For reasons of size more than anything, I have divided this file
into roughly First and Second Terms.
- 2014/03/07: AntiWar: Nukes Now: Obama Worse Than Reagan
- 2014/02/27: NatJo: Obama Will Never End the War on Terror
The president stands to leave an open-ended conflict to his successor.
- 2014/03/06: Guardian(UK): Ukraine crisis: Obama says Crimea referendum would 'violate international law' - live
- 2014/03/03: CCurrents: Heard The One About Obama Denouncing A Breach Of International Law?
- 2014/03/03: CCurrents: Obama's Far Right Foreign Policy
- 2014/02/28: Asia Times: The Clark Kent president
- 2014/02/27: CDreams: The Five Commandments of Barack Obama -- How "Thou Shalt Not" Became "Thou Shalt"
- 2014/02/26: BAR: Freedom Rider: America vs. the World
President Obama has placed whole nations on his Kill List. Syria and Venezuela are to join Libya and Iraq as states that have been made to fail, while Ukraine is snatched into the NATO-EU orbit. "The neo-conservative project for a new American century has reached full fruition under a Democratic president, who now has many notches on his gun."
- 2014/02/26: BAR: Obama’s War Against Civilization
The U.S. is in a frenzy of regime-changing aggression, aimed at destabilizing or destroying sovereign states. Obama’s signature is written in blood around the world, as he pursues "full spectrum, no-holds-barred, war-without-boundaries against all potential resistance to U.S. imperial rule, anywhere on the planet."
- 2014/02/25: CCurrents: Barack Obama: International Democracy Destroyer And Fascism Supporter
- 2014/02/20: SST: BHO will grovel in Riyadh
- 2014/02/15: IndiaTimes: Obama threatens new pressure on Assad regime
- 2014/02/10: DemNow: Report: Obama Administration Considers Assassinating Another American Overseas
- 2014/02/11: NatInt: Obama's Liberal Imperialism
- 2014/02/10: AntiWar: Officials: Obama Mulls Assassinating Another US Citizen -- Officials Won't Say Who He Is or Where He Is
- 2014/02/10: CNN: Source: U.S. debating targeted killing of American terror suspect overseas
The Obama administration is in high-level discussions about staging an operation to kill an American citizen involved with al Qaeda and suspected of plotting attacks against the United States, a senior U.S. official tells CNN.
- 2014/02/08: WSWS: Obama hails dismal jobs report, signs bill to slash food stamps
- 2014/02/06: Reuters: U.S. policy change on Cuba stalled - by Obama
U.S. relations with Cuba are at their best in almost two decades, but President Barack Obama seems unwilling or unable to confront a well-organized anti-Cuba lobby and push for further progress.
- 2014/01/26: LA Times: Obama's NSA blind spot
The president has no right to sit on the sidelines waiting for the Supreme Court to tell him what the Constitution means.
- 2014/02/01: WSWS: Obama’s plan for long-term jobless: A teaspoon to bail out the ocean
- 2014/01/31: AntiWar: Obama, the Reluctant Realist -- With emphasis on the reluctance
- 2014/01/31: WSWS: Obama’s low-wage "recovery"
- 2014/01/29: DemNow: "A Silent Coup": Jeremy Scahill & Bob Herbert on Corporate, Military Interests Shaping Obama’s SOTU
- 2014/01/29: DemNow: "Dirty Wars" Filmmaker Jeremy Scahill on the "Drone President" & Obama’s Whitewashing of NSA Spying
- 2014/01/28: AntiWar: Obama’s Muddled Foreign Policy Message Buried in State of the Union -- Little Content and a Lot of Recycled Rhetoric
- 2014/01/28: Guardian(UK): State of the Union address 2014 – full text of President Obama's remarks
The complete text of President Barack Obama's State of the Union address as prepared for delivery to the House chamber
- 2014/01/29: WSWS: Obama administration announces new deal with tech companies on NSA spying
- 2014/01/29: al Jazeera: Obama calls for shift from war to diplomacy
The US president devoted a surprising amount of his State of the Union speech to a less interventionist foreign policy.
- 2014/01/29: al Jazeera: NSA and Obama: Yes, We Can
Why is President Obama so permissive with regard to excesses of US intelligence apparatus?
- 2014/01/29: Asia Times: The Roving Eye - The real State of the Union
- 2014/01/25: Guardian(UK): Contrary to Obama's promises, the US military still permits torture
The Obama administration has replaced the use of brutal torture techniques with those that emphasize psychological torture
- 2014/01/20: WashEx: Obama reveals himself as a champion of the surveillance state
- 2014/01/22: uComics: (cartoon - Rall) Obama's New "Free Trade Agreement"
- 2014/01/21: FAIR: Erasing Obama's Record on the Afghan War
- 2014/01/21: AntiWar: Obama Refuses to Repeal AUMF, Keeps US On ‘Perpetual War Footing’
- 2014/01/20: uComics: (cartoon - Auth) Obama Clips The NSA
- 2014/01/18: WSWS: Obama defends police state spying
- 2014/01/17: Guardian(UK): President Obama's speech on NSA surveillance reforms - full text
- 2014/01/17: uComics: (cartoon - Rall) Determined To Adhere To His Policy Of Disappointing Us, Obama Announces His NSA Reforms
- 2014/01/16: WSWS: Obama’s NSA "reform" defends illegal spying
- 2014/01/10: WSWS: Obama’s phony campaign against inequality
- 2014/01/06: SST: Escobar on Obama's bad year. RT.com
- 2014/01/03: CBC: Can Obama dig himself out after the Obamacare plummet?
- 2013/12/31: Guardian(UK): President Obama claims the NSA has never abused its authority. That's false
- 2013/12/30: uComics: (cartoon - Rall) NDAA-2014 signed into law
- 2013/12/27: Salon: Obama signs NDAA 2014, indefinite detention remains
- 2013/12/26: Guardian(UK): Obama's annus horribilis: things can only get better
- 2013/12/23: AntiWar: CBO: Obama Nuke Plan to Cost $355 Billion -- One Year After Unveiling, Scheme $150 Billion Over Budget
- 2013/12/23: WSWS: Obama pushes program to turn public schools over to corporations
- 2013/12/21: NYT: White House Tries to Prevent Judge From Ruling on Surveillance Efforts
The Obama administration moved late Friday to prevent a federal judge in California from ruling on the constitutionality of warrantless surveillance programs authorized during the Bush administration, telling a court that recent disclosures about National Security Agency spying were not enough to undermine its claim that litigating the case would jeopardize state secrets.
- 2013/12/20: Grist: Obama’s green record: Some small victories, one gaping flop
- 2013/12/20: Guardian(UK): Barack Obama rejects claims 2013 has been worst year of his presidency
- 2013/12/20: Guardian(UK): 2013 in review: Obama talks climate change -- but pushes fracking
Global warming stopped being political poison, but the fracking and coal export boom continued, says Suzanne Goldenberg
- 2013/12/19: uComics: (cartoon - Rall) 21st Century Leadership
- 2013/12/14: RT: CIA probe into Bay of Pigs should be kept secret - Obama admin
- 2013/12/14: CSM: 'Lie of the Year': Why Obama's healthcare claim is a 'winner'
- 2013/12/10: TruthDig: How History Will Remember Obama (Hint: Not Well)
- 2013/12/13: uComics: (cartoon - Rall) Why Do You Hate Obama?
