
- 2009/01/04: Guardian(UK): Israel launches assault across Gaza's borders
- 2009/01/03: CNN: Israeli ground troops enter Gaza
Death toll in Gaza rises to 460 - Incursion's aim is to halt Hamas rockets, not regime change, spokesman says -
Hamas spokesman: "Gaza will be your cemetery" - Top U.S. military leaders knew in advance of Israel's plans to enter Gaza
- 2009/01/03: UN: Security Council calls emergency meeting as Israeli forces enter Gaza
- 2009/01/03: CCurrents: Obama's Deadly Silence
- 2009/01/03: CCurrents: Letter To Bush On Gaza Crisis by Ralph Nader
- 2009/01/03: CCurrents: Day 7 of Israeli Agression On Gaza
- 2009/01/03: CCurrents: In Gaza, Targeting A Nation
- 2009/01/03: CCurrents: Israel's Righteous Fury And Its Victims In Gaza
- 2009/01/03: CCurrents: Israel Violates International Humanitarian Law
- 2009/01/03: CCurrents: The Politics Of Israeli Extermination Campaign
- 2009/01/03: CCurrents: Blaming The Victims - The Dominant Media Vilify Hamas
- 2009/01/02: CCurrents: A Better World Must Start From Gaza
- 2009/01/02: CCurrents: More Suffocating Bombings Claim Lives Of Children, Women
- 2009/01/02: CCurrents: The Real Goal Of The Slaughter In Gaza
- 2009/01/02: CCurrents: The Day That Changed The Middle East
- 2009/01/02: CCurrents: If Hamas Did Not Exist
- 2009/01/02: CCurrents: Shiv'a In Gaza: December 2008
- 2009/01/02: CCurrents: Gaza And Hamas: A One-Way Street
- 2009/01/02: CCurrents: Gaza; Israel’s Butchering Block
- 2009/01/03: FPB: Israel is all tactics and no strategy
- 2009/01/03: BastardLogic: A Violent Collision Between Rhetoric and Reality
- 2009/01/03: LetFreedomRain: I'm tired of the Anti-Semite accusations instead of discussion
- 2009/01/03: McClatchyDC: Israel sends troops into Gaza, raising stakes in Hamas fight
- 2009/01/03: ChinaDaily: Hamas warns it is ready to confront Gaza invasion
- 2009/01/03: DailyIndia: US gives green signal to Israel to launch ground invasion of Gaza
- 2009/01/02: DerSpiegel: The World from Berlin - 'Hamas Has Not Been Weakened'
- 2009/01/02: DerSpiegel: [Meir Shalev interview] 'Even the Left Was in Favor of Striking Hamas'
An operation against Hamas was necessary -- but a war aimed at eliminating the Palestinian radical group is irresponsible, says Israeli author Meir Shalev in an interview with Spiegel Online. Israel, he says, needs to find a political solution through negotiations.
- 2009/01/03: BBC: Israeli ground troops have started to enter the Gaza Strip, Israeli military officials have confirmed, a week after the offensive against Hamas began
- 2009/01/03: CBC: Israeli ground forces enter Gaza
- 2009/01/03: G&M: Israeli ground force enters Gaza
- 2009/01/03: SMH: Incursion in November was the last straw
Israel's global PR machine has worked well to have many of the world's leaders accept that Hamas should be blamed entirely for the horror of this last week. As always, the reality of the Middle East is murkier than the diplomatic spin would have us believe.
- 2009/01/03: Guardian(UK): [Letters] Palestinian self-determination is the real issue
- 2009/01/03: Guardian(UK): Factional divide rules out show of solidarity from the West Bank
- 2009/01/03: Guardian(UK): Israel has plenty of tactics for war, but none for peace
- 2009/01/02: UN: Gaza conflict threatens regional peace and stability, UN official cautions
- 2009/01/02: WaPo: Israel Launches Fresh [aerial] Attacks in Seventh Day of Fighting
- 2009/01/01: LA Times: Israel can't bomb its way to peace
The assault on Gaza has more to do with internal politics than its national security. The U.S. needs to reengage forcefully in a Mideast peace process.
