- Wiki: Corporate Personhood
- Move to Amend - "We the corporations"
- Wiki: Santa Clara County v. Southern Pacific Railroad
Santa Clara County v. Southern Pacific Railroad Company, 118 U.S. 394 (1886) was a United States Supreme Court case dealing with taxation of railroad properties. The decision was instrumental in laying the foundation for modern laws regarding corporate personhood, ruling that the Fourteenth Amendment equal protection clause granted constitutional protections to corporations as well as to natural persons.
- 2014/06/07: CCurrents: Redefining "We The People" - SCOTUS And The PlutocRATS
- 2014/05/23: CPunch: How Citizens United Has Perverted the Democratic Party and Its Allies
- 2014/04/04: CPunch: Ethics and Morality at the End of History -- In the Age of Corporate Personhood
- 2014/01/21: UCSUSA:B: Companies, Trade Groups, and Climate Change: Why We Need an SEC Rule on Corporate Political Disclosure
- 2013/07/07: CDreams: America's Most Dynamic (Yet Under-Covered) Movement: Overturning 'Citizens United'
- 2013/05/30: CDreams: Beyond Personhood: Why Corporations Love the Constitution More Than You do
- 2013/05/22: CDreams: 'Tremendous Victory' in Growing Rebuke of Citizens United
Los Angeles joins more than 175 cities in national push for constitutional amendment
- 2013/05/11: CDreams: Corporations, Humans and Taxes
- 2013/03/13: DemNow: Overturning Citizens United: Is a Constitutional Amendment the Best Path to Limit Dark Money?
- 2013/02/23: RawStory: Montana legislator introduces bill to give corporations right to vote
- 2013/02/04: CCurrents: Corporate Personhood And The Culture of Pathology
- 2012/11/17: CSM: Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito takes on critics, defends Citizens United
- 2012/10/29: TRN: Koch Brothers and the Road to "Citizens United" -- Greg Palast: When billionaires break the law, they get the law changed
- 2012/10/22: BRitholtz: Corporations are People. Evil People
- 2012/07/13: AlterNet: More Fallout From Citizens United: Corporations Granted More Power to Propagandize to Americans
- 2012/06/27: uComics: (cartoon - Toles) Citizens United & Montana
- 2012/06/27: DemNow: Citizens United, Part 2? Supreme Court Overturns Montana Law Banning Corporate Spending on Elections
- 2012/06/25: AlterNet: How Right-Wingers on the Supreme Court Sold Our Democracy Down the River -- Again
When the gavel fell in the U.S. Supreme Court’s chamber after the justices overturned Montana’s century-old ban on corporate electioneering on Monday, it drove another nail into the coffin of American democracy.
Of course, America’s campaign finance laws have been riddled with loopholes for years. What’s new and scary is the emerging audacity and overt politicization of the Supreme Court.
- 2012/06/25: CDreams: Supreme Court Upholds Citizens United; Tightens Corporate Stranglehold on Campaign Finance
In 5-4 decision, court strikes down Montana ban on corporate donation law, strengthening Citizens United
- 2012/06/18: AlterNet: How Top Law Professors Are Working To Expand Corporations’ Constitutional 'Rights'
- 2012/06/01: DemNow: The OCCUPIED Amendment: Rep. Ted Deutch on Banning Corporate Campaign Money Post-Citizens United
- 2012/05/25: AlterNet: How I Became Stephen Colbert's Lawyer -- And Joined the Fight to Rescue Our Democracy from Citizens United
- 2012/05/14: EconView: The "Aggressive Conservative Judicial Activism of the Roberts Court"
- 2012/05/11: TreeHugger: More and More People, Cities and States Support Overturning Citizens United
- 2012/04/29: AlterNet: Corporate Personhood Is Not the Problem with Citizens United
- 2012/04/28: ERabett:BSD: Citizens United's worst impact will be where you can't see it
- 2012/04/27: AlterNet: Corporate Legal Rights Grow As Courts Block Pro-Consumer Class Action Suits
- 2012/04/19: Consumerist: Vermont Lawmakers Vote For Constitutional Amendment To Declare That Corporations Are Not People
- 2012/04/13: TruthOut: Vermont Senate Resolves to Abolish "Corporate Personhood"
- 2012/04/13: TreeHugger: Vermont Senate Votes Against Citizens United, Corporate Personhood
- 2012/03/22: EnergyBulletin: In small groups and small towns, opposition to Citizens United spreads
- 2012/03/26: TreeHugger: California Assembly Endorses Amendment to Overturn Citizen's United
- 2012/03/12: uComics: (cartoon - Toles) The Million Dollar Querstion
- 2012/03/07: DemNow: Vermont Voters Back Grassroots Campaign to Abolish Corporate Personhood
- 2012/03/08: AlterNet: Tom Ferguson: AlterNet's Key Expert in Fighting the Battle Against Citizens United and Obscene Money Influence in Campaigns
- 2012/03/05: RawStory: Vermont towns to vote on challenging Citizens United ruling
- 2012/03/07: TreeHugger: Vermont Towns Vote Yes On Overturning Citizens United Ruling
- 2012/03/04: uComics: (cartoon - Toles) Latest from the courts
- 2012/02/21: AlterNet: Why Is the ACLU Helping the Richest Americans Buy Our Elections?