- 2013/12/11: CCurrents: Obama Administration Lied On Syria Gas Attack, Alleges Seymour Hersh
- 2013/12/06: EmptyWheel: Obama: My Overseas Spying Not Constrained by the Law I Passed as Senator
- 2013/12/05: WSWS: Obama postures as an opponent of inequality
In typical fashion, Obama decried the growth of inequality in America as though he were an innocent bystander and had absolutely no role in the process he was criticizing. The most remarkable aspect of the speech was the contempt for the intelligence of the American people it expressed.
- 2013/12/04: Guardian(UK): Obama: income inequality is 'defining challenge of our time' - live
- 2013/11/23: CBC: Woman accused of mailing ricin to Obama gets plea deal
- 2013/11/22: FDL: Obama Admin Claims To Support Cellphone Unlocking But TPP Leak Shows Opposite
- 2013/11/19: RT: ‘Retract Peace Prize’: Russian NGOs blast Obama over ‘killing people’ confession
- 2013/11/13: AngryBear: Philippine Typhoon Haiyan survivors 'desperate' for aid
- 2013/11/13: RT: ‘Untrustworthy and dishonest’: Obama's popularity hits all time low
- 2013/11/11: uComics: (cartoon - Rall) Turnkey Totalitarianism
- 2013/11/07: NakedCapitalism: Obama Wants to Cut Social Security
- 2013/11/07: uComics: (cartoon - Rall) The Admission
- 2013/11/06: FDL: Obama Administration May Be Guilty Of War Crimes
- 2013/11/06: WSWS: Obama administration pledges to continue illegal spying programs
- 2013/11/04: Asia Times: Obama, the offshore balancer
- 2013/11/01: RT: Why Vladimir rules and Obama bombs
- 2013/10/31: TruthDig: (cartoon - Anderson) In The Dark
- 2013/11/01: Asia Times: How Obama created endless war on terror by Jeremy Scahill
- 2013/10/21: MoA: Obamacare Meets Brooks' Law
- 2013/10/24: CCurrents: Drone Island In The East River
The primary problem with weaponized drones is that the weapons murder people. And they murder people in a way that looks more like murder to a lot of observers than other forms of military murder do -- such as murder by indiscriminate bombing or artillery or infantry or dropping white phosphorous on people. When President Obama looks through a list of men, women, and children at a Tuesday terror meeting, and picks which ones to murder, and has them murdered, you can call it a war or not call it a war, but it begins to look to a lot of people like murder.
- 2013/10/24: Guardian(UK): Obama left increasingly isolated as anger builds among key US allies
Merkel the latest to rebuke Washington over NSA spying while US relationships in the Middle East are also unravelling
- 2013/10/16: RawStory: The Obama administration doesn’t want the Supreme Court to look at NSA spying
- 2013/10/17: FDL: President Obama Bashes Bloggers Then Shills For Monsanto
- 2013/10/16: CDreams: Obama Admin Tries to Block Supreme Court Review of NSA Spying
- 2013/10/14: ProPublica: In Big Win for Defense Industry, Obama Rolls Back Limits on Arms Exports
Critics, including some who’ve worked on enforcing arms export laws, say the changes could undermine efforts to prevent arms smuggling to Iran and others.
- 2013/10/15: WSWS: Obama backs Detroit bankruptcy
- 2013/10/10: FDL: How Obama Administration-Controlled Media Is Used to Avoid Scrutiny from the Press
- 2013/10/11: ACLU: Freezing the Press
- 2013/10/11: DemNow: Worse Than Nixon? Committee to Protect Journalists Warns About Obama Crackdown on Press Freedom
- 2013/10/10: Guardian(UK):GG: Committee to Protect Journalists issues scathing report on Obama administration
Obama's anti-press measures 'are the most aggressive I've seen since the Nixon administration'
- 2013/10/10: Guardian(UK): Obama's efforts to control leaks 'most aggressive since Nixon', report finds
Administration's tactics, which include using Espionage Act to pursue leakers, have had chilling effect on accountability - study
- 2013/10/10: CPJ: The Obama Administration and the Press -- Leak investigations and surveillance in post-9/11 America
- 2013/10/10: CDreams: Committee to Protect Journalists Issues Scathing Report on Obama Administration
- 2013/10/10: CDreams: Exposed: How the 'Closed, Control Freak' Obama Admin. is Waging War on Journalism
- 2013/10/09: Guardian(UK): More than jihadism or Iran, China's role in Africa is Obama's obsession
- 2013/10/08: AntiWar: Obama Swaps ‘Black Sites’ for ‘Justice at Sea’
- 2013/10/07: FDL: Obama’s Rendition Operation in Libya: It’s Like President George W. Bush Got a Fourth Term
- 2013/10/06: TruthOut: Noam Chomsky: The Obama Doctrine
- 2013/10/07: Rediff:B: Obama digs in on Iran, Afghanistan by M K Bhadrakumar
- 2013/10/01: AntiWar: Obama Waives Ban on Sending Military Aid to Countries With Child Soldiers
- 2013/09/24: SST: Transcript of Obama's General Assembly speech
- 2013/09/25: CCurrents: Obama At The UN: A Defense Of Unilateral Aggression
- 2013/09/25: CCurrents: Top 45 Lies In Obama's Speech At The U.N.
- 2013/09/26: WSWS: Obama’s UN speech and the crisis in US policy
- 2013/09/26: Asia Times: Obama at the UN -- Hapless superpower and wandering minstrel by M K Bhadrakumar
- 2013/09/25: CDreams: What Obama Didn't Say in His UN Speech
- 2013/09/25: AntiWar: Obama’s New Victory in War on Freedom of the Press
There’s something profoundly despicable about a Justice Department that would brazenly violate the First and Fourth Amendments while spying on journalists, then claim to be reassessing such policies after an avalanche of criticism – and then proceed, as it did this week, to gloat that those policies made possible a long prison sentence for a journalistic source.
Welcome to the Obama Justice Department.
- 2013/09/24: AntiWar: Obama: America ‘Exceptional’ Because of All the Wars -- Demands UN Resolution Calling for Syria Attack
- 2013/09/25: WSWS: Obama at the UN: A defense of unilateral aggression
- 2013/09/25: Asia Times: The Roving Eye - Rouhani surfs the new WAVE
Here, Trita Parsi, president of the National Iranian American Council, makes an extremely important point. Timing - by a series of circumstances - may be perfect, but the window of opportunity is not going to last very long.
It all comes back to the same drama; will Obama and his team have enough balls to stare down the Israel lobby, the House of Saud, the neo-cons and assorted armchair warmongers across the Beltway? If not, the War Party victory will mirror the anti-Rouhani hardline victory in Tehran - with devastating consequences.
- 2013/09/17: FDL: Obama Bypasses Terrorism Rule To Give Weapons To Syrian Rebels
- 2013/09/17: RT: Yes, we can: Obama waives anti-terrorism provisions to arm Syrian rebels
- 2013/09/17: WSWS: On fifth anniversary of Wall Street crash, Obama tries the Big Lie technique
[...] With breathtaking cynicism -- and contempt for the intelligence of the American people -- Obama presented himself as single-mindedly focused on "my number one priority since the day I took office": fighting for the so-called "middle class."