- 2009/01/01: TPMCafe: Israeli Professor in Washington Post: War Is "Unnecessary, Cruel and Cynical"
- 2009/01/02: ThinkP: White House, Israel Reject Conclusion Of Aid Groups That Humanitarian Crisis Exists In Gaza
- 2009/01/02: LeDaro: The Tragic War in the Middle East
- 2009/01/02: TGBeaver: Statistics - Gaza/Israel by the numbers
- 2009/01/01: OLJ: The truth about those Hamas rockets
- 2009/01/01: OLJ: Gaza cries for united Arab action
- 2009/01/01: OLJ: Israel is America’s hands
- 2009/01/01: OLJ: Another massacre in the ongoing Israeli-Palestinian conflict
- 2009/01/01: OLJ: Don’t fall for Israeli propaganda
- 2009/01/01: OLJ: UN Resolution 1850 is Bush’s farewell gift
- 2009/01/02: BBC: A Danish man of Palestinian origin has been arrested on suspicion of shooting and wounding two Israeli salesmen at a shopping centre in Odense in Denmark
- 2009/01/02: BBC: Gaza facing 'critical emergency' -- The UN has warned that Palestinians in Gaza are facing a serious health and food crisis, as Israeli air strikes continued for a seventh day
- 2009/01/02: CBC: Foreign passport holders exit Gaza
- 2009/01/02: OttawaSun: Palestine all alone again
It's time we stopped playing games and faced the truth: Despite the crocodile tears being shed about the bloodbath going on in Gaza, the political leadership of the West has cut the Palestinians loose.
The corollaries to that? There will be no peace process, if by that one means negotiations that will actually lead to the end of Israel's illegal occupation of Palestinian lands. There will just be the peace-process industry to keep alive the diplomatic fiction that something is happening. Someone will sell lots of guns and bombs.
- 2009/01/01: McClatchyDC: Rejecting truce, Olmert vows 'iron fist' against Hamas
- al Jazeera: War on Gaza
- 2009/01/02: SMH: Monitors in Gaza or no truce, Israel demands
Israel has demanded international monitors as a key term of any truce with Gaza Strip militants, as its planes bombed the parliament building in Gaza City and its ships attacked coastline positions of the territory's Islamic Hamas rulers.
International agreement to set up such a force would give Israel a way to end its devastating, six-day-old offensive against Hamas, even as thousands of Israeli ground troops massed along the border in anticipation of a possible land invasion.
- 2009/01/02: Guardian(UK): [Letters] Humanitarian crisis set for catastrophe
- 2009/01/02: Guardian(UK): An alliance of values -- While governments stand mute, Muslims must unite with the majority to resist the violence done to Gaza
- 2009/01/02: Guardian(UK): Special spin body gets media on message, says Israel
- 2009/01/02: Guardian(UK): War and peace: Israel's military and political options
- 2009/01/02: Guardian(UK): Israeli bomb kills Hamas leader and six of his family
- 2009/01/01: Guardian(UK): Hamas leader killed in Israeli airstrike -- Nizar Rayyan and his family die in raid on home as Israel rejects calls for a ceasefire
- 2009/01/01: Guardian(UK): Gaza attacks continue as UN calls for ceasefire
- 2009/01/01: Guardian(UK): Israel rejects ceasefire as warplanes attack government buildings in Gaza
- 2009/01/02: Dorigo: Stop the bombs!
- 2009/01/01: uComics: (cartoon - Danziger) Israeli Bombs
- 2009/01/01: DVoice: Hamas Cannot Be Defeated, So It Must Be Brought to Heel -- The Real Goal of the Slaughter in Gaza
- 2009/01/01: DVoice: Pardon our Dust: Israel’s PR Campaign for Gaza
- 2009/01/01: DVoice: Keep Your Eye on the Ball; This Is Not about Rockets
- 2008/12/31: McClatchyDC: What helped the rise of Hamas? U.S., Israel policies, turns out
- 2009/01/01: Xinhuanet: Palestinian official: Israeli offensive so far leaves 400 dead, 2,000 wounded
- 2009/01/01: Xinhuanet: UN chief says Gaza conflict must end
- 2009/01/01: CBC: Israeli air strike kills senior Hamas member [Nizar Rayan]
- 2009/01/01: LRB: If Gaza falls . . .