- 2012/02/15: AlterNet: Fifty Activist Groups Call for Congressional Hearings on Citizens United
- 2012/02/06: uComics: (cartoon - Toles) Supreme Court
- 2012/01/19: AlterNet: The Uphill Battle Against Citizens United: Tricky Legal Terrain and No Easy Fixes
- 2012/01/06: DemNow: Occupy New Hampshire Member on His Exchange with Mitt Romney over Support for Corporate Personhood
- 2012/01/05: DemNow: Occupy New Hampshire Protester Takes Romney to Task for Declaring "Corporations Are People"
- 2012/01/05: DemNow: Citizens United Backlash Grows from Cali. to NYC Urging Congress to Overturn Corporate Personhood
- 2012/01/01: CCurrents: Corporate Personhood: Rights Without Responsibilities
- 2012/01/01: AlterNet: Montana High Court Says 'Citizens United' Does Not Apply In Big Sky State
- 2011/12/15: MoJo: Can Citizens United be Rolled Back?
Behind the fight to overturn the Supreme Court ruling that unleashed a torrent of corporate election spending.
- 2011/12/16: WiC: Can Citizens United be rolled back?
- 2011/12/12: AlterNet: The Health of Children and Consumers is Threatened by Conservative Push for Corporate Speech Rights
- 2011/12/12: TreeHugger: Los Angeles City Council Votes Against Corporate Personhood
- 2011/12/08: CCurrents: L.A. And Occupy L.A. Agree: It's Time To End Corporate Personhood
- 2011/12/08: RawStory: Sen. Sanders files amendment to end corporate personhood
- 2011/12/06: AlterNet: The Real History of 'Corporate Personhood': Meet the Man to Blame for Corporations Having More Rights Than You
- 2011/11/28: AlterNet: 'We the People' versus 'We the Corporation': Sentiment Builds for Banning Corporate Personhood, But Tough Road Ahead
- 2011/11/23: AlterNet: The Fascinating History of How Corporations Became "People" -- Thanks to Corrupt Courts Working for the 1%
- 2011/11/09: DemNow: "Corporations Are Not People": Activists Push Amendment to Revoke "Corporate Personhood"
- 2011/08/12: CBC: Romney defends 'corporations are people' statement
- 2011/08/12: al Jazeera:'Corporations are people, my friend...'
Big businesses have long had the same economic rights as citizens, yet few of the moral responsibilities.
Thank God for Mitt Romney.
In a moment of candour he likely thought would win him much needed support from the Tea Party wing of the Republican Party, the presidential candidate explained his thinking to a heckler - who asked why he didn't feel corporations should share more of the economic burden of reducing the deficit:
"Corporations are people, my friend ... of course they are. Everything corporations earn ultimately goes to the people. Where do you think it goes? Whose pockets? Whose pockets? People's pockets. Human beings, my friend."
- 2011/07/14: AlterNet: Banning Corporate Personhood: How Communities Are Taking the Law Back from Big Companies
- 2011/07/02: BoingBoing: Move to Amend: coalition to abolish corporate personhood
- 2011/06/01: SST: Corporations as People
- 2002/12/11: CDreams: The Railroad Barons Are Back - And This Time They'll Finish the Job by Thom Hartmann
- 2011/05/02: AlterNet: Wal-Mart -- It's Alive! How the Company Is Terrorizing the Country With its Corporate 'Personhood'
- 2011/04/12: RawStory: Madison activists push resolution to deny constitutional rights to corporations
- 2011/03/19: DVoice: Collaboration against Democracy -- US Chamber of Commerce and US Supreme Court
- 2011/03/02: EFF: Supreme Court Backs Government Transparency Over Corporate Privacy Claims
- 2011/03/02: RawStory: Supreme Court: Corporations don’t have ‘personal privacy’ rights
- 2011/03/02: IoI: U.S. Supreme Court: Corporations Do Not Have Personal Privacy Rights
- 2011/03/02: CCurrents: Five Ways You Can Fight Citizens United
- 2011/01/29: AlterNet: Corporations Ain't People, So Why Do They Have the Power of Citizens?
Last modified June 21, 2014