- 2013/09/13: NakedCapitalism: Obama’s Exceptionally Weird Speech on Syria
- 2013/09/14: JamiolsWorld: (cartoon - Jamiol) Jamiol's World 'toon
- 2013/09/13: CCurrents: Obama's September 10 Speech On Syria : More Lies For War From The Liar - In-Chief
- 2013/09/13: CDreams: The Threat to Attack Syria Is STILL Illegal
Continued claims by the Obama administration that it has the "authority" to bomb Syria subverts the rule of law at home and abroad
- 2013/09/12: TMoS: Cornel West Denounces His Former Friend, Barack Obama
- 2013/09/09: TruthDig: Cornel West and the Fight to Save the Black Prophetic Tradition
- 2013/09/11: CDreams: The 5 Most Ludicrous War Claims in Obama’s Syria Speech
- 2013/09/10: BBC: Obama Syria speech: Full text
- 2013/09/09: CCurrents: Obama: Shrewd or Just Stupid?
- 2013/09/09: Reuters: Analysis: Obama growing isolated on Syria as support wanes
- 2013/09/09: Guardian(UK): Obama's rogue state tramples over every law it demands others uphold
For 67 years the US has pursued its own interests at the expense of global justice - no wonder people are sceptical now
- 2013/09/09: Asia Times: The Roving Eye - The (farcical) emperor is naked
- 2013/09/07: WaPo: Obama administration had restrictions on NSA reversed in 2011
- 2013/09/05: MoA: Obama's (In-)Credibility Campaign
- 2013/09/09: WSWS: Obama Administration had secret court overturn ban on domestic spying
In 2011, the Obama Administration had a secret surveillance court authorize the collection of domestic emails and phone calls, the Washington Post reported Sunday, citing recently declassified documents.
- 2013/09/06: McClatchyDC: Obama’s talk on Syria ‘red line’ was spin, analysts say
President Barack Obama’s statement earlier this week that he wasn’t the one who’d set a red line against chemical weapons in Syria caught Washington by surprise and lit up the Web and social media. It was no accident.
Obama’s shifting language -- from apparently declaring a red line to saying it was one the world demanded -- is part of a strategy designed to take the focus off the president as he presses reluctant U.S. lawmakers and world leaders...
- 2013/09/06: AntiWar: Obama Might Defy Congressional ‘No’ Vote, Attack Syria Anyhow
- 2013/09/06: al Jazeera: Syria isn't Iraq, but the similarities outweigh the differences
The US public has a firmer grasp of history than does Washington's elites.
In today's world, a tweet can tell you everything you need to know, given the proper context. Such was the case when former Bush administration spokesman Ari Fleisher tweeted on September 1: "Once again, I support POTUS. Drone strikes, indefinite detention, NSA program and on the limited Syria strike, I'd vote yes."
Fleisher's tweet shows just how faithfully Obama has continued Bush's defining policy agenda. On the domestic side, one could easily add that making all but a tiny fraction of Bush's tax cuts permanent was a prime indication that the continuity is not just limited to foreign affairs.
- 2013/09/06: CDreams: At G20, Push For War Isolates Obama From World Leaders
- 2013/09/05: CCurrents: Nobel Peace Prize Winner And War Criminal?
- 2013/09/05: SAR: If only...
- 2013/09/05: CDreams: Obama Cites International Law to Justify War, Disregards When It Serves Peace
- 2013/09/05: Guardian(UK): Obama's 'pass the buck' policy on Syria
The president has sacrificed coherent strategy against Assad for political expediency. Leading from behind never looked weaker
- 2013/09/04: AntiWar: Still Lying: Obama Tells Europe NSA Isn’t ‘Snooping’ on Them
- 2013/09/04: BBC: Syria crisis: Obama says world's credibility on the line
- 2013/09/04: Guardian(UK): Obama seeks global backing on Syria: 'I didn't set a red line. The world did'
- 2013/09/04: uComics: (cartoon - Rall) Ask Bug Daddy: Credibility Counts
- 2013/09/01: CDreams: Obama Will Launch a Huge Propaganda Blitz -- and May Attack Syria Even If He Loses the Vote in Congress
- 2013/08/31: BBC: Full text: Obama statement on Syria
- 2013/08/31: BBC: Obama's canny, democratic move
- 2013/08/31: BBC: Obama to seek Congress vote on Syria military action
- 2013/08/31: CBC: Obama to seek congressional approval for Syria strike
- 2013/08/30: CCurrents: Obama May Be Walking Into An Impeachment Trap
- 2013/08/30: CBC: Obama considers unilateral Syria response
- 2013/08/29: IndiaTimes: Barack Obama: Syrian govt carried out chemical attack [no evidence presented]
- 2013/08/29: WSWS: Obama at the Lincoln Memorial -- Fifty years after the March on Washington
- 2013/08/29: al Jazeera: Obama advocates limited strikes in Syria [no evidence presented]
US President says has "concluded" that Syrian government carried out chemical attacks and must face "consequences".
- 2013/08/28: al Jazeera: Attacking Syria is about saving face, not saving lives
- 2013/08/28: CDreams: Does Obama Know He’s Fighting on al-Qa’ida’s Side? [Fisk]
- 2013/08/27: HuffPo: Obama's War of Choice in Syria Isn't Defensive or Humanitarian
- 2013/08/27: CDreams: Obama Pushes for Attack on Syria, But US Media 'Beats the Drums of War'
- 2013/08/27: FDL: Obama Orders Release Of Report Justifying War With Syria
- 2013/08/26: CDreams: Obama Gives Bush "Absolute Immunity" For Everything
- 2013/08/24: BBC: Syria: Cameron and Obama threaten 'serious response'
- 2013/08/24: PLNA: Obama Insists On U.S. Spying Programs
- 2013/08/23: AntiWar: Obama Maintains Pretense of Opposing Syria War as Military Readies Strikes -- Hagel Confirms Obama Requested Options for Attack
- 2013/08/23: WSWS: Obama administration asks Supreme Court to back warrantless cell phone searches
- 2013/08/20: CDreams: Six Questions Journalists Should Ask Barack Obama When He Visits (Enter Your Country Name Here)
- 2013/08/21: FDL: Obama Lied: NSA Scans 75% Of American Internet Traffic
- 2013/08/20: FDL: Obama Administration Petitions Supreme Court For Warrantless Cellphone Search Powers
- 2013/08/20: WSWS: Obama, the secrets of the state, and the persecution of Edward Snowden
- 2013/08/18: PLNA: Egyptian Crisis Shows Obama's Powerlessness in Intl Arena
- 2013/08/17: Guardian(UK): Obama has not delivered on May's promise of transparency on drones
- 2013/08/16: CPunch: Bad Precedent and Bad Faith -- In the Matter of Hedges v. Obama
- 2013/08/16: FDL: Obama Gives Support To Osprey: The Military Boondoggle That Just Won’t Die
- 2013/08/12: Atlantic: The Surveillance Speech: A Low Point in Barack Obama's Presidency
His tone on Friday was inappropriately dismissive, while the substance was misleading at best and mendacious at worst
- 2013/08/09: RT: Obama to Putin: Do as I say, not as I do...
- 2013/08/10: WSWS: Obama’s press conference: The smiling face of a police state
- 2013/08/09: CDreams: Latest NSA Revelations Debunk Obama's "No Spying on Americans" Claim
- 2013/08/08: WSWS: Obama cancels summit, escalates tensions with Russia
- 2013/08/06: RawStory: Obama: ‘We don’t have a domestic spying program’
- 2013/08/07: FDL: Obama Lies to Jay Leno: ‘We Don’t Have A Domestic Spying Program’
- 2013/08/07: flc: "Obama is excellent at setting goals through fine speeches, but is less interested in the executive aspects of making foreign policy work."
- 2013/08/07: DerSpiegel: The Manning Verdict: Obama's Defining Injustice
By using the Espionage Act to punish Bradley Manning, the Obama administration has shown how far it will go to intimidate leakers. His sentencing is a stain on the president's legacy and on America's global reputation.