- 2009/01/01: Guardian(UK): Israel rejects ceasefire move as divisions emerge in leadership
- 2009/01/01: Guardian(UK): 'Eight civilians killed' in surgical strike on truck
- 2009/01/01: Guardian(UK): There's no place that's safe -- Reem al-Naraib, 32, a Christian Aid-supported worker at the Women's Affairs Centre in north Gaza
- 2009/01/01: Guardian(UK): Defiant Hamas launches new rockets deeper into Israel
- 2009/01/01: Guardian(UK): Saudis blame Hamas amid calls for talks with Fatah
- 2009/01/01: Guardian(UK): Food shortages send prices through roof after farmers are forced to abandon their fields
- 2009/01/01: Guardian(UK): The illusion of victory -- If Hamas is destroyed, a more radical group will replace it. Israel's security depends on wiser action
- --December 2008--
- 2008/12/30: DerSpiegel: Egypt in Quandary as Gaza Raids Divide the Muslim World
- 2008/12/28: Rabble: Israeli slaughter, international culpability
- 2008/12/28: Guardian(UK): Israeli missile strikes on Gaza and the Palestinian response (55 pictures)
- 2008/12/31: Yahoo: Hamas must stop firing rockets as first step: White House
- 2008/12/31: Yahoo: Israel rejects truce call, pursues bombing Gaza
- 2008/12/31: CBC: Food, medicine, fuel needed in Gaza, agencies warn
- 2008/12/29: TheState: Israel stifles free press covering Gaza
- 2008/12/31: CensoredNews: Cynthia McKinney's account of attack on Free Gaza ship
- 2008/12/31: WorldReport: "Cyntha McKinney's account of attack on Free Gaza ship," Brenda Norrell at Censored News, December 30, 2008
- 2008/12/31: WorldReport: Yossi Alpher, "Limited strategic objectives," BitterLemons, December 29, 2008
[...] ...neither Israel nor anyone else has a long-term workable strategy for dealing with Hamas in Gaza
- 2008/12/31: WorldReport: Ghassan Khatib, "War crimes in Gaza put PA in awkward place," BitterLemons, December 29, 2008
- 2008/12/31: Guardian(UK): Israel ordered to let international media into Gaza
- 2008/12/31: Guardian(UK): Not their war -- Israeli media coverage of the Gaza onslaught has largely ignored the protests by peace activists
- 2008/12/31: Guardian(UK): Israel rejects Gaza ceasefire -- Prime minister tells security cabinet that military operation will not end until all goals are achieved
- 2008/12/31: Guardian(UK): Rewrite the script -- The US should help negotiate a Gaza ceasefire consistent with American, Israeli and Palestinian security interests
- 2008/12/31: Guardian(UK): Israel rejects ceasefire move as divisions emerge in leadership
- 2008/12/31: CRG: An Israeli War Crimes Tribunal (ICTI) May be the Only Deterrent to a Global War by Francis A. Boyle
- Free Gaza
- 2008/12/29: Guardian(UK): The dire cost of domestic rivalries
Israel seems more concerned with electoral politics and restoring its military reputation than stopping the Qassam rockets
- 2008/12/30: GazaToday: Escalation goes on, more Israeli air raids kill more civilians
- Gaza Today
- 2008/12/31: CCurrents: Gaza Carnage Continues; Death Toll Rises To 390
- 2008/12/31: CCurrents: Israel Attacks Peace Ship
- 2008/12/31: CCurrents: From The Ashes Of Gaza
- 2008/12/31: CCurrents: Americans Should Act To End Violence Against Gaza
- 2008/12/31: CCurrents: Arab Connivance In The Gaza Massacre
- 2008/12/31: CCurrents: Gaza And The World
- 2008/12/31: CCurrents: Israel Is America's Hands
- 2008/12/31: CCurrents: Who Wins What In Gaza?