- 2013/08/07: CBC: Obama cancels Moscow summit with Putin - Move reflects tension over NSA leaker Snowden...
- 2013/08/06: Guardian(UK): Obama's abuse of the Espionage Act is modern-day McCarthyism by John Kiriakou
Shame on this president for persecuting whistleblowers with a legal relic, while administration officials leak with impunity
- 2013/08/06: Rediff:B: Erdogan’s finest hour as Turkey’s reformer by M K Bhadrakumar
- 2013/07/31: BAR: Obama Administration Seeks to Keep Tens of Thousands Imprisoned Under Unfair Crack VS Powder Cocaine Penalties
- 2013/08/05: Guardian(UK): President Obama's disastrous counterterrorism legacy
- 2013/08/05: WSWS: Obama and torture
- 2013/08/01: NakedCapitalism: Obama Starting to Lose It Over Snowden
- 2013/07/30: CSM: Not just Bradley Manning: His case spurs broader crackdown on leaks
[...] In all, seven current or previous government officials or contractors have been charged with espionage for leaking secrets since President Obama took office --- compared with three cases under all prior presidents.
- 2013/07/29: SoS: Obama's Continuing War Against Leakers
- 2013/07/31: WSWS: Obama outlines "grand bargain" to slash corporate taxes
- 2013/07/29: uComics: (cartoon - Rall) Disassociative Political Identity Disorder
- 2013/07/25: Guardian(UK):GG: Democratic establishment unmasked: prime defenders of NSA bulk spying
NYT: "The Obama administration made common cause with the House Republican leadership"
- 2013/07/24: DerSpiegel: War on Whistleblowers: Has Obama Scrapped the First Amendment?
President Obama is cracking down on leakers. Both Edward Snowden and Bradley Manning face prosecution under the Espionage Act, while a New York Times reporter was ordered to reveal his sources or risk jail time. Is Washington turning its back on freedom of the press?
- 2013/07/25: NakedCapitalism: Michael Hudson Shreds Obama’s Orwellian Speech on Middle Class Prosperity
- 2013/07/25: Guardian(UK): All the president's deja-vus
Thursday's speech on the economy was just like all the others -- it sounded great, we got excited, then poof! We moved on
- 2013/07/25: uComics: (cartoon - Rall) If only there were something a President could do...
- 2013/07/23: CDreams: Why US v Blewett is the Obama Justice Department's Greatest Shame
Explain the paradox that the US still jails thousands of African Americans on sentences it admits were unfair? It can't be done
The differential treatment of crack cocaine and powder cocaine by America's criminal "justice" system has been exposed as discriminatory and admitted to be unfair. Yet, the secret nightmare continues...
Last month, President Obama quietly did something that should shake every American to the core. Seeking to enforce federal crack cocaine laws that have since been repealed, the Obama administration asked a federal appeals court to ensure that thousands of human beings, mostly poor and mostly black, remain locked in prison – even though everyone agrees that there is no justification for them to be there.
- 2013/07/20: RT: Judge grills US Justice Department official over drone strikes
A federal judge said she was "really troubled" by the Obama administration’s "disconcerting" position that drone strike decisions are outside the court's competence.
The remarks by US District Court Judge Rosemary M. Collyer were made on Friday during a court hearing concerning the 2011 drone-strike which killed three US citizens in Yemen. The relatives of the dead filed a lawsuit, charging that the attacks violated the US citizens constitutional rights to due process and to be free from groundless detention. The government in its turn filed a motion for the case to be dismissed.
The high-profile case attracted more spectators than the courtroom could accommodate, with some people having to stand throughout the 80-minute-long heated debate between the judge and the government representative over the role of the judicial branch in making drone attack decisions.
- 2013/07/20: Guardian(UK): This week in press freedoms and privacy rights
The travesty calling itself "the Bradley Manning court-martial", the kangaroo tribunal calling itself "the FISA court", and the emptiness of what the Obama DOJ calls "your constitutional rights"
- 2013/07/19: AntiWar: Judge ‘Troubled’ by Obama’s Claim to Be Able to Kill Citizens -- Insists Executive Branch Is Not a Check On Itself
- 2013/07/17: CDreams: Presidential 'Blank Check for War' Wielded Thirty Times, and Counting
Public report fails to account for lethal drones, surveillance, unlimited detention, and other acts of war justified under AUMF [Authorization for the Use of Military Force]
- 2013/07/16: RT: Obama administration drowning in lawsuits filed over NSA surveillance
- 2013/07/16: FAIR: Obama, Like Ike, 'Avoided Military Adventures'? Not Quite
- 2013/07/14: AntiWar: Obama’s Many Middle East Miseries Multiply
- 2013/07/14: Guardian(UK): Meet Gino Strada, unsung hero to the poorest victims of war
The surgeon has carried out 30,000 operations in conflict zones such as Sudan, Cambodia and Afghanistan, mostly on desperate people caught in the crossfire of war. No wonder he has some forthright views on war, healthcare -- and why President Obama oversees a killing machine
- 2013/07/12: CDreams: Panicked Obama Dials Putin After Snowden Appearance
- 2013/07/12: RT: Obama wags the dog over Syria chemical weapons
- 2013/07/07: SaskBoy: PRISM: Obama Didn’t End Illegal Spying, He Extended It
- 2013/07/07: CDreams: How Do You Know When President Obama is Lying? MSNBC Won’t Tell You
- 2013/07/04: FDL: Late Night: Wet Firecrackers
Obama’s laughably misnamed "National Security" team of Bush retreads have been caught, repeatedly, lying to Congress about their promiscuous and ineffective snooping, and the President himself, mere days after dismissively claiming he wasn’t about to “scramble jets” to catch some “29 year old hacker,” did exactly that, making an utter ass of himself (and us) when the jet in question contained not the now-30 year old whistleblower, but one very pissed off Bolivian President.
It’s pretty disheartening, if unintentionally hilarious, when the incessantly ballyhooed watchful eyes for which we spend untold billions turn out to belong to Mr. Magoo.
- 2013/07/06: WSWS: Obama glorifies militarism on the Fourth of July
- 2013/07/05: uComics: (cartoon - Rall) Obama & Snowden
- 2013/07/02: AntiWar: Obama Moves to Militarize and Exploit Africa
- 2013/06/28: HuffPo: Obama Administration, Congress Intensify Opposition To Global Generic Drug Industry
- 2013/06/28: WSWS: Obama in Africa to defend US strategic and profit interests
- 2013/06/26: CCurrents: Presidential Rule By Deception: Obama, The Master Con-man
- 2013/06/25: CCurrents: Pathetic Qualifications Produce Pathetic Presidential Performance
- 2013/06/20: NatInt: Obama and the Failure of the Syria Debate
- 2013/06/17: SST: Obama's approaching humiliation over Syria
- 2013/06/21: NatInt: Machiavelli He Isn't
- 2013/06/17: EmpireBurlesque: Absolving Obama, or The Lamentable Sigh of the Depressed Progressive
- 2013/06/17: al Jazeera: Obama's crackpot realism and the real crime of Edward Snowden
C Wright Mill's concept of 'crackpot realism' helps explain and define Obama's continuity with George Bush's policies.
- 2013/06/19: Guardian(UK): Obama calls for reduction in nuclear arms in broad-brush Berlin speech
- 2013/06/18: NYT: Extending a Hand, Obama Finds a Cold Shoulder Abroad
- 2013/06/16: CCurrents: The Fascist State Of America
President Barack Obama is a profound epic failure, in many ways worse than Über-fascist Bush, just a new black face on the American oil oligarchy’s long history of tyranny and warmongering. What a feeble, sellout, murdering, cynical disappointment Barack Obama has turned out to be. After killing a million Arabs and Muslims, Bush policies continued with vigor under Obama, has the U.S. avenged 9/11 yet? Or does America need to spy, torture, falsely imprison, and wage perma-war for years longer? Perhaps forever?
- 2013/06/16: flc: "The very Sunni-Wahabi Islamists who killed thousands of Americans on 9-11 are going to be allies of Obama!"
- 2013/06/08: InformedComment: We Misunderstood Barack: He only wanted the Domestic Surveillance to be Made Legal, not to End It
- 2013/06/15: Guardian(UK): I have watched Barack Obama transform into the security president
- 2013/06/15: CCurrents: Why Obama Is Declaring War On Syria
- 2013/06/14: CPunch: Why Obama is Declaring War on Syria
"We are going to see a rapid escalation of the conflict", a staffer on the US Senate Foreign Relations Committee emailed this observer: "The president has made a decision to give whatever humanitarian aid, as well as political and diplomatic support to the opposition that in necessary. Additionally direct support to the (Supreme Military Council), will be provided and that includes military support."
- 2013/06/14: flc: "Obama is planning to put arms into the hands of forces that are increasingly indistinguishable from hardcore Jihadists & al Qaeda!"
- 2013/06/15: WSWS: Obama moves to escalate Syrian slaughter
- 2013/06/14: CDreams: Obama Tumbles Down Syria's Slippery Slope
- 2013/06/14: Asia Times: Obama's Monica moment by M K Bhadrakumar
The United States may have administered one of the biggest-ever snubs to the Kremlin in the post-Cold War era with the White House announcement on Thursday that it will provide military support to the Syrian rebels.
All in all, Obama's momentous decision on military intervention in Syria, which could well launch a new Cold War, is a desperate diversionary move when his administration is caught up deep in the cesspool over the Snowden controversy.
The entire moral edifice on which Obama built up his presidency and the values he espoused at the core of his "audacity of hope" when he began his long march to the White House five years ago - transparency, accountability, legitimacy, multilateralism, consensus - lie exposed today as a pack of lies.
- 2013/06/11: CDreams: Obama Cans Regulator Who Crossed Wall Street -- Ouster is a gain for big bankers advocating lax oversight
The Obama Administration is quietly firing Commodity Futures Trading Commission head Gary Gensler, who ran afoul of big banks by pushing for greater government oversight.
- 2013/06/10: NakedCapitalism: Edward Snowden Makes Himself an Even Bigger Problem to the Officialdom
"...Obama’s default strategy, that any problem can be solved by better PR..."
- 2013/06/06: PhillyMag: President Obama’s Betrayal of Civil Liberties Is Complete
- 2013/06/10: WSWS: Obama ordered planning for cyberwarfare first strike
- 2013/06/09: FDL: Obama FCC Chairman Nominee Walking Conflict Of Interest
- 2013/06/08: WSWS: Obama defends massive spying on Americans
- 2013/06/07: Guardian(UK): Obama orders US to draw up overseas target list for cyber-attacks
Top-secret directive steps up offensive cyber capabilities to 'advance US objectives around the world'
- 2013/06/07: RT: 'US desperately trying to hide the truth about breaking its own Constitution'
With new revelations of constant US government spying on citizens’ activities and desperate efforts to hide the truth, Barack Obama is likely to go down in US history as one of the most unconstitutional presidents, says RT contributor Afshin Rattansi.
- 2013/06/07: RT: Obama administration 'took Bush's warrantless surveillance to another level'
- 2013/06/07: RT: Obama weighs in on NSA surveillance programs
- 2013/06/07: BBC: Barack Obama defends US surveillance tactics
President Barack Obama has defended newly revealed US government phone and internet surveillance programmes, saying they are closely overseen by Congress and the courts.
- 2013/06/07: WSWS: Obama administration collecting phone records of tens of millions of Americans
- 2013/06/06: CBC: White House defends collecting phone records
Guardian reports collection from millions of Verizon customers, including calls to outside U.S.
- 2013/06/04: CCurrents: Obama War Criminal? What About Investors, CNN, Clergy, Soldiers, You & I?
- 2013/05/31: RT: [David Remes interview] ‘The things Obama said sounded good, but are just illusion of movement’
President Obama may pledge to finally close Guantanamo’s doors, but all his words are just an illusion, while prisoners are suffering at the notorious detention facility.
- 2013/05/31: CDreams: President Obama Uses a Sledgehammer Against Dissent
From Jeremy Hammond to Bradley Manning and the AP, Obama's 'assault on journalism' is a threat to our democracy
- 2013/05/30: al Jazeera: Poison-laced letter sent to Obama
Secret Service says threatening mail addressed to US president was similar to ricin letter sent to New York mayor.
- 2013/05/30: CDreams: Obama's New FBI Chief Approved Bush's NSA Warrantless Wiretapping Scheme
James Comey becomes just the latest symbol of the Obama legacy: normalizing what was very recently viewed as radical
- 2013/05/30: CDreams: Obama's Imperialism and This "Free-Fire Zone" Called Earth
What Obama's speech last week revealed is that "when a president decides it’s necessary, this planet will remain a global free-fire zone for drones, special operations forces, or whatever else he choses to throw at it."
- 2013/05/30: CDreams: Perpetual War -- and Obama’s Perpetual Con Game
Barack Obama is a master trickster, a shape-shifter, and a methodical liar. The man who has arrogated to himself the right to kill at will, anywhere on the globe, accountable only to himself, based on secret information and classified legal rationales, now says he is determined that Washington’s "perpetual war" must one day end -- sometime in the misty future after he is long gone from office. He informed his global audience of potential victims that he had signed a secret agreement (with himself?) that would limit drone strikes to targets that pose "a continuing, imminent threat to Americans" and cannot be captured -- a policy that his White House has always claimed (falsely) to be operative. He promises to be more merciful than before, "haunted" as he is by all the nameless deaths, although he admits to having done no wrong.
He is a man of boundless introspection, inviting us to ride with him on his wildly spinning moral compass. But, most of all, he is not George Bush -- of that we can be certain, if only because he is younger and oratorically gifted and Black.
- 2013/05/28: Salon: Obama’s dangerous blind spot on national security
- 2013/05/30: BBC: US President Barack Obama plans to name a former justice department official under President George W Bush as the next FBI director, US media report
- 2013/05/28: CCurrents: How Obama and Al-Qaeda Became Syrian Bedfellows
- 2013/05/28: FAIR: Did Obama's Speech Really 'Narrow' the War?
- 2013/05/28: DemNow: Obama Taps Billionaire Fundraiser Penny Pritzker for Commerce Despite Anti-Labor, Subprime Legacy
- 2013/05/29: AntiWar: Doubting Obama’s Resolve to Do Right
- 2013/05/27: CDreams: Obama's Terrorism Speech: Seeing What You Want To See
Some eager-to-believe progressives heralded the speech as a momentous change, but Obama's actions are often quite different than his rhetoric
- 2013/05/25: uComics: (cartoon - Danziger) Collateral Damage
- 2013/05/25: CCurrents: No More Excuses by Witness Against Torture
Anti-Guantanamo Activists Demand that President Obama Make Good on Promise to Restart Transfers and Close Guantanamo; Vow to Keep Pressure on President
- 2013/05/21: NYT:RFD: Government Will Decide What We Can Know
- 2013/05/24: DerSpiegel: Unlikely Heir: Obama Returns to Kissinger's Realpolitik
Henry Kissinger, the hawkish national security advisor to Nixon who popularized realpolitik, turns 90 this week. Few would have expected President Obama to pick up his mantle, but the erstwhile idealist resembles Kissinger more every day.