- 2008/12/30: CCurrents: Gaza: Plan Of Attack
- 2008/12/30: CCurrents: Gaza Carnage:345 Dead And Counting
- 2008/12/30: CCurrents: Why Would Israel Bomb A University?
- 2008/12/30: CCurrents: Slowy Dying In A Useless Listening In Gaza
- 2008/12/30: CCurrents: Israeli Electioneering With Bombs
- 2008/12/30: CCurrents: Jewish Terrorism
- 2008/12/30: CCurrents: Mr Mubarak, Tear Down That Wall!
- 2008/12/30: CCurrents: We Have No Words Left
- 2008/12/30: CCurrents: The Dogs Of War
- 2008/12/30: CCurrents: Leaders Lie, Civilians Die, And Lessons Of History Are Ignored
- 2008/12/30: CCurrents: A Hundred Eyes For An Eye
- 2008/12/30: CCurrents: May We No Longer Be Silent
- 2008/12/29: CCurrents: Gaza: The Carnage Continues
- 2008/12/29: CCurrents: The Longest Night Of My Life
- 2008/12/29: CCurrents: Gaza Today: This Is Only The Beginning
- 2008/12/29: CCurrents: Guernica In Gaza
- 2008/12/29: CCurrents: Gaza Carnage Sets West Bank Aflame
- 2008/12/29: CCurrents: The Hanukkah Massacres
- 2008/12/29: CCurrents: Israel's Wanton Aggression On Gaza
- 2008/12/29: CCurrents: The World In Hostage -- The tepid response of world leaders to Israel’s ferocious attack...
- 2008/12/29: CCurrents: Massacre In Gaza: The Paradox Of Peace
- 2008/12/29: TruthDig: Leaders Lie, Civilians Die, and Lessons of History Are Ignored
- 2008/12/31: DerSpiegel: Is Israel Repeating Mistakes of the Past?
Israel has promised a "war to the bitter end." Yet history is full of examples showing that battling an organization like Hamas is almost futile. It is a lesson Israel learned just two short years ago.
- 2008/12/31: CBC: Israeli air attacks resume after ceasefire proposal rejected -- Air strikes continue to pound Gaza
- 2008/12/31: AntiWar: Israel Rejects ‘Unrealistic’ Gaza Truce, Continues Attacks -- No Such Thing as a Humanitarian Ceasefire, Olmert Aide Insists
- 2008/12/31: Guardian(UK): [Letters] Growing horror at the bloodletting in Gaza
- 2008/12/31: Guardian(UK): Shortages put hospitals on the brink of collapse
- 2008/12/31: Guardian(UK): Al-Jazeera sees off satellite rivals
Millions of Arabs across the Middle East and north Africa are watching vivid and often shocking coverage of the Israeli military onslaught on Hamas in the Gaza Strip on Arabic satellite TV channels, with al-Jazeera again leading the field.
Al-Jazeera, based in Qatar, has four correspondents in Gaza and its bulletins are broadcasting graphic images that would never find their way on to western TV screens.
- 2008/12/30: Guardian(UK): Israel accused of ramming Gaza aid boat
- 2008/12/30: uComics: (cartoon - Toles) A Presidency Is...
- 2008/12/29: CDreams: McClatchy: Analysis: 'I Don't See How This Ends Well' in Gaza
- 2008/12/29: TWN: View From a Palestinian Leader: Palestine's Guernica and the Myths of Israeli Victimhood
- 2008/12/30: JCurran: Gaza Nothing but a Turkey Shoot
- 2008/12/30: DtPB: Israel: "the region's bully"
- 2008/12/30: TMoS: Stopping the Gaza Slaughter
- 2008/12/30: OLJ: Israel’s subjugation of the Palestinians must end now
- 2008/12/30: OLJ: World leaders respond timidly to Israeli attacks on defenseless Gaza
- 2008/12/30: OLJ: May we no longer be silent
- 2008/12/30: OLJ: Eine kleine nacht murder: How Israeli leaders kill for their people’s votes
- 2008/12/30: CBC: Air strikes first phase of Israeli attack on Gaza: Olmert
- 2008/12/30: TStar: Facilitating a turkey shoot
On Israel's 60th anniversary last April, Prime Minister Stephen Harper promised Canada's "unshakable" support for Israel.