- 2013/05/24: Guardian(UK): Obama drone oversight proposal prompts concern over 'kill courts'
- 2013/05/23: AntiWar: Obama’s Dodges Hard Truths About War on Terror in Major Speech
- 2013/05/15: SMMercury: Guantánamo:The nation’s and Obama’s shame
- 2013/05/24: WSWS: Obama offers tortured defense of targeted killings
- 2013/05/23: BBC: Barack Obama defends 'just war' using drones
- 2013/05/23: CBC: Obama defends U.S. drone strikes...
- 2013/05/23: Guardian(UK): Obama to bring US drone programme out from 'legal shadows' of the CIA
- 2013/05/23: Guardian(UK): Obama details drone policy in speech outlining counter-terrorism doctrine
- 2013/05/22: ACLU: ACLU Comment on U.S. Admission to Killing Americans in Targeted Killing Program
- 2013/05/19: CCurrents: If Our Re-elected Prez Is WarCriminal, What Are We? King Would Have Asked!
- 2013/05/17: RT: Obama’s media shield law makes prosecuting journalists even easier
- 2013/05/17: DemNow: Obama Worse Than Nixon? Pentagon Papers Attorney Decries AP Phone Probe, Julian Assange Persecution
- 2013/05/17: Guardian(UK):GG: Washington gets explicit: its 'war on terror' is permanent
Senior Obama officials tell the US Senate: the 'war', in limitless form, will continue for 'at least' another decade - or two
- 2013/05/17: Atlantic: The Biggest Obama Scandals Are Proven and Ignored
- 2013/05/16: DerSpiegel: 'Red Line': The Words That Could Force Obama into War
President Obama, usually cautious, has made bold statements on Syria and Iran, but by drawing red lines, he risks being backed into a corner. He could take a lesson from Teddy Roosevelt when it comes to foreign policy.
- 2013/05/17: Guardian(UK): This is not the President Obama we voted for
Candidate Obama promised a different kind of culture in Washington, but it's looking similar to the Bush era
- 2013/05/17: Grist: Draft fed rules would let frackers do whatever they want, but they’re still not happy
For everyone who was hoping the Obama administration’s proposed new rules for natural gas drilling on public lands would make a difference, the just-released new draft amounts to a big "frack you."
- 2013/05/17: CBC: Neil Macdonald: Barack Obama's war on the press
Washington's obsession with leakers has rendered reporters radioactive
- 2013/05/13: CDreams: Cornel West: Obama 'Is a War Criminal'
Despite invoking Dr. King, Obama 'tied to Wall Street and drones,' said West.
- 2013/05/15: Guardian(UK):GG: The major sea change in media discussions of Obama and civil liberties
The controversies over the IRS and especially the AP phone records appear to have long-lasting effects
- 2013/05/14: Salon: No justification for Obama’s war on First Amendment
Secretly obtaining phone records is just the latest in a long line of attacks on whistleblowers and the press
- 2013/05/06: TPR: The Torture Memo Obama Never Rescinded
- 2013/05/09: CDreams: Obama in Plunderland: Down the Corporate Rabbit Hole
The president’s new choices for Commerce secretary and FCC chair underscore how far down the rabbit hole his populist conceits have tumbled. Yet the Obama rhetoric about standing up for working people against “special interests” is as profuse as ever. Would you care for a spot of Kool-Aid at the Mad Hatter’s tea party?
- 2013/05/08: Guardian(UK): Contrary to popular belief, President Obama doesn't have a magic wand
GOP opposition to everything Obama supports is the most important story of the last four years of American politics
- 2013/05/06: WSWS: Obama nominates billionaire backer [Penny Pritzker] as commerce secretary
- 2013/05/03: CCurrents: Is Obama's Guantanamo Proclamation Any More Than A P.R. Stunt?
- 2013/05/02: Guardian(UK): Steve Bell on Barack Obama, Guantánamo Bay and drones - cartoon
- 2013/05/01: uComics: (cartoon - Rall) Children of Mass Murderers Support Group
- 2013/04/30: Guardian(UK): Barack Obama: Guantánamo inmates can't remain in legal limbo - as it happened
- 2013/04/30: Guardian(UK): Obama: Guantánamo prison 'not in the best interests of the American people'
- 2013/04/26: RTCC: Obama’s climate credentials face test at UN talks in Bonn
Negotiators heading to the latest round of UN climate talks in Bonn next week appear quietly confident the US could be ready to re-engage with the multilateral process.
- 2013/04/26: WSWS: Barack Obama pays tribute to George W. Bush at presidential library opening
- 2013/04/22: uComics: (cartoon - Rall) 44 - The True Story of an American Legend
- 2013/04/22: WSWS: Obama administration seeks to sell off Tennessee Valley Authority
- 2013/04/22: WSWS: Obama administration denies Miranda rights to marathon bombing suspect
- 2013/04/21: Guardian(UK): Obama accused of nuclear U-turn as guided weapons plan emerges
Plan to spend $10bn on updating nuclear bombs goes against 2010 pledge not to deploy new weapons...
- 2013/04/18: al Jazeera: Obama's imaginary budget-cut mandate
Budget cuts to Social Security and Medicare have long been on Obama's private agenda, supporters have been in denial.
- 2013/04/17: FDL: Insider Trading By Congress Now Obama’s Legacy
- 2013/04/16: FDL: Obama Signs Law Gutting Insider Trading Regulations For Congress
- 2013/04/15: Guardian(UK):GG: Obama, Guantánamo, and the enduring national shame
One of the most powerful Op-eds ever published in the NYT, by a Yemeni detainee, underscores the president's role in this travesty
- 2013/04/14: SST: Obama is "betting the ranch."
- 2013/04/11: TruthOut: Time to Bell the Obama Cat
- 2013/04/11: JillStein: Obama budget throws American people under the bus, gives the rich a free ride
- 2013/04/11: AlterNet: 10 Facts Obama Doesn't Want You to Know About His Social Security Slashing Budget Plan
- 2013/04/12: WSWS: Obama’s budget
The Obama administration’s budget released on Wednesday is a historic milestone. The Democratic Party administration is taking direct aim at the two core federal social programs established in the United States in the 20th Century, Social Security and Medicare.
- 2013/04/08: FAIR: Cutting Social Security and Medicare? That's the 'Middle'
The new White House budget proposal is getting a lot of attention because it explicitly connects the Obama administration to an agenda that includes cutting Social Security and Medicare benefits.
- 2013/04/08: WSWS: Obama’s second term: a new stage in the social counterrevolution
Only three months into President Barack Obama’s second term, the character of the next four years has been clearly demonstrated in the actions taken so far: an intensification of the social counterrevolution in the United States, the expansion of US militarism, and an unprecedented assault on democratic rights.
The administration’s role as a direct agent of the banks is most clearly expressed in domestic policy. After handing trillions of dollars to the banks, producing soaring stock markets and record profits, the corporate and financial elite is determined to make the working class pay.
- 2013/04/07: EconoSpeak: President Obama Breaks His Promise On Social Security
- 2013/04/05: FDL: Obama Is the Driving Force Behind Cutting Your Social Security
- 2013/04/05: MoA: Obama Destroys The New Deal
- 2013/04/05: NakedCapitalism: Now It’s Official: Obama Sells Catfood Futures, Um, Social Security and Medicare Cuts
- 2013/04/05: FDL: Obama Wants Cuts To Social Security
- 2013/04/05: BBC: Obama 'offering to cut US pensions' for deficit deal
- 2013/04/04: RT: Obama warns making secret court's ruling public could mean 'grave danger'
- 2013/04/03: NakedCapitalism: Like Nixon to China, It Takes a Democrat to Put the First Knife in Social Security
- 2013/04/01: CCurrents: Obama Walks The High Wire, Eyes Closed
- 2013/03/31: CCurrents: Obama’s Peace Antics In Israel – Four More Years Of This?
- 2013/04/01: C&L: The Greatest Disappointment [Obama]
- 2013/03/30: al Jazeera: Obama and America's "Imperial Temptation" in the Middle East
President Obama is replicating the self-damaging policies of his predecessors in a region vital to US interests.
- 2013/03/30: RT: ‘Obama must be thinking he has better things to do than tend to 166 Arabs stuck in Gitmo’
- 2013/03/30: WSWS: Obama, Republicans plot sweeping attack on Medicare
- 2013/03/28: NakedCapitalism: Barack Obama’s Economic Legacy: The Billionaire-Boosting Big Four on His Wish List
- 2013/03/22: RT: White House to argue for GPS tracking without a warrant
- 2013/03/19: Guardian(UK):GG: Pentagon Papers lawyer on Obama, secrecy and press freedoms: 'worse than Nixon'
Career First Amendment and transparency advocate James Goodale sounds the alarm about the current president
- 2013/03/22: WSWS: Obama talks "peace" in Israel while preparing war
- 2013/03/14: NEP: Slate Agrees that Obama’s Vanity Drives the Grand Betrayal -- and Praises the Betrayal
- 2013/03/15: CCurrents: Are We All Idiot Dolts?
- 2013/03/14: Guardian(UK):GG: Obama's secrecy fixation causing Sunshine Week implosion
Even the most loyal establishment Democrats are now harshly denouncing the president for his war on transparency
- 2013/03/16: WSWS: Obama renews calls for slashing Medicare, Social Security
- 2013/03/15: BBerg: Obama Told House Democrats to Look at Entitlement Changes
President Barack Obama told House Democrats this week that it’s better to make changes to entitlement programs when a Democrat is in office rather than risk doing so under a Republican chief executive, according to two lawmakers who attended.
Obama urged House Democrats at the Capitol yesterday to consider changes to Medicare and Social Security to make those programs more “sustainable” in the long run as part of a broader accord on deficit reduction, Democratic Representatives Robert Andrews of New Jersey and Peter Welch of Vermont said in separate interviews.
- 2013/03/13: CCurrents: Obama’s Evil Empire
- 2013/03/14: CBC: Obama says Iran a year away from developing nuclear weapon
- 2013/03/14: FDL: Obama Plans For Spy Agencies To Have Total Access To American’s Financial Information
- 2013/03/14: CDreams: Rand Paul Exposes the Democrats
Rand Paul was denounced as the wrong man with the right message, but most Democrats were too craven to deliver any message at all on the high crimes of their president and his killing assistant.
- 2013/03/13: AANS: How Palestinians are greeting Obama
- 2013/03/12: DemNow: After Vowing Greater Transparency, Obama Admin Increasingly Censoring, Withholding Info from Public
- 2013/03/13: WSWS: Obama calls for deeper cuts as Republicans, Democrats propose budget plans
- 2013/03/09: BBC: Alice Walker - honouring truth
For her and many others, President Barack Obama's historic rise to the White House was a hopeful moment, but for her, an all-too-fleeting one.
"He charmed me, he held out a wonderful vision of a different way," she remarked wistfully, and then broke into a smile. "I was naive," she remarked.
"He and his family are visually beautiful," she explained. "But it's not so good to watch the continuation of policies we deeply disagree with."
She singled out the use of deadly weapons, including drone warfare, that she described as criminal.
In Alice Walker's view, the president "listens to bankers, not to us, the masses... the women, children and poets".
- 2013/03/07: CCurrents: Obama Administration Claims Right To Assassinate Citizens Within The US
- 2013/03/08: RT: Drone semantics: Obama’s definition of ‘combat’ may be unlike ordinary humans’
- 2013/03/06: Guardian(UK): Obama promised to close Guantánamo. Instead, he's made it worse
- 2013/03/07: WashingtonsBlog: Attorney General Holder: Prez Can Assassinate Americans On U.S. Soil
Because America Is a Battlefield In The Eyes of the Government
- 2013/03/07: Guardian(UK): President Obama and his secret executive friends
- 2013/03/07: Guardian(UK): Obama must reveal legal memos on his administration's drone killing program
- 2013/03/07: WSWS: Obama administration claims right to assassinate citizens within the US
- 2013/03/04: Telegraph(UK): Barack Obama a 'dithering, controlling, risk-averse' US president
Barack Obama is a "dithering" president whose controlling tendencies and extreme risk-averse attitude to foreign policy has damaged US interests in the Middle East, according to a new book by a senior former State Department adviser.
- 2013/03/04: WSWS: Obama signals cuts to remain in place -- Sequester initiates new austerity drive against US workers
- 2013/03/01: CPW: The Obama Drone War Doctrine We Still Know Nothing About
- 2013/02/27: BBerg: Obama’s SEC Pick Wary of Zealous Wall Street Prosecutions
- 2013/02/25: CCurrents: Obama’s Israel Trip: Ignore The Hype, It’s Four More Years Of Settlement Growth
- 2013/02/27: DemNow: Obama’s Chilling Secrecy, From Denying Drone Program’s Existence to Stonewalling on Legal Memos
- 2013/02/27: WSWS: Obama combines sequester cuts with demagogy
- 2013/02/25: FDL: Secrecy Games: Obama Had Official Policy to Not Acknowledge Drone Program Existed
- 2013/02/20: CJR: Drones and transparency -- White House criticized for secrecy, PBS’s NOVA for conflict
- 2013/02/22: Guardian(UK): Obama officials refuse to say if assassination power extends to US soil
The administration's extreme secrecy is beginning to lead Senators to impede John Brennan's nomination to lead the CIA
- 2013/02/21: RT: Obama moves to keep kill list memos secret forever
- 2013/02/21: BRitholtz: What’s Wrong with the Financial Services Industry?
All of these add up to a system that is flawed, and often fails to do its job.
This sort of problem used to be cyclical -- they run to the point of excess, than a crisis causes the pendulum to swing the other way. The great tragedy of Obama/Geithner/Summers was that crisis moment to undo the damage was missed, and indeed, the concentration of power amongst the banks only made it worse.
I fear we have to wait until yet another crisis for this to be repaired . . .
- 2013/02/19: CCurrents: What The 1% Heard During Obama's State Of The Union Speech
- 2013/02/19: Resilience: Sliding down the slippery slope: A truth too big for Obama
"Now, the good news is, we can make meaningful progress on this issue [climate change] while driving strong economic growth."
With that sentence from his State of the Union address, President Obama capitulated to paltry cynicism. Alas, he will not be the president who finally comes clean on the trade-off between economic growth and environmental protection. Obama is now committed to win-win, green-growth rhetoric.
- 2013/02/19: al Jazeera: The lost promise of Barack Obama
A smarter empire is no substitute for a lost republic.