At the time, this struck me as odd. It would be understandable for a prime minister to offer Canada's "unshakable" support for principles -- democracy, the rule of law, human rights, etc. But for a country? A country is led by a government, and a government is always fallible. Why would Canada promise its unqualified support for any country?
Such unqualified support is particularly problematic when the country is locked in a bitter struggle with millions of people whose land it has held under military occupation for more than forty years.
- 2008/12/29: AJC: McKinney relief boat hit by Israeli ship
A boat carrying international activists, including former Georgia congresswoman Cynthia McKinney, and medical supplies to the embattled Gaza Strip sailed back into a Lebanese port on Tuesday after being turned back and damaged by the Israeli navy, organizers of the trip said.
- 2008/12/30: BBC: Israeli jets have attacked the Gaza Strip for a fourth day, with raids on a number of Hamas government buildings and security installations
- 2008/12/30: Guardian(UK): Gaza tactics and long-term goals divide Israeli military analysts
- 2008/12/30: Guardian(UK): [Letters] Gaza - another chapter in this painful struggle
- 2008/12/30: Guardian(UK): Israel's onslaught on Gaza is a crime that cannot succeed
The US-backed attempt to bring Hamas to heel by overwhelming force is in fact more likely to boost the movement's appeal
- 2008/12/30: Guardian(UK): Islamists urge pro-western regimes to act
- 2008/12/29: Guardian(UK): The new (more extreme) Likud
- 2008/12/29: Guardian(UK): Israel says its army is fighting war to the bitter end against Hamas
- 2008/12/29: Guardian(UK): Western-backed Arab governments under pressure as Israel continues Gaza strikes
- 2008/12/29: Guardian(UK): Gaza: the logic of colonial power
As so often, the term 'terrorism' has proved a rhetorical smokescreen under cover of which the strong crush the weak
- 2008/12/29: CSM: Beyond bombs and rockets in Gaza -- Israel and Hamas need help looking beyond their immediate concerns
- 2008/12/29: CSM: Gaza: Why Israel and Hamas are trading rocket fire -- Both sides are maneuvering for another ceasefire, and Israeli troops are not likely to invade the Gaza strip, say analysts.
- 2008/12/29: FAS:SN: Hamas and Israel: Conflicting Strategies
- 2008/12/28: PRWatch: One-sided View of Gaza Attacks Predominates in US Media
- 2008/12/28: TLC: The Israel-Palestine Problem: The Quest for a Political Solution
- 2008/12/29: BCLSB: The Real Issue...
...with the Israeli response to Hamas rocket attacks does not lie in considerations of proportionality. It lies in the fact that none of the strategies under contemplation going forward will have any effect on anything beyond the shortest of short terms.
- 2008/12/28: SST: "Peace for Ashkalon?"
- 2008/12/29: BBC: Israel vows war on Hamas in Gaza
Top Israeli officials have vowed to continue attacks on militant group Hamas, as Israeli air strikes pounded the Gaza Strip for a third day.
Israel was fighting a "war to the bitter end" against Hamas, its defence chief said. A top army official said no Hamas buildings would be left standing.
Hamas says at least 312 Palestinians have died since Saturday. A second Israeli has been killed by a rocket.
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has called for an immediate ceasefire
- 2008/12/29: CBC: Israel pounds Hamas targets in 3rd day of offensive
- 2008/12/28: ObsidianWings: An Eye For An Eye Makes The Whole World Blind
- 2008/12/28: BBC: Thousands of people in the Arab world have attended rallies to express anger at Israel's air raids on the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip
- 2008/12/29: BBC: Israeli air force jets have bombed the Islamic University in the Gaza Strip, a significant cultural symbol for Hamas
- 2008/12/29: Guardian(UK): Eye witness - 'The injured were lying there asking God to let them die'
Fikr Shaltoot is a programme coordinator for Medical Aid for Palestinians, a British non-governmental organisation that provides medical supplies in Gaza
- 2008/12/29: Guardian(UK): We have no words left -- Palestinians are at a loss to describe this latest catastrophe. International civil society must act now
- 2008/12/29: Guardian(UK): Middle East reaction -- Thousands of protesters in streets
- 2008/12/29: Guardian(UK): Hospitals crisis -- 'There's a strong likelihood that people are dying needlessly'
- 2008/12/29: Guardian(UK): Hamas - Defiant leaders dismiss calls to reinstate ceasefire
- 2008/12/29: Guardian(UK): Civilian death toll rises after second day of air strikes -- 300 killed, 600 injured
- 2008/12/29: Guardian(UK): Killing a two-state solution -- A hammer blow is intended to terrorise and that is exactly what Israel did
- 2008/12/29: Guardian(UK): Six months of secret planning - then Israel moves against Hamas
- 2008/12/29: Guardian(UK): Israel considers ground attack as it mobilises more troops -- Olmert: fighting in Gaza will be 'long and painful'
- 2008/12/28: BBC: Israel set for prolonged Gaza op
Israel says it will widen its attacks on Hamas if necessary to stop the Palestinian militant group firing rockets from the Gaza Strip.
Israeli F-16 bombers hit targets across the Gaza Strip on Saturday, killing at least 227 people, local medics say.
- 2008/12/28: Guardian(UK): To be in Gaza is to be trapped
- 2008/12/28: Guardian(UK): World reaction
- 2008/12/28: Guardian(UK): Attacks are only going to strengthen hand of Hamas
- 2008/12/28: Guardian(UK): 'There is a time for calm ... now is the time to fight'
- 2008/12/27: Guardian(UK): Air strikes in Gaza kill 225 as Israel targets Hamas
- 2008/12/27: CNN: Israel vows to keep up Gaza attacks
PM says Israel ready for "burden" of attacks, wants to avoid harming civilians - Death toll in air raids climbs to 205; Palestinians say 110 hospitalized -
White House urges Hamas to stop attacks, Israel to avoid hitting civilians - One Israeli killed in rocket attack reported by Hamas military wing, sources say
- 2008/12/26: CCurrents: Gaza's Hunger
- 2008/12/26: CCurrents: No Bread In Gaza
- 2008/12/27: McClatchyDC: Israel lauches air assault on Gaza, killing more than 200
- 2008/12/27: BBC: Massive Israeli air raids on Gaza
Israeli F-16 bombers have pounded key targets across the Gaza Strip, killing more than 200 people, local medics say.
Most of those killed were policemen in the Hamas militant movement, which controls Gaza, but women and children also died, the Gaza officials said.
About 700 others were wounded, as missiles struck security compounds and militant bases, the officials said.
- 2008/12/27: CBC: Israel launches air strikes on Gaza, killing 200
- 2008/12/27: G&M: At least 205 dead as Israeli warplanes pound Gaza Strip
- 2008/12/27: Guardian(UK): Israeli far right gains ground as Gaza rockets fuel tension
- 2008/12/26: CBC: Israel reopens Gaza border for humanitarian aid ahead of expected incursion
- 2008/12/23: LRB: If Gaza falls . . .
Israel’s siege of Gaza began on 5 November, the day after an Israeli attack inside the strip, no doubt designed
finally to undermine the truce between Israel and Hamas established last June. Although both sides had violated
the agreement before, this incursion was on a different scale. Hamas responded by firing rockets into Israel and
the violence has not abated since then. Israel’s siege has two fundamental goals. One is to ensure that the
Palestinians there are seen merely as a humanitarian problem, beggars who have no political identity and therefore
can have no political claims. The second is to foist Gaza onto Egypt. That is why the Israelis tolerate the
hundreds of tunnels between Gaza and Egypt around which an informal but increasingly regulated commercial sector
has begun to form. The overwhelming majority of Gazans are impoverished and officially 49.1 per cent are unemployed.
In fact the prospect of steady employment is rapidly disappearing for the majority of the population.