- 2013/02/18: FDL: White House Tasks Itself With Controlling Speech On The Internet
- 2013/02/18: uComics: (cartoon - Rall) Mohammed - Hero Drone Commander of the Pakistani Army(tm)
- 2013/02/12: Nation: (cartoon - TomTom) Constitutional Law 101 With Professor Droney
- 2013/02/14: Guardian(UK):GG: Obama DOJ again refuses to tell a court whether CIA drone program even exists
As the nation spent the week debating the CIA assassination program, Obama lawyers exploit secrecy to shield it from all review
- 2013/02/15: WashingtonsBlog: Bush Was a Total Disaster ... Obama Is WORSE
- 2013/02/15: Guardian(UK):GG: Obama, the US and the Muslim world: the animosity deepens
Another new poll, this one of Pakistan, shows: a central promise of Obama for improving US security is an utter failure
- 2013/02/13: WSWS: Obama defends drone assassinations in State of the Union address
- 2013/02/12: WSWS: Obama pushes austerity in the guise of defending the "middle class"
- 2013/02/05: SST: "Kill List" justification from "Justice"
- 2013/02/10: NakedCapitalism: Obama’s Prefabricated Henhouse: Notes on The 2013 Inaugural Address, Part I
- 2013/02/07: AmericaBlog: "We aren’t known for torturing people any more. In the Obama era, we’re known for killing them."
- 2013/02/06: PoN: Toward the World of Nightmare (I)
- 2013/02/05: FDL: White Paper Asserts Obama Administration May Kill Americans Without Due Process
- 2013/02/05: Guardian(UK):GG: Chilling legal memo from Obama DOJ justifies assassination of US citizens
The president's partisan lawyers purport to vest him with the most extreme power a political leader can seize
- 2013/02/05: Guardian(UK): Leaked Obama administration memo sets out case for killing US citizens
- 2013/02/04: ACLU: Justice Department White Paper Details Rationale for Targeted Killing of Americans
Document Outlines Government’s Claimed Authority to Kill American Citizens Outside Combat Zones
- 2013/02/05: Yahoo:TAW: Take a Rare Look at How Obama Decides to Send Drones to Kill Americans
- 2013/02/04: NBC: Justice Department memo reveals legal case for drone strikes on Americans
- 2013/02/04: RawStory: Obama gets power to wage pre-emptive cyber warfare
- 2013/02/05: WSWS: Obama administration claims power to authorize pre-emptive cyberwar strikes
- 2013/02/05: al Jazeera: Exile the Obama way
Through utilisation of the federal No-Fly list, authorities are increasingly subjecting individuals to de facto exile.
- 2013/02/04: WSWS: Further cave-in by Obama on contraceptives
- 2013/02/03: Guardian(UK): Joint Special Operations Command: Obama's secret assassins
The president has a clandestine network targeting a 'kill list' justified by secret laws. How is that different than a death squad?
- 2013/01/29: Guardian(UK):GG: Obama's non-closing of GITMO, kind NYT headlines, and US government irony
The excuse used to justify Obama's failure to close GITMO is incomplete and misleading.
- 2012/07/23: Salon:GG: The Obama GITMO myth
New vindictive restrictions on detainees highlights the falsity of Obama defenders regarding closing the camp
- 2013/01/21: FDL: Lupe Fiasco Removed From Inaugural Party After Criticizing Obama
- 2013/01/22: WSWS: Lupe Fiasco kicked off US inaugural stage while performing anti-war song
Lupe Fiasco, the Grammy-nominated and multi-platinum-selling musician, was removed from the stage at an official pre-inauguration concert Saturday while he was performing "Words I Never Said," an anti-war song.
Amid the scripted, self-congratulatory celebrations and parties surrounding the 2013 presidential inauguration, the first sign of political opposition was treated as a criminal act and suppressed by security guards.
The artist’s decision to perform the song -- which denounces militarism, the attack on democratic rights, and austerity -- in addition to being an act of personal courage, echoes the sentiments of millions of people in their opposition to the policies of the Obama administration.
The song, the second single from Lupe Fiasco’s third studio album, Lasers, is a denunciation of the "war on terror" and ongoing attacks on democratic rights.
- 2013/01/22: al Jazeera: Four more years of 'it could have been worse'
Four years after Obama's historic inauguration, the biggest change is that there is no hope for the economy.
- 2013/01/15: ArcticNews: Remarks at the White House - by James Hansen
- 2013/01/18: Rabble: Why Obama is not a socialist
- 2013/01/18: uComics: (cartoon - Rall) Policing the World
- 2013/01/16: uComics: (cartoon - Rall) They said Obama Would ...
- 2013/01/16: CCurrents: King: I Have A Dream. Obama: I Have A Drone
- 2012/08/: Esquire: The Lethal Presidency of Barack Obama
Sure, we as a nation have always killed people. A lot of people. But no president has ever waged war by killing enemies one by one, targeting them individually for execution, wherever they are. The Obama administration has taken pains to tell us, over and over again, that they are careful, scrupulous of our laws, and determined to avoid the loss of collateral, innocent lives. They're careful because when it comes to waging war on individuals, the distinction between war and murder becomes a fine one. Especially when, on occasion, the individuals we target are Americans and when, in one instance, the collateral damage was an American boy.
- 2013/01/14: AANS: The Barry Obama Doctrine
- 2013/01/14: WSWS: Obama’s cabinet of austerity and war
- 2013/01/09: NakedCapitalism: Eric Zuesse: Obama Administration Lies, Then Covers Up, to Minimize BP Liabilities for Deepwater Horizon Disaster
- 2013/01/09: DemNow: As Brennan Tapped for CIA, Case of Somali Detainees Highlights Obama’s Embrace of Secret Renditions
- 2013/01/08: DemNow: 4 Years After Vow to Close Gitmo, Why Has Obama Signed NDAA Bill Barring Transfer of Its Prisoners?
- 2013/01/07: CDreams: Former Adviser: Obama as 'Ruthless and Indifferent to Rule of Law' as Bush
Americans 'unaware of the scale of the drone program ... and the destruction it has caused in their name'
- 2013/01/07: WSWS: Obama administration blocks information request on assassination of US citizens
- 2013/01/06: al Jazeera: Blowing the whistle on Obama's America
Do the threats facing whistleblowers under Obama's presidency mean Americans know less about what their government does?
- 2013/01/06: NakedCapitalism: Eric Zuesse: Understanding President Obama’s Strategy to Force Cutting Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid
- 2013/01/06: al Jazeera: Obama and the transformation illusion
The US president's floundering overshadows himself when the real problems seem to be avoided.
- 2013/01/05: uComics: (cartoon - Stantis) Obama at Soldronera
- 2013/01/04: LA Times: Justifying assassination
If the White House is going to act as judge, jury and executioner in targeting individuals with airstrikes, the least it can do is divulge its legal rationale.
- 2013/01/04: CDreams: Obama Administration Needs to Explain Drone Strikes
- 2013/01/05: WSWS: Obama signs Pentagon bill maintaining Guantanamo and military detention
- 2013/01/04: al Jazeera: Obama fails to close Guantanamo prison
By refusing to veto the National Defence Authorisation Act, Obama has allowed the controversial facility to stay open.
- 2013/01/04: WSWS: Obama and torture
- 2013/01/02: ICH: Obama’s Deal Gave Away All His Leverage
- 2013/01/01: WaPo: Renditions continue under Obama, despite due-process concerns
- 2013/01/02: CDreams: Mysterious Court Appearance Proves Rendition Alive and Well Under Obama
- 2013/01/03: CDreams: Obama’s New Year’s Resolution: Protect the Status Quo
Last modified March 8, 2014