- 2008/12/24: EmpireBurlesque: Christmas 2008: Hell in the Holy Land
- 2008/12/25: BBC: Israeli leaders have issued stern warnings to Palestinian militant group Hamas to stop rocket attacks on Israel
- 2008/12/24: CCurrents: Nazi Israel ... Indeed
- 2008/12/24: CCurrents: Obama v. Richard Falk On Israel And Occupied Palestine
- 2008/12/24: BBC: Gaza rocket fire follows shooting
Palestinian militants in Gaza have fired mortars and rockets into southern Israel, without causing any injuries.
The Islamist militant group, Hamas, said the attack was in retaliation for three of their men being killed by Israeli forces on Tuesday.
- 2008/12/22: UN: No supplies getting through as Gaza crossings remain closed - UN
- 2008/12/22: BBC: Israeli leaders 'to topple Hamas'
The two leading candidates to become Israel's next prime minister have vowed if elected to topple the Palestinian Islamist movement, Hamas, in Gaza.
The threats by Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni and Likud party leader Binyamin Netanyahu came after PM Ehud Olmert warned against making bold statements.
- 2008/12/22: Guardian(UK): Gaza near to collapse as Israel tightens grip, says bank
- 2008/12/20: CCurrents: Gaza: The Untold Story
- 2008/12/20: BBC: A Palestinian militant has been killed in an Israeli strike on the Gaza strip
- 2008/12/20: BBC: Eerie crossing into Gaza -- The crossings from Israel into Gaza have been closed much more than they have been open recently
- 2008/12/20: AntiWar: Upsetting the Balance of Power
- 2008/12/19: Guardian(UK): My expulsion from Israel [Richard Falk] When I arrived in Israel as a UN representative I knew there might be problems at the airport. And there were
- 2008/12/20: Guardian(UK): Rockets fired as Gaza truce ends
- 2008/12/19: CBC: Hamas declares end to six-month truce with Israel
- 2008/12/18: CBC: Truce with Israel in Gaza 'over': Hamas officials
- 2008/12/17: FPB: The last days of the Gaza truce
- 2008/12/18: BBC: Tough talk as Gazans face truce end
- 2008/12/18: BBC: Palestinian militant groups in Gaza say they are not expecting a six-month ceasefire with Israel which expires on Friday to be renewed
- 2008/12/16: CSM: Israel's coming test for Obama -- He must be alert to bullying by Israel's likely next prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu.
- 2008/12/16: UN: Israel’s detention of UN expert ‘unprecedented’ -- rights chief
- 2008/12/16: AntiWar: Will Obama End Pay-to-Play in Mideast Policy?
- 2008/12/16: AntiWar: Israel's 'Get Out of Jail Free' Card
- 2008/12/16: SMH: Israel prepares to attack Gaza
Israeli military officials are preparing for an offensive against Palestinian militants in Gaza if talks to extend a fragile six-month ceasefire with Hamas fail.
- 2008/12/16: Guardian(UK): Israel deports American academic [Richard Falk]
Israel has refused entry to the controversial Jewish American academic and UN envoy, Richard Falk who once compared Israel's treatment of Palestinians to the Nazis' treatment of Jews.
- 2008/12/15: FPB: Settler population growing three times faster than rest of Israel
- 2008/12/15: TruthDig: Israel Blocks U.N. Envoy at Airport
- 2008/12/15: TruthDig: Israel’s ‘Crime Against Humanity’
- 2008/12/10: AntiWar: The Pragmatism of Ethnic Cleansing
- 2008/12/09: BBC: Hawks dominate Likud party vote -- Israel's right-of-centre Likud party has elected a list of candidates dominated by hardliners for next February's general election
- 2008/12/03: CCurrents: A Peace Process That Makes Peace Impossible
- 2008/12/01: WaPo: Libyan ship carrying Gaza supplies ordered back
The Israeli navy on Monday turned away a Libyan ship heading to Gaza with 3,000 tons of humanitarian aid, ending the most high-profile effort yet to break a blockade of the Hamas-ruled territory.
Last modified September 18, 